Movie Defense Force: Alien 3

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
When some friends and I went through the films, this is the conclusion we came to. Aliens 4 is good too (AvP2 is as bad as people say however). Aliens 3 also treats religion in the most interesting way out of almost all films I've scene. In the first script draft it was the normal boring religious cult causes disaster thing and somehow it transmuted into something a lot more even handed and clever

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for the feedback so far! Certainly a better first impression than the Jimquisition made. :D

Duly noted on the background music. I'll replace it with something else. It'll still be from Deadly Premonition though!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I've always loved Alien 3, in fact it's the one I remember most vividly watching as a child because of that scene where the Xeno has its face right up in Ripley's, that and the scene where the dude falls into the fan. Gore FTW!!!

Seriously though, never really understood all the flak it got.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Chrono212 said:
It's interesting that there was studio interference, which I didn't know about, but the aesthetic of Fury 161 can be seen in a lot of other media.
Oh yeah, the studio interference in Alien 3 is the stuff of legend now, it's worth getting the special edition DVD just to hear everybody in the 'Making Of...' being pretty frank and open about just how much of a clusterf--k it was during production.

Hell, I'm surprised we even got a coherent film at the end of it all.

OT: I'll admit that I really didn't like Alien 3 when I first saw it, but it has grown on me since then, especially after I saw the Assembly Cut. It should at least get credit for trying to do something different with the franchise, instead of just repeating the events of the previous two movies with a new set of characters (as seems to be the standard with sequels these days).

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
really liked the show and agree with you on alien 3 but i felt like there was something missing, can't put my finger to it but i felt there was a lack the character that the jimquesition has. however that is probably something that sorts itself out in time.
oh and why did jim not show us his beautiful self? half the audience watches just to feast their eyes on him.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
so Thursday is controversy day? yay for in fighting.

OT: I felt that the intro ran a little long. kind of like I was expecting it to end about the time the 3 figures showed up in the background (I started thinking to myself: "wait this is just supposed to be Jim where do the other 3 come from, and why is this still going, is there an actual show, or are we just being shown the intro?)

I felt that the topic was very well covered, and I did like the point, counter-point, defeat counter-point system that was used.

as a question: Jim do you have classical debate training?

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
a show with jim praising mostly thought "bad" movies? thats an awsome idea...
i do agree that alien 3 was good is it the best? idk... but it definitly doesnt deserve the shit it gets...

Fullmetalfox

Apr 5, 2011
Nice video, Jim! I bet all of your fans are hoping to see their guilty pleasure movies in Movie Defense Force.
Best of luck with your new show.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I suppose I would be hoping to much if I expected Jim to talk about my favorite movie of all time, Starship Troopers. That movie in my opinion is the pinnacle of a good/bad movie. A simply fantastically fun watch, yet complete in utter crap in so many areas...that the crapiness actually transcends into being pretty good. Case in point, the acting. The acting in that movie was campy as hell, yet it added to the overall feel of the movie. The acting fit there, unintentional or not. I also love the political subtext behind everything, and the fact that some of its CGI still looks so much better than some of todays modern CGI.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I wasn't actually aware that Alien 3 was a disliked movie. I always thought it was Resurrection that was the reviled Alien movie.

That said, I'm looking forward to future episodes. Has a lot of potential.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
BrotherRool said:
When some friends and I went through the films, this is the conclusion we came to. Aliens 4 is good too (AvP2 is as bad as people say however)...
I don't consider Aliens versus Predator 2 to be a bad movie. It was disgusting. Perhaps disgustingly bad? No, it was a terrible, disgusting movie. So many horrifying, hateful things happen in that movie and yet, it basically addressed what would really happen in a situation like that. And yet in an awful way, it's an important movie I think. It's important because it illustrates exactly why certain subjects are taboo and why you don't need to show them. For any aspiring filmmakers out there, watch AvP2, and don't copy any of the things that happened in it.

is a little boy, maybe less than 10 years old.
dies a pointless, accidental death.
I'm not even going to write that down here.
gets completely screwed up, making AvP2 even stupider.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
One neat thing I noticed about the new show: You seem a lot less boastful in this than you do in your other shows.

:) I like it. The attitude fits the subject of the show well. Not that I hate it when you boast but ya do that in a more funny, and not serious manner.

For this topic I think the more humble and serious manner is better suited for the topic, and helps get the message across better.

Well done! Hope to see more!

