Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I got lucky enough to see Dune in the cinema and honestly don't remember seeing any daylight scenes on the planet looking washed out. It all looked suitably hot and shiny. The other scenes set on different planets were, especially war planet, but not Dune's as far as am aware.
My impression comes from the trailer. So, would you say the trailers give a false impression on that ?

Because it would be good news (and something I've been genuinely hoping).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
My impression comes from the trailer. So, would you say the trailers give a false impression on that ?

My grandfather and I went to see Dune on the big screen, and frankly for a film who's primary colour is brown, you could have framed some of its shots. I think it helps if you watch it in a dark room though, but it is beautiful to look at.

And its a pretty kick ass movie too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, still a piece of shit. I wouldn't call it both the best and worst to offer. It's either one, the other, or neither. Shippuden is the worst of how long it drags with filler in its anime adaption. Even without that, it's still shit because of Sasuke and the entire Uchiha clan taking up the rest of the narrative. The hypocritical hard work pays off message, and the constant retconning destroying the overall narrative and themes the original series had at the time.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must

Hm, I checked the trailer out and can see how it does give a washed out impression if expectations were elsewhere, but can't say it felt that way in the cinema. The shots picked for trailer do seem on the more 'sun-bleached' side of the spectrum, and there's gonna be a lot of subjective factors involved along with expectations and what settings on what device it's being watched on. So basically what I'm saying is I have far too much self doubt to deal and respond effectively with these kinda questions lol 🫣 Only that it didn't appear to me personally as washed out at that time, but I don't feel comfortable speaking for anyone else there.

-

Unrelated moan, been trying to find Blue Ruin to rewatch with a friend lately with no success because it's been removed entirely from all streaming in the UK for some asshole reason. Can't find anything online about why. I know I watched it somewhere last year, and it shows up on Amazon prime search but only with a "this is unavailable" note where the watch button is and nowt more to explain. Another great argument for physical media. Except there's a film been wanting to get on physical called I Don't Want to Live in This World Anymore, and it doesn't exist neither! Wtf?! Another great argument for piracy then I guess.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Stephen A. Smith is actually quite entertaining. I don't even care if he knows what he's talking about; I'd still rather listen to him over even the most seasoned experts on any given subject. Not for informational purposes, just pure entertainment. I've officially put him up there with Simon Cowell and Gordan Ramsey as the kind of voraciously outspoken and vitriolic personalities that anyone with daddy issues would love nothing more than to garner their approval like a slave being grateful to be beaten the least. A talk show with Stephen A., Simon Cowell, and Gordon Ramsey would break network television in glorious fashion.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's getting to the point where I pirate movies and shows despite the fact that I pay for streaming services they are on because the apps are such garbage I can't even watch the content I pay for, nor do I trust the content I paid to watch to not go away or be put behind an additional paywall suddenly when a sequel comes out.

YouWouldntDownloadACar1.jpg

(seriously spent all fixing a hulu issue on nvidia shield this week and fucking Disney actually blocks you from watching their app in vr and refuses to make a vr app. Fuck'm.)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's getting to the point where I pirate movies and shows despite the fact that I pay for streaming services they are on because the apps are such garbage I can't even watch the content I pay for, nor do I trust the content I paid to watch to not go away or be put behind an additional paywall suddenly when a sequel comes out.

View attachment 8011

(seriously spent all fixing a hulu issue on nvidia shield this week and fucking Disney actually blocks you from watching their app in vr and refuses to make a vr app. Fuck'm.)
Just gonna leave this here.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I love the Mandalorian title theme but still I feel it borrows too much from the Slave Children's Crusade.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
In the opening scene of "LOGAN" Wolverine blocks gangsters bullets with his body because he doesn't have the money to fix his car and I really empathize with that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I might have already mentioned this before, but I like both of the TMNT movies from the 2010s. Obviously the second one is better, and a third movie definitely deserve a shot. I already know why it didn't do well, because of the producers overly high expectations. It didn't make all the money in the world, and overblew it on the marketing. If anything, it's has showed me once again how fickle, petty, and hypocritical part of the TMNT fandom can be. You had those that complain about the 2014 movie, because it "didn't take enough" from the 1987 Turtles. The movie took influences from different sources and not just one cartoon. Out of the Shadows, took more elements from the 87 cartoon, but all the sudden the same jackasses started complaining that they were taking too much from the cartoon. Make up your damn minds; you can't have it both ways! For the record, Out of the Shadows still did its own thing and is a huge improvement. The only thing wrong with that movie was how they did Casey Jones, and how some of the human on human action rely too much on quick cuts and shaky cam. All the other action scenes are fine though.

