Movie Defense Force: Waterworld

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
thirion1850 said:
Is the Star Wars prequels next? Come on Jim, lets see it. :D
Those movies can't be defended, on the contrary they need to be attacked even harder.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
thirion1850 said:
Do4600 said:
thirion1850 said:
Is the Star Wars prequels next? Come on Jim, lets see it. :D
Those movies can't be defended, on the contrary they need to be attacked even harder.
I liked 'em. Especially the 3rd. Comeatmebro
My position during the last half of that movie was sitting with my fingers on my eye brows and elbows on my knees looking up every few minutes, grimacing, and then looking back at the floor in front of me, for the last few minutes I was in full double facepalm, it was a worse third movie than The Matrix Revolutions. A rather good analysis [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIWKMgJs_Gs&list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D#t=1m15s] of episode 1 and why it failed

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I've always liked this movie actually. It's a little hammy at times but overall entertaining. I love that boat too. It's pretty cool.

Tygerml

Nov 16, 2008
saintdane05 said:
Three things I want from this:

1. Indiana Jones 4
2. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
3. Cars and Cars 2.
Technically that's 4 things.

#1 I actually watched over the weekend, wow it's awful. I don't know if even Jim can find good things to say about it. I wish him luck if he does.

#2 was received moderately well when it came out, did very well in the box office (#2 behind Terminator 2) and got a lot of awards and nominations. Sure some people hated it but I don't think it fell into the same 'bad rep' as Waterworld.

#3 I haven't seen either of the Cars movies so I couldn't comment on them.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I always liked Waterworld. I never understood why the bandwagon of hate was all over it. I wonder if there will be an episode on The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and Doom.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Why is Waterworld counted as a box-office bomb?

Budget $175 million
Box office $264 million

What? Just because the majority of the income wasn't in the U.S doesn't make it a failure. It made cost, didn't it?

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
OK, so I finally watched Waterworld because of Jim's defense of it. That was not a good decision. It's a pretty bad movie. Not the worst, but also not good by any stretch of the imagination. The only thing it has going for it is the vaguely Mad Max atmosphere. But that comparison is pretty insulting to the Mad Max movies, which were very enjoyable.

And the sexism and domestic violence towards the female protagonist. That was pretty hard to stomach.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I'm glad to see the video clip back at the end. It helps bridge the gap from the video to the credits very well in my opinion. It's just too bad this is another movie I've never seen. But that's my fault at this point, since it's not a horror title.

PlasticLion

Nov 21, 2009
As a kid I thought that this was a fine, albeit too long, movie.I never really thought it was hated, but it's budget made it easy to mock. I remember an episode of The Simpsons where Bart was playing the arcade game, put a quarter in, took three steps, then had to put another quarter in. Stuff like that was what made it so infamous.

As an adult the premise is just untenable. Someone already pointed out that if the icecaps melted there would still be plenty of dry land, but I can suspend disbelief that much. The problem is the Himalayas. If there is dry land anywhere on Earth then that's where it is. Even if the world instantly flooded all of the warships of every nation would have headed there. If life was possible on those mountain tops that were basically big rocks, people would be living there.

This movie just boils my brain because nothing in it could actually happen.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
PlasticLion said:
As a kid I thought that this was a fine, albeit too long, movie.I never really thought it was hated, but it's budget made it easy to mock. I remember an episode of The Simpsons where Bart was playing the arcade game, put a quarter in, took three steps, then had to put another quarter in. Stuff like that was what made it so infamous.

As an adult the premise is just untenable. Someone already pointed out that if the icecaps melted there would still be plenty of dry land, but I can suspend disbelief that much. The problem is the Himalayas. If there is dry land anywhere on Earth then that's where it is. Even if the world instantly flooded all of the warships of every nation would have headed there. If life was possible on those mountain tops that were basically big rocks, people would be living there.

This movie just boils my brain because nothing in it could actually happen.
It's a fantasy, so who's to say there wasn't a cataclysm that reduced the height of the mountains. Perhaps an earthquake opens a fault in China, etc.

Also, who's to say the Himalayas are not where the protagonists end up at the end?

Greg

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Latinidiot said:
See, I saw it when I was young too, and I never got why it was such a punching bag. Oh well.
I didn't know it was a punching bag until this video. I loved this movie as a kid!
Just watched it on Netflix... I see no reason why this should get much dissing... If Mad Max can be loved, why can't this?

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
jFr[e said:
ak93]
Latinidiot said:
See, I saw it when I was young too, and I never got why it was such a punching bag. Oh well.
I didn't know it was a punching bag until this video. I loved this movie as a kid!
Just watched it on Netflix... I see no reason why this should get much dissing... If Mad Max can be loved, why can't this?
Fun fact: Kevin Costner was balding at the time of this movie, and he only noticed at the end of shooting the film, and he insisted they cgi his hair in. They did!

This I learned a while ago.

It is one of the funniest things I know about film.

Moralio

Feb 2, 2012
I remember seeing this about 10 years ago. It was and still is at least a good action movie with quite original setting and I also never understood why it often regarded as worst of the worst.

jimplunder

May 15, 2009
No need to defend this movie with me either. I've always liked Waterworld and I liked the setting and the premise. I've always wanted to see a more modern game made of it, but oh well... what can you do? (I have played Oil Rush, but it was kind of a clunky game to put in the Waterworld setting...)

jimplunder

May 15, 2009
minimacker said:
Why is Waterworld counted as a box-office bomb?

Budget $175 million
Box office $264 million

What? Just because the majority of the income wasn't in the U.S doesn't make it a failure. It made cost, didn't it?
Well, it made cost, sure, but studios aren't looking to just recoup their cost. They're looking to recoup their cost and then make a buttload of extra money for more big-budget projects. American "bombs" are usually considered so because their returns in America are not that good. We're an inward society like that... I also think Americans are the ones who spend the most money on movies every year, but I could be wrong...

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
I'm with you on this one Jim. I never even understood all the Waterworld hate (though I didn't exactly try to) let alone agree with it. It was a perfectly decent family action movie.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I know this is an older post but I have to comment on this. I have always had a soft spot for this film and thoroughly enjoyed it when it came out. I appreciate that you made this review and have always been befuddled by poor reviews.

EDIT: eh, didn't realize the last post was from February or I wouldn't have posted.