Most Under-rated Game

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
I don't see why people are saying Saint's Row 2 was underated? It recieved mostly good reviews and sold over 3.5 million units. It was not under rated or anything like that.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
-Seraph- said:
Cryostasis; if you have heard of or played this game, big fucking internet high five. This game (save for a strange ending) was just amazing. It had such an amazing atmosphere that I could feel the chill of the arctic air when playing this game, and the uneasiness of trekking through the corridors of this ghost ship. It's means of presenting the story, the gameplay, and the sound design all came together to form one of the most atmospheric and creepiest games I've every played. Wouldn't call it a horror game, but it did have a creepy vibe to it.
Yea, the ending was pretty much a huge mindfuck, but the game itself was really awesome. I loved the atmosphere and setting. Also, one of my favourite sections of the game was
the enemies in the movie/in the projected images. I had absolutely no idea what to do at first and was like wtf is going on, but it was just a really, really cool idea.
I read about it on one of those hidden gems lists, that is made every year and not regretting buying and playing it at all.

Deshara said:
AlternatePFG said:
KOTOR II. I don't understand the amount of hate it gets from KOTOR fans, I thought it was just as good as the first, and it would have been much better if it had actually been finished. (KOTOR I/II sit firmly in my second favorite game(s) spot).
The problem wasn't that it was bad. It's that it wasn't finished. It is personally my favorite game, and the fact that they didn't finish it is heartbreaking.

Be right back. I'm gonna cry
Luckily, someone finished it for them here. Download the mod and play the game again with it, it really makes the game the masterpiece it was suppossed to be. I highly, highly recommend it.

I'd also second Metro 2033, it's absolutely a brilliant experience for the atmosphere and the world 4A Games built alone. I can't wait for Last Light and getting back to that world.

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
I would say that it upset me that Suikoden II was not as well-received as it deserved, but that would be a lie. You see, if it had received the acclaim and popularity it deserved, instead of being overshadowed by Final Fantasy VIII, then it would have seen a more widespread printing and my copy of the game would be worth a great deal less.

However, if I weren't such a greedy little *****, then I would have to say that it's a damn shame that Suikoden II had the poor fortune of being a JRPG released just a few scant months before a Final Fantasy title (in Japan).

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Valkyria Chronicles. I've never really liked strategy rpg's which is why i was so surprised how much time I ended up sinking into it while still feeling satisfied after putting down the controller. Still pissed of at Sega for not releasing the sequels on PS3 but hopefully we'll get them among the PSP remastered releases

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
-Morrowind
-All the Timesplitters games + Second Sight
-MAG
-Fur Fighters
-Manhunt
-Lost Planet 2
-Singularity
-Bioshock 2's multiplayer

Hot Madness

May 20, 2009
Tractus Vesica said:
The entire Mech Warriors franchise.

Those Japanese assholes at Robotech may very well have killed the franchise for the dumbest fucking reason imaginable. They sued the developers all the way back in 2009 because one of the mechs in the Mechwarrior 5 trailer looked vaguely similar to one of their other FICTIONAL mechs. You know, despite the fact that mech model had been in existence since the mid 90's.

Just talking about this makes me livid even two years later, why the fuck couldn't they have just live and let live?! A FICTIONAL MECH BEING USED IN ANOTHER EQUALLY FICTIONAL GAME UNIVERSE WILL NOT DAMAGE YOUR FRANCHISE'S SALES YOU ROBOTECH TWATS!
Um, you do know that Harmony Gold, who are American, sued over Mechwarrior 5 right? And not the Japanese. Since Robotech is an American creation of stitched together Macross episodes, which is what the show was originally in Japan. And that Harmony Gold, the American company remember, has been suing Mechwarrior since 1996.

albinokid66

Dec 25, 2010
nekroskoma said:
psychonauts
beyond good and evil
everyones mentioning these 2 but they are no way under-rated and recieved astounding 10/10 reviews, in fact if you look up a list of top 50 games of the decade these games would most likely feature and quite high in the list. Everyone seems to confuse sales with being under-rated

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Final Fantasy 7 for sure. I'll admit that it sucked and the other FF games are better than it, but it should at least get a little recognition no?

