MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silverspetz said:
And he is already freelancing for Badass Digest with articles. Haters, go home, cause Bob's not going anywhere.
Didn't you just say he went to Badass Digest?

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Gorrath said:
As for the health of The Escapist, I reserve judgement until they fill the creative void. Just because Bob and Jim had some very interesting content they are hardly the only two men capable of creating good works. I'd love to see a guy with Bob's chops come on board if he comes without Bob's worst faults.
The issue is that a lot of content creators are looking to youtube and paetrons to make money now and sites like The Escapist might have a harder time grabbing the more successful ones. To find someone who isn't making it all on their own, can make high quality content and keep a fast past schedule will be hard.

OT: I'm going to miss Moviebob. I always liked his Big Pictures and I often found his movie reviews to be pretty informative (reviews about The Amazing Spiderman, The Expendables etc usually being the exception). It really hit me today when I realized that there will be no more Big Picture on The Escapist. Things are disappearing so fast and with nothing in sight to replace them it is kinda depressing. The next few months will be interesting to watch.

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
I like how Bob had to apologize about tearing about Fifty Shade of Grey because the director is a woman.

A SJW to the end.

I also like how he's begging people to stop talking about Fifty Shade of Grey. Kind of like how we've been begging him for years to shut the hell up about the Amazing Spiderman movies.

cth

Aug 11, 2009
I actually fully support his opinion on the Amazing Spider-Man movies. They are terrible, and Spider-Man belogs to the Avengers. I'm German and there must be order!

Jarmam

Jan 21, 2015
Frankly I must give the man credit for lasting this long while spewing bile on such a scale. He must have serious negotiation skills and I do not doubt that he'll do perfectly fine from now on.

Delance

Mar 12, 2011
Westonbirt said:
I don't remember who said that social media produces lots of conflict and trash because it provides a straight pipeline from people's brain to the world and therefore ideas and comments are not fermented in such a way that their raw emotional spite content is reduced, resulting in lots of emotionally driven trash. The alternative is also to not post whatever passes through your mind.

I guess when you're in a sacred crusade against whichever enemy you want, and that methods don't matter, only targets, it makes things worse.
Agreed. And it's not only that, but also the problem of the echo-chamber. A certain clique says the same, thinks the same, so you say weirdly bold and exaggerated things that will please a certain crowd, and look awful to everyone else. It's the kind of stupid comment that was usually made kinda drunk, late at night, between close friends, and was not supposed to be made public & widely available in an undeletable format. Social media does that. And it's not pretty.

The "(almost) no bad tactics" is a good example of this.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
CrazyBlaze said:
Gorrath said:
As for the health of The Escapist, I reserve judgement until they fill the creative void. Just because Bob and Jim had some very interesting content they are hardly the only two men capable of creating good works. I'd love to see a guy with Bob's chops come on board if he comes without Bob's worst faults.
The issue is that a lot of content creators are looking to youtube and paetrons to make money now and sites like The Escapist might have a harder time grabbing the more successful ones. To find someone who isn't making it all on their own, can make high quality content and keep a fast past schedule will be hard.

OT: I'm going to miss Moviebob. I always liked his Big Pictures and I often found his movie reviews to be pretty informative (reviews about The Amazing Spiderman, The Expendables etc usually being the exception). It really hit me today when I realized that there will be no more Big Picture on The Escapist. Things are disappearing so fast and with nothing in sight to replace them it is kinda depressing. The next few months will be interesting to watch.
The trick with sites like The Escapist or Channel Awesome is to give a venue for good talent that have not yet found their audience. Talent that needs greater exposure. And to accept going forward that some talent will eventually outgrow the site.