Whenever there is a new Turtles cartoon or movie, you always get these jackasses that whine and cry about it not being like the last one. Not every show is made for you dumbasses. Get it through your thick skull and move the hell on. You had your childhood and teenagehood, now let the next generation have theirs. I haven't seen the new reception to the trailer yet, but I'm sure it's positive overall. I will say that there will be another set of jackasses and the same groups that complain about it not being like the one from their childhood. Get over yourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The best action scene in all of old Doctor Who (and probably NuWho as well) is this bit from Web of Fear:

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I might have already mentioned this before, but I like both of the TMNT movies from the 2010s. Obviously the second one is better, in the third movie definitely deserve the shot. I already know why I didn't do well, because of the producers overly high expectations. It didn't make all the money in the world, any overblue it on the market. If anything, it's has showed me once again how fickle, petty, and hypocritical part of the TMT fandom can be. You had those that complain about the 2014 movie, because it "didn't take enough" from the 1987 Turtles. The movie took influences from different sources and not just one cartoon. Out of the shadows, took more elements from the 87 cartoon, but all the sudden the same jackasses started complaining that they were taking too much from the cartoon. Make up your damn minds; you can't have it both ways! For the record, Out of the Shadows still did its own thing and is a huge improvement. The only thing wrong with that movie was how they did Casey Jones, and how some of the human on human action rely too much on quick cuts and shaky cam. All the other action scenes are fine though.

Whenever there is a new Turtles cartoon or movie, you always get these jackasses that wine and cry about it not being like the last one. Not every show is made for you dumbasses. Get it through your thick skull and move the hell on. You had your childhood and teenagehood, now let the next generation have theirs. I haven't seen the new reception to the trailer yet, but I'm sure it's positive overall. I will say that there will be another set of jackasses and the same groups that complain about it not being like the one from their childhood. Get over yourselves.
The 2010s movies could have been better but they could have been a lot worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The 2010s movies could have been better but they could have been a lot worse.
I've admitted this before. TMNT 2014 is a 7/10 overall, but it's first 20 minutes that are somewhat of a slog. The bigger focus on April and making the movie as a somewhat superhero origin story, instead of TMNT was not helping. I know the movie had re-shoots, because of the whole "White Shredder controversy". It's obvious Sacks was supposed to be Shredder in the original cut and was supposed to be the American branch of the foot. With the Japanese/Oroku Saki branch brought in on the original sequel hook.

Out of the Shadows worse mistakes were Casey Jones (might as well been a completely different character), Shredder not getting a proper fight and just standing around looking intimidating and giving orders, wasting Karai again and much worse, and reusing some elements from the final fight of the last movie. Ending on a sequel hook stings bad too. The pros outweigh the cons for me. The turtles get their proper focus, the action is even better (as long as it is not human vs. human), Bebop and Rocksteady are at their best, and Tyler Perry did a great Baxter Stockman. Shoot, along with B&R, he's the actor having the most fun on this movie.

Certain YT critics and '87 only fans consider both these movies either just as bad as Bayformers or worse. Neither of which are true. I had already lost patience with most YT critics or critics always acting negative to anything by 2014, but both of these movies proved how full of shit a majority of them are, and you can't trust any most of what they're saying. Double Toasted consider both movies Rentals at best, but they never went of their way with the whole "My childhood is better than yours!". Nor insulted anyone for enjoying or being curious about either films.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I really really hate Tarantino's habit of lifting musics from other movies.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
You are Not Alone on that one. He's actually been getting that criticism, since the early 2000s.
Actually, it only really started pissing me off when he started doing westerns. And started repurposing my own personnal favorite soundtracks.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Also I don't like time in scifi.

