Multiplayer Sharks vs. Scuba-Divers Game Looks Absolutely Terrifying

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Galaktia said:
I have to say this looks truely clever and fun, I normally am not one for multiplayers, and I could easily see shark players turning into "campers" but when you add in the sharks poor eyesite and the divers ranged weapons, camping becomes a big risk, if you camp near treasure waiting for enemy players you're likely to get speargunned.

Clever game, worth a look.

They can't really camp, since sharks have to swim to breathe. They can't just sit in a bush or behind a ship.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Therumancer said:
It didn't seem to show too much from the Shark perspective or how that side of things plays. From the looks of things it seemed like it would be a bit lopsided in the favor of the divers due to the limited visibility of the shark players, the abundance of places for the divers to hide, and of course the ranged weapons.

Now maybe if the sharks had laser beams on their heads (pew pew!) it might be a little more balanced. From the looks of that it seems like it would be extremely one sided.
I don't think this will be the case. This is taken from the website itself:

You may have seen some firearm-ish looking things in our media , but make no mistake - Depth is not a game about shooting! The only two projectile weapons in the diver arsenal , The "Tag gun" and the "Speargun" are both pretty much non-lethal. The tag gun fires tiny tracking beacons, and sharks you hit with it will be marked on your team's radar until the end of the round. The Speargun disables what it hits, but will rarely kill outright. It is a gas-operated weapon which has a very slow refire rate and must be charged up prior to shooting to maximize its potency. You will find yourself using it to cover your teammates while they are stealing treasures and to disable pursuing sharks so you can make your escape.

Why am I mentioning this? Well, because alot of online action games involve guns and lots of shooting. And Killing. Depth has killing, make no mistake. But as a diver you are not Rambo. If you try to play like that a shark will pluck your limbs off one by one . The ocean is their home, not yours, and to survive you have to use your head, not your weapon.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Well I am going to keep an eye on this game, maybe if it sells well enough the new shark genre will replace the "realistic" FPS phase we are in?

unit342

Dec 9, 2010
King Toasty said:
Eh.... original, but I'm really worried about the effect on sharks. I mean, when Jaws came out, shark-hunts happened everywhere. People were catching and killing them out of fear. It's died down (no pun intended), but I really don't want this to encourage fear-mongering.
Well, this. But it can easily be avoided as long as the people playing it have a decent understanding of sharks. However, this is the only thing that concerns me about it.
Anyway, it looks like a good new attempt on making FPS games more than what they are today.
As long as they avoid a shark-killing hype, they have my support.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
That looks like it could be uniquely awesome!

Lets see what the Street Sharks think of this...

That's what I thought.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Davey Woo said:
Reminds me of Left 4 Dead multiplayer.

Yes, it does... and we all know how vibrant and welcoming the L4D community is, dont we?

This game DOES look incredibly unique and fun... and I give it all of say... 4 weeks, before the community is griefing, pubstomping, and XBLA-Kid-ing it to the death.

Which is a damn shame.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
gigastar said:
Oh my... I never thought another inde game would be interesting to me after Minecraft. Clearly I was mistaken.

Could this be the first true stealth based multiplayer game?
Actually there was a really fun indie mod built on the steam engine a few years back called "the hidden:source": one team played as military special forces and had the choice between a really rapid fire assault rifle or a shotgun and had to assault a dark scary looking industrial lab like environment in order to kill the player on the other team who was the hidden.

The hidden was completely invisible except in gas but made footstep noise when running and left ripples and splashes in water was armed with a knife, a lunge ability and a few jury rigged pipe bombs.

If the military forces didn't stick together they got knifed fairly quickly by the average experiment player. If they did stick together they got pipe-bombed or ambushed and lunged.

Whoever killed the hidden became the hidden next round, if the hidden one a random player was chosen.

It was fun as hell. That and Dystopia were the only things I played on the steam engine after a while.

OT-Saw shark in the title I knew this had at least a 80% chance to be good, watched the trailer and saw it is going to be.

Edit-seems it's still going http://www.hidden-source.com/downloads.htm

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Treblaine said:
I guess the sharks also cannot ever stop and lie in wait, as (unless Discovery Channel has lied to me) sharks have to constantly be moving forward, to move water over their gills to breathe. Perfect anti-camping element to the offensive side.

With games like this PC Gaming is looking pretty good at the moment along with Minecraft, Old Republic, Dota 2 and Magicka.
I fear that you have fallen victim to Discovery Channel's lies. There are a number of shark species, including nurse, wobbegong, angel, carpet, etc., that spend most of their time lying motionless on the seafloor and use their gill muscles to pump water over their gills. It is only the so-called "streamlined" species (e.g., hammerheads, tigers, whites, etc.) that, because of weak gill muscles, must move forward in order to force water over their gills. The former means of respiration is known as "buccal pumping." The latter is know as "ram ventilation."

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
JDKJ said:
Treblaine said:
I guess the sharks also cannot ever stop and lie in wait, as (unless Discovery Channel has lied to me) sharks have to constantly be moving forward, to move water over their gills to breathe. Perfect anti-camping element to the offensive side.

