MS Confirms Online Connection, Game Borrowing and Used Game Details

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I would love to believe that there is an invisible hand that forces companies to make stupid decisions to keep the balance of power between the consoles.

When the PS3 came out and was clearly the better console (HARDWARE WISE), some shadowy figure told Sony they had to sell it for 600 dollars, making the Xbox 360 the breakout console and getting more money out of the gate. Now the same figure is going to Microsoft to make them load down the Xbox 1 with a bunch of garbage so the PS4 can come out and get the initial big money. (Sony will probably add stupid stuff too and ruin this fantasy of mine)

I just hope that when I finally decide I want to buy a console to play all the exclusive games I have missed since 2005 (Ratchet and Clank and God of War only), I will be able to buy a PS3 cheap like I can buy a PS2 cheap now. Something tells me the next step of console devs is to control pricing of their previous, more independent systems.

Maybe Nvidia will ruin everything and make a high quality GFX card for like 100 bucks and make Microsoft and Sony suffer.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
alphamalet said:
My favorite part of Microsoft's epitaph so far is this:

"Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you?re not playing."
What this really means is that if you don't have a broadband connection don't bother buying Xbox One.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Sonicron said:
vallorn said:
Mostly you just have to point out to people the following:

Jake: "Hey bob you know those 360 games you own?"
Bob: "Uh. yeah?"
Jake: "Well if you buy them on the Xbox One you don't actually own them. You cant sell them, trade them with friends or put them on Ebay without Microsoft saying so. Oh and it tracks whether you have or not by making you sign in once a day even if their servers go down or your internet connection goes out."
Bob: "THEFUCK!"

God forbid Mr and Mrs Doe buying an X1 for little Timmy only to find that. Oh. Microsoft servers are down because of reasons. THAT would cause a few headlines in the 24 hour press.
Believe me, I would love to inform every potential buyer of this nonsense, but try as you might, it can't be done. My money's on a post-release uproar from shocked buyers, with the potential added wrinkle of M$ taking initial high sales figures as official validation for the Xbone's array of bullshit features. Your 'littly Timmy' scenario is going to happen - a lot.

On a totally unrelated note, I feel I must congratulate you on your avatar. Chibi Alpha is boss. :D
The more we can spread the news by word of mouth the better. Tell friends and coworkers you know play games so they know that this console is a piece of shit they should avoid.

Also thank you! I would have preferred a Chibi Thousand Son but I couldn't find one :p

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
The last time I connected my Xbox 360 to the internet was when I downloaded Banjo-Tooie, which is probably about two or three months ago now.

I have no wireless to speak of, and use a single Ethernet cable that I switch between what I want connected at any given time. If I have my PS3 or Xbox connected to download something, it means I can't access the internet on my PC. And I prefer the convenience of the PC, because it's easier to browse, post, or watch things. So Microsoft lost at least one sale adopting these practices. I'm not going to support a console manufacturer that decides you'll be locked out of playing games if you don't connect your console every 24 hours.
Same here. Like, word for word. Creepy

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
I cant wait to see all the sheep shun Microshit for their crappy business practices and come over to PS4. Better exclusives, and its actually a GAMING console. *gasp*

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
The_Scrivener said:
Anyone want to organize a giant celebration of Microsoft's incompetence? We could all go to Best Buys on the release date and make signs and dance about how we aren't buying it. We can make popsicle stick masks of Microsoft high-ups! We might make the local news!
I wouldn't call it incompetence. I would call it greed. Think of it this way, a guy like Bill Gates is practically retired, has loads of bucks and feels like donating to charities. Well why not start charity with your customers by not overcharging them for bullshit consoles that work against the customer's desires? why should you have fun, when you could pay through your nose to have fun. What ever happened to you get what you pay for? Now it's more like, you get what you pay for if you pay for some more by paying to pay what you have to pay to us to play by paying and then playing after you paid us, did we mention pay? yup.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Jeah.. the last console i bought was a SNES, and i doubt the future generation is going to change that.