Although there is an inherent problem with the Patreon route that some producers will discover. Patreon is a viable option for content that people actively agree with and gain pleasure from watching. In other words those who's schtick stems in screaming about controversies or going on the attack will slowly find their subscriber base dwindling. Because with Patreon as people disagree with you they stop paying. As opposed to a straight up you tube or web site ad driven model where people will watch regardless of whether they agree, disagree, just want to argue in the comments, whatever. People will watch stuff they do not agree with. People will not pay for it. And each controversy moves a few more into the non paying category. If Bob sticks to just movie reviews and doesn't go after the actual cultures or consumers he may do ok. If he keeps up with his mo.re recent approach? 12 months tops.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much down to Zero Punctuation now. If Yahtzee ever took his stuff off-site (and really, he should, at the moment he's doing The Escapist a bigger favor than they are doing him) I'd never come back here. Critical Miss is fine but I only remember it's there when I came here looking for Jimquisition and MB stuff, and that's all over now.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silverspetz said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silverspetz said:
And he is already freelancing for Badass Digest with articles. Haters, go home, cause Bob's not going anywhere.
Didn't you just say he went to Badass Digest?
Didn't you see my edit? Nice try though.
What did I just try? I don't know what 'scotching' means.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Bob became my favorite reason for visiting the site once Jim left, now...shit. I mean Yahtzee will always be good (dude needs to renegotiate, he's got ALL the power now) but I'm not sure if his once a week game review is enough an excuse to keep showing up. The site has done next to nothing to replace Jim's content and if the same happens with Bob, I'm probably outta here.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
faefrost said:
[ If Bob sticks to just movie reviews and doesn't go after the actual cultures or consumers he may do ok. If he keeps up with his mo.re recent approach? 12 months tops.
Go after the cultures or consumers? What exactly does that mean?

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Well, one of the few reasons I come back here is gone. All that's left is LRR and they have more content in other places and Yahtzee which I watch if I remember.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Right Hook said:
Bob became my favorite reason for visiting the site once Jim left, now...shit. I mean Yahtzee will always be good (dude needs to renegotiate, he's got ALL the power now) but I'm not sure if his once a week game review is enough an excuse to keep showing up. The site has done next to nothing to replace Jim's content and if the same happens with Bob, I'm probably outta here.
Heck I would've been one of those people saying ZP is now my only reason for coming here. Except I don't even do that now. Yahtzee is way to sheltered and frankly too isolated from anything its shameful. He's also a bit of an emotionless lip turned up jerk type of person. Not even in the entertaining way like Jim was and he rarely offers genuine insight into stuff unlike Jim and Bob who always have something interesting to say about games when they put out episodes.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
Wow... let's See, that removes my reason for visiting the Escapist on Tuesdays and Fridays...in addition to the loss of Jimquisition on Mondays ... and never having a reason to check on thursdays.... uhm... WoW I guess Wednesday is the only day I need to visit the Escapist.
Nice try Bob.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
KazeAizen said:
Right Hook said:
Heck I would've been one of those people saying ZP is now my only reason for coming here. Except I don't even do that now. Yahtzee is way to sheltered and frankly too isolated from anything its shameful. He's also a bit of an emotionless lip turned up jerk type of person. Not even in the entertaining way like Jim was and he rarely offers genuine insight into stuff unlike Jim and Bob who always have something interesting to say about games when they put out episodes.
Yes, to everything you just said. I removed The Escapist from my bookmarks, might check in from time to time when I think about it but there are certainly better places on the internet these days.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Right Hook said:
KazeAizen said:
Right Hook said:
Yes, to everything you just said. I removed The Escapist from my bookmarks, might check in from time to time when I think about it but there are certainly better places on the internet these days.
Yep. All the actual insight of this site is gone. Its all going to be numbers, graphics, good/bad, and literally nothing more.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
this site used to be a veritable hotbed of big personalities, with strong opinions. Yahtzee, Jim, Tito, Susan, Steve Butts, Bob, Ross, Schuyler. love them or hate them theres no denying that all these people were a draw for the site. Sorry escapist but i doubt you've got anyone who can fill their shoes.

i do like Justin and Shamus' stuff but in my opinion theres no one left who can compare to the talent you've thrown away in terms of personality, i tried to watch one of the new podcasts, and holy shit was it bland.

i wouldnt be surprised if yahtzee were to leave soon too, for one reason or another. they dont seem very concerned about holding onto these people who are capable of commanding an enthusiastic following