Multiplayer Overview: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
So it's what everyone expected with some new bits thrown in? So yeah, what everyone expected. I'll agree the multi-player can be fun, but I disagree at any use of 'realistic' when associating the two, even if preceeded by 'mostly'. Even without quick scoping, I still found that my ass was handed to me several times over by weapons with rounds that shouldn't even be able to reach me, let alone kill me that quickly.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
The MP went back to the days of MW1, just pure fast paced fun. Wager matches are especially insane. You basically pay $60 for the MP, the campaign is horrible.

BadassCyborg

Feb 2, 2010
Yeah, only problem is the invite system doesn't work so you can't play with friends, how gay is that?! Why would they release a game with such a massive flaw? Hope they patch it, otherwise it's useless. Also the game always lags at just the wrong moment, frustrating.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
the 4p split screen is amazing! each person starts off with every weapon and perk unlocked and you can fully customise your characters. its reeeeaally fun

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
John Funk said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
All I can say is the home page looks hilarious right now.
'Black Ops lacks the "wow" of the series'
And right next to it
'Black Ops is right on the money'
Yes, well, that's always the risk when you split a review up into two parts ;)
Is there a particular reason why your review gives the game no score and Russ's does?

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
I don't get what the deal with the sniper rifle is, granted I was just playing against bots but I found the L96A1 to be just as deadly, if not more so, than the Intervention or Barrett from MW2. It's just less effective of a weapon at close quarters, which I feel works just fine for me, that's what pistols are for.

Got the rented copy until tomorrow, gonna hop online tonight and see whether I agree with this review or not. But very well worded, sir Funk.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
John Funk said:
level250geek said:
So, to make multiplayer better, they mashed up Counter-Strike and MW2? Right, pass. I had a love/hate relationship with CS:S for about a month. I loved the mechanics, the game types, and the concept; I hated that the game had been around for a long time and everybody playing it was awesome. I couldn't get better, because I kept dying. As for MW2...yeah, I played it for several months, and around the time every 12-year-old on Xbox Live started exploiting every glitch in the game, I got real tired of it.

I'm sure that the multiplayer in Black Ops is great, for people who have hours upon hours to play and get better and earn credits. I want a game that I can hop into at any time and have a blast playing. That's called Team Fortress 2.
I would actually much prefer the Black Ops system than TF2's frustrating random drop mechanic. It's gradual, you unlock things at a constant, rewarding pace, and you are assured whatever you want as long as you put enough time into it without having to achievement hunt.

Classic TF2? Absolutely. Current TF2? Not a chance.
Speaking of that, you wouldn't know if there are some Classic servers around? Do they even exist?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
AC10 said:
John Funk said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
And right next to it
Is there a particular reason why your review gives the game no score and Russ's does?
Yes.

We thought there'd be some confusion if we had two scored reviews of the game - which is the "real" review, etc? - and so, given that the single-player is the same for everyone, whereas a multiplayer experience can be affected by any number of factors, decided that the campaign was the one we would make our actual score. You'll notice there are no "Bottom Line" or "Recommendation" bits, either - this is an overview, not a review.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
John Funk said:
AC10 said:
John Funk said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
And right next to it
Yes.

We thought there'd be some confusion if we had two scored reviews of the game - which is the "real" review, etc? - and so, given that the single-player is the same for everyone, whereas a multiplayer experience can be affected by any number of factors, decided that the campaign was the one we would make our actual score. You'll notice there are no "Bottom Line" or "Recommendation" bits, either - this is an overview, not a review.
Ah yes, I see now the distinction.
Well, that works just fine for me. I think it's good of you guys to sort of separate the single and multiplayer like this.

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
woow, the mp is great! but srsly, not cool enough to make the first prestige some days later. today i saw some guys who had prestige. what the fuck?!

nice video by the way

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
John Funk said:
So are you scottish or irish, or something-ish? I get this William Wallace vibe from the reviews you do.

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
BadassCyborg said:
Yeah, only problem is the invite system doesn't work so you can't play with friends, how gay is that?! Why would they release a game with such a massive flaw? Hope they patch it, otherwise it's useless. Also the game always lags at just the wrong moment, frustrating.
You might have a bad connection? hmmmm?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DayDark said:
John Funk said:
So are you scottish or irish, or something-ish? I get this William Wallace vibe from the reviews you do.
Er, you mean ancestry-wise? I grew up in New Jersey. :p

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
Caliostro said:
Ironic Pirate said:
I don't believe they exploded back then. They also took minutes to wind up.

Yeah, real black ops use those. Quieter than a gun.
Since when is an explosive quieter than a gun? Most of the reason guns are noisy is because of the exploding gunpowder bit... Which is designed to propell a small piece of metal, and thus substantially less powerful (and noisy) than explosives designed to kill people by exploding.

"Ranged" means aren't really quiet. Even with silencers guns are pretty noisy. The best bet is using a sniper at some decent range and going with noise masking.

I suppose a non-explosive crossbow (i.e.: NOT the one in this game) could avoid most of the noise, and subsonic boom, but I question both it's ability to pierce body armor at any decent range, it's ability to remain accurate at long ranges, and it's ability to get a quick (and silent) kill, instead of just stabbing someone who'd be screaming at the top of his lungs while bleeding to death.
Real Black ops wouldn't use the explosive ones, I know that. He had said they don't use crossbows at all, no mention was made of explodey ones.

Crossbows can be extremely lethal, and fairly accurate. Medieval ones could hit targets hundreds of feet away, to say nothing of modern ones. The impact alone might break bones or knock someone out, and regardless screaming isn't as loud as a gun. Plus it's harder to tell where it came from. And I highly doubt the Vietcong had armor vary often...
While I have never heard of special soldiers (SaS, FSK or Navy Seal) using crossbows, I know for a fact that crossbows penetrate body army better than normal guns. The arrow is heavier than bullets, and thus have more force on impact.

Multiplayer looks fun. But I can't help but think it will get old after a week, like with MW2. And with the singleplayer being as bad as it is, I'll hold off buying it for now.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Somebody may have posted this already, but i noticed when I went from the create your own class screen (had just ranked up and wanted to get a better smg, and purchase flashbangs) that i had gone gone from rank 7 to rank 5, and lost about 4 grand :(

Now it was only a round or 2, but i had literally just gone in to create class bought and equipped my new stuff went back to the 'search server list' logged in and tried to select the class at the start of the round. Except they were the exact same as before (they kept the new name, but not the equipment etc)

I'm playing on pc, so i asked in game if people had had this happen to them. A few said yes, one guy said he went from rank 36 back to 30 :/

Apparently the loss is a million times worse on the xbox, read somewhere that somebody went from rank 30'ish or around that number right back to rank 1 D:

They are aware of it though, so it'll no doubt be fixed in the near future.

But ye even though I'm not great at the multiplayer yet (just wait till i get my holidays) as i dont really have the time to play it all day and night. It is a nice change and the cash system's a pretty neat idea imo.