Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Richard Linklater, Jim Jarmusch, Spike Lee and the rest of the American Gen X hipster film school peaked mid-90s. They have a sweet entourage of friends and collaborators and are always interesting to watch but they all kinda sold out, or tried to sell out, and never quite came back from it.

PTA and the Coens' [is the name of my prog rock band] best year remains 2007: There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men. They've had some great movies since but they maxed out their artistic potential in 2007. PTA tried and failed to go back to Boogie Nights/Magnolia with Inherent Vice; otherwise it's all enigmatic yet frustrating ruminations on weird, codependent relationships. The Coens just lost their way and not coincidentally split up after their worst movie.

Edgar Wright desperately needs to get the gang back together.

David Cronenberg has had all of two good movies after forsaking body horror. His son has been making up for it pretty well though.

It's never happening but I wish David Lynch would make another movie again. No weather reports, no shorts for Cannes, stop stealing movies and shows from other people - get out there and make another movie. It's been over 20 years. I'm not counting Inland Empire.

Same for Herzog. He's a little too comfy as a scene-stealing weirdo in random projects.

Denis Villeneuve, Sam Mendes and Christopher Nolan are the best thing happening in Hollywood right now, in terms of big budget studio pictures with a vision. Tarantino rules but he's on his way out.

Robert Eggers, Ari Aster and the dude that made It Follows/Silver Lake are my favorite up and coming directors. Two-three movies each and nothing but bangers.

Spielberg still has "it" (you know, "it") but has settled into the old man groove of terribly important Biopics and terribly important True Stories. I miss his movies about sharks and ghosts and aliens and adventure.

Ron Howard is a hack filmmaker and I mean that in the most positive way possible.

The fact people rate so highly the likes of James Gunn and Taika shows how starved they are for creative spark and personal touch in their popcorn. Sam Raimi got here first and can mop the floor with either.

EDIT: Steven Soderbergh is a gem. Even his flawed stuff. He's a great actor's director and has a super interesting perspective for high concept stories. I'm sorry to say nothing quite beats Traffic though.

Speaking of the 90s. I forgot David Fincher. He's up there for me but seems like he's plateaued after Gone Girl. First he got too big (Benjamin Button, Dragon Tattoo). Killed Mindhunter for Mank, now he's pussy-footing with remasters. I dunno. You can't beat his 90s streak, but neither can he.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Richard Linklater, Jim Jarmusch, Spike Lee and the rest of the American Gen X hipster film school peaked mid-90s. They have a sweet entourage of friends and collaborators and are always interesting to watch but they all kinda sold out, or tried to sell out, and never quite came back from it.
At least Spike Lee went back to what works for him with some of his recent outing. Probably helps, he learned to calm the fuck down.

Denis Villeneuve, Sam Mendes and Christopher Nolan are the best thing happening in Hollywood right now, in terms of big budget studio pictures with a vision. Tarantino rules but he's on his way out.
Christopher Nolan is just fancier and snobbier Michael Bay. I like some of his work (mainly the TDK Trilogy), but the rest are overlong and have clunky dialogue. Tarantino I've grown to dislike, and I can't stand a majority of his movies. He's nothing more than asshole who "discovered old movies" and acts as if he's being creative by referencing them or "adding a new twist". Any movies of his involving trying to get "N-word privileges" does not help him. Spike Lee called him out hard during the 90s, that Tarantino would not do something like that again until Django Unchained and Hateful 8. I'll my other points from a few weeks ago.

In addition, a lot of this films just use references or he's making a basis to a reference from movies he grew up watching movies from the 60s and 70s, and acting like he discovered them. How can you discover something, when it was already there before you were even born? If you have influences or what inspired you, that's fine and all, but don't act like you discovered something that was already made.

Another problem with Tarantino, is that he tried to coast on black people, and felt like he was "one of us", thus it was okay for him to say the n word. Spike Lee call him out hard on this back in the early '90s, and for a long while, he didn't do it again. At least until the Django and the Hateful Eight. I get it and both of those movies the word was commonplace, but he still over and dozed in it. More so in H8. For further evidence of Tarantino trying to be hidden with all black people, find any interviews where he was on BET back in the mid 2000s. I think Kill Bill Volume 2 was about to be out by that point or was out.
Yep. Oh, and this:

He does have a real "holier than though, oh you wouldn't understand its from an obscure Japanese film only true cinema fans would know" vibe. And yeah, his constant use of the n-word and his feet fetish make his movies just uncomfortable. Not in a prude, "oh think of the children" way. In a "this guy jerks off when he watches his own movies" way.
The fact people rate so high the likes of James Gunn and Taika shows how starved they are for creative spark and personal touch in their popcorn. Sam Raimi got here first and can mop the floor with either.
I don't know much about Taika, but Gunn at least tries and has his own personal stamp that works. Raimi can mop the floor with either , but I don't care. Raimi does what works for him, and so does Gunn.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Well, I like Waititi (his humour works enough on me that I enjoy finding it in every movie, and I don't have enough respect for the Marvel material to be bothered by it being undercut). And I consider Nolan vastly overrated (he makes pretty images, but way too self-important movies given how childish and nonsensical his plots are - full style over substance but again, awesome style). And I see Tarantino as an overrated kid also (his movies oddly seem to have a lower attention span than his public), but... I don't think he takes himself seriously enough for it to matter.

