Movies that you are told are bad, that you consider good.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I'm sure we've all had that time when a friend said "You wanna go see THAT movie? Save yourself the money and time and go watch something else. Hell, I'd rather listen to Rebecca Black for an hour than watch that shit again", yet when you actually see the movie, you like it. Hell, you may even love it.

I recently had that happen with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. A friend of mine that likes pretty much every movie that I like told me that it was boring, drawn out, had bad characters, and was a waste of money and time. Since I had seen many good reviews for it and my own city paper that gives every good movie I have ever seen, a bad review, gave it a 4/5, I figured "what the hey, I'll go check it out. Its got Daniel Craig, so it can't be absolute shit".
Oh, by the way, don't ever assume "this movie has X actor! It MUST be good!". It is a very bad method of deciding what to watch =|

Needless to say, I loved The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo! It was the opposite of everything my friend had said about it, which makes me question if he actually watched the movie at all. He must have either been drunk or with his attention whoring girlfriend...

So fellow Escapists, what movies have you seen that you found great, that other people (who know you well and share your tastes) consider absolute garbage? This can also apply to games, but I'd rather it didn't. Threads like that are too common as it is...

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
Transformers 1-3
Tekken Blood Vengeance

those are the only ones I can think of

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can't remember the last time I seen a good film in my view despite what my mate say. I do however had a opposite experiences to this.
When Indiana Jones was out my mate had seen it and was praising it. I went to watch it with my bro and needless to say we hated it (Alien??!!). My mate was puzzles when I gave him a piece of my mind about that film.
These days his taste in film is different to my since he like the Hangover part 2 and want to see that upcoming Three Stooges film.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
The one that comes to mind immediately is Waterworld. Seems like damn near everyone hated that movie but I enjoyed it. Not sure why but I did. People still give me grief over it however, I don't really care.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I really enjoyed the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey Jr. After asking friends and relatives about the second film, the general consensus I got was that it's a rental at best. I decided to take a chance and watch it in theaters anyway. I'm glad I did, as I thought it was a great movie (though I must admit I like the first one slightly better).

Jan 27, 2011
The first tomb Raider movie.

It was fun to watch! And they got laura Croft pretty well too. And yet everyone brings it up as an argument for "why videogame movies can never ever ever work!". >_>

Now, the SECOND one....*vomit* I hated the second one.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Avatar. Screw you! I like that movie, and I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I also can't wait to see the sequels. I also happened to like the last Indiana Jones. Everyone bitched that it had aliens in it. So what? Is that too far, but all the other crap (holy grail, ect) is just fine? I didn't like the side kick asshole, but I didn't like any of the other characters in Temple of Doom either.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Sucker Punch, Catwoman, and Silent Hill.

I didn't see the Last Airbender movie, I'm sure the movie itself was ok, I just disliked the fact that a show that was intended to feature minorities in ALL of the major roles had those roles handed off to white people. It showed a massive amount of disrespect to the creators of Last Airbender and the message they were trying to send. Basically I knew I wouldn't enjoy it knowing that so I didn't waste my time, I can just rewatch the much-better first season anyway.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Hudson Hawk
$65 million to make
$17 million taken at the box office

makes me laugh everytime!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Cloverfield ( love this movie. Everyone seems to miss the point of it)
Tron Legacy (again, people either love it or hate it, and rare is the person who really gets the point of the plot)
Transformers 1 & 3 (the second one was a train wreck...)
Clash Of The Titans (not great, but not bad)
Indiana Jones 4 (fridge and Tarzan sword fighting aside)

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I'll make a list here:

No wait... down here:

Super Mario Brothers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the live-action one from the 90s)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... um... 2
Hook
Waterworld

Wow... I seem to be all about the 90s here. Just a few things though: I liked Hudson Hawk but no one told me it was supposed to be bad. I didn't not enjoy Suckerpunch but I still can't decide if I ultimately liked it, is that weird?

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Usually it's the other way around, I could write a book with the list of bad movies people think are good.

The movies alot of my friends disliked that I really enjoyed were Dead Or Alive, Ringo, and Arthur Christmas.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Starship Troopers and the first Mortal Kombat movie come to mind. I think Starship Troopers is a genuinely good action movie, but it seems that people either like it, or they really don't, nothing in between. And Mortal Kombat is just silly fun.

Then there's Cannibal Holocaust, which I'm not sure I'd call a great movie, but I still like it a lot. I do understand why many people don't, but I think it's a very effective film and does what's trying to do well. Except maybe for the last line that's said just before the credits. That was a bit stupid. And to be honest, the animal cruelty is probably a bit too much.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered one more: Caligula. Loads of gratuitous sex and violence, especially sex, and Caligula himself is played by Malcom McDowell. Now tell me that's not awesome.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Pebkio said:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the live-action one from the 90s)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... um... 2
You're not alone. Those movies were great.

Well, at least they seemed great at the time.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Kung Pow: Enter the fist (by metacritic, 14% critics score)

Street Fighter The Movie

You know street fighter the movie was written by the same person who wrote Die Hard. And in a gloriously cheesy way, it shows and it works! Kung Pow also I can see how people can write it off as being ridiculous, but I love it for it's perfect timing of such absurd humour.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Lately it's Avatar (the one with blue aliens). I went to see it in the cinema (not in 3D mind) and we LOVED it. A friend of mine started to watch it with her husband on their 20" computer screen and turned it off when they started talking about Unobtanium. She thinks I'm crazy.

There ARE some very silly bits in it - like the bit where the military Bad Guy takes a big breath and then kicks the door open to the toxic atmosphere to start blasting - but the feeling it left me with was 100% positive. So there.