Movies that you are told are bad, that you consider good.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Chronicles of Riddick (the director's cut of course, the theatrical release was quite shit). Sure, much of the cinematography made some parts hard to watch. Sure, the special effects were pretty shoddy. Sure the writing isn't brilliant or even good. But it's fun to watch every now and again.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
From last year, Suckerpunch and Green Lantern... I thought both were pretty decent

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
Llil said:
Starship Troopers and the first Mortal Kombat movie come to mind. I think Starship Troopers is a genuinely good action movie, but it seems that people either like it, or they really don't, nothing in between.
Agreed with Starship, I found it to be a lot better if you don't watch it as an action film but as a political statement, as it parodies and mocks facism in such a brilliant way.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Burn2Feel said:
Llil said:
Starship Troopers and the first Mortal Kombat movie come to mind. I think Starship Troopers is a genuinely good action movie, but it seems that people either like it, or they really don't, nothing in between.
Agreed with Starship, I found it to be a lot better if you don't watch it as an action film but as a political statement, as it parodies and mocks facism in such a brilliant way.
I did actually mean to type "satirical action movie", but it sounded too fancy in my head so I just went with "action movie". But yeah, I agree the satire part does work really well. And so does the action.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Chrystal Skull. I liked it. I mean, c'mon! It's definitely better than Temple of Doom. That movie blowed.

Feb 28, 2008
F said:
From last year, Suckerpunch and Green Lantern... I thought both were pretty decent
Ironically those two are the last two films I've watched...

I thought Dead or Alive, as ridiculous as it was, was very entertaining and actually a reasonably good adaptation of the game series.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I agree with leyke about Cloverfield. I was working in a cinema when this was released and I got the impression that people hated it because it wasn't a conventional monster film. They wanted normal scene cuts and clear good guys and bad guys. Basically something like the Matthew Broderick version of Godzilla.
I thought it was a nice original take on something which had been done a thousand times before.

Zodiac by David Fincher
Again, I was working in the cinema at the time and the amount of people who were seriously pissed off upon leaving was amazing. The major complaints was about the ending.

IT'S A TRUE STORY! Reality isn't always wrapped up nicely like in a movie.
I also enjoyed the slow pace of the film, but I can understand how some people may be bored by this. But for people who need explosions every 5 minutes we have Michael Bay films.
I will watch my slow burning murder mystery and other people can watch Michael Bay. Everybody is happy.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Indiana Jones and the crystal skull they made something good out of something not so good.

Inception, I saw nothing wrong with this movie apart from the actors, I think there could have been better actors for the parts.

Transformers 1 and 3 were good.

Source Code

lots of others but I can't think of them right now

the dark knight. EVERYONE...hated....no I just can't be sarcastic about that....

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I have a ton of those:

Spiderman 3
Indiana Jones 4
Halloween 3 (a lot of sequels here :)
Battlefield Earth
Resident Evil series (2 was meh but overall, a very entertaining series)
Die Hard 4.0
Mortal Kombat (if there was gore in it, it would have been a cult classic)
Titanic (I understood the hate for it when it came out but now, it's just silly, face it - it's good and there's nothing you can do about it)
Matrix Reloaded (Revolutions was a step down indeed but this one - AWESOME)
The Shadow (one of the better comic book movies)

Just to name a few.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
yogibbear said:
Suckerpunch.

All the reviews said it was crap. I think I was the only person in the audience that seemed to take away a waaaaaaay deeper meaning. I think everyone was too distracted by all the action and scantily clad girls to realise there was an awesome story right there in front of them.
Yay +1 for Sucker Punch. That's pretty much my same opinion, I saw it in IMAX with my dad and we both thought it was awesome. I'd been waiting for it since I saw it announced at comic con and...it actually surpassed my expectations :D And I agree, I think a lot of people just went in expecting a movie about girls and guns (to be fair though, trailer sort of gives that impression).

