Movies that were BETTER then the Books

bleh002

Jan 8, 2010
I would have to say most movies based off of Stephen King's book/stories. It was always a chore to read his writing, but watching the movie is a little better (in some cases several orders of magnitude).

I stopped reading Stephen King's books when I realized I was forcing myself to read through something I don't enjoy.

But when I watch a movie based off one of his stories, I find myself enjoying it, and often times, I will watch them multiple times.

ORLOFT

Apr 29, 2009
1408 all the way. The short story by Stephen King was okay at best, but the movie was far more scary and interesting.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I'm going to agree with a lot of people here and say The Lord of the Rings. Not that the books were bad, but they weren't quite as good. The books focused too much on immersing you into the world of Middle Earth and the 'big picture' of the plot, while the movies actually spent time on like-able characters (if you hate Legolas in the movies, try reading the book. He is the world's largest wuss, it's ridiculous) and an understandable plot. At least, that's my opinion.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
StarDust has it in spades, while it loses some of the detail that I liked in the book and kind of screwed up Victoria's character.The movie fills it in with some truly great things, such as: Robert Di Niro's and his pirates, and a more climatic battle with Lamia.

nadesico33

It's tragically delicious!
Mar 10, 2010
UncleUlty said:
StarDust has it in spades, while it loses some of the detail that I liked in the book and kind of screwed up Victoria's character.The movie fills it in with some truly great things, such as: Robert Di Niro's and his pirates, and a more climatic battle with Lamia.
I would agree with you, but then I look at that ending. The original book and graphic novel were written in the style that was a combination of Gaiman's own prose and pre-Tolkien fantasy and fairy tales, most of which don't exactly end happily. And the book had an ending that, while good, could best be described as bittersweet. The movie just ended with the old, cliched, "And they lived happily ever after...". Yarg.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
nadesico33 said:
UncleUlty said:
I would agree with you, but then I look at that ending. The original book and graphic novel were written in the style that was a combination of Gaiman's own prose and pre-Tolkien fantasy and fairy tales, most of which don't exactly end happily. And the book had an ending that, while good, could best be described as bittersweet. The movie just ended with the old, cliched, "And they lived happily ever after...". Yarg.
I have to agree with you that the book's ending was much better, I mean I see why they changed it, but I really wish they hadn't.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
sunburst313 said:
A few I don't think have been mentioned are Psycho, The Wizard of Oz and The Bourne Identity. I found those films are much more enjoyable than the books.
The Bourne Identity was a pretty good book. It was weird having all three movies packed into one book, even without all the changes made for the movies. The Bourne Supremacy was painful though.

And I agree about LotR too. I actually put down Return of the King for at least a year because I couldn't get into it.

Edit:
PurpleGoatMan said:
Contrast: Better books
- Eragon
- Northern Lights (what was with the changing it to Golden compass too :/ )
It's called The Golden Compass in North America.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
If comic books count, possibly Kick-Ass, from what I know of the comic. While I enjoy a good deconstruction, I preferred the crazy awesomeness [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrazyAwesome] of the film, including the jetpack.

eelel

May 29, 2009
The thing about movies made from books is that depending on the length of the book you have to cut out alot of the details. Take the 4th Harry Potter movie. They got all of the key points and did them well but they left out alot of what made the book fun for me. The thing I miss the most is the house elves..

[Insert Name Here]

Nov 26, 2009
Lord of the Rings, Tolkien spent too much time trying to create this vibrant world and forgot about the characters and the story.
The Bourne Identity, you know, minus the shaky-cam. The book didn't age all that well.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Apocalypse Now. It takes everything really good about Heart of Darkness, ditches (mostly) Conrad's rather disturbing views on racial purity, and places it in an entirely new context, delivering it's message with both literary and film techniques. But best of all, it's different enough to Heart of Darkness that some lazy shit told to read the book for his English class can't just watch the film and claim to know the story. That's what really irritates me about people who claim that x movie is better than the book: it's usually just a case of having a poor attention span.

Except in the case of LOTR, because as much as I love Tolkien I completely sympathise with anyone who doesn't want to sit through a thousand pages of endless homoerotic bonding between Sam and Frodo.