Movies you love but everyone hates

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
Dirzzit said:
lobster1077 said:
I enjoyed Watchmen quite a bit, it has its limitations like some terrible casting and sloppy pacing but its still enjoyable. Of course the comic is in a different league altogether.
I thought everyone loved that, (figuratively)
Watchmen is a pretty divisive film. Non-fans didn't like it, and fans were pretty mixed on it (from some hailing it as brilliant to others saying it's a dumb down version of the brilliant graphic novel).

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I fucking loved Hulk, the one directed by Ang Lee. I thought it was really interesting and it really delved deeper into Bruce Banner's origins and relationship with his family, which I found really good. It wasn't just a "Here's a guy, now here's a thingy. Oh Noes! He's now a giant ape!" sort of backstory, like Spider-Man's origin was.
Also, the action scenes there were, fucking rocked tits.

*Flame Shield activated*

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I like the Mortal Kombat movies. The first was is awesome and the 2nd one has its moments. The acting in #2 is poo, but it at least has some decent fights.

Anything Mel Brooks = AWESOME BEYOND WORDS!! Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, Dracula: Dead and Loving It, etc.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
For me...it has to be Batman and Robin. It's a prime example of everything not to do in a comic book movie, and I love it just for that.

Jerious1154

Aug 18, 2008
I thing Napoleon Dynamite is one of the funniest movies ever made which is certainly an opinion not commonly held on the Escapist, and I also believe that the vast majority of the people who watch it don't get it, regardless of whether they love it or hate it.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Brisky said:
The Wicker Man (remake). I don't care what movie it is, I never get tired of watching Nicholas Cage.
lol..

NOT THE BEEEEEEES!!!

Hot Madness

May 20, 2009
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: It's at least as good, if not better than Temple of Doom as for the fridge thing; look if you can buy people in Temple of Doom surviving dropping out of a plane on a live raft, and surviving the wrath of God in Raiders by not looking at it, what's the big deal about nuke fridge? Seriously.

Any Godzilla movie, even the ultra cheezy '70's ones with Hedorah, Gigan, and Megalon. (minus the '98 American... thing...) C'mon! How do you not love Godzilla?

The 2005 King Kong: Everyone I know complained about its length, story, being overwrought... But I loved all of it. I am such a fan of the 1933 version, I was apprehensive about the Peter Jackson adaptation, but I love it. 3-way T-Rex fight FTW!

dertyqwerty

Jul 1, 2011
AnthonTheSkabot said:
Repo! The Genetic Opera, though Amber, Luigi and Pavi were terrible, the rest of the film was pretty good.
That is a badass movie!

But me, I'm a sucker for Snakes on a Plane. Haha.

JDB15

Jun 12, 2011
Star Wars Prequels (less with Episode one and more with Episode 3; mainly since I was a child at the time of Episode one and watched it with much whimsical as the people whom watched the original trilogy when they were kids)

Doom (one of the better video game movies)

the Godzilla movies I've seen so far; (don't know if that counts, but people I know seem to dismiss them) (besides the 1998 American remake and the American "B-Movie" version of the original Japanese masterpiece)

Hulk (it's not one of the best comic book movies I've seen, but I liked it)

Spider man 3

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
bluepotatosack said:
LaughingJester said:
bluepotatosack said:
Maybe Tank Girl?
Awesome movie!
I really do love that movie. I don't think it really qualifies as a good movie all things considered, but yeah, love.

Although I would say all the roles were pretty much perfectly cast.
I believe it qualifies, it was all for good fun and that's exactly what I got. If this isn't a good movie then hardly any movies released in the last 5 years I could call good either.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Maybe Starship Troopers.
vxicepickxv said:
eddierigs said:
Spaceballs. No one I know can take a joke from it. That or Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Everybody you know hates Spaceballs. Wow, I'd get some new friends if I were you. Also, make sure your assholes keep firing.
Use the schwartz!

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
I thought year one was a really funny movie. But apparently Im the only one. I accepted it for what it was and pissed myself laughing at it

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Avatar. No one I know except a friend of mine loved Avatar. Two other friends of mine got stuck on the unobtainium and thus didn't make it past the first ten minutes.

So the writing is shit. It's a beautiful movie with some (IMO) genuinely moving parts. Of course any bit with Colonel Quaritch in it made me giggle - was I supposed to take that character seriously? =P

Joel Dawson

Jun 26, 2011
Pirates of the Caribbean sequels (except On Stranger Tides): I actually liked their plots and thought they gave Johnny plenty of moments to act crazy as Jack Sparrow.

Sucker Punch: I actually liked the action scenes in the film and found the plot to be actually interesting and engaging.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I wouldn't say I "love" it by any means, but I certainly do recognize A Serbian Film as a pretty good bit of cinema. It's pretty sick stuff, (and by "pretty sick," I mean "do I even have a soul at this point?") but if you can get past it, you can see just how well-done it is. A lot of people aren't capable of getting past it. Or even attempting to watch the film.

Other than that, I can't really think of any movies I like that is widely frowned upon.

I almost want to say I like Manos: The Hands of Fate, even in the so-bad-it's-good way... but I just... can't.
sharpshooter188 said:
Fight club and matrix movies haha.
People hate Fight Club? WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY.