Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword Preview

Now you're fighting with gunpowder!

Read Full Article

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
M&B is a really unique game. The graphics might scare off a lot of people: after the Steam sales on the M&B:Warband, it was amazing to see how many people were complaining about the graphics and wanted their moneh back for a game that was worth it at full price.

My only complaint is definitely going in alone, and getting mobbed by the 'ant-like' AI, wish they had the courtesy Assassin's Creed AI displayed, you know, going in, one at a time, only to get slaughtered. On a more, 'serious' side, wish you have a way of dealing with mobs, like a sprint function to run behind your troops, at the cost of morale I guess. "Oh look, their commander is running like a chicken!"

But some of the new additions you mentioned, like being able to speak with an elder from a village menu, wasn't that already implemented in the current build of M&B:Warband?

On the good side, hopefully the new story-flavored quests will prove to be interesting. The introductory level in M&B:warband had the right idea almost I guess.

come to think of it, I never tried any mods for M&B, think i should head back, look for some, and start a new campaign > . >

Junkle

in the trunkle.
Oct 26, 2009
After playing playing Mount and Blade early on, I definitely came to appreciate the rather complex systems that the game has in place, yet lets you figure out and explore on your own. It's one of the better examples of tangential learning, now that I come to think of it. It sounds like this will add on more options, and while the writing was, well, amusing, there were points at which I wanted to slap everyone in my company for arguing about stupid things with each other.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Yeah, after the Steam sale introduce me to the game, I didn't play anything else for over a month. I'm looking forward to Fire and Sword. Sounds like they have introduced a number of features popular from the mods for Warband.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Adding the mods that many people played in Warband (especially the village elder from menu) is good. I'm going to pick it up as soon as it hits sale on Steam.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Ohhhh, guns! I'm looking forward to this anxiously. That should add some sweet starts to fights, with probably a line of gunfire going off early on.

Closest I've had to that was a Star Wars mod I downloaded previously, with blasters. Those fights were absolutely crazy.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Looks quite cool, though i hope not all guns are 1-shot-kill, they seem a bit overpowered. But still looks cool.

One thing that caught my eye was the city of Riga. It made me wonder, is the map somewhat close to reality, or is that just a random name they thought up of? Any chance there's a city called Tallinn or Reval there ?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
I'll admit it sounds interesting, but i think its just too similar to the other expansions to get me playing again, it is a surprisingly fun series if only they made it easier to win, even with the kill every enemy on screen cheat i still couldn't take over the world like i wanted to.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
Owlslayer said:
One thing that caught my eye was the city of Riga. It made me wonder, is the map somewhat close to reality, or is that just a random name they thought up of? Any chance there's a city called Tallinn or Reval there ?
This expansion is based of historical Eastern Europe, so they really should have them. This geographical area and time period is one of the more underestimated settings in gaming.

jez29

Nov 18, 2009
Having played a preview build of this myself, I'm sitting on the fence regarding the guns. It's not due to mechanics: in single player I thought they struck a great balance between power and accuracy and they certainly won't stop bows from being important, but I'm concerned that in multiplayer they'll change the balance of cavalry/infantry/archer that was so well tuned in Warband. Still, multiplayer wasn't in the preview, so who knows? The rest of the game looks very promising and I've no doubt it'll eat up just as many of my hours as the other two games have.

Owlslayer said:
Looks quite cool, though i hope not all guns are 1-shot-kill, they seem a bit overpowered. But still looks cool.

As I mentioned, the guns are quite nicely balanced at present. The only thing I'm annoyed about not having tried is grenades, but they were stupidly expensive in this build (I'm talking in the tens of thousands for a small bag of them, its clearly something that was broken in the preview).

The map is pretty close to the actual geography of Eastern Europe, and that is Riga as in the capital of Latvia, in the right place. I'm not sure if Tallinn is in there though!

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Owlslayer said:

If they took the firearms mod as example, most guns will instantly kill most people. If you are heavy armored you might survive a pistol shot. And i am totally O.K with that. If you ride into a group of people with loaded guns without cover, you deserve being shot. Let your infantry attack and outflank them with the cavalry, or just wait until they fired and use your men as cover before you sprint into their ranks.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
I'll be purchasing this in no time. Anyone who hasn't played Mount and Blade:Warband, you owe it to yourself to give it a try (Unless you're the exclusively Call of Duty type). The graphics aren't the best, but this is one of the few modern games with a completely amazing mod community. Go... http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,119.0.html?PHPSESSID=4ghsnq9qskel04ltic3flh6q87

and look at all the offerings for free! Complete overhauls, HUGE conversions, to tiny addons etc... all available from those developing for the love of the game. I highly suggest the "Floris Mod Pack Expanded Version 2.4 or Later", as an excellent enhancement to the "native" game engine in thousands of ways, and "Prophecy of Pendor 3.301 or Later", another amazing single-player conversion with all new kingdoms, equipment, story, gear, game mechanics and more.

I can only imagine that With Fire and Sword will only enable even greater mods, much the way that Warband allowed modders to do more than plain old Mount and Blade.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
It looks like a polished version of the Eagle and the Radiant Cross mod. Guns, calvary domination, better menus... Yep, sounds like the same game.

Jigero

Apr 15, 2011
Very unimpressed, I loved warband I got like 400 hours so far logged into it. But I don't see anything where that modders haven't already done and most of it just looks recycled. Why would I pay for nothing more then an over glorified mod? Also why are they trying to cram in multiplayer, it's unneeded at best. I rather get a graphical overhaul then buggy and god awful multiplayer that's only gonna be relevant for a week.