Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Assuming you're not just being an asshole, I'm referring to the English language themes. Think Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Bob in a Bottle, Digimon etc.
Not sure if I ignored or missed the part where you clearly specified dubbed, but my description stands in a vacuum as a contribution to the thread.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Ed Gamble should be cast as Ivanhoe, Simon Templar, Brett Sinclair and James Bond.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Those crying about The Creator "not doing anything original or original enough" are full of ass. I'm not saying it's the most original movie, nor change your life, but clear effort was put into this sci-fi project and left a big impression me. Calling it an Avatar "clone" is just stupid, and usually comes from the people who over praise that film franchise. Forgetting that Avatar ain't all that original either, other than the blue cat people, and takes from Dances With Wolves, Pocahantas, and especially Princess Mononoke.

The Creator is already on my FOTY list. Can't wait to get this one on Blu-Ray.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Not one remake, resurrection, continuation, or re-imagining has been worth it. None.
No I haven't watched them all, of course, but.. ugh, come on. Just... blech.

X-Files, Sex & the City, Gilmore Girls, Fresh Prince, Fuller House, Dynasty, Dallas, Arrested Development, Deadwood, Justified: City Primeval, El Camino, and now freaking Frasier. Picard season 3 counts as an unnecessary TNG continuation. There was a new Matrix movie a couple years ago for some reason.

My hot take? Let things that ended stay ended. I could see if a show was canceled abruptly doing a one-off movie or mini-series to properly wrap it up, like with what happened with Farscape a while back. But the Deadwood was way too long by which point it was hard to care. City Primeval wasn't terrible but that show had one of the best endings of all time- adding more stuff just weakens that. Sex & the City drags on so long that its most charismatic actor/characters just can't even any more.

There was an announcement a while back that there was going to be a remake of my second-favorite space show of all time Babylon 5. It would be all new cast of course because all the original ones are old and, sadly, mostly dead now actually. But the original creator is still kickin' so it would be "legit" with him behind the wheel. But I think it's not gonna happen because it's one of the properties under that whole Warner/Discover/HBO mish-mash now. And you know?.. good, I hope it doesn't happen. Yes, some of it looks outdated today but so what, it's a 90's show, let it be that. For now they're doing an animated film and the trailer looks so bad lol... let things stay done!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Star Trek TNG was itself a continuation of Star Trek: TOS, though. The Magnificent Seven was a re-imagining of The Seven Samurai. Maybe.

But, ok, yeah, usually it's rubbish, but then most stuff is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fresh Prince
I heard that remakes actually pretty good. I'm still not invested in it, but my parents and older brother enjoyed a lot.

You're justified rant does remind me of what happened to the Tenchi franchise. At least two of the continuities have definitive endings (with Universe having a movie finale that puts a complete end to that series) , but the original is still ongoing and almost no one is invested in it. Not even localizers want OVA 5 and possibly 6.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Star Trek TNG was itself a continuation of Star Trek: TOS, though. The Magnificent Seven was a re-imagining of The Seven Samurai. Maybe.

But, ok, yeah, usually it's rubbish, but then most stuff is.
hahah, no no.

TNG takes place 100 years later and has all new characters. It's continuation of a world, or franchise (that was already continued with the movies and the animated series).

And Magnificent Seven (and a Fistful of Dollars, etc)- westerns that take the basic plot of a samurai film- that's just one of many examples throughout history of re-telling tropes and rhythms in story-telling and recontextualizing pop culture.

Which is very different from the current trend of just playing on recent nostalgia to never let a thing die. It's just happening so much now that it's overwhelming.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Mankind being mankind, I'm surprised we don't have more action movies where the hero avenges the murder of his innocent daughter by killing the murderer's innocent daughter.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mankind being mankind, I'm surprised we don't have more action movies where the hero avenges the murder of his innocent daughter by killing the murderer's innocent daughter.
Because that is misplaced retribution and revenge by proxy. That sends a horrible life lesson anywhere and everywhere. Now those terms and phrase have been explored in fiction before, but it is usually used for why it's wrong, or exploring themes about different types of morality. Most sensible and sane people don't want an action movie about some person getting revenge by killing that person's innocent child or children, and glorifying it.

Last edited:

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Because that is misplaced retribution and revenge by proxy. That sends a horrible life lesson anywhere and everywhere. Now those terms and phrase have been exploring the fiction before, but that's usually but you know why it's wrong or exploring themes about different types of morality. Most sensible and sane people don't want an action movie about some person getting revenge by killing that person's innocent child or children, and glorifying it.
Mankind being mankind,

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
The Fear Street trilogy is a better Scream than any of the modern Scream. That movie trilogy is better than the entire franchise. Ironic, because the trilogy was influenced by 90 slashers and mainly Scream.
Well, 1994 was influenced by Scream. 1978 was Friday the 13th, and 1666 was...I dunno, The VVitch, maybe?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The 1986 Transformers movie was intended as a glorified advertisement for kids toys. It didn't really have to be decent, it didn't have to be inventive, it certainly didn't have to be relentlessly very good the whole way through.

People could have just gone for "eh, good enough" (and Orson Welles did, though in a way that made Unicron creepy), and it would have been alright.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The 1986 Transformers movie was intended as a glorified advertisement for kids toys. It didn't really have to be decent, it didn't have to be inventive, it certainly didn't have to be relentlessly very good the whole way through.

People could have just gone for "eh, good enough" (and Orson Welles did, though in a way that made Unicron creepy), and it would have been alright.
Yet it transcended and became something more. I say this, and I'm not a super hardcore transformers fan. I like the franchise, but I haven't seen every single TV series.

It be like that at times when it comes to certain movies, TV shows, animated shows or movies, and games. It just goes to shows what happens when you actually put that much care and thought into your product, and don't treat your audiences like they're thundering dumbasses.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
May be the only person left alive who thought Guy Ritchie's Revolver was kinda enjoyable and unexpected departure from previous work. Well, there's one other person am aware of but am obligated to uphold their anonymity for their own safety.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
May be the only person left alive who thought Guy Ritchie's Revolver was kinda enjoyable and unexpected departure from previous work. Well, there's one other person am aware of but am obligated to uphold their anonymity for their own safety.
I never seen nor heard of it. I've only seen some of Ritchie's work, so I can form an opinion. If you like it, I figured it can be bad as people like to exaggerate from what I'm assuming.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There was an announcement a while back that there was going to be a remake of my second-favorite space show of all time Babylon 5.
The reason I support this endevour, is because Babylon 5 underwent extensive under the hood (and very well disguised) rewrites and changes due to the loss of actors and many other factors. I would be very interested to see a version of the show as originally envisaged by JMS. Like the two would be significantly different enough to justify each other's existence.

Honestly my biggest wonder would be who to cast as Jeffrey Sinclair, because despite some of his shortcomings as a television actor, Michael O'Hare - currently exploring beyond the Rim - left a massive impression even though he only had a single season.

Last edited: