Most useless weapons in gaming

Jackhorse

Jul 4, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
FatMan from Fallout 3.
It causes "save for later, never use" syndrome. :|
I gave it to my personal aide, Jericho I think his name was. He used it on a wild dog me and my mate had just noticed out of the corner of our eyes, absolutely bloody hilarious. Completely worth it :')

OT: Grenades from Battlefield 2. Perhaps I just never got used to them but they had an incredulously long fuse, only ever killed one person with it and that was because he was trapped at the bottom of a stairwell with very little health.

EDIT: Edited it for spelling

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
I'd say the impact hammer from UT3. I mean, when the player can carry around 10 guns at a time, why the fuck would you use a melee weapon? It says that the alt fire, an emp blast, can knock a powerup off a player, but you never use it because unreal tournament isn't a game where you get up close and personal, it's a game where there are big maps and people are content at shooting each other at medium range! You just never use it because there are *bigger* and *better* things to kill people with.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
A Username Not In Use said:
People are proberbly going to yell at me for this but I don't care;

The Gravity Gun.

Yes everything can be used for ammunition, yes its an impressive use of physics but I found it didn't have much of a punch unless you had a saw blade, difficult to aim and in many cases left me wide open to attack while I was trying to pick up something decent to shoot with from the piles of crap left lying around.
I'm suddenly reminded of a time when I was watching my brother trying to take out a turret from the front with an explosive barrel... yeah, that didn't end well.

BlindedHunter

Apr 2, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
FatMan from Fallout 3.
I'm very inclined to second this. While the Fat Man may come in handy against the odd Super Mutant Behemoth, and in games in general the super-weapons are needed against some bosses they are almost exclusively designed for, I rarely end up using them - "just in case".

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Fishyash said:
Soviet Heavy said:
This right here.
Ninja'd already...

oKlobb definately, especially since it isn't a joke weapon either.
Ah the gibbering terrified frustration in one hit kills as one tried to gun somebody down with the Klobb as they made a beeline for a more effective weapon.

Or worse turned around and slapped you.

I miss the feelings that game engendered in me. No FPS have ever quite replicated that feeling.

Anyone want to come round for four-player grenade launchers in the temple on license to kill?
SCREENWATCHING MANDATORY

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
I knew this list wouldn?t go for long without a few mentions for Goldeneye?s Klobb.

It was unsatisfying to fire, didn't seem to do much damage, and even if you had two of them you were better off just using a single KF7 Soviet (that's AK47 for some silly copyright reason or something.)

But I do agree with melee being pointless for most (most) FPS games. If melee did more damage than the guns you have, if stealth was absolutely essential, or if ammunition was very scarce then maybe. TF2 (amongst others) used melee very cleverly.

I?ll give a vote to the martial arts in FEAR 1. Yes I know it?s for ?stealth? etc but I?m a bullet-time freak with 10 medikits at my immediate disposal and that Replica might turn around before I reach him anyway!

Maybe the Deku nuts from Ocarina of Time? I don?t know about you but I never used them.

Or maybe that big super-duper worm-launcher thingy from System Shock 2 ? it was rubbish and cost way too many cyber modules to research and equip.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
The Bubble Gun from Earthworm Jim 2. I honestly think it didn't do ANYTHING. Other than be funny.

Other than that, Growl and the various other "lowers defense/attack" moves in Pokemon. Outside of a very few specific situations, there is nearly always a more effective or useful move choice. I deliberately didn't choose Splash because, honestly, its too obvious.

PZF

Nov 1, 2011
I used the fatman for FO3 all the time. I could get 3 mini nukes every wednedsay and sunday, plus all the ones in the wasteland. It's New Vegas when I only got 8 mini nukes, where I saved'em.

Now the MIRV from Fallout3 was really usless. Waste 8 mini nukes when one could do the job.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Not exactly a weapon but rifle infantry in basically every C&C game. They do zero damage to just about everything and for the cost of 2-3 infantry you can get an armored vehicles that has way more firepower, doesn't get run over, and much faster, and can be repaired.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
darkfox85 said:
I knew this list wouldn?t go for long without a few mentions for Goldeneye?s Klobb.

It was unsatisfying to fire, didn't seem to do much damage, and even if you had two of them you were better off just using a single KF7 Soviet (that's AK47 for some silly copyright reason or something.)
The Klobb was actually quieter than most weapons so I guess it had some advantages stealth wise but you couldn't rely on it to hit or kill anything at five yards so that really puts all that into a cocked hat.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Zantos said:
Anything in God of War that wasn't the swords on chains. If the game hadn't physically forced me to use the other alternatives they'd have been gathering dust in, errrr, where the hell does Kratos keep this shit?
Hades, or he should anyway. If I was him I'd be sign up for a season pass and a locker with Pluto quicksmart.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Shane McCay said:
The splash attack from the pokemon series.

END OF TOPIC.
Yeah, I can't top that =/
I was gonna say the needler from Halo 3, but Splash can't be topped.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The metal arm things Jensen had. You couldn't use them as melee. Incidentally I had a dream I was playing Skyrim with those as a first person melee weapon. That was a fun night.

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
CRRPGMykael said:
diebane said:
JesterRaiin said:
FatMan from Fallout 3.
Hm...you're right. You always feel bad when you use it, thinking you just wasted ammo...

I call the poke attack from Worms Armageddon, I think it took away 1 health from the enemy and just pushed him a little.

mfG diebane
Dude, the poking thing from the Worms games was EPIC! Imagine an opponent standing next to an edge, almost full health and everything, then you just come over there and give him a little POKE that sends him to his doom. Better than humiliating people with the knife in the CS games, I tell you.
Sure, it was epic as hell if it worked, but the situation hardly ever came. You had to be sure there was not ONE pixel in the way, it made you look so stupid if you failed to fatality-poke someone. In these situations, I preferred the baseball bat.

mfG diebane

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
The Bubble Gun from Earthworm Jim 2. I honestly think it didn't do ANYTHING. Other than be funny.

Other than that, Growl and the various other "lowers defense/attack" moves in Pokemon. Outside of a very few specific situations, there is nearly always a more effective or useful move choice. I deliberately didn't choose Splash because, honestly, its too obvious.
Didn't Just Cause 2 have a bubble gun too?