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Thanks for the feedback so far! Certainly a better first impression than the Jimquisition made. :D

Duly noted on the background music. I'll replace it with something else. It'll still be from Deadly Premonition though!
Well I think that is because a defense is better then an Inquisition. Though the inquisition I think is a better show. I say that when I dislike the show usually, but it is usually a show(Jimquisition) I still watch because of the quality. Also does what few video gaming shows that make you think.

Here I like the idea. It resonates with people because of everyone has that movie. You love it, think it is the best, yet everyone else think it is crap. There is a few in my DVD collection I would like you to do, if you are open to suggestions. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, one of my favorite movies I am often doing this with. So I love the concept. I also love the fact that it gives me something on Thursday to watch.

Life is Beautiful is the song you used from Deadly Premonition. I personally think if you just turn it down the volume a bit, it would work perfectly. Though I think it might work better as the end credit. That way you always are leaving on a happy note.Even if the person doesn't agree with you, you leave with a smile. Which is why I think you should keep Life is Beautiful about in some way. The Woods And the Goddess might be a good fit, since the edited version of that is the theme to Deadly Premonition. York And Zach might also work well. Though Underground might work as well since it is mostly saxophone. Though it could work the same as Greenvale.

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
No, Jim. No.

Good video, and you put up a hearty defense of this movie, but... no.

Here's why.

1) Plot holes up the ying-yang. Just getting an alien onboard the military ship and then to the penal colony stretches Xenomorph biology (and plot continuity) to the breaking point. I give the movie credit for suggesting that the aliens share DNA with their host, but that's hardly enough to justify the brazen "we don't care" attitude early on.

Much like Alien Ressurrection, this movie was afraid of introducing an alien from a different source than the crashed Engineer ship (yes, I'm going by Promethous terminology, sue me), so they decide to come up with stupid reasons why the Aliens keep popping up.

2) I CARED about the "space truckers" in Alien. I CARED about the marines in Aliens. I cared about Newt and Hicks and Bishop and Ripley.

I couldn't have cared less about the prisoners. Whether you think they're more realized or not, I failed to get attached. Most of them weren't all that redeeming, and a few decent apples in the bunch doesn't change that. When they got eaten, I shrugged. That's never good.

Rule of thumb for horror - never make your characters people you wouldn't mind getting removed from the gene pool.

3) "The Aliens always win." That's a very subjective opinion, Jim. I certainly never got that out of the series, perhaps because the last two non-AVP movies had such gaping plot holes that the only reason the Aliens keep coming back is because the script writers are hacks.

And they DON'T win, either. The cost for victory is high, lots of people die, but the xenomorphs are always stopped in the end. Your argument is like saying that because Superman never kills Lex Luthor, and because he always comes back for another round of villainy, Lex Luthor always wins.

That makes no sense.

4) The backgrounds aren't really all that different from the cold, claustrophbic settings in either Alien or Aliens. Alien 3 did it well, but it was merely extrapolating from what the first two films did.

It's not a terrible movie in the technical sense. Ripley is Ripley, and the movie tries hard in some places to be a good horror movie, but the damage it did to the franchise was heavy. That's why I pretend that the Alien francise stopped at Aliens.

There is, nor never was, an Alien 3.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I think I'm going to like this show.

Also, I never saw Alien 3 as a mad movie

KeyboardSnorlax

Aug 7, 2012
By far my favorite movie of all time, one that would probably fit the awful movie thing even though I love it is Biodome

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Great video, Jim. Solid points through-out.

While I may not agree with you always on everything, I do think that you manage to construct your argument well enough so that one cannot dismiss or ignore it. The only thing I can nit-pick with this video is that it started off a bit too fast, jumping right into the arguments when the intro ended instead of easing into it with bit of an introduction. Not really that big of a deal, but I think it would help with the flow of the video.

Otherwise, the video was great, it nicely displayed (in my opinion) your natural talent when it comes reasoning and argumentation. Even though it had the potential to be complete flame-bait, you managed to handle it with care and a bit of grace.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Haven't seen Alien 3, so I just want to make a comment about the video series in general. The distracting whistling of the background music has already been mentioned, so I'll just make one request.

After the first three movies mentioned in the intro, I hope the series doesn't get stuck in the horror genre. Mostly because I think this is an awesome idea for a show but I'm not really that well versed in the older horror movies.

Is your point always going to be "This movie was actually good," or will we see some "This movie wasn't as bad as people say it was"?