Will Chandler

Oct 5, 2010
The Adventures of Cookie & Cream (PS2)

The reviews were fairly positive, but I don't think it was widely received by consumers. I had a blast playing with a friend. It also was truly cooperative, not just two people doing single player together.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
uguito-93 said:
Valkyria Chronicles. I've never really liked strategy rpg's which is why i was so surprised how much time I ended up sinking into it while still feeling satisfied after putting down the controller. Still pissed of at Sega for not releasing the sequels on PS3 but hopefully we'll get them among the PSP remastered releases
QFT.

I picked up the game a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I immediately started a new game plus upon completion, which is surprising considering that I've still got to finish Infamous and have the Uncharted 3 beta to distract me.

I recommend it to anyone that owns a PS3.

redeemer09

Jan 19, 2009
JET SET RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-INSERT concpet of love right righ-very underated.i mean come on whats not to like about this graffiti check,crazy soundtrack,amazing character design check check.rollerblades with jets on them....should i say more?the game is the father of cellshade graphics

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Two Worlds, hands down. Apparently, after Oblivion decided it didn't want many of Morrowind's features, that game came along and took them instead. Sad Oblivion didn't have Spears? Have some, they're all over!
Leveled Enemies got you down? Not in Antiloor!
Too much hand-holding? We'll let you go. Have fun!

What more? It's voice acting tops Oblivion's in the "Hilariously Bad" department!

And FF VII's the most Overrated of the series... I don't recall any others getting two spin-off movies and a handful of Spinoff games to go along with them.

Sheetlebug

Jun 20, 2011
The_State said:
I would say that it upset me that Suikoden II was not as well-received as it deserved, but that would be a lie. You see, if it had received the acclaim and popularity it deserved, instead of being overshadowed by Final Fantasy VIII, then it would have seen a more widespread printing and my copy of the game would be worth a great deal less.

However, if I weren't such a greedy little *****, then I would have to say that it's a damn shame that Suikoden II had the poor fortune of being a JRPG released just a few scant months before a Final Fantasy title (in Japan).
If such circumstances hadn't occurred and Suikoden had become more popular, then perhaps S3 would have come to Europe. Forever sad about how it didn't appear on shelves in the UK.
Although, I do understand the feeling of worth I can put on my copy of S2. I will make millions from it one day! ;P

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
tbh im gonna have to say Perfect Dark for N64, it never seems to be noticed next to Goldeneye yet i thought it was SO much better (not that goldeneye was bad of course)

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
Sheetlebug said:
The_State said:

If such circumstances hadn't occurred and Suikoden had become more popular, then perhaps S3 would have come to Europe. Forever sad about how it didn't appear on shelves in the UK.
Although, I do understand the feeling of worth I can put on my copy of S2. I will make millions from it one day! ;P
Honestly, Suikoden 3 was not nearly as good. The story was all over the place, and a bit too big for its own sake. The few characters who re-appear are all slightly off, if not complete bastardizations, and the new characters have so little depth that I didn't really care for them. The castle building mechanic, probably my favorite part of the series, is only available in a small percentage of the story, and only from one character's point of view. Overall I think it tried to do too much and with too large a scope. The multiple PoV choice was kind of neat, but destroyed any kind of focus the story might have had. The little diversions in the game (side-quests, mini-games, etc.) were hit-or-miss, and usually lost appeal in a very short amount of time. It's a decent game in its own right, but falls incredibly short of its predecessor.

Hell, I can't help but think that maybe if Suikoden 2 had sold better, s3 would have been a better game.

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
-Seraph- said:
Advent Rising was awesome (on the PC) and I'm still pissed off that I won't get to play a sequel. The game had really awesome action gameplay and the story had the potential for an entire franchise but due to the Xbox version being buggy and broken it won't happen.
I wondered if I would see Advent Rising in this thread. I too am disappointed that it isn't getting a sequel, as my only real complaints about it are the number of bugs (mostly clipping issues on the PC), the fact that the plot and gameplay are kept entirely separate from each other, and the mediocre voice acting.

Really, though, other people in this thread, if you haven't played it, pick up a copy. Last I checked you could get the PC version for $3.11 on Amazon. It's a very fun game and the script is co-authored by Orson Scott Card. Yes, Orson Scott Freaking Card.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Hah. This is quite an easy one. But no Prince Of Persia, no Sly Raccoon and no Beyond Good & Evil. Does anybody remember this one ?

People complain about crappy movie tie-ins and only give attention to War For Cybertron, which while being a great game, it wasn't the first truly good one. This was the first one that got it right.