Most milked franchise

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
I am surprised by all the people not saying Madden or FIFA. I mean, not that this makes them worse at what they do (if you like sports games), but haven't they had a yearly release schedule for ages, and changed little for many, many installments?
Madden & Fifa! XD

On a different note: Pro Evo soccer games are often quite good...as opposed to Fifa...or so I'm told. I really couldn't care less. Sports games and I weren't meant to be.

Derlwyn

Jul 11, 2011
Yeah, it has to be Star Wars.

Movies: Original and Prequel Trilogies. How many combinations of releases and re-releases have there been?
Television: Clone Wars Season 1+2, The "new" Clone Wars (Three Seasons), Holiday Live Action Special, Planned upcoming live action series
Video Games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games
Books and Novels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books\
Graphic Novels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Comic_Books
Board Games, Card Games, Role Playing Games, and nigh uncountable various Halloween costumes.

Lucas will never been done milking this cow, not that I'm really complaining. At least, I'll stop being snippy when Battlefront 3 is released. That'll shut me up for a while.

JB1528

Mar 17, 2009
Mario and Call of Duty. Those two whores are shameless and will let ANYBODY do them for a mere $60 dollars. Regardless of age, marital status, or even if they have STD's or not....pitiful.

Bacaruda

Jul 10, 2011
Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy. They tie for the #1 spot. But Call of Duty and Battlefield are runner-ups. I do like Call of duty and Battlefield though.
And you can't really milk any of those EA sports titles.

Piejamas

Mar 21, 2011
I'm surprised Pokemon hasn't come up yet. 5 generations, each the same, and each encouraging you to buy the game twice, sometimes 3 times. Not to metion all the spinoffs.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
Star Wars. Just Star Wars. But there is still plenty of milk left.
I wonder if a perpetual milk-conceiving machine is possible... because the franchise is still *somehow* raking it in after all these years. Maybe the machine drains the life-force of the milk-consumers to spawn from the ether, yet more content they can use and actually get money for. DIABOLICAL!

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Final fantasy
COD
Mario
Sonic
Fifa

I'm sure people could come up with loads of different games that have just been re made or sequeled so many times.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
brandon237 said:
spectrenihlus said:
I wonder if a perpetual milk-conceiving machine is possible... because the franchise is still *somehow* raking it in after all these years. Maybe the machine drains the life-force of the milk-consumers to spawn from the ether, yet more content they can use and actually get money for. DIABOLICAL!
George Lucas is a sith lord.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
1) The well-known sports games that bring out a new edition every year with a set of 'new' features the size of a DLC add-on.

2) The big Nintendo franchises.

The way they keep whoring out their characters to all sorts of spin-offs, abusing the fandom's nostalgia, never cutting the prices of their lead games... It's quite disturbing, really. Especially since most of those people think Nintendo is this nice, colorful, innocent company compared to the power-hungry Sony and Microsoft.

It always reminds me of "Mom Corp." from Futurama.

3) Not Final Fantasy.

Why? Because contrary to most Nintendo franchises, each Final Fantasy game is unique in almost every way (with exception of a few bad seeds like FF X-2, FF IV: The After Years and the soon-to-disappoint FF XIII-2). Except for the names of some spells and species, everything is different: characters, story, environments, style, setting, battle system, music, menus, etc.

Sure, Square-Enix might be a nasty corporation these days: publishing some bad games, overpricing remakes, putting out C&D's on fan-created games, releasing FF XIV all buggy, making FF XIII an interactive movie... But you still can't blame them for not trying something new. If Nintendo were making Final Fantasy, we'd still be stuck with FF I mechanics.

The only and obvious exception to all this being the Final Fantasy VII Compendium, that's genuine 'milking out' right there. They really should have just kept it at one game. And, possibly in the future, the Final Fantasy XIII games.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Anything made by nintendo? Sonic, Mario, Zelda are all milked dry.

The Hero games were also milked to death.

I think any "this is the last one ... except for the next 3" are all milkings, although I think MGS falls under that and I am total MGS fanboy.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
brandon237 said:
spectrenihlus said:
George Lucas is a sith lord.
I think this explains that quite nicely :p

And the first video for continuity sake:

Now we must fight George, but please not near any lava or massive open chasms that the franchise loves, he can script defeats around those too easily :(

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
The only correct answer to this is Guitar Hero, simply because of the density of their releases. Call of Duty, yes, is very cash-cowed, but not quite as badly as GH was.

puffy786

Jun 6, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Half-Life. Valve has based all their reputation on one game and have been selling it (and it's mods) ever since.
How is Half-life a cash cow franchise? Theres been only 2 2/3 games + 2 very short and cheap expansions packs. It's not even a franchise!