I just gonna continue to abuse the privilege of the glorious PC-Master-Race while the console peasants burn for my amusment.
Also while mentioning SNES i've to replay Rock n' Roll Racing one again.. for the umpthiest-time

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
Genocidicles said:
Well fuck you too Microsoft.

This means I won't be able to whip out my xbone (huehue) in ten years and play all the classics like I regularly do with my old consoles because Microsoft's crappy online service has been taken down so they can focus on the one for xbox two or whatever.

And seeing as they cant be bothered with backwards compatibility any more I guess any games bought for the xbone will be worthless too when they shut off the servers.

I hope this console crashes and burns, and if Sony does the same then I hope the PS4 tanks too. This is a fucking disgrace.
sony's already said they never considered banning or restricting used games.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
I'm astounded by the greed based stupidity on display from MS here.

Guess what Microsoft..I don't want to always be connected to the internet to play a fucking game,ok?

Sonny would have to have a similar death wish to follow suit.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Eldritch Warlord said:
Also, there's a few items of interest from the source article that seem to have completely avoided discussion here that I'd like to point out to everyone:

Microsoft said:
Access your entire games library from any Xbox One, no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend?s house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend?s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
No discs.

So they believe this feature is worth the restrictive connectivity requirements?

Given Steam offers games for such lower prices, we are led to assume that the X-Box will have lower prices than the Playstation 4.

Cobalt180

Jun 15, 2010
h4xor555 said:
I cant believe the game lending policy either.

What is up with that? What if I want to share games with many and many of my friends? And what if they have not been on my friends list for more than 30 days? What then.

God damn, I'm still going to get one. These publishers can do literally anything to us.

Only if you let them, that is exactly the attitude that's going to think they CAN get away with that, I'd say save your money! No exclusive is worth the price of this console, it's not worth the vague promises that are subject to change halfway through the console's life. Many people's reactions are still very much the same as the launch, that the xbox is now doing everything it can to alienate a gamer audience, and, even example can show you that some of the xbox's large titles won't remain exclusive for long if the xbox tanks in sales.

I would say that if you want a better console, then say that you want a better console by not buying this one. I've been a avid 360 gamer for a loooong time, and I've let Microsoft get away with quite a bit, from red-ringing in the 360's early years to the realization that I've paid $60 a year for features I barely use as part of the xbox gold subscription, if you want to get the most for your money, the smarter thing (in my opinion) is to wait, because two weeks in to what may be a fascinating spectacle akin to a slow motion replay of a train wreck, Microsoft with be back-pedaling, side-pedaling, up-pedaling, diagonal-pedaling, trying to find out why gamers won't buy a console that seems to have so many restriction that benefit not the owners and the subscription payers, but the publishers who, as we've seen with EA, are gunning more towards having you pay tribute to them every once in a while to play their game.

Long Story Short: Save your money until the console is re-worked, if it's not, then go for it, but, be smart about that investment.

Cobalt180

Jun 15, 2010
"Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

So Microsoft has essentially virtualized going over to your friend's house to play games with them, only that now you have to pay a toll to do it? I'm sorry, but, when I go to a friends house and we play games, that is something that you, nor publishers, are allowed to infringe upon, and doing so violates the Right of First Sale, and if those publishers and companies are so greedy that they want to make me pay for that, then they won't get my First Sale in the first place.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend's house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

My 'Shared Game Library' are the rather pathetic line of discs sitting next to my xbox. While no one else plays those games but me, I still take issue that even members of your OWN FAMILY have to basically prostrate themselves before the xbox to play games, and even then, I have to have a Shared Game Library for this? No, you're overcomplicating a simple process that, while I admire you want to get involved in to help, but you're doing it wrong, and that, as will almost all other things on this list, are only going to shoot yourself in the foot.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
AT God said:
I would love to believe that there is an invisible hand that forces companies to make stupid decisions to keep the balance of power between the consoles.

