MS Confirms Online Connection, Game Borrowing and Used Game Details

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
Gone Rampant said:
I thought EA was bad... this is getting insane.
I think EA's handeling of the situation is quite amusing. They recently said "Hey fans! We listened to feedback, so no more online passes!" Of course, we now know that every XBone game comes with DRM that's even worse.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
vallorn said:
Mostly you just have to point out to people the following:

Jake: "Hey bob you know those 360 games you own?"
Bob: "Uh. yeah?"
Jake: "Well if you buy them on the Xbox One you don't actually own them. You cant sell them, trade them with friends or put them on Ebay without Microsoft saying so. Oh and it tracks whether you have or not by making you sign in once a day even if their servers go down or your internet connection goes out."
Bob: "THEFUCK!"

God forbid Mr and Mrs Doe buying an X1 for little Timmy only to find that. Oh. Microsoft servers are down because of reasons. THAT would cause a few headlines in the 24 hour press.
Believe me, I would love to inform every potential buyer of this nonsense, but try as you might, it can't be done. My money's on a post-release uproar from shocked buyers, with the potential added wrinkle of M$ taking initial high sales figures as official validation for the Xbone's array of bullshit features. Your 'littly Timmy' scenario is going to happen - a lot.

On a totally unrelated note, I feel I must congratulate you on your avatar. Chibi Alpha is boss. :D

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
I think if enough people simply stuck informative flyers around Xbone promotional material - EB Games, JB Hi-Fi, Target and Big W for example (Aussie here) - then enough people would get the message to start the pendulum swinging backwards.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
You know, when I think about all of the work engineers must have put into the Xbox One, I do feel a bit sad seeing it only result in hatred and negative press.

Otherwise, I DEFINITELY know I'm not getting an Xbone. Screw MS for making anti-consumer devices.

Hannes Martinsson

Dec 23, 2011
I think this might even be illegal by EU standards. According to me the best case scenario the XBone would become illegal to sell here. Of course I really want to see this f*ck*r crash and burn so hard.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Hannes Martinsson said:
I think this might even be illegal by EU standards. According to me the best case scenario the XBone would become illegal to sell here. Of course I really want to see this f*ck*r crash and burn so hard.
Almost everyone does except for people being paid to "reputation manage" and those who seem to want to spite the world (or are living under a rock). It seems Microsoft found the "consumers get political" button.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Notice how a many of those "features" are based on if the publisher allows their customers to use them.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I have a horrible feeling that despite it being godawful the Xbone is gonna sell like hotcakes and everyone else is gonna do what it's doing because they think they can copy it's profits by copying it's borderline illegal practices.

Hannes Martinsson

Dec 23, 2011
I'm trying to go larger picture on this and figure out MS game plans. Because I don't think MS would implement something like this without a game plan on how to still beat Sony. There is three ways that I can figure MS doing this.

1. They think Sony is doing something similar with used games (I can't figure out what that would be since the PS4 don't require Internet). This means that either Sony is holding something back or someone pulled a fast one on MS.

2. Many of the big publishers are willing to go MS exclusive for starting to get a piece of the used games pie. I do think that is this was the case then some of those Publishers went "Holy SH*T!" with how people have reacted to this and they may try to back out of this PR nightmare.

3. Undercutting Sony's prices. This might work initially but I am thinking that there may be a major backlash on relying on this because this also relies on Joe Average just buying what is cheapest for his kid, and it just takes a few upset parents about either a camera always being on in their kids room or that they bought it and they did not notice that it required internet. Pissed of parents don't go to gamesites to complain they go to mainstream media and if this catches fire in the mainstream media then MS is effin toast.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Well I don't mind Microsoft making all these stupid decisions with their next console, however, I am worried about people shrugging this entire thing off and stating that they are going to buy this piece of shit either way.
It is a sad day when consumers reply to their freedoms being taken away with the words; "Oh, that is not so bad.".
Shortsighted spineless meat-sacks...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
So what they said about used games needing a payed unlock equal to the price of the game bought new is poppycock?

I suppose that's something, but there's still a lot of crap left. I know I won't be getting an Xbox One any time in the future.
alphamalet said:
My favorite part of Microsoft's epitaph so far is this:

"Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you?re not playing."

Ummmmm What!?

"...every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection..."
Oh no, what they're saying is true as it's a self-fulfilling prophesy. They pretty much require the Xbone to work with a broadband connection. Therefore, every Xbone owner will have a broadband connection.

Retarded isn't it?

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Hannes Martinsson said:
I'm trying to go larger picture on this and figure out MS game plans. Because I don't think MS would implement something like this without a game plan on how to still beat Sony. There is three ways that I can figure MS doing this.

1. They think Sony is doing something similar with used games (I can't figure out what that would be since the PS4 don't require Internet). This means that either Sony is holding something back or someone pulled a fast one on MS.

