neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
robotam said:
Well gentlemen tell us about your latest exploits
"After Drek's defeat there were parades, press confrences, fancy dress balls-"
"And the weiner roast at Al's"
How I love this game.

"I must humbley request your sustenance on a misson of dire urgitude! On a misson of supertiuous peril! On a mission of unequizzical Imperitude!...

"Did that make any sense?"

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
"The legends speak of an ancient evil known only as Cthulhu...."

Cthulhu saves the world

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
Why do most of the posts here include the quotation but fail to say what game it is from? I haven't played every game. If you think the game is worthy enough to have the best opening line ever I would like to know the name of it.

Dec 3, 2011
"They told me... son, you're special. You were born to do great things. You know what? They were right." - BioShock

"It's a ME, MARIO!!" - Super Mario 64

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
s0p0g said:
"I am Gabriel Angelos, Captain of the Blood Ravens."

awesome because of the awesomeness that comes afterwards; and great voice acting by Paul Dobson
As awesome as the Dobson Brothers are, Fred Tatasciore and whoever voiced Azariah Kyras steal the show in Retribution and Chaos Rising. Araghast the Pillager!

No! No one is more epic than a Spess Mahreen!
i think that Dobson's voice is just... fuller, bigger, Spess Mahreen!
that doesn't mean at all that Giles doesn't do a great job; he sounds just like a Daemon prince to be should sound like; heinous, fiendish, cold ^^

but i'll still go with epic ;)

niege

Aug 16, 2009
"Surrender or die"
"Don't you mean surrender OR die "
"not in this town"
Jak & Daxter II Renegade

Kursura

Apr 8, 2010
?Stories are supposed to start at the beginning, isn?t so simple with this one.? Bastion

I think that?s how it?s said. It sets the stage really well, especially once you realise its importance to the story.

a Soviet Pie

Apr 30, 2009
"Well, says No-bark, we got a chupacabra with an automatic weapon. And that's when they get real quiet, 'cause now they see the predicament we're in. He had himself a blunderbuss that would spin around real fast and shoot bullets out of a backpack! I ain't seen nothing like it!"

leonhax

Jul 5, 2011
knights of the old republic one

.... weve been ambushed by the sith

the fact that i remember that line after not playing the game for over 3 years says something

Onihoshi

Feb 1, 2009
"Some Groups Just Dont Get Along..." - KKND (PSX)
The whole monologue, easily one of the best mood builders ever.

ChaosEternal

Feb 4, 2011
niege said:
"Surrender or die"
"Don't you mean surrender OR die "
"not in this town"
Jak & Daxter II Renegade
I am assuming you meant surrender and die. Otherwise I am just confused, and would likely need to hear the quote myself to understand it. :p

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
"Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: asphalt... and trouble."

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
SimpleChimp said:
"The more things change, the more they stay the same. Boundaries shift, new players step in, but power always finds a place to rest its head. We fought and bled alongside the Russians. We shoulda known they'd hate us for it. History is written by the victor. And here I am, thinking we'd won. But you bring down one enemy and they find someone even worse to replace him. Locations change, the rationale, the objective. Yesterday's enemies are today's recruits. Train them to fight alongside you, and pray they don't eventually decide to hate you for it too." by Com. Shepard

I don't care what you say about the game, that is a damned good opening monologue.
I agree, but General Shepherd said that, not Commander Shepard. Very big difference there.

Anyway, one of my favorites would probably have to be Mass Effect.

peruvianskys said:
Yeah, like everyone seems to be saying, COD 4's opening line of "50,000 people used to live here. Now it's a ghost town. I've never seen anything like it." is really pretty great. Half-Life 2, Fallout, the first voice over in Thief 2, and the intro to Hitman 2 all stick with me as well. Also I don't know if it counts but about half an hour into Saints Row when you jump out of the helicopter definitely counts as one of the best "LET'S DO THIS" intros ever.
Except that's not an opening line in CoD4. MacMillian says that about halfway through the game.