When the PS3 came out and was clearly the better console (HARDWARE WISE), some shadowy figure told Sony they had to sell it for 600 dollars, making the Xbox 360 the breakout console and getting more money out of the gate. Now the same figure is going to Microsoft to make them load down the Xbox 1 with a bunch of garbage so the PS4 can come out and get the initial big money. (Sony will probably add stupid stuff too and ruin this fantasy of mine)

I just hope that when I finally decide I want to buy a console to play all the exclusive games I have missed since 2005 (Ratchet and Clank and God of War only), I will be able to buy a PS3 cheap like I can buy a PS2 cheap now. Something tells me the next step of console devs is to control pricing of their previous, more independent systems.

Maybe Nvidia will ruin everything and make a high quality GFX card for like 100 bucks and make Microsoft and Sony suffer.
You can play Skyrim on Ultra with a 120$ card these days. Though I'm worried that the game devs will completely forget about mid end hardware when the new consoles come out.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
This will be the only time in my ENTIRE life as a gamer that the reason that i'll buy a console (IF i buy one) for the next gaming generation will be not because the games on this one are interesting or that it offers great titles it will be based on the reason that, I'll buy this console cause "it doesnt look as shitty as the other two".

I just CAN'T BELIEVE that this console (probably the PS4) will win a place in my house by DEFAULT !

But im seriously thinking about sticking to my brand new Behemoth of a PC to play games and my PS3 for PS1 games and Blu-Ray.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
"...Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."
Wow, Microsoft is so generous! I get some of the benefits of the X1, like being able to watch tv and play blueray/ dvds without an internet connection, without owning the actual console! What will they think of next!

[sub][sub][sub]I just had a sarcasm overload[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Adeptus Aspartem said:
Jeah.. the last console i bought was a SNES, and i doubt the future generation is going to change that.
Not a bad console to end with.

Also while mentioning SNES i've to replay Rock n' Roll Racing one again.. for the umpthiest-time

JACKASS!! You got a physical copy!? The collector in me is filled with a jealous anger!

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
Cobalt180 said:
"Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

So Microsoft has essentially virtualized going over to your friend's house to play games with them, only that now you have to pay a toll to do it? I'm sorry, but, when I go to a friends house and we play games, that is something that you, nor publishers, are allowed to infringe upon, and doing so violates the Right of First Sale, and if those publishers and companies are so greedy that they want to make me pay for that, then they won't get my First Sale in the first place.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend's house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

My 'Shared Game Library' are the rather pathetic line of discs sitting next to my xbox. While no one else plays those games but me, I still take issue that even members of your OWN FAMILY have to basically prostrate themselves before the xbox to play games, and even then, I have to have a Shared Game Library for this? No, you're overcomplicating a simple process that, while I admire you want to get involved in to help, but you're doing it wrong, and that, as will almost all other things on this list, are only going to shoot yourself in the foot.
Agreed, my shared games library sits there in its cases next to the machine. So this 'feature' now has a level of control and restriction. The major problem is that all our arguing, all our crying out all our fault finding in the logic of the Xbone is for naught. The machine is finished, the software compiled and like it or not this is what will be released. When Halo 5 is released the console will sell, and 12 no the from now the Xbone will be all we have, and all we have ever known. So I'm joining the PC master race...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
vallorn said:
The more we can spread the news by word of mouth the better. Tell friends and coworkers you know play games so they know that this console is a piece of shit they should avoid.

Also thank you! I would have preferred a Chibi Thousand Son but I couldn't find one :p
I'm sadly rather isolated as a gamer, i.e. I have literally no close friends or fellow students who are into console gaming. I do, however, write reviews and other assorted articles for an e-zine, the main target demographic of which are teens and young adults, so I guess I could cover the new console gen there and spread the word that way.

Your only mission for today is to find Chibi Rubric Marine. Go go gadget interwebz! xD