2. Many of the big publishers are willing to go MS exclusive for starting to get a piece of the used games pie. I do think that is this was the case then some of those Publishers went "Holy SH*T!" with how people have reacted to this and they may try to back out of this PR nightmare.

3. Undercutting Sony's prices. This might work initially but I am thinking that there may be a major backlash on relying on this because this also relies on Joe Average just buying what is cheapest for his kid, and it just takes a few upset parents about either a camera always being on in their kids room or that they bought it and they did not notice that it required internet. Pissed of parents don't go to gamesites to complain they go to mainstream media and if this catches fire in the mainstream media then MS is effin toast.
I thought along these lines too. All I could come up with is that they are targeting the sports crowd and dude-bros playing CoD. I bet you this whole thing was based around focus groups that didn't include women, non-xbox gamers and non-casual gamers. Because that's the only way I can see someone looking at this and thinking it's a good idea.

I've just been imagining walking into the PR section of Microsoft and finding this...
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100528185219/bleach/en/images/0/08/C168_Cover_Page.jpg

Giyguy

May 3, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
Used games are allowed.. as long as the publisher allows it:
so there won't ANY used games. you know how publishers are. You know EA isn't gonna let used games happen for them.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
Edit:

Also confirm game borrinwg policy:
"Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once."

So yes you can borrow a game to a friend, but each game can only be borrowed once, and only if the person has been on your Friends list for 30 days.
No, you can't lend a game to someone and get it back. You can give it to them and never be able to play it again with your profile because it's only possible once per game and this is ONLY if the publisher grants permission to do so.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
So it seems MS has confirmed that the One will need to connect online at least once every 24 hours to play either Online or Offline.
Do you remember when PSN got hacked and it was down for a month? Well if this happens to xbone, does that mean your console is a brick because it cant do the 24 hour check in with MS?

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
You know I was willing to forgive actually no I wasn't every single thing about this console is awful it's not a significant tech upgrade like I was hoping, the kinnect is bundled and it has to be on and connected for the damned console to work, it requires you to check in like your a prisoner on parole, and it won't let you let a friend who may not be able to afford a game borrow it, oh no it will but only once and only if their on your friends list, well maybe I'll just not buy your stupid thing, I can't even call it a console anymore because I'm pretty sure that was an after thought once they were done trying to make it as unappealing or insulting to as many people as possible.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
The difference with games from Steam or Origin is that they can be 'fixed' to remove the need for the distribution service to be running. You can remove the internet requirement and not risk a ban.

Save the 'fix' on your hard drive for when you need to game offline and you're golden. Your connection comes back and you remove the 'fix' to play online.

You'll have no such flexibility with the Xbox One.

It really seems that the consoles are taking on all the negative aspects of the PC but without adding in the positives to compensate.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Gearhead mk2 said:
I have a horrible feeling that despite it being godawful the Xbone is gonna sell like hotcakes and everyone else is gonna do what it's doing because they think they can copy it's profits by copying it's borderline illegal practices.
Yeah, the problem isn't the people who are aware of what they are losing, it's the people living in the moment who don't actually care that their freedoms are being taken away and want to see peoples reactions to them doing things for laughs. This especially rings true in and around college and university campuses. The best thing we can hope for is that there's enough people who are going to do the right thing and hopefully get the Xbox One to flop.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
The_Scrivener said:
Anyone want to organize a giant celebration of Microsoft's incompetence? We could all go to Best Buys on the release date and make signs and dance about how we aren't buying it. We can make popsicle stick masks of Microsoft high-ups! We might make the local news!
These policies are so anti-consumerist, it's screwing EVERYONE, including the retailers. The employees are just as likely to be right there on the picket line with you!

Never have I seen such flagrant disregard for a fanbase...maybe certain politicians with no respect for their constituency.

If you aren't upset by these policies, I applaud your optimism, but the policies are in place to screw us over. We are sacrificing legacy gameplay once the system is obsolete, inviting invasive DRM, and allowing companies to retain ownership of our products. We are also allowing ourselves no recourse against poor DLC practices.

Here's another good one...what happens if your account gets hacked? Furthermore, there is no shortage of Windows owners who've been delicensed due to that crappy "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification." Through no fault of your own, you could lose ALL your games.

And since you HAVE to verify online, you can't play games offline if your account gets banned for stupid reasons. This means that library you've spent years building up? Gone...

Think this can't happen? Ask an iPod user who's transferred their content once too many if they didn't have to pay a "licensing fee" to retain their content.

What do we do when we have to replace a broken XBONE? Remember, I can't put my gamertag on another console except as an "extended" license, not the primary. Do I have to delicense my old system serial number? What if that system is fried? I mean, it's not like XBOX 360s ever had to be replaced...right?

Oh yeah, and remember when Sony got hacked? Remember when PSN was down for weeks and weeks? ALL XBONErs ALL across the world could potentially be locked out of their games for interminable times.