Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He lost it by default during the "blip", so wong inherited it. They state it officially in No Way Home.
Ah, I must have missed that bit of conversation. Thank you for the clarification: I withdraw my previous statement on the matter.

OT: the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise C, under Captain Garrett are some of the Star Trek franchise’s unsung and under utilised badasses. If Paramount’s eventual plan is to call a do over on TOS era, then let’s see what made them a crew worthy of a ship bearing the name Enterprise. Before they saw four Romulan warbirds attacking a Klingon outpost and decided to go and swing their brass balls in the Romulan’s faces.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well dang, Doctor Strange 2 was the first MCU movie since Guardians 2 that made me feel like I was watching something fun. Even Thor 3 had those boring Asgard bits breaking up the fun stuff. I liked that it didn't feel the need to set up Reed Richards or Black Bolt with their own template origin movie or end credits scene from a previous movie, they're just there.

And hot take; the music fight did very little for me. I mean, beyond the novelty of them throwing musical notes at eachother... they're just throwing musical notes at eachother. It's just energy beams/bolts but in the shape of musical notes. Zombie Strange making a cloak from from the souls of damned, now THAT'S good shit.

As for the magic stuff, yeah, it could've been more out there, but then the magic in these movies has always opperated on flimsey definitions. Even in the fight between Strange and Thanos, which was arguably the most magic-y, it's unclear as to why Strange lost seeing as there's no clear measurement of his magical powers in comparison. As a matter of fact, very few (visual) media depicts magic in a way that is comprehensible to the audience while still feeling like the limitless, ethereal powers of the universe. The character of Shierke in Berserk comes close.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, watched Star Trek: First Contact for the first time in ages the other day, and it's legitimately not bad. Generations was ok, they were trying something that didn't work, but gave it a decent go. Insurrection...well, they were trying, but not very hard.

First Contact is not a great movie by any means, but it's a respectable one, they brought back all the main characters and Barclay and the EMH and Picard's holonovel, in a story that more or less makes sense (except that the Borg are rubbish) and has some good bits.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is a hot take from 2 years ago, done by James Rolfe. He's got good points.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I realized while watching the latest trailer for Thor 4 that after this movie, I have no idea what the next MCU movie is and am therefore not particularly excited. First time this has happened pretty much since the MCU started.

I was down with the idea of MCU shows on Disney+, but its starting to feel like they've replaced the movies rather than complementing them. Which is not good when these shows are also not particularly good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I realized while watching the latest trailer for Thor 4 that after this movie, I have no idea what the next MCU movie is and am therefore not particularly excited. First time this has happened pretty much since the MCU started.

I was down with the idea of MCU shows on Disney+, but its starting to feel like they've replaced the movies rather than complementing them. Which is not good when these shows are also not particularly good.
Uncertainty will always be a thing with these long running mega franchises, but don't lose hope or fixate on it too much. Find or re-discover things you enjoy, or look for something new. I admit that I care more for Spider-Verse movies, the DCEU/DC else worlds, and non-super hero things, than whatever most of the MCU is putting out at this point.

Of course, this is what happens when a franchise hits its apex, or makes it to the top super fast. Almost anything else will be redundant or be a step back by comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Judging by the Rotten Tomatoes, this is certainly a hot take.

Not only was I not all that crazy about Ms. Marvel, it's been the least of the MCU Disney+ shows so far to me, and there are only a couple of MCU shows in general that I thought were not as good as Ms. Marvel. I didn't think it was bad, but it had plenty of flaws...and yet, it's the highest rated MCU property on Rotten Tomatoes, so I must be missing something.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Not only was I not all that crazy about Ms. Marvel, it's been the least of the MCU Disney+ shows so far to me, and there are only a couple of MCU shows in general that I thought were not as good as Ms. Marvel. I didn't think it was bad, but it had plenty of flaws...and yet, it's the highest rated MCU property on Rotten Tomatoes, so I must be missing something.
The show is getting a ton of unwarranted hate from the usual "people", so I think there's a fair bit of "we don't want to pile on to this" going on with most critics. Combined with the usual folks who give anything a pass as long as it furthers diversity.

Personally, this will be the show that makes me stop watching Disney+ shit. I'm so fucking tired of hating on these shows, and I hate feeling like I'm the crazy one for having problems with these shows. The usual reviewers I follow tore apart Thor 4 (rightfully I might add) and yet did not have a single problem with this show. In my mind, Ms Marvel and Thour have the exact same strengths and weaknesses. Great cast, dogshit writing that fumbles every opportunity to be better.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009

Rotten Tomatoes is a horrid indication of quality. It’s a popularity score/contest more than anything. It only shows you the percentage of positive and negative reviews, not how positive or negative.

A high Rotten Tomatoes score just means most people thought the piece didn’t suck completely.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Rotten Tomatoes is a horrid indication of quality. It’s a popularity score/contest more than anything. It only shows you the percentage of positive and negative reviews, not how positive or negative.

A high Rotten Tomatoes score just means most people thought the piece didn’t suck completely.
The average critic rating (which isn't as sexy as their TOMATO METER) though is pretty high. 8/10 or something.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Speaking of Zoolander, I never found it funny. Outside of said above scene in the previous post. The sequel I keep forgetting even exists.
That's not much of a hot take. That kind of absurdist humor is very divisive; either you like it or you don't. I personally do in moderate doses, but anyone who doesn't has no reason to explain themselves. I put Zoolander up there with Ace Ventura and Austin Powers; either you're in on the joke, or you're not.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's not much of a hot take. That kind of absurdist humor is very divisive; either you like it or you don't. I personally do in moderate doses, but anyone who doesn't has no reason to explain themselves. I put Zoolander up there with Ace Ventura and Austin Powers; either you're in on the joke, or you're not.
Could have fooled me. I didn't know too many defenders, but from a few that loved it, just said "you don't get it!". I do get it, I just don't find it that funny. Ace and Powers are far easier to understand at least.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Could have fooled me. I didn't know too many defenders, but from a few that loved it, just said "you don't get it!". I do get it, I just don't find it that funny. Ace and Powers are far easier to understand at least.
Ace and Powers ham it up more which is why they work better for you and me. Zoolander... its a little too dry, a little too slow on the punchlines, and has perhaps one too many characters acting normal enough to suck out some of the funny.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The problem with action in a lot of big budget Hollywood films. Funny enough, most straight-to-DVD/Streaming action movies do not have this problem.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This isn't necessarily a hot take, more a question, but why is it so much Japanese, Chinese and Korean cinema relies so heavily on exposition? I finished Alice In Borderland yesterday (a Japanese series not unlike Korea's Squid Game,) and it hit the same nerve as a lot of things I've watched from that region: much of the story is literally told through characters expositing key plot points in such a way that feels, I dunno, condescending? I think there are memes about this issue with anime, mayhaps Dragonball Z, where major fights are preempted with characters explaining in grueling detail what they've done, are doing or about to do. It think it's meant to relay gravitas, but it feels like I'm being talked down to. If the writing isn't lazy and actual thought and nuance put into it, I can understand a character's motivation without continually doing the "my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" schtick every time something significant is about to happen.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can definitely see where Sterling is coming from. I still don't mind a crossover every now and then, but I do have a lack of interest in most of Marvel stuff and Star Wars stuff in general.