Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's an Alien planet but everyone is dressed up as 1920's mobsters and their entire culture is apparently roaring 20's cliches from some reason. Yes, Star Trek, I'm looking at you right now.

AKA the "Shit, we need a script for next week. What sets and costumes are nobody using right now?" effect.
Eh, even that is being a little bit different, and has a certain weird 60s charm.

I liked the one where they go to the planet and it's made up (badly) to look like the OK Corral. Because it's not the real OK Corral, it's a bad alien copy, they don't have to bother with half the walls and the ceilings of buildings, and it works.

On a related note, one of the sci-fi things that impressed me because they got it right was actually in a 40k spin-off novel, where politicians on Earth are talking about an ongoing crisis on Mars, but because of the distance there's a communications lag, and both sides of the argument and playing brinkmanship games only knowing what's happened a few minutes ago, and also knowing that their orders to end the crisis before it gets too far won't get there for another few minutes. Though, the setting has FTL communications they should have been using, but still.

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
There's no original podcast intro music that pleases and bops quite like the Knowledge Fight intro, despite being composed of normally irritating noises.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
On a related note, one of the sci-fi things that impressed me because they got it right was actually in a 40k spin-off novel, where politicians on Earth are talking about an ongoing crisis on Mars, but because of the distance there's a communications lag, and both sides of the argument and playing brinkmanship games only knowing what's happened a few minutes ago, and also knowing that their orders to end the crisis before it gets too far won't get there for another few minutes. Though, the setting has FTL communications they should have been using, but still.
In one of the episodes of the Expanse, the's a similar scene where the military leaders on earth is watching a situation with Mars unfold and due to the time delay can't issue orders in real time so they have to try to anticipate and give orders before something happens and it's very tense. I can't remember the specifics of what happened but the idea being that making the wrong call could either kick off a war(if they were too agressive) or lead to the Earth forces being destroyed(if they weren't agressive enough).

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm all for this type of horror crossover to be official. Jason and Sadako FTW!

Nothing against James Gunn, but I have no interests in the rebooted DC Universe movies, shows, game tie-ins, etc. A lot of my hatred goes towards WB-Discovery and the asshole in charge.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
All this time I thought Bella Ramsey was just her GoT character's name, and read god knows how many articles thinking "why do they always only refer to her as her GoT role name?" Cause many publications tend to refer to actors using their most famous role anyway - for probable clicky traffic bait reasons - and didn't care enough to look into it any further. Well now I have! And I was wrong! It could be society's fault, it could be mine. It could even be a symbiotic sharing of the blame. Tho am no less uninclined to go find their fictional name. Ain't watching that damn show, will fight anyone who try make me!

As there's a thunderdome appreciation wave to ride, just gonna sprinkle some approval of the song into the mix;

Last edited:
Reactions: Absent and BrawlMan

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Terminator 1 was pretty bad and I don't understand how that, out of all the 80s movies, spawned a franchise...
I really love it, for many aspects, even if I find Schwarzenegger's "acting" or "non-acting" overrated in it. But for me it's a near perfect little scifi-thriller, that I classify as close to Spielberg's Duel. A simple chase, an unstoppable, relentless, overwhelingly powerful machine. Just the running away. Plus a romantic time-warped story that works on me. It's a great less-is-more flick.

Oh wow. I accidentally answered a page one hot take. 😶

Anyway.

At some point I know I'll have to muster the courage to express this. It's the pivotal moment from which on BrawlMan will hate my guts forever.

I just dislike movie fistfights. 🥺

I see them as the most tedious, boring moments of movies, series, etc. There are a few exceptions. I enjoy most of them in the early James Bond movies, and for similar reasons I respect those in Jackie Chan movies (although they don't appeal to me as, to add insult to injury, I just can't get into martial art esthetics). But they are generally just dragging forever, and pointless.

The problem I have with them is quite specific : they are long, the outcome is known most of times (it's a "how" spectacle, not a "what"), and above all there is no progression within them. People punch each others and punch each others back and punch each others back until the script demands that one of them stay down, which can occure at absolutely any random point, depending on how long the sequence has been decided to be. It's the case in most action movies, but especially the case with "magical fistfight" and with "cyborg fistfights" where superpowers allow the pugilists to keep crawling out unscathed from the debris (until arbitrary time out). There is no tension, no sense of upper hand or despair, the convention is that any battered character can find a second breath at any point (especially after a flasback triggered by a low point in battle) and, no matter their state, fight with renewed energy to smack down another character who, in turn, is just as vulnerable to "plot-driven knock out" whatever the physical state. And just bleh, yes, we know it, just get on with it, don't act as if there was tension of if there was anything narrated during these unending sequences. It's as annoying to me as love scenes are to kids (and often to me aswell) : they just uselessly put the story on pause for what feels like hours. We got it, carry on with the movie please.