Treblaine said:
Kung Pow: Enter the fist (by metacritic, 14% critics score)

Kung Pow also I can see how people can write it off as being ridiculous, but I love it for it's perfect timing of such absurd humour.
YES! YES! That movie is the funniest shit right there, I love it too, it's extremely underrated :D Evil Betty hya hya

I also consider Avatar to be good. The story is pretty generic, but I think it's still a good movie.
Quite a few people seem to dislike The Book of Eli too, which genuinely surprised me since I thought everybody would be all over the whole Fallout 3 setting.

Other worthy mentions:
Star Wars Prequels
Matrix Reloaded + Revolution (they weren't nearly as good as the original but I thought they were still good)
Starship Troopers
Tron Legacy
The Thing (the new prequel)
Shaolin Soccer

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Suckerpunch and Mallrats are my two main ones.

Suckerpunch got negative reviews by a lot of people. There were some good reviews of it, but for the most part people were saying it sucked. I really liked the movie though and I think that the main reason people didn't like it is because it wasn't the movie they were expecting. I think they thought it was going to pretty much be a "tits 'n' ass" action flick, but instead they got a movie with real characters and plot.

As for Mallrats, I will admit that it is nowhere near Kevin Smith's best movie, but I like it for what it is. Smith had made only one other movie before Mallrats which is Clerks, so many movie-goers were probably expecting some of that same genius dialogue, but instead Mallrats is filled with relatively stupid humor and some dick and fart jokes and I like it for that.

ThePerfectionist

Apr 5, 2010
In an attempt to add a movie to the pile that hasn't been said already:

Ultraviolet
Aeon Flux

In keeping with those above me:

Sucker Punch
Mortal Kombat (okay, I truly know it's awful, but I love MK too much to care)
Matrix Reloaded (the architect scene is the highlight of the whole fucking series)
Tron Legacy
Green Lantern (I wouldn't actually say I liked it, but it certainly didn't suck as bad as I expected it to)

There's probably a long list of more.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Starship Troopers. Sure it's not faithful to the book. Sure Dizzy has a sex-change for the sake of a love plot. Yeah there's no Power Armour. But it's still a fun action B movie. It's the sort of film I'd want to watch with my friends on a Saturday night when you've got nothing better to do.

Cloverfield. The main reason I like it is because of it's pesperctive. Someone could easily make a military sci-fi film from the perspective of the soldiers, I'd watch that :p, but the civilian aspect of it makes it much more interesting.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
Treblaine said:

Street Fighter The Movie

You know street fighter the movie was written by the same person who wrote Die Hard. And in a gloriously cheesy way, it shows and it works! Kung Pow also I can see how people can write it off as being ridiculous, but I love it for it's perfect timing of such absurd humour.
I'm with you on Kung Pow, that movie is genius. It's probably my most watched movie, and everyone else I've showed it to love it too.
But for me, I'm going to have to say the Creepshow movies. A lot of people say that their dumb, but if the people who made that movie had tried to make something that was truly frightening, it would've been. The whole atmosphere of the movies and their vintage feel is absolutely perfect.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
Treblaine said:

Street Fighter The Movie

You know street fighter the movie was written by the same person who wrote Die Hard. And in a gloriously cheesy way, it shows and it works! Kung Pow also I can see how people can write it off as being ridiculous, but I love it for it's perfect timing of such absurd humour.
I'm with you on Kung Pow, that movie is genius. It's probably my most watched movie, and everyone else I've showed it to love it too.
But for me, I'm going to have to say the Creepshow movies. A lot of people say that they're dumb, but if the people who made that movie had tried to make something that was truly frightening, it would've been. The whole atmosphere of the movies and their vintage feel is absolutely perfect.

piplink

Mar 11, 2011
the star war sequels.

everyone hated them, but i loved them when they came out. that reminds me to rewatch the star wars movies again.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Chrysalis is the only one I can think of at the top of my head. Maybe also Johnny Mnemonic, if you take reviews into consideration.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
Expendables
Every movie in which Jason Statham plays a full non-stop action role
Green Lantern