Music in games, is it necessary?

Masterbard

Nov 19, 2009
Rabid Chipmunk said:
Yes, music will always be needed, in certain games more than others however. Horror is probably the genre that needs it the most. I mean, can you imagine you're favorite horror titles without an eerie background track in between melees?
This. This here. Horror games are one of the main reasons why music within games will always be vital. Without music, sure you get that weird nagging feeling because it's so quiet, but really, what made the silence so creepy? The fact that there was no music happening. Granted this can be used to great effect in game-play, but it's like the old saying (or something) without no bad, there can be no good.

bruggs

Jul 29, 2011
I think a good idea would be for developers to figure out what they want to be the biggest addition to the experience, the music or the environmental sounds.

And I think where the environmental sounds are more important, that music can simply be quieter, or less interesting and attention-grabbing. Because a sudden lack of music can have a profound effect, and make you pay more attention, while some simple background music goes a long way to bettering the whole experience.

Also, making it optional is always good. Everybody loves options.

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
It's not an "ABSOLUTE MUST", at least, I don't think always. It really depends on the game. An art-heavy hack n' slash basically begs for a pumping orchestra or heavy rock soundtrack, where a game about paranoia and disease of the mind only needs the occasional creaking of a cello or the eerie discord of a few random piano notes.

TheLastTatlFan

May 12, 2011
Music is as necessary in games as in any other medium or, indeed, real life. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe poets have described music as "Food for the soul."

Alkore

May 25, 2009
While I think that music will possibly be required even after virtual reality I think that scores made by orchestras will be eventually on their way out but probably not for 10 to 15 years.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
EC put it well:

(Horrible paraphrasing incoming)
There are strong melodies and songs(Nintendo themes, etc.) that are just iconic as anything and they add a lot to the game just in terms of them being great freakin' songs.

Then there's the other type of music. This is the kind you might find unnecessary, and it sounds really dull all on it's own. But it serves a key role in enhancing the immersion by subtly adding to the environment/mood/setting, what have you.

Then of course there's bad music which...well, nuff said, we just try and ignore that.

Honestly, when music is used well it just makes the game so much more amazing. So when it's used well, which is fairly often all in all, I'd say it's absolutely 100% necessary. I'd never opt to cut out music entirely from a game. There are scenes and mood building moments that need it.

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Take a few of your favourite games.

Now, play though those games with music turned of at all time, no matter what.

Then come back to me and tell me that that didn't make the experience worse.

Dec 27, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
What?
I guess it could be argued that cutscenes, dialogue and 3d graphics are also unnecessary
Have you played Limbo? That worked for it.
OT