In 20 years we saw so many transformations in society and technology. It's accelerating. Smartphones, computers, drones, etc... But in scifi ? You get time jumps of 50 years, 100 years, 1000 years, with barely any change in-universe, if anything just a cosmetic thingy here and there. The setting should be absolutely unrecognizable from one generation to the next.

Same with medieval fantasy, to some extent, although medieval times did evolve at a slower pace. I still don't know how they manage to cram so many generations or years within just one era.

Also I don't like space in scifi.

Space operas just pretend to enlarge the scale of their stories, but they don't, they just shrink the universe to our standard earthly plot scales. It's an old peeve of mine, but I may have not ranted about it in here. You get cop movies that take place in one city, fine. Characters hide in unknown streets and you get their address you get the jump on them. Then you get globe-trotting spy adventures and you realize that countries are essentially street names ("we found trace of him, he flew to Iran, go there and get him"), with people bumping on each others as soon as they step on the right continent. Space operas ? Planets are essentially street names. One biome, one culture, one (space)port, one restaurant. "There, he's on Alderaan, he can't escape us now." Damn, have you ever tried to set up a deliberate rendez-vous in a mall ? "I'm near the entrance !" "Which one ?" "The same as you !" "I can't find you, move to the left side of the doors !".

Time, space, they just change units, they never change scale. Town, countries, planets, timelines, parallel universes... They never change anything to the plots and its requirements. The stories never make use of them, and never get bigger.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And I really hate it when the alien planet is exactly like Earth, or worse, exactly like that one part of Earth the last alien planet was like. Even stuff like alien plants, or just painting some of the ferns blue makes things look a little different, but it's so rarely done. Where are the planets with the high oxygen content making everything a fire hazard? Or just with rings so it's bright at night?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
And I really hate it when the alien planet is exactly like Earth, or worse, exactly like that one part of Earth the last alien planet was like. Even stuff like alien plants, or just painting some of the ferns blue makes things look a little different, but it's so rarely done. Where are the planets with the high oxygen content making everything a fire hazard? Or just with rings so it's bright at night?
It's an Alien planet but everyone is dressed up as 1920's mobsters and their entire culture is apparently roaring 20's cliches from some reason. Yes, Star Trek, I'm looking at you right now.

AKA the "Shit, we need a script for next week. What sets and costumes are nobody using right now?" effect.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Also I don't like space in scifi.

Space operas just pretend to enlarge the scale of their stories, but they don't, they just shrink the universe to our standard earthly plot scales. It's an old peeve of mine, but I may have not ranted about it in here. You get cop movies that take place in one city, fine. Characters hide in unknown streets and you get their address you get the jump on them. Then you get globe-trotting spy adventures and you realize that countries are essentially street names ("we found trace of him, he flew to Iran, go there and get him"), with people bumping on each others as soon as they step on the right continent. Space operas ? Planets are essentially street names. One biome, one culture, one (space)port, one restaurant. "There, he's on Alderaan, he can't escape us now." Damn, have you ever tried to set up a deliberate rendez-vous in a mall ? "I'm near the entrance !" "Which one ?" "The same as you !" "I can't find you, move to the left side of the doors !".
Sci-fi writers have no sense of Scale indeed.

It annoys the crap out of me as a space nerd when you get space battles being fought at Napoleonic ranges or (more often) WW2 but with spaceships. I get that it looks good on screen but realistically Over the horizon combat has been a thing since the 1940's.

The absurdity of this dawned on me playing Kerbal Space Program and where I'd try to get two spacecraft close enough for docking and realizing anything beyond like a few km apart feels absurdly far away in orbit. You can barely see each other let alone crash into each other. The scene in Starship troopers with all the starships packed together and then crashing into each other was their own fault for how ludericously close to each other they were for no good purpose.

You also have really crazy stuff like Star Trek: Into Darkness where the Enterprise is damaged near the Moon and yet begins falling out of orbit to the Earths surface within minutes. THE EARTH AND THE MOON AREN'T THAT CLOSE TOGETHER! THAT'S NOT EVEN HOW ORBITS WORK! *SCREAMS INCOHERENTLY FOR 15 MINUTES*

Reactions: Absent