Now of course there are exceptions. There are love scenes that are informative, that tell a lot about the significance of the moment or the dynamics between the characters. There are fight scenes with real progression and real suspense - and those generally involve wit, with the dominated character trning the table though other means than suddenly hitting stronger (or suddenly their hits registering because plot). Spatial awareness, environment use, or sudden openings (Robocop vs Boddicker, The Mountain vs Oberyn), stuff that make sense in a situation's reversal. But these are so much the exceptions that conventional fights are generally expected to be senseless - you generally know that looking tired or battered (if it even is a thing) has no meaning and no effect on the fighters' chances. That there is no "story" within the fight. That it's not a fight.

So when one starts, in such movies (like the MCU/DC ones for instance), my eyelids drop to mid-height and I just go "okay, there we go, call me back when my attention is demanded again". It could be commercial breaks for what they're worth.

There. This is my stance. Fight me over it if you want, but, ffs, make it quick. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, agree with you on fistfights. Actually, a lot of drawn out fights are like that,

One exception that comes to mind is in the Pierce Brosnan Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies. Though, this is from memory, not seen it an a bit, so I might be wrong.

Towards the beginning of the movie, he's being beaten up by some goons in a soundproofed room. They are winning, one guy is holding him while another hits him in the chest and others watch. Then he is able to duck so one of the goons hits one of the others by mistake, taking them all be surprise except him, he gains the initiative and doesn't give it back.

You could argue that it's not a fight in the usual film sense, it's one side having the advantage and beating up the other, then the other side getting the advantage and beating up the first side.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Oh, agree with you on fistfights. Actually, a lot of drawn out fights are like that,

One exception that comes to mind is in the Pierce Brosnan Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies. Though, this is from memory, not seen it an a bit, so I might be wrong.

Towards the beginning of the movie, he's being beaten up by some goons in a soundproofed room. They are winning, one guy is holding him while another hits him in the chest and others watch. Then he is able to duck so one of the goons hits one of the others by mistake, taking them all be surprise except him, he gains the initiative and doesn't give it back.

You could argue that it's not a fight in the usual film sense, it's one side having the advantage and beating up the other, then the other side getting the advantage and beating up the first side.
Yeah. James Bond movies tend to be good at that. Indiana Jones aswell.

But Blade Runner 2049 angered me.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I really love it, for many aspects, even if I find Schwarzenegger's "acting" or "non-acting" overrated in it. But for me it's a near perfect little scifi-thriller, that I classify as close to Spielberg's Duel. A simple chase, an unstoppable, relentless, overwhelingly powerful machine. Just the running away. Plus a romantic time-warped story that works on me. It's a great less-is-more flick.

No, you've just done a great justice here. I must have missed that post from two years ago, because had I seen it, I would likely have started a fight.

The Terminator is fucking great. Terminator 2 is great. Everything after that? Meh. But throwing shade on the OG is borderline heresy. Shame on you, @Trunkage. I'm imagining putting you in a Clockwork Orange situation, clipping your eyes open and making you watch The Terminator on repeat until you accept how great that movie is.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I dunno if I'd say the Terminator is great (though, having seen later actors, I really appreciate the acting of the Terminators in 1 and 2), but it certainly isn't bad.

As an aside, it occurred to me that if Skynet had sent a Terminator to kill John Connor while he was at school, it'd barely make the headlines.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Anyway.

At some point I know I'll have to muster the courage to express this. It's the pivotal moment from which on BrawlMan will hate my guts forever.

I just dislike movie fistfights. 🥺

I see them as the most tedious, boring moments of movies, series, etc. There are a few exceptions. I enjoy most of them in the early James Bond movies, and for similar reasons I respect those in Jackie Chan movies (although they don't appeal to me as, to add insult to injury, I just can't get into martial art esthetics). But they are generally just dragging forever, and pointless.

The problem I have with them is quite specific : they are long, the outcome is known most of times (it's a "how" spectacle, not a "what"), and above all there is no progression within them. People punch each others and punch each others back and punch each others back until the script demands that one of them stay down, which can occure at absolutely any random point, depending on how long the sequence has been decided to be. It's the case in most action movies, but especially the case with "magical fistfight" and with "cyborg fistfights" where superpowers allow the pugilists to keep crawling out unscathed from the debris (until arbitrary time out). There is no tension, no sense of upper hand or despair, the convention is that any battered character can find a second breath at any point (especially after a flasback triggered by a low point in battle) and, no matter their state, fight with renewed energy to smack down another character who, in turn, is just as vulnerable to "plot-driven knock out" whatever the physical state. And just bleh, yes, we know it, just get on with it, don't act as if there was tension of if there was anything narrated during these unending sequences. It's as annoying to me as love scenes are to kids (and often to me aswell) : they just uselessly put the story on pause for what feels like hours. We got it, carry on with the movie please.

