Most obnoxious enemies in video games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
I don't remember ever having a problem with the Satyrs, what was it that bugged you guys about them?

The vertical spinning blade columns, on the other hand, drove me nuts.
Taking on just one is easy; you just grab button him to death. But as soon as another one enters the fight, the grab button goes right out the window. The main problem I had with them apart from being fast and strong is that they're extremely unpredictable. You never really know how they're going to attack or counter your attack.

I didn't even find them that difficult in the first game since the Blade of Artimes makes short work of them, but I had a much tougher time in the rest of the games.

I don't know if you played God of War 3, but...

...there's one instant where you're pit against a cerberus that spits exploding dogs. After you've cut off one of it's heads, a satyr joins the fight. Cut off the second head and two more satyrs enter.

Playing this sequence on Hard was infuriating.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Can I just say something about the Fallout things mentioned here, thus far? Okay, yeah, Cazadors are annoying pains in the ass, too which I'll add Giant Radscorpions because I'll get a ton of them at one time. But Deathclaws and Enclave soldiers? That doesn't fit my definition of obnoxious.

First of all, Deathclaws are fucking scary. They are your Holy Shit enemy, the monsters of the series. Not some giant bug creature, but an evolved predator which understands its role in the universe...to be badass. Meeting them early on IS bad, but that's just the luck of the dice. They're suppose to still be bad at level 30, so don't feel bad.

Second, the Enclave are not obnoxious for being in groups, using some tactics, and having high-tech stuff on their side. Powersuits and plasma rifles has been their shtick from day one and that's pretty hardcore. But them staying in groups and moving around as a well-trained unit is par for the course. They're the U.S. military. It makes sense in context.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Nanissimov said:
Everyone has some, and i got the idea to write this article when i was playing Fallout 3 today, so here are some of mine, what are yours?

#1 Enclave Soldiers (Fallout 3) Extremely annoying because they stayed in packs and carried laser guns which broke my armor like a hammer to the groin.

#2 Gas Zombies (Dead Rising 2) Again traveled in packs but these Mother******* would jump and make you do a quick time event in a quarter of a second, and if you failed, you died.

3) Everyone (Far Cry 2) As mentioned in ZP grass in this game does nothing to conceal from the enemies telescopic vision and they would snipe you the moment they glimpsed your shoelace from half a mile away, and early on in the game they were eating my buttock like roast beef, I only won the game because of the sniper rifle's so i can out snipe them.

So that's what i can think of, what about you?
I'm not sure you get the definition of obnoxious, annoying or difficult does not equal obnoxious.

My example would be Borgia guards on Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, the bastards push you around when you're just walking around minding your own business, knocking you into walls and calling you the arsehole, now that's obnoxious.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I don't remember ever having a problem with the Satyrs, what was it that bugged you guys about them?

The vertical spinning blade columns, on the other hand, drove me nuts.
Taking on just one is easy; you just grab button him to death. But as soon as another one enters the fight, the grab button goes right out the window. The main problem I had with them apart from being fast and strong is that they're extremely unpredictable. You never really know how they're going to attack or counter your attack.

I didn't even find them that difficult in the first game since the Blade of Artimes makes short work of them, but I had a much tougher time in the rest of the games.

I don't know if you played God of War 3, but...

...there's one instant where you're pit against a cerberus that spits exploding dogs. After you've cut off one of it's heads, a satyr joins the fight. Cut off the second head and two more satyrs enter.

Playing this sequence on Hard was infuriating.
Alas, I have no PS3 and can't afford one in the foreseeable future. Maybe next year.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
God damn mages in Dragon Age, so much so that me and my friend have an in joke where whenever one of us is playing and we see a mage, we must immediately shout "MAGE, KILL IT!".

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Well, if you know me in Proyect Z (Spanish hl2 modification) you would see me yelling NIIIIINJAAAAAS! because the zombies were so quiet they would hit you and infect you.

Another is the Vortiguants in Synergy (Coop HL2 mod), they can insta-gib you, they can hit you from long range, and they take some damage!

TundraStalax

Jun 8, 2010
what? no Castlevania Medusa heads? escapist, I am dissapoint.

also, Irving from resident evil 5, not hard, but MAN is he OBNOXIOUS!

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
my vote is for those reapers from resident evil 5, they take alot to take down and they can instakill you if they get too close, man i hate them.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Nanissimov said:
Everyone has some, and i got the idea to write this article when i was playing Fallout 3 today, so here are some of mine, what are yours?

#1 Enclave Soldiers (Fallout 3) Extremely annoying because they stayed in packs and carried laser guns which broke my armor like a hammer to the groin.

#2 Gas Zombies (Dead Rising 2) Again traveled in packs but these Mother******* would jump and make you do a quick time event in a quarter of a second, and if you failed, you died.

3) Everyone (Far Cry 2) As mentioned in ZP grass in this game does nothing to conceal from the enemies telescopic vision and they would snipe you the moment they glimpsed your shoelace from half a mile away, and early on in the game they were eating my buttock like roast beef, I only won the game because of the sniper rifle's so i can out snipe them.

So that's what i can think of, what about you?
Without even reading the replies I'm betting there's a lot of "Creepers from MineCraft"

For me it would have to be those tiny ships from Beat Hazard; or the hordes of ninja/assassin/super-soldiers that attack in packs and have massive amounts of health... that are in chapter 3 of PainKiller.

EDIT: no wait- most obnoxious enemy? Iceman from Marvel vs Capcom 2

...or better yet, anyone who picks Ironman online and does the infinite air-combo exploit!

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Rusty Bucket said:
Mutalisks from Starcraft. Fuck those guys.
So what do you hate more?

Mutalisk rush?
Zergling rush?
or Dark Templar rush?

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Jockeys in L4D2 on expert are pretty darn annoying, mostly because their claw attack does some serious hurt.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Mordreich said:
Anyone say cliff racers yet? If not, Cliff Racers.
Took long enough for someone to mention them. Everybody else is chump change in comparison.

Icingdeath

Aug 21, 2009
Any enemy from Bayonetta, but mainly Grace and Glory, I loathed it when those two showed up.

Also quick zombies in Half-Life 2, I remember this one part (I think on Highway 17 or something) where I had to carefully move across a narrow ledge and jump up to a sewage pipe, the moment I jumped up to the pipe, a quick zombie from within the pipe charged me and knocked me off the cliff to my death. Rage ensued.