Movie Defense Force: Waterworld

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I thought this a pretty ugly mess. About the only think I care to remember was Jean Tripplehorn's body double in the failed seduction scene (and... why'd it fail? He isn't a selfless person.)

I don't think Independence Day was good, just more fun, less ugly, with more fun things to look upon. It too is no classic. But I put it a notch above this.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Three things I want from this:

1. Indiana Jones 4
2. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
3. Cars and Cars 2.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It was just a matter of time until you did Waterworld, and now that you did, I have some new perspective on it. There's definitely no other post-apocalyptic movie like it, and we are being oversaturated with the zombies. Waterworld was definitely a product of its time, when stacked with the other big dumb '90's action flicks. Speaking of which, is Judge Dredd on the menu?
Kenjitsuka said:
So another movie that doesn't deserve the hate.
Made a pretty amusing Simpsons joke as well!
So did the postman (and that was a real turd-bomb). Remember that bit with Lisa watching The Postman on DVD? She said "Wow, this truly sucks!" and turned on director commentary, which was just Kevin Costner apologizing.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
I didn't realize the movie was so highly reviled.
Now, the film has been long forgotten. But back when it was first released, indeed it received a lot of negative buzz. I think in time, the stigma it has received will be long forgotten as new generations watch without the expectations met at the time of the release, and people will enjoy the film more in its intended way - as a fun, fantastic action flick (not any of this serious crap we get in these overhyped Dark Knight flicks).

I'm a big fan of 80's and 90's flicks, and Waterworld is definitely in my top 10. And, god, I love that boat Costner has.

I'm still waiting for an MMORPG based on Waterworld. A few years back, I created a thread about an idea for one.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I never had a problem with this movie. I'd watch it instead of Independence Day or any of the Transformers movies.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Nice work Jim, I also didn't realize how much hate this movie received, I don't remember it getting much but I loved it then and I still do now. In fact I found it a lot more entertaining than independence day, and even some of the indiana jones movies of the time (don't care how bad that sounds). Plot hardly made sense, but that's not why I watched it. I just enjoyed the world and zany shit that happens in it, setpieces were very cool and I even had the great fortune of seeing it at universal studios I think it was. As a kid, that was pretty sick!

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I have to amdit that Kevin C. was the first reason I never watched this movie.

Now I going to watch it at least ONCE, because of Dennis Hopper.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I can appreciate the "good in a cheesy-bad sort of way, and hey, it was the 90s" argument.

But I am unconvinced, even (especially?) when benchmarking it against Roland Emmerich films.

The chief problem with this movie - other than the controversy surrounding the cost and sinking setpiece - is that it came after Costner was enjoying immense success from his beautifully-directed Dances With Wolves, and his star turn in Prince of Thieves as the only Briton from the American Midwest. On the heels of that came more overly ambitious and way-too-long movies, beginning with Wyatt Earp and Waterworld (which admittedly, by comparison, only FEELS three hours long), culminating in The Postman, and finally petering out with Thirteen Days. His ambitions seem to be scaled back considerably in the new century.

All that said, I felt his best real drama is long behind him (The Untouchables), and other than that, all his good movies are sports movies (specifically his baseball movies, but I liked Tin Cup as well). Even as a leading man, he just works better when he has a chance to disappear into some good-ole everyman role, and not even the Tom Hanks, Jimmy Stewart capital-E Everyman role, where we're compelled to watch HIM perform, but when he's one of us, and the story is the main character and he is merely our avenue through which to experience it. In that way, he's like Nicolas Cage: very serviceable if he's an experiential character, and not someone who's being asked to carry the story on his own back.

But sad to say, this defense, admirable as it may be, does not persuade me to commute the sentence on this particular film.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
thirion1850 said:
Is the Star Wars prequels next? Come on Jim, lets see it. :D
Now, those are truly indefensible movies.

There's a lot that can be said about those movies. A lot of bad, but there are some good parts to them.

OT: I'm sorry, but Waterworld is just a terrible fucking movie. It's not fun terrible like Demolition Man or any of the other action 90's flicks. It's just fucking terrible. Costner is wooden and unlikable, the girls are annoying and stupid. Even with Hopper's fun as the villain, his career is filled with better roles that are equally, if not more, fun(like Speed).

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
As for the girl not knowing how to swim didn't she also not know how to talk?

I was under the impression she didn't know how to swim because she was FROM the land the map was pointing to.

My recollection of the film is hazy at best but I do remember the girl was alluded to have been from land.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
half an hour half an hour half an hour half an hour half an hour half an hour half an hour

Waterworld was better than anything Emmerich brought out after Stargate. Yes, even Independence day.

This film and Sahara (which totally needs to be done too) are the two biggest balls of fun ever to bomb at the movies. Neither of these films did anything wrong at all.

People tend to forget that Waterworld was only so expensive because the sets kept drifting loose, and the film has long since turned a profit thanks to DVD sales. It's goofy fun, but nowhere near as embarrassing to admit you liked it as much as Independence day. I look at my VHS cover of that jingoistic POS and have to hang my head in shame.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Worgen said:
My favorite character in the movie was Kevin Costner's boat, damn that boat was awesome, sucked when it died.
Fellow lover of trimarans!

'Watched the movie as a kid, was hooked by the setting. Yeah, the vile poured upon it was a bit unfair.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Never actually seen it. It always seemed a bit too long and self-important.
As for future recommendations:-
Bonfire of the Vanities
Chain Reaction
Beverly Hills Cop III

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Loving this new series Jim. Even if I don't agree with you on a movie, I think it's ballsy of you to make a serirs like this and offer different perspectives on movies that a lot of people don't like.

Also I thought face off was crap.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I never did get the hate this movie gets, good actors (so sue me, I like Costner), interesting premise and cool simple action. It's no masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but its a fun watch.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wait a minute. this movie is actually hated? our loca television considers it a second comming.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Go Jim! I've loved this movie since I was a kid and it's always been in my Top 10 =)
Dennis Hopper really is fantastic in it!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i dint mind the story actually. but the way the movie was executed, was just so bad.