Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Director's cuts/extended editions are VASTLY overrated. I can only think of maybe three where the extended edition is better than the theatrical one; The Fellowship of the Ring, The Shinning, and Conan the Barbarian. There, that's my hot take (though maybe I already made it, it's been a while since I been here).
You don't think the director's cut of Bladerunner is better than the theatrical version?

Also, the theatrical version of Fellowship of the Ring bored me to tears and I can't imagine wanting to sit through even more of it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Director's cuts/extended editions are VASTLY overrated. I can only think of maybe three where the extended edition is better than the theatrical one; The Fellowship of the Ring, The Shinning, and Conan the Barbarian. There, that's my hot take (though maybe I already made it, it's been a while since I been here).

Here's another one; The superhero genre is inherently silly, and any attempt to try and meaningfully apply it to the real world or the gravity of real world events is impossible and stupid.
Aliens, Terminator 2 and Kingdom of Heaven were improved, in my opinion at least, by having a Director’s Cut. And I will say that I feel that any Director’s Cut should be viewed at least once.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm really not very familiar with the theatrical cut of Blade Runner, but then I'm not exactly a fan of Blade Runner anyway.
Never watch at the theatrical cut. Ever! No one likes it. Harrison Ford absolutely despises it. Plus, nowadays it's almost impossible to find a copy that's on DVD or blu-ray. You can still find a used copy of course, but almost no one's going to go out of their way to do that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Deadwood and West World should have only run for a single season.
I have not watched a single episode of either shows.

Tenchi OVA (Episodes 1-12) and Tenchi Universe are still king harem shows.

Inuyasha is one of the most pointless long running anime/manga ever made. That series did not need to be 150+ episodes.

Reno 911 was the best live-action comedy TV show in the 2000s.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, that's just Every Shonen.
Say whatever you will about (and there is plenty to unpack), but at least shit actually happens in DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, or Shaman King. With Inuyasha, the formula is so repetitive, it makes most shounen look diverse by comparison. Inuyasha is so much worse.

They're at Naraku's hideout or castle. They fight him. There is some bullshit power up, new minion/bad guy that blocks the path, and he somehow gets away. Repeat ad nausea for 150+ episodes. The original series did not even have an actual ending. The ending at the time was, "Fuck you, read the manga to see what happens!". What's worse, is an actual ending to this show did not happen until years later, and they had the gall to make the ending to the series called Final Act. I had long checked out before reaching that point.

Also, I hate Kikyo and Kagome; especially the high-school biatch-brat. They are some of the worst, idiotic, vindictive, and selfish characters in an anime. They're one of the worst love triangle in anime history. Kagome is the worst lover interest right next to Naru in all of anime history. Miroku is an annoying perv that constantly asking random pretty women to bear his children and constantly coping a feel on Sango's ass. Make up your mind you dumb fuck! Shippo is annoying, useless, and has almost no reason to be in the group. Inuyasha is fine, but the only reason why I tolerate him is because I recognize the English dub voice actor. He's done several anime roles, and he voiced Piedro in X-Men: Evolution. Honestly, if the series was about Sango and none of these other assholes, I would hold more interest at the time.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Say whatever you will about (and there is plenty to unpack), but at least shit actually happens in DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, or Shaman King. With Inuyasha, the formula is so repetitive, makes most shounen look diverse by comparison. Inuyasha is so much worse.

They're at Naraku's hideout or castle. They fight him. There is some bullshit power up, new minion/bad guy that blocks the path, and he somehow gets away. Repeat ad nausea for 150+ episodes. The original series did not even have an actual ending. The ending at the time was, "Fuck you, read the manga to see what happens!". What's worse, is an actual ending to this show did not happen until years later, and they had the gall to make the ending to the series called Final Act. I had long checked out before reaching that point.

Also, I hate Kikyo and Kagome; especially the high-school biatch-brat. They are some of the worst, idiotic, vindictive, and selfish characters in an anime. They're one of the worst love triangle in anime history. Kagome is the worst lover interest right next to Naru in all of anime history. Miroku is an annoying perv that constantly asking random pretty women to bear his children and constantly coping a feel on Sango's ass. Make up your mind you dumb fuck! Shippo is annoying, useless, and has almost no reason to be in the group. Inuyasha is fine, but the only reason why I tolerate him is because I recognize the English dub voice actor. He's done several anime roles, and he voiced Piedro in X-Men: Evolution. Honestly, if the series was about Sango and none of these other assholes, I would hold more interest at the time.
Yeah, like I said...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Twin Peaks: The Return probably wins the mind fuck award for the way it twists, pushes and pulls on the viewer’s expectations. This scene is lacking context since it’s missing the prior few minutes, but what’s shown is the culmination of what started as heartfelt drama, then shifted to disappointment, then to surprise, then severe annoyance before finally -

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
IMHO, the greatest legacy of South Park is coming up with the word "Queef".
Does the term originate from South Park? Pretty sure it predates the show, but can't find anything to back that up.

