Movie Defense Force: Alien 3

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
As a fan of Alien Verses Predator 2 (the awesome FPS with alien classes) I too agree that Alien 3 was the best of the series. It made AvP2 possible. It -explained- the xenomorphs better than the previous Alien films had and even managed to ease in the idea of Alien Resurrection.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I was going to moan and ***** about how wrong Mr. Sterling was.

But then I bothered to watch the video and, more or less, I think there are some solid points in there.

Although there was a feeling of rushing through the events of Aliens in order to have the status quo of having Ripley on her own. Again.

It's interesting that there was studio interference, which I didn't know about, but the aesthetic of Fury 161 can be seen in a lot of other media.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I know I'm just some guy on the internet but you've expressed an interest in constructive feedback before.

Intro's good. I really like it.

It's a shame that some of the points in this had been covered in the past on Podtoid. But at least it's covered in some great detail.

I really should have guessed an Alien movie would be the first episode.

Background music is great, but a little intrusive at times.

Larger gaps between... paragraphs, I suppose is the word. Stanzas?

Runs quite long, not that it's a problem, just something I noticed.

sideshow

Jan 26, 2012
StBishop said:
It's a shame that some of the points in this had been covered in the past on Podtoid.
show of hands, who here on the escapist knows of Podtoid?

(if not, fix that!)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Alien 3 may not be the best of the series, but its certainly not a bad movie by any means.

also wtf is podtoid.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
i was recently introducing my GF to the Alien series (she grew up in a small town and was rather sheltered) she ended up liking 3 and 4 the best... i was disappointed in her for a bit but after rewatching 3 with her i agree the move is great... until the end... sorry but the end of 3 sucked.

looking forward to more of these Jim!

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
sideshow said:
StBishop said:
It's a shame that some of the points in this had been covered in the past on Podtoid.
show of hands, who here on the escapist knows of Podtoid?

(if not, fix that!)
googling podtoid to figure out what it is.... in 3 ...2 .... 1

They gave hitman absolution 8.5 ........... our tastes don't align. I'm not going any deeper

read badass digest?

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_static/movie-review-the-impossible-is-deplorable

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Neat idea, look forward to seeing more. This is hardly a substantative gripe, but IMHO the intro was overlong. I'm reasonably certain the same message could be conveyed in 20 seconds or less (this was about 45). The point then seemed to be showcasing the animation and music which didn't do much for me. Not that I could do better, but still. Edit for length.

sideshow

Jan 26, 2012
IronMit said:
They gave hitman absolution 8.5 ........... our tastes don't align. I'm not going any deeper
You're entitled to your opinion but I think thats a really stupid way of judging an entire site. Also Jim didn't review that so I hardly see how thats relevant either way

IronMit said:
read badass digest?

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_static/movie-review-the-impossible-is-deplorable
Read the first sentence and our tastes don't align. I'm not going any deeper.

get it now?

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
This could be a pretty cool new series. I like the idea of sticking up for movies most people don't appreciate (here's hoping for a Daredevil episode).
Aliens is still my favorite, but these are some very good points.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I always liked Alien 3. It had a great cast (Pete Postlethwaite!), solid story and a great look.
I never understood the hate.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Strazdas said:
also wtf is podtoid.
It's the podcast Jim hosts over at Destructoid.com. If you like Jim, I'm sure you'll find the podcast entertaining.

As for the show, I like it. Background music was a bit too loud at certain points, but that's a nitpick, I suppose. Think I'll have to watch Alien 3 again now.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Alien 3

Jim Sterling takes famously "awful" films and sees the good in them.

Watch Video
Unfortunately for what is an other wise well argued point, what is wrong with Alien 3 is the beginning. not the content.

Alien 2 goes to all the trouble of the birthing chamber only for Alien 3 to go "LOL, WHILE CLINGING TO THE BACK OF THE SHUTTLE AND MANAGING NOT TO GET INCINERATED BY THE BLAST THAT HITS THE DROP SHIP THE QUEEN SMUGGLED TWO EGGS ON BOARD AND HIDE THEM WHILE NO ONE WAS LOOKING. LOLZORZ"

No, fuck right off you stupid sods. It was however an otherwise very good film.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
I couldn't agree more, Alien 3 is also my favourite of the series, and one of my favourite movies of all time.
I am happy that more and more people seem to get familiar with the Assembly Cut, which fills a lot of holes in, has a longer runtime (seriously what was the studio thinking - cutting the entirety of the payoff of setting the trap for the Alien, one of the inmates even sacrifices himself, just so the Alien chases him into the trap, and not attack Ripley or the others)although I have two issues with the Assembly Cut aseűwell, I wouldn't have replaced the dog with the ox (somehow the scenes during the cremation, where the Alien tears itself out of the living dog, was much darker and brutal, than just climbing out of an already dead ox) , and I liked that the Alien bursts out of Ripley and she is holding it close to her chest as she falls. It's such a beautifully tragic end.

Glad to see Jim do a whole take on the subject, great start for the new show! :)

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Like the new show. Haven't seen Alien 3 in a super long time and can hardly remember it, good time to watch it again I guess, will do soon. Agree on the background music was a little distracting at times, minor issue though. Also, why is it called Alien 3? Alien = First movie, 1 Alien. Aliens = Second movie, lots of aliens therefore plural. I guess Aliens 2 would be confusing as a third movie and Aliens 3 sounds weird.

Anthony Pankuch

Mar 8, 2012
I'm not exactly a regular here, (In fact, I think this might be my first post. Weird.) but as a fan of your work here on the Escapist and on Dtoid, I thought I'd drop some constructive criticism for future episodes.

As others have mentioned, the music is a bit intrusive. I appreciate that it's from Deadly Premonition and, well, just look at the theme of the show, but perhaps turning down the volume on it a bit might be a good idea.

I also couldn't help but think the show was missing something. It just felt a bit lacking personality, especially after the stellar intro. Perhaps try and work in something more, visual-wise for us to enjoy, rather than just clips from the movie-of-the-week. One of the best parts about the Jimquisition is that, while you make your case for the topic at hand, we're being treated to an assault of gloriously screwed up imagery. I'm not saying Movie Defense Force needs dick costumes and shrimps, but a little something to add character to the whole affair would help a lot, in my opinion. Maybe try and integrate some of that fantastic art from the intro into the actual show itself.

All that said, you made some fantastic points, Jim, and I'm looking forward to future episodes!

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Cool new show, I like it.

Just, Jim, please, for the love of Jim, PLEASE leave the Star Wars prequels out of this. Please.