Now of course there are exceptions. There are love scenes that are informative, that tell a lot about the significance of the moment or the dynamics between the characters. There are fight scenes with real progression and real suspense - and those generally involve wit, with the dominated character trning the table though other means than suddenly hitting stronger (or suddenly their hits registering because plot). Spatial awareness, environment use, or sudden openings (Robocop vs Boddicker, The Mountain vs Oberyn), stuff that make sense in a situation's reversal. But these are so much the exceptions that conventional fights are generally expected to be senseless - you generally know that looking tired or battered (if it even is a thing) has no meaning and no effect on the fighters' chances. That there is no "story" within the fight. That it's not a fight.

So when one starts, in such movies (like the MCU/DC ones for instance), my eyelids drop to mid-height and I just go "okay, there we go, call me back when my attention is demanded again". It could be commercial breaks for what they're worth.

There. This is my stance. Fight me over it if you want, but, ffs, make it quick. :rolleyes:
I thank you for being honest. I don't hate your guts forever or at all. What you're saying really isn't much of a hot take: that is Sturgeon's Law going into effect. I know you mentioned you don't care much for martial arts feelings but do have respect for Jackie Chan and others that do them. That is understandable. While action scenes have gotten better than what they were in the mid-2000s and throughout most of the 2010s, they're still plauged with issues. I've noticed that a lot of Marvel films; more so Marvel. They either have generic action sequences, or they're edited poorly. Not to the extent of adjacent Bourne movie and it's clones, but still a big sign of incompetence or not knowing how to film action. DC on the other end knows how to film their action scenes. You can say whatever the hell you want about them, but they know how to do action and make theirs unique. I don't need every action sequence to be a fist fight, but even in good ones, they can drag depending on how it's done and if there's proper buildup or not.

I will say that I am glad just to have regular R-Rated action movies make a comeback since the early to mid 2010s.

Not every movie is for everyone. I learned that the easy way when I was a teenager.

Edit: As for cyborg on cyborg fighting, Terminator 2 says hi. Then there's of course the final fight scene in Drive (1997). There is tension and build up to either one, but especially T2.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Terminator 1 was pretty bad and I don't understand how that, out of all the 80s movies, spawned a franchise... Actually, it doesn't suprise me. They franchised Missing in Action ffs

Basically-
Production Budget:$6,400,000 (worldwide box office is 12.2 times production budget)

They worked wonders with what they had to work with back then. Stan Winston’s earlier visual effects work shows its age, but audio especially on the remastered version during firefights has held up incredibly well.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Basically-
Production Budget:$6,400,000 (worldwide box office is 12.2 times production budget)

They worked wonders with what they had to work with back then. Stan Winston’s earlier visual effects work shows its age, but audio especially on the remastered version during firefights has held up incredibly well.
I would defend the prosthetic Arnie head for it only being 1984, but then The Thing came out in '82 and blows The Terminator out of the water on that front. Though apparently that movie reserved 1.6 million dollars for the prosthetics alone, along with Rob Bottin being a flesh genuis.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I thank you for being honest. I don't hate your guts forever or at all. What you're saying really isn't much of a hot take: that is Sturgeon's Law going into effect. I know you mentioned you don't care much for martial arts feelings but do have respect for Jackie Chan and others that do them. That is understandable. Well action scenes have gotten better than what they were in the mid-2000s and throughout most of the 2010s, they're still played with issues. I've noticed that a lot of Marvel films, more so Marvel either have generic action sequences, or they're edited poorly. Not to the extent of adjacent Bourne movie and it's clones, but still a big sign of incompetence or not knowing how to film action. DC on the other end knows how to film their action scenes. You can say whatever the hell you want about them, but they know how to do action and make theirs unique. I don't need every action sequence to be a fist fight, but even in good ones they can drag depending on how it's done and if there's proper buildup or not.
Well, there's of course several ways to evaluate fight scenes, and we're not sensitive to all of them. I grew to appreciate paintings as I got old, in the sense that I can be in awe in front of a very well done artistic painting of a very mundane thing (a shoe, a chair, whatever) whereas, as a kid, I was interested or bored by the subject matter only (paint Icarus falling from the sky, I'm in, paint a fruit basket, I don't care). Same with acting : I can now be really impressed by a very accurate acting on some very subtle, mundane, everyday emotion. I used to only care if it was the emotion of being chased by a dragon. It's how it's done rather than what is done, which impresses me.

