Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is a take I can agree with. Mutant Mayhem's references I didn't find too bad, but they did lack subtlety. Even the TMNT 2014 films chose not to go overboard on them.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So I watched one of those videos of all the deleted scenes in "The Flash". Holy fuck if you thought Ezra Miller was annoying in the theatrical, yeah the studio noticed. Every fuckin deleted scene is just Ezra Miller screaming like an Ostrich giving birth to Tucker Carlson.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The advertisement industry rinsed and ruined ukuleles of their charm years before Colleen Ballinger did.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I generally don't like shows with pinky-and-the-brain-like opening songs which lyrics serve to narrate the pitch and present the characters. It makes the songs feel so artificial and tediously expository with a sense of forced fun as it ticks the infos to convey.

I'm okay with it in movies, though.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I generally don't like shows with pinky-and-the-brain-like opening songs which lyrics serve to narrate the pitch and present the characters. It makes the songs feel so artificial and tediously expository with a sense of forced fun as it ticks the infos to convey.

I'm okay with it in movies, though.
I'm guessing watching most cartoons (and most dubbed anime) produced in the past 30 years is not fun for you.

Reactions: BrawlMan

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
I'm guessing watching most cartoons (and most dubbed anime) produced in the past 30 years is not fun for you.
Most opening themes for anime is abstract gibberish passing as poetry, so this metric would surely give it a pass.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That depends, the show itself usually has to be good in order for this work, but not all the time obviously. Most shows in the US pulled this off well, and Pinky & The Brain is no exception. We don't count the season with Elmyra Fudd. Here's the best and catchiest ones that do this:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Most opening themes for anime is abstract gibberish passing as poetry, so this metric would surely give it a pass.
Assuming you're not just being an asshole, I'm referring to the English language themes. Think Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Bob in a Bottle, Digimon etc.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not quite the right thread for this, but:

You know the thing in films and TV where a character gets into a car, and it automatically locks them in and starts driving, optionally with the villain talking from radio or taking them on a wild remote control ride before driving off the end of something?

Doctor Vulcan did that to someone in the first episode of "King of the Rocket Men". In 1949, nearly 75 years ago. Had no idea it the idea was that old.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Assuming you're not just being an asshole
Why wouldn't I be? These are the hot takes, not the popular ones. And I know that stiff rooted in childhoods are a bit sacrosanct and brilliant no matter what. But yeah, for me it's mostly retrospect cringe. Even though, to be fair, I never liked the animaniacs stuff. I'm aware it kid of makes me a monster, as I don't know any human being with the same feeling as me on these things.

Anywaay, continuing the trend :

At the end of Robocop, Lewis is dead and Robocop doesn't exist anymore.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also, you know the bit in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where the speedboats go between the hulls of two big ships and one gets squished?

That's the cliffhanger for the 3rd episode of the 1937 serial of Dick Tracy.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Why wouldn't I be? These are the hot takes, not the popular ones. And I know that stiff rooted in childhoods are a bit sacrosanct and brilliant no matter what. But yeah, for me it's mostly retrospect cringe. Even though, to be fair, I never liked the animaniacs stuff. I'm aware it kid of makes me a monster, as I don't know any human being with the same feeling as me on these things.

Anywaay, continuing the trend :

At the end of Robocop, Lewis is dead and Robocop doesn't exist anymore.
I didn’t quote you, go back and give the source post another once over.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Edgy has truly lost all meaning as a word if people are applying it to Loonatics Unleashed of all things. I also think most of the hatred was from people way too old to be watching a Looney Tunes show.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Edgy has truly lost all meaning as a word if people are applying it to Loonatics Unleashed of all things. I also think most of the hatred was from people way too old to be watching a Looney Tunes show.
To be fair, Unleashed came out for a audience that was barely below my age bracket. I was 16 when that show came out. I was never afraid to watch a Looney Tunes cartoon, but I always found Unleashed underwhelming. I can already tell you, if 9 to 13-year-old me saw that show, he would be bored and would want something else to watch immediately. Unleashed feels like it wants to be an action show with cartoon animals, but they happen to throw Looney Tunes characters in. The cartoon feels like originally, it was supposed to be a different show and WB had them just throw those characters in there for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
To be fair, Unleashed came out for a audience that was barely below my age bracket. I was 16 when that show came out. I was never afraid to watch a Looney Tunes cartoon, but I always found Unleashed underwhelming. I can already tell you, if 9 to 13-year-old me saw that show, he will be bored and would want something else to immediately. At least feels like he wants to be an action show with cartoon animals, but they happen to throw Looney Tunes characters in. It feels like originally it was supposed to be a different show and WB had them just throw those characters in there
I think there were better definitely better animated shows. Still, I didn't think it was the worst thing ever and I'm not too difficult to please when it comes to the Looney Tunes. To this day, I'm still baffled by how contentious Space Jam was among Looney Tunes fans.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still, I didn't think it was the worst thing ever and I'm not too difficult to please when it comes to the Looney Tunes. To this day, I'm still baffled by how contentious Space Jam was among Looney Tunes fans.
Unleashed was declared the worst thing ever during it's run and premiere, but I am surprised there are old guards still pissing and moaning over nothing. As for Space Jam, other than the soundtrack watching the original does nothing for me now, and I won't look at the sequel either.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Hey what are you all gonna watch after Netflix cancels One Piece?