Also, South Park's greatest legacy will be pushing primetime broadcast television past the limits of prudish, pearl-clutching ideals and being topical within a week of a given topic becoming a topic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll say that out of all the Sonic TV adaptions I still say The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog, the first cartoon, is still the best. Yes, I am saying it's better than SatAM. I still like the second cartoon series, but it had its own set of problems and flaws, that were ironed out in the comic books. The other problem being was at the second season of SatAM was that Sonic got less focus, and it started introducing characters that weren't that good and we're stealing the spotlight. It sucks to show ended on a cliffhanger, but it happened. When you realize how little the first cartoon had to work with, you'll be amazed at what they were able to pull off. Keep in mind, when the first Sonic cartoon came out, they were only two games at the time.

I am looking forward to Sonic Prime. Not much is given, but from what I've seen from the concept and storyboard artwork, I am loving the multiverse plot.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
being topical within a week of a given topic becoming a topic.
Drop the Dead Donkey did it first, but I think South Park made it a popular.

Anyway, my hot take is that for all the popularity Thunderbirds enjoys, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons is the overall best show Gerry Anderson ever did and is crying out for a reboot that has more than the cost of a Happy Meal spent on its animation. But Thunderbirds had the best theme.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
My TV hot take is that I'm really disturbed by the popularity of Succession and Billions. I watched a couple of episodes each and I could not fathom that anyone would actually want to spend their free time watching stories about the rich powerful evil monsters that are destroying our society. I don't get enough Fox News crap from my dad, now everyone's telling me how awesome it is to watch a fictionalized version of the Murdoch family. What the hell, how is this entertainment?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
My TV hot take is that I'm really disturbed by the popularity of Succession and Billions. I watched a couple of episodes each and I could not fathom that anyone would actually want to spend their free time watching stories about the rich powerful evil monsters that are destroying our society. I don't get enough Fox News crap from my dad, now everyone's telling me how awesome it is to watch a fictionalized version of the Murdoch family. What the hell, how is this entertainment?
Because the monsters are pathetic and in pain, and that's hilarious

Reactions: MrCalavera

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ooooo boy, time to talk about race and diversity!

So I finished season 2 of the Witcher, and I found it to be quite the generic Netflix show. I have noticed that a lot the complaints against the show blame the "SJWs", which essentially boils down to people not liking how female characters were given a larger role and a race swapping casting choices. I want to focus on the latter, because I feel like there is more to be said there.

First, the casting of the background characters. The season deals quite a lot with with racism (speciesism?) against the elves in the show. I found it really hard to take this seriously, because just like all the peoples of the Continent, the elves are played by a very diverse cast. Asian elves, black elves, middle eastern elves, white elves, etc. Besides their pointed ears, there's literally nothing they share in common. In the books, and in popular culture, it was made very clear what the elves look like. Sharp features, youthful, very attractive. In the show, we have old ass elves, chubby elves, unremarkable elves. In other words, they look exactly the same as the humans. So the whole race war thing just feels so silly. I guess you can say that racism is silly, and that discriminating against a being for the shape of their ears is no different from discriminating against them for the color of their skin. But I think that's a very shallow understanding of what racism is. The show completely failed at giving the elves any sense of culture or unity, and so we just have to believe that people are carrying out war crimes, against children even, purely because their ears are pointed. I think that's even an actual line in the show.

TLDR; The show fails to give any meaningful background to why humans hate elves so much, leaving us with "ear pointy bad" and nothing else. The decision to have a diverse cast doesn't help, but isn't at fault.

But I also want to talk about the casting of major characters. In season 1, I didn't even really notice or care about most of the non-white casting choices. But after season 2, we have Yennefer, Vilgefortz, Istredd, Triss, Fringilla, Coen, Nenneke, and Philippa being played by non-white actors. Of the eight, six are played by black actors. I have to admit, I found this really jarring. This has nothing to do with the quality of the show, most are decent actors, but as an Asian, I have to wonder if Netflix thinks that casting black actors is the end all be all of diversity.

Ultimately, I think the show's main problem is how it wants to present itself. Season 1 was just a fun collection of stories barely connected to each other. Season 2 wants to be taken seriously, a gritty and dramatic fantasy tale. The former allows for playing loose with the source material, the latter not so much. I think a lot more people would have been willing to overlook these casting choices if the show focused more on fantasy and less on political drama. And if, you know, the show itself was any good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jojo Part 1: Phantom Blood may be the weakest part in the franchise, but it is still good.This is more so the case with the anime, than the manga version. At least Phantom Blood does not waste your time, and goes by pretty fast without under developing the characters. The action is great, the dubbing is highly on point, and the show hits every moment to near perfection. The problems with Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable is that they both have moments of filler in the middle where it drags. And in Stardust's case, too many monster of the week episodes. Speaking of Part 3, I find it the second weakest in the Jojo franchise.