But it's still the opposite with fight sequences, for me. As I said, I evaluate a "good fight" narratively rather than stylistically - like, is the fight itself a plot in progress, with twists and turns and anticipations and surprises. In contrast, if someone is, say, interested in martial arts, a fight can be judged on choreography alone, for the "beauty" of it. And that's the case for many action movies (actions movies that, like most martial arts movies, are "about" the fights sequences). It's like the fight is its own thing, a reel like a music, that is inserted for 10 minutes, independently from the plot (which just leads to it, and resumes from the outcome).

In that sense, it can be a "beautiful" fight, well filmed (easy to follow) and well staged (believable yet impressive), but I'm not part of its public, just like I'm not part of the public of a muslcal's song or a dance sequence. For me, the song interruption only has my interest if it features dialogues that advance the plot, the dance only if it's the pretext of a microfilm exchange, or an undercover rescue attempt in a castle of vampires. For others, the song or dance are appreciated for their own qualities.

All this to say it's not exactly Sturgeon's law, as... it's more about the use, or the framing, or the inner narrative of the fight than the fight itself. If I can appreciate a Jackie Chan fight, it's for its Bond-ish inventivity when it comes to the use of the environment. It's like a slapstic story in it (grabs that object, uses it cleverly, object breaks, still finds a use, etc). But... I know intellectually and by reputation that Bruce Lee fights are excellent fights, and yet they'd probably annoy me. It's unrelated to being in the top 10% quality. And the DC fights bore me immensely, no matter how well they are filmed, simply because it's superheroes fighting until the scriptwriter decides it's long enough and one stays down : until then it's pure visuals, you have no sense of how close one is to stop getting up. You have no, let's say, "health bar" and anticipation of the rate at which a blow would lower them. It's pure visuals, and no matter how "good", they feel empty to me.

In a way, I see them like another pet peeve : The sequence where something dangerous is happening in some location, intercut with the hero speeding towards that location to arrive in time. Very often these intercuts have zero time/geography point of references (you just see the car being driven very fast through nondescript streets which can be three hours or 30 seconds away) so you get no real tension about the hero arriving on time - the script can decide any moment that "okay, they're here now". For me it's much weaker, narratively, than known distances and known countdown, the competing space/time races, where you can really evaluate how close to making it they are. I find these sequences devoid of information, empty, and uselessly long. It's how I feel with fights and their "elastic health bar".

See, it's a much more narrow gripe than quality, it's really about one factor. It can make me dislike gorgeous ("high quality") fights sequences and appreciate much more clumsy ("low quality") ones, as long as the fight is truly "informative" (in terms of progression or strategies with real stakes). One fighter finds a knife, oho, interesting. Both fighters keep stabbing each others with no effect until the end, I yawn.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, I am the one who thinks that Maverick is about an old person negging everyone so he can take over as leader of the mission. If it was a good movie, he would have been the back up (I.e. in the team but putting enough self belief into his people so THEY could be leaders. So Cars 3 did it better). Also, Casino Royale (reboot) is the only good James Bond. Most are very average to poor

For T1, I don't think the characters were fleshed out, the world building was thin, I think Hamilton and Arnie acted better in the second, there was more pathos for all the characters and the threat was far more unrelenting. I'd prefer to watch Demolition Man than T1. Much better movie

It's a 6/10. Compared to T2 9/10. It's actually a proper sequel that was took what was great about the first and made it better. Can't say that about many movies.

Of course, it's absolutely fine if you dislike these opinions

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Beastie Boys are complete shit. A caricature of rap, a bunch of white dudes screaming into the mic and somehow into the history of music.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Beastie Boys are complete shit. A caricature of rap, a bunch of white dudes screaming into the mic and somehow into the history of music.
I going to have to highly disagree. Look, not every song was a hitter for some people, and even the BBs regrets some of their really early songs (the ones that are misognistic), but those dudes had talent. They're one of the early rappers (not the first) to bridge hard rock/heavy metal/punk with rap and hip-hop together. Without them, we wouldn't have Linkin Park or the Gorillaz. Especially the former. So give credit where credit is due. It sucks 1 out of 3 have passed away, but we should at least honor and give them the respect they deserve. Regardless of like and dislike. "Alive" is their most underrated song, and I consider the best, because it's a more chill rap song compared to their usual fare. Plus, it drops some good wisdom and life lessons.