Movie based games that are good

scoobyduped

Apr 6, 2008
The LOTR games were good. Both Star Wars Battlefront games were good (even they were essentially just multiplayer with bots). And despite having horrendous voice acting, and being more repetitive than...well, think of the most repetitive thing ever, then think about doing it about 15 times; that gives you the Spider Man 2 game. But if you could get past that, the swinging and combat controls were really great, and actually made it possible for me to ignore the repetitiveness and crappy voice acting.

IvanRosski

Apr 24, 2008
Tie Fighter for the PC (oooh, that makes me feel old!).

It all rather depends on what you define a movie based game to be - Goldeneye is, after all, only very loosely based on the film, and Riddick is explicitly a prequel. Both are still excellent games though.

Most tie-ins, released at the time of the film, often with a goal of just cashing in, well, most of those are a bit crappy.

Most of the games released outside of this window, with a decent dev time, tend to turn out okay - AVP, a lot of the older PC star wars games, and so on...

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
The SNES Disney games were great. Except Jungle Book, I couldn't stand that game.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I was just about to type in that no one had mentioned the origional X-Wing or Tie Fighter but I guess I got beaten too the punch. Most movie tie-ins are made quickly to cash in on the movie and generally are designed to not be terrible rather than to be good.

Does Kingdom Hearts count as a movie tie-in? My sister claims that it and it's sequel are the best games ever made although it generally causes me to want to hurl.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Anyone ever play the old Terminator 2 arcade game? Sure, it inserted plenty of scenes and things that just didn't happen in the movie, but it was a hell of a fun game to play - mostly because it was a shooter. Can't really complain there.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
IRONMAN looks pretty good.
I take it you've yet to play it then.
It's only half finished, what is finished sucks.

Aside from Goldeneye, no movie tie in has ever been great.
A few have been average by dint of not being broken, but Only Goldeneye is great.

Nov 28, 2007
Goldeneye of course. But to say something no one else has, what about the three SNES Star Wars games? Sure, the challenge was brutal on them, but they were still well made, with levels from the movies, character selection, and well done vehicle sections.

fatpie42

May 17, 2008
I thought the Spider-Man game which came out along with Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man movie was better than the movie. But then again, that's more because the movie was horrifically bad than because the game was actually terribly good.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
I personally quite liked Spider-Man 2. The whole free-roaming atmosphere, and the helping citizens in need part gave it a feel that I quite liked. A sort of "day in the life of a super-hero" feel.

From Russia With Love wasn't that bad either, laregly because although it stuck to the story, it wasn't afraid to add in some crazy set pieces.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
everyone keeps saying the star wars games but i can only think of one i really loved. jedi power battles, aside from that the battlefront games were worth a rent and thats it. kotor aside having only one game based on your movie franchise that was really a blast is kind of disturbing i mean really one golden nugget awash in a sea of total shit burgers is a testament to george luscas's ability to whore out the name.

and no kingdom hearts doesn't count because it's not good it sucks and the concept sucks and everything about it sucks.

in my experience the only decent movie based games are the ones that don't follow the movie sotry line and that are made usually at another time rather than being released anytime the movie is in theators or about to be in theators. seriously some of these new pixar movies have games on the shelf before the movie is out and i can't help but wonder who thought that was a good idea?

for me the best movie based game while it is still a peice of shit it's just too much fun to ignore, "judge dredd: dredd vs. death" nothing like staking fat people to the ground and setting them on fire all with just one gun. seriously the lawgiver in that game switched between like 8 different firing modes, spikes, rapid fire, impact rounds, flares, flamethrower, and a couple other i can't remember. just the versatitlity of one gun was highly amusing as it allowed you to hang bodies from the wall in awkward positions.

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
King Kong. Really pretty outstanding for a movie tie-in, to the point that it almost starts to feel like a great game in it's own right.

mightytrash

May 22, 2008
Sorry to ruin this but no movie games are ever good its a fact it can't be done altho i think you can make a game in to a movie which is good but never movie in to a game!

flyer13

May 20, 2008
the James Bond games and the Lord of the Rings games were aaaaawwwwwwsssooooomeeee

Jenny Creed

May 7, 2008
mightytrash said:
Sorry to ruin this but no movie games are ever good its a fact it can't be done altho i think you can make a game in to a movie which is good but never movie in to a game!
What a strange thing to say after 10 or 15 excellent movie games have been pointed out. Unless you didn't read the thread at all, it sounds like you're sorry that those games people think are good are not in fact good because you say so and it's your duty to ruin things and tell people they're wrong.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Darkrai said:
In the history of video games, only 2 movie-based games where great.
Second place-The Warriors-Not only it went back to explain why the Warriors had so many enemies, but the beat-em-up style gameplay with many perks made it different from the rest,
First place-Goldeneye 007-Need I say more?
Hitting someone in the face with a brick never, ever, got old. Loved that game, I was living in NYC when I was playing it and went out to Coney just to see the Wonder Wheel.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN YOU DIIIIIIG IT????
Of Course I can DIIIIG IT!!!!!! I was it was online though

Skalman

Jul 29, 2008
Okay, I'm gonna put it this way:

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Best game based on a movie license! EVER!
I absolutely loved that game, and I'm generally pretty hard to please when it comes to what makes a good game.

Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB is a prequel to the movie Pitch Black (a very good movie imo)
which is then followed by the movie "Chronicles of Riddick" (also very good)
For the real fans there is a short anime movie named "Dark Fury" which takes place between "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick"
Vin diesel plays in all 3 movies and the EFBB game.
There's a remake of the game on it's way named: "Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena" and Includes the story of the previous game but adds more to it and goes a little further. Needless to say there's also improved graphics. There's no official release date yet, but I guess it will be out later this year or beginning of next year.
If they were to make another Chronicles of Riddick movie then I would probably soil myself out of excitement and that being said, I have just realized this post is way longer than I originally intended...
I guess I'm just a Riddick fanboy ^^

Cheers!

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Skalman said:
Okay, I'm gonna put it this way:

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Best game based on a movie license! EVER!
I absolutely loved that game, and I'm generally pretty hard to please when it comes to what makes a good game.

Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB is a prequel to the movie Pitch Black (a very good movie imo)
which is then followed by the movie "Chronicles of Riddick" (also very good)
For the real fans there is a short anime movie named "Dark Fury" which takes place between "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick"
Vin diesel plays in all 3 movies and the EFBB game.
There's a remake of the game on it's way named: "Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena" and Includes the story of the previous game but adds more to it and goes a little further. Needless to say there's also improved graphics. There's no official release date yet, but I guess it will be out later this year or beginning of next year.
If they were to make another Chronicles of Riddick movie then I would probably soil myself out of excitement and that being said, I have just realized this post is way longer than I originally intended...
I guess I'm just a Riddick fanboy ^^

Cheers!
I agree...If it was based on the movie. Technically it was,however it didn't qualify due to the fact it was not related. It explain it yes, but it needs to be at least 75% related. It is a great game though

Xyzgon

Jul 2, 2008
The Lord Of The Rings Return of the King and The Godfather jump to mind. Both great games. Well worth checking out.

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
The Lord of the Rings games were great (I've only played Two Towers and Return of the King) and really captured the epic feel of the movies. What's more fun than single-handedly slaying a caravan full of orcs with an axe-wielding dwarf?