Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Counterpoints:

I am not watching the video. Honestly, the only reason Scorsese is seen as "right" at this moment, because certain people have an axe to grind against Disney/Marvel to begin with, or blind fans who kept sucking D&M's genital's are finally starting to realize their corporation ain't infallible. I've said it a million times before, and it still applies now: I am not giving up on Marvel entirely, but I only watch what interests me. Plus, Scorsese backpedaled hard about his statement, so the damage was already done. The advantage of these Marvel movies it allows representations of minorities and women in powerful they normally would not get, or reduced to bit roles/stereotypes. These movies show that we belong in Hollywood like anyone else. That were not just victims or monsters! Scorsese and Coppola can biatch all they want, but it boils down to both of them not being big in the spotlight anymore. You had your success, let the next generation have theirs, and stop fucking budding in like your experts. While neither you are under obligation, none of your movies portrayed blacks or minorities in a positive light, or saw/used them as on-screen/off-screen victims. This is the last time I am talking about this, because nothing new is being shared here.
It wasn’t about him being right, but more about him having a different definition of “cinema”, and that’s fine. He compared the movies to amusement parks, and how it’s still a good thing. He’s from a different era and that’s about all there is to say about it, because it explains it all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It wasn’t about him being right, but more about him having a different definition of “cinema”, and that’s fine. He compared the movies to amusement parks, and how it’s still a good thing.
By "he", you mean Scorsese or the Thomas Flight (the guy commentating) in the video?

He’s from a different era and that’s about all there is to say about it, because it explains it all.
And if that's case, Scorsese could have been less standoff and sound less upset about it. I would not consider every MCU movie comparable to an amusement park. Like I said before, Scorsese backpedaled hard on this after getting so much backlash. Calling all the MCU movies amusement parks, is the equivalent of downplaying the positivity and good they accomplished.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
By "he", you mean Scorsese or the Thomas Flight (the guy commentating) in the video?
Scorsese, saying they are their own new art form, but different from the movies he grew up with and therefore identifies with as a cinematic experience.

And if that's case, Scorsese could have been less standoff and sound less upset about it. I would not consider every MCU movie comparable to an amusement park. Like I said before, Scorsese backpedaled hard on this after getting so much backlash. Calling all the MCU movies is the equivalent of downplaying positivity and good they accomplished.
He’s of the old guard and won’t sugar coat his opinion. His backpedaling was likely a response to people taking offense to it, but he should’ve seen it coming.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Scorsese, saying they are their own new art form, but different from the movies he grew up with and therefore identifies with as a cinematic experience.
They're all cinematic experiences, regardless. All he is doing is splitting hairs and make separate categories out of arbitrary reasons.

He’s of the old guard and won’t sugar coat his opinion.
I noticed. He's still spoke with some resentment with his tone. You're not the top dog anymore; big fucking deal. You still get money, accolades, and credit for your hard work. Let others grow and have the spotlight.

His backpedaling was likely a response to people taking offense to it,
I know. The writing was pretty much all over the wall, the outside of the house, and on the drive way.

but he should’ve seen it coming.
The man knew better with that age and experience.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hunter x Hunter - I find nothing special about either anime adaptions, nor the original manga. It's just another shounen with dumb gimmicks and not much else going on. Why people still hype this thing up like it's the best thing since sliced bread is beyond me. Yes, it's made by the same guy that made Yu Yu Hakusho, but that accolade is not enough to save it, nor keep me invested. YYH had plenty of its own problems, and has some of the same bad trappings of most shounen action anime. HxH just does it even worse.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Hunter x Hunter - I find nothing special about either anime adaptions, nor the original manga. It's just another shounen with dumb gimmicks and not much else going on. White people still hype this thing up like it's the best thing since sliced bread is beyond me. Yes, it's made by the same guy that made Yu Yu Hakusho, but that accolade is not enough to save it, nor keep me invested. YYH had plenty of its own problems, and has some of the same bad trappings of most shounen action anime. HxH just does it even worse.
People praise it for the power system, which man I totally do not get. Maybe I'm just the dumbass here, but I really can't appreciate Nen.

Anyway, while we're talking HxH, I was thinking the other day how HxH is really similar to Jujutsu Kaisen, which seems like the next big shounen. Both have great characters, interesting individual story arcs, top of the line animation, but awful world building, a make it up as you go power system, and a meandering overarching plot.

Not gonna lie, I think a big part of the reason why both are so popular are because of all the simps.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People praise it for the power system, which man I totally do not get. Maybe I'm just the dumbass here, but I really can't appreciate Nen.
Nen is the most bullshit power system next to Akame Ga Kill's "trump card"! People harped on Shaman King's Foryoku power system, but at least it made sense and is straight forward, even though it was cribbing DBZ. But similar to DBZ, death has no consequences in the original manga of SK, and I am assuming the second anime adaption.

but awful world building,
And people said Afro Samurai has bad world building. There's two head bands: #1 and #2. Does not get more simpler than that. I find it funny Kill La Kill has better understanding of world building and power levels (than again, power levels weren't the main focus) than HxH.