With games like this PC Gaming is looking pretty good at the moment along with Minecraft, Old Republic, Dota 2 and Magicka.
I fear that you have fallen victim to Discovery Channel's lies. There are a number of shark species, including nurse, wobbegong, angel, carpet, etc., that spend most of their time lying motionless on the seafloor and use their gill muscles to pump water over their gills. It is only the so-called "streamlined" species (e.g., hammerheads, tigers, whites, etc.) that, because of weak gill muscles, must move forward in order to force water over their gills.
Do you think that this would be appropriate to apply to sharks in this game - which look too big to be nurse sharks - giving the gambit that the Sharks have a speed advantage yet don't have the benefit of laying still in wait.

oooooh holy shit, I'm never going in the water!

It's innovation in game design which such an unexplored and novel area as this which is exactly what gaming needs after now the SEVENTH CoD game. Camping I think is one of the major problems in gaming these days, new mechanics like this really get me interested.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Treblaine said:
JDKJ said:
Treblaine said:

I fear that you have fallen victim to Discovery Channel's lies. There are a number of shark species, including nurse, wobbegong, angel, carpet, etc., that spend most of their time lying motionless on the seafloor and use their gill muscles to pump water over their gills. It is only the so-called "streamlined" species (e.g., hammerheads, tigers, whites, etc.) that, because of weak gill muscles, must move forward in order to force water over their gills.
Do you think that this would be appropriate to apply to sharks in this game - which look too big to be nurse sharks - giving the gambit that the Sharks have a speed advantage yet don't have the benefit of laying still in wait.

oooooh holy shit, I'm never going in the water!

It's innovation in game design which such an unexplored and novel area as this which is exactly what gaming needs after now the SEVENTH CoD game. Camping I think is one of the major problems in gaming these days, new mechanics like this really get me interested.
Not being familiar with the sharks in the game, I can't pass informed judgment on that. But it would take a lot of shark to be "too big to be a nurse shark," given that they grow to 15 feet in length and can reach weights in excess of 350 pounds.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hmm, as scary as sharks are, especially the great white, you then find pictures like this:

[HEADING=2]"oooooooh no, I'm ticklish don't![/HEADING]

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Treblaine said:
Hmm, as scary as sharks are, especially the great white, you then find pictures like this:

I'm not impressed. You'd be surprised at how little risk a shark presents to a human once the shark has figured out that the human isn't among the items on its regularly occurring menu. Most all shark attacks are the result of sharks mistaking humans for their usual prey (which is why it is thought that surfers are frequent victims because they resemble the profile of seals and seal lions while sitting on their boards waiting for the next set to roll in).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
JDKJ said:
Treblaine said:

I'm not impressed. You'd be surprised at how little risk a shark presents to a human once the shark has figured out that the human isn't among the items on its regularly occurring menu. Most all shark attacks are the result of sharks mistaking humans for their usual prey (which is why it is thought that surfers are frequent victims because they resemble the profile of seals and seal lions while sitting on their boards waiting for the next set to roll in).
I like the pic because the position makes it seem like a more anthropomorphic creature throwing its head back with it's mouth open roaring with laughter... rather than the "torpedo with teeth" that Great White sharks look like in most depictions like Jaws. There, I explained the joke, it's not so funny any more.

I'm not logically afraid of sharks, but you have to admit Great White sharks can appear marvellously intimidating.

I think the appeal of "shark horror" movies/books etc is playing more on our human fear of the water; it is not our ideal element, most humans if not trained to swim will drown in water, it is a claustrophobic, disorienting yet at the same time enchanting environment where we can move in three dimensions, escape gravity by way of buoyancy for one breath at a time.

I've swum in the open ocean, with the deep blue sea open below me I get the same feeling as looking over a chasm, a fear of oblivion and the unknown and the dangers within. It't exhilarating, certainly not enough to make me paranoid of swimming in the sea, part of the fun is a little fear.

Sharks fit in perfectly with that human fear instinct of open water. We are afraid of unknown threats and in the water we are most vulnerable; we cannot fight back, we cannot escape, we can barely see what is approaching.

Jaws was Spielberg's breakout film and an eternal classic for absolutely nailing the monster-horror genre while grounding it (somewhat) in reality. This was not just another day of shark attacks, this was one very special shark that for some unknown reason was targeting humans. Why? Who knows, that's what makes it so scary.

I get what you say by "sharks get a bad press" I get it. Look, when I watch a horror movie where the crazy killer is a cop that doesn't give me an irrational fear of police officers, however I do appreciate that if one did go crazy and come after me how terrifying that would be.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
A demo for this would definitely be appreciated. If it turns out to be awesome I would definitely buy it

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Oh jesus god fuck
I'm not good with sharks. But this looks... fun? Maybe?
Play as the sharks. You may find it will help. That is, until you bump into a human and tear their limbs off by accident...

K4RN4GE911 said:
Ok. So, claustrophobia, fear of sharks, and I get uneasy in dark places. Even in video games.

Yet, I am totally hooked on the concept. Looks very interesting.
You forgot fear of drowning- see the O2 meter? ;)

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
This game looks like it took some of its concept from splinter cell's spies vs. mercenaries.But that doesn't mean it is a bad thing, in fact I think I will buy this because of its similarities.