Movie Defense Force: Alien 3

dangerdad

Mar 2, 2013
I'm late to the party, but your review is crap.

You know when at the end of a monster movie, when the bad guy inexplicably gets up after being killed a dozen times? That's what Alien 3 did to Aliens. A new movie director/writer crapped on the previous movie by having Jason get up for another kill. If it had happened after the end credits of Aliens, it would have sucked. I have no respect for the filmtards that produced this dreck.

Oh, and bizarre characters that don't really act like people? Check. A childish view of religion? Check.

As for "no one is invincible", what about the same scene where Ripley isn't killed? Oops, I guess your analysis doesn't hold up there. Ripley could have walked around whistling a happy tune, because she wasn't going to be Xeno chow.

I tend to prefer my characters to behave remotely like humans. And for a movie to try to stick to the rules of the universe that it sets up (ugh, the steaming pile that was Alien:Resurrection....argh.)

Back to the drawing board. You're not clever just because you can fanwank yourself into it being a good movie. It wasn't. And on top of being crap, it pissed away Aliens.

Alien 3 & 4 didn't happen.

See, Ripley's saving Newt to recover her motherhood that she lost in the extended cryosleep, fighting against the mother of the species that's trying to kill her is a bit stronger thematically than the bowl-floater that this director splashed out.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
Alien 3 rocked, the hoplessness in the fight for survival and endless game of cat and mouse was made iconic with this movie. Star Trek Voyager and Deep Space Nine took this plot device for a couple of shows.

Matthew Abbott

Jan 13, 2013
I watched the video, I pondered a bit, I went back and watched both versions of Alien 3...I'm still not buying it. The whole film just comes off as contrived to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's nothing good about it, far from it, you illustrated quite a few good points. However, the movie says very little to me other than "cash-in sequel"

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
It's nice to know, after all these years, that someone else in fandom holds a similar opinions of Alien 3. I still love my Aliens, and Alien was a fun horror movie, but Alien 3 was such icing on the cake from a story perspective. It helps that I was the generation that didn't grow up with the post-Aliens fanfiction about Newt and Hicks I'm sure, but I enjoyed those stories even after Alien 3.

I am also a fan of the novelization of Alien 3, although it's been years since I read the book. Funny considering I just learned that the author is on record as being one of those who hated the story because of the death ofHicks and Newt.

roski

Oct 19, 2013
Alien 1: Horror in space
Alien 2: Action in space
Alien 3: Drama in space
Alien 4: Comedy in Space

AVP....uuhmm videogame on earth?