Not gonna lie, I think a big part of the reason why both are so popular are because of all the simps.
By HxH case, do you mean the yaoi fan girls? Because there were plenty of those during the early 2000s on DeviantArt. Simps can work sparingly, but become a complete annoyance when they take over, or become the core audience. See the Fate series, and how it became all about the waifus and Saber clones in most of the later spin-offs.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Nen is the most bullshit power system next to Akame Ga Kill's "trump card"! People harped on Shaman King's Foryoku power system, but at least it made sense and is straight forward, even though it was cribbing DBZ. But similar to DBZ, death has no consequences in the original manga of SK, and I am assuming the second anime adaption.

And people said Afro Samurai has bad world building. There's two head bands: #1 and #2. Does not get more simpler than that. I find it funny Kill La Kill has better understanding of world building and power levels (than again, power levels weren't the main focus) than HxH.

By HxH case, do you mean the yaoi fan girls? Because there were plenty of those during the early 2000s on DeviantArt. Simps can work sparingly, but become a complete annoyance when they take over, or become the core audience. See the Fate series, and how it became all about the waifus and Saber clones in most of the later spin-offs.
That bad, huh?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Lotr: trop starts off with an adult lying to a child about how gravity works and Im not ok with this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are only three Bourne movies. With the first movie I still consider the best overall.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Maybe not a hot take, so much as just not something anyone really cares about at all, but this came to mind after watching Thor Love and Thunder. I do have the hot take of actually quite liking that movie, but that's not what this post is about. Rather, it's about a certain character in the movie...Miek.

Yes, the sidekick to Thor's sidekick Korg, that Miek. I don't have a problem with her as a character, because there's not a lot to her character to have a problem with. She's basically just there to have a few jokes at her expense and be half of the "those two guys" group. Why do I bring her up, then?

Well, you see, in the comics, Miek actually plays a pretty major role in one of the Hulk storylines. Specifically, he is the catalyst that leads to World War Hulk. And yes, HE. You see, Thor Love and Thunder confirmed that the MCU version of Miek is female, as opposed to the male version in the comics.

I don't care about them gender-flipping Miek in concept. It doesn't upset me. It just...confuses me. I can get wanting more female representation, but of all characters to gender-flip in order to do that...they chose one of the most minor characters in the Thor series. I'm not even sure if Miek gets more representation than the Warriors Three, which Thor Love and Thunder actively joked about how underrepresented they were. If you are going to gender-flip a character in order to have more women in your movie, why not do so with a character that at least has lines?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Maybe not a hot take, so much as just not something anyone really cares about at all, but this came to mind after watching Thor Love and Thunder. I do have the hot take of actually quite liking that movie, but that's not what this post is about. Rather, it's about a certain character in the movie...Miek.

Yes, the sidekick to Thor's sidekick Korg, that Miek. I don't have a problem with her as a character, because there's not a lot to her character to have a problem with. She's basically just there to have a few jokes at her expense and be half of the "those two guys" group. Why do I bring her up, then?

Well, you see, in the comics, Miek actually plays a pretty major role in one of the Hulk storylines. Specifically, he is the catalyst that leads to World War Hulk. And yes, HE. You see, Thor Love and Thunder confirmed that the MCU version of Miek is female, as opposed to the male version in the comics.

I don't care about them gender-flipping Miek in concept. It doesn't upset me. It just...confuses me. I can get wanting more female representation, but of all characters to gender-flip in order to do that...they chose one of the most minor characters in the Thor series. I'm not even sure if Miek gets more representation than the Warriors Three, which Thor Love and Thunder actively joked about how underrepresented they were. If you are going to gender-flip a character in order to have more women in your movie, why not do so with a character that at least has lines?
Hmm, I don't recall mieks gender ever being brought up in the movie, but then again I don't remember meek having a gender in the comics either. It was always a bug that talked in the third person.

I think if nothing else the movie felt like a massive waste of opportunity. I appreciate TWs humor and I definitely think it can work in the context of the MCU, but TLT just felt vapid. Devoid of any real emotion or depth because every time somebody almost felt feelings it was interrupted by jokes. It was the most extreme example of Marvel undercutting their own meaningful moments. To that point this felt was a great opportunity to introduce great stories and plotlines from the comics like WWH, Godlsayer or even Meiks storyline from the books. Instead it was screaming goats, and Thor being Michael from The Office. It definitely felt like "dumb fun" though I didn't have. I feel like you put Christian bale in a Marvel movie, you owe us more than what was given. Obviously not "literally" owe, I just mean his talent was wasted.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Superman Returns is the worst and the most boring of not only the live-action Superman movies, but of nearly all things Superman in general. I don't like Superman III, but at least I wasn't too bored, and Superman IV had Nuclear Man. Superman Returns is a pretentious slog that makes Superman unheroic, has nothing interesting to say, and is all nostalgia pandering to people who only believe the Reeve's incarnation is all that matters. The movie was made by an asshole hebephile, who hates all things comic book, bar maybe one exception.