But these are details, in a long post with which I generally agree to the point of not being sure these takes are that hot.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well, I like Waititi (his humour works enough on me that I enjoy finding it in every movie, and I don't have enough respect for the Marvel material to be bothered by it being undercut). And I consider Nolan vastly overrated (he makes pretty images, but way too self-important movies given how childish and nonsensical his plots are - full style over substance but again, awesome style). And I see Tarantino as an overrated kid also (his movies oddly seem to have a lower attention span than his public), but... I don't think he takes himself seriously enough for it to matter.

But these are details, in a long post with which I generally agree to the point of not being sure these takes are that hot.
I thought Inception and Interstellar were overrated in terms of marveling at their complexity and inscrutability. They're fairly straight forward sci-fi or action sci-fi with a gimmick. But I did enjoy them. He made three great Batman movies in a row, which is a record. Yes, Rises is a bit of a mess but remains the best (only?) "ending movie" for a superhero. And Dunkirk was probably the most awesome IMAX experience I've ever had.

I don't have any strong thoughts about Taika. He was the hot new thing the MCU needed and like the MCU he too overstayed his welcome.

Tarantino made some great movies in the 90s and then went on to make the best movie of 2019, which is more than I can say for the other Gen X wunderkinds.

On that note (comebacks) I love Sidney Lumet. Dude made Twelve Angry Men in 1958 and then some 50 years later, without missing a beat, made Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The Netflix adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender will very likely not be as good as the original animated series. That doesn't mean it can't be a good series in its own right.

And I don't think Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko being attached would have made the show any better. Those two worked on Legend of Korra as well and that series was not without its problems.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't think this is a particularly hot take, but after Morbius, why the fuck do actors keep signing up for Sony Cinematic Universe Media? None of these dudes are unknown actors looking for their big break. When you're a celebrity of that level, do you just stay off social media and therefore miss out that these movies are hot garbage?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I don't think this is a particularly hot take, but after Morbius, why the fuck do actors keep signing up for Sony Cinematic Universe Media? None of these dudes are unknown actors looking for their big break. When you're a celebrity of that level, do you just stay off social media and therefore miss out that these movies are hot garbage?
A paycheck is a paycheck.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The late Sir Christopher Lee once said "An actor must expect to be in terrible films, but they should never be terrible in them" or words to that effect. It could be they follow that maxim, they're offered a job that will pay them reasonably well, at the very least get their face out there in the public eye and hey the stars could align and the movie could end up being good. And hey, if they think the movie is gonna be garbage, they can always just overact and make a ham of themselves so at least they'll have fun making the movie.

You know, like these guys very wisely did.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The late Sir Christopher Lee once said "An actor must expect to be in terrible films, but they should never be terrible in them" or words to that effect. It could be they follow that maxim, they're offered a job that will pay them reasonably well, at the very least get their face out there in the public eye and hey the stars could align and the movie could end up being good. And hey, if they think the movie is gonna be garbage, they can always just overact and make a ham of themselves so at least they'll have fun making the movie.

You know, like these guys very wisely did.

Speaking of Street Fighter, the only reason so many people are changing their opinions about the movie, is because of Raul. It's still a terrible movie, that is for the most parts, boring. Whenever I need to see a clip, I just check on youtube. I will never buy a DVD copy of this movie.

Aizawa, from MHA, is a terrible teacher and one of the worst teachers in anime history. On second thought, not just anime, but practically spanning nearly all mediums. What's worse that we're supposed to like this guy. He only has a few legit points, but it's way too strict and much of an ass.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Okay, I'm not the first person to point this out, but I'll say it - Avatar is often compared to Dances With Wolves/Pocohontas/Fern Gully, but in fact, it should be compared to Dune.

Ahem:

"Jake Sully/Paul Atreides travels to the moon/planet of Pandora/Arakkis, which is inhabited by the na'vi/Fremen. The world is the sole source of unobtanium/spice, which is vital to the functioning of spaceflight (among other things). The harvesting of this is done by giant dozers which tear up the ground, and the newcomers have to be aware of the hostile wildlife, being mainly holed up in Hell's Gate/Arakeen. Jake/Paul is part of the RDA/Imperium, who have a strained relationship with the natives. Due to various circumstances, Jake/Paul end up ingratiated among the na'vi/Fremen, and fall in love with Neytiri/Chani. Because of pre-existing myths, Jake/Paul is hailed as Toruk Makto/Muad'Dib. They use their skills and background to aid the na'vi/Fremen to drive the RDA/Imperium off Pandora/Arakkis and end up in a position of permanent leadership."

And before anyone says anything, yes, Dune Messiah and Way of Water go in completely different directions, and yes, there's still differences, but still...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, I'm not the first person to point this out, but I'll say it - Avatar is often compared to Dances With Wolves/Pocohontas/Fern Gully, but in fact, it should be compared to Dune.

Ahem:

"Jake Sully/Paul Atreides travels to the moon/planet of Pandora/Arakkis, which is inhabited by the na'vi/Fremen. The world is the sole source of unobtanium/spice, which is vital to the functioning of spaceflight (among other things). The harvesting of this is done by giant dozers which tear up the ground, and the newcomers have to be aware of the hostile wildlife, being mainly holed up in Hell's Gate/Arakeen. Jake/Paul is part of the RDA/Imperium, who have a strained relationship with the natives. Due to various circumstances, Jake/Paul end up ingratiated among the na'vi/Fremen, and fall in love with Neytiri/Chani. Because of pre-existing myths, Jake/Paul is hailed as Toruk Makto/Muad'Dib. They use their skills and background to aid the na'vi/Fremen to drive the RDA/Imperium off Pandora/Arakkis and end up in a position of permanent leadership."

And before anyone says anything, yes, Dune Messiah and Way of Water go in completely different directions, and yes, there's still differences, but still...
Funny enough, Cameron has admitted Princess Mononoke was his major inspiration for Avatar, sooo....

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I really shouldn't be surprised, but Goddamn the reactions to the news about the working conditions for Spider-verse are appalling. There are some truly terrible takes out there, but the one that really got me is not straight up despicable, just kinda sad.

If the animators were paid a fixed amount and made to revise already rendered animated scenes multiple times, it would be toxic as hell. But if they got paid by the hour, does it matter if revisions were made after the render was done?
Even ignoring that this overtime pay is still most likely unfair (I recall the article said that overtime is used to bring artist's minimum wage to a livable level), since when does being paid mean it's fine to be treated like shit? We all will at one point have to do difficult for our jobs, but 11 hours a day 7 days a week for more than a year goes far beyond what should be expected from any worker.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I really shouldn't be surprised, but Goddamn the reactions to the news about the working conditions for Spider-verse are appalling. There are some truly terrible takes out there, but the one that really got me is not straight up despicable, just kinda sad.

Even ignoring that this overtime pay is still most likely unfair (I recall the article said that overtime is used to bring artist's minimum wage to a livable level), since when does being paid mean it's fine to be treated like shit? We all will at one point have to do difficult for our jobs, but 11 hours a day 7 days a week for more than a year goes far beyond what should be expected from any worker.
Not to mention the sheer mental hit it would take to work hard on something for hours, only to have it be scrapped and be told "start over". Repeatedly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not to mention the sheer mental hit it would take to work hard on something for hours, only to have it be scrapped and be told "start over". Repeatedly.
How many times could that happen before you started not bothering, because your work probably wont be used this time anyway?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kim Possible I found so much better than Totally Spies. I know TS isn't bad, but I couldn't stay hooked for long.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Bringing this over from the video game hot takes thread, though I normally don't come to this part of the forums:

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is better than SatAM.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Kim Possible I found so much better than Totally Spies. I know TS isn't bad, but I couldn't stay hooked for long.
I don't know if I'd call this a hot take. I'm doing a Totally Spies marathon right now and while I enjoy it, I certainly wouldn't say it is as good as Kim Possible even though it ran for longer.

On a related note, Delilah & Julius should have run for as long as Kim Possible and Totally Spies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know if I'd call this a hot take. I'm doing a Totally Spies marathon right now and while I enjoy it, I certainly wouldn't say it is as good as Kim Possible even though it ran for longer.
Kim Possible knew to end on a high note, even when it got renewed for a new season. Totally Spies Grand Finale was Season 5, and most fans tends to ignore the later seasons. Stopping at the end of the fifth season. I couldn't handle the constant valley girl speak either, so I had to stop. I barely got through the first and second season.

On a related note, Delilah & Julius should have run for as long as Kim Possible and Totally Spies.
I forgot that even existed. I never kept on it, so I can't even judge on its quality, early flash animation aside.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Kim Possible knew to end on a high note, even when it got renewed for a new season. Totally Spies Grand Finale was Season 5, and most fans tends to ignore the later seasons. Stopping at the end of the fifth season. I couldn't handle the constant valley girl speak either, so I had to stop. I barely got through the first and second season.

I forgot that even existed. I never kept on it, so I can't even judge on its quality, early flash animation aside.
Yeah, it's something of a cult classic and only got two seasons. The 2000s were both the best and worst times for kids action cartoons. On one hand, we got a lot of them and a number were pretty decent at least. On the other, so many of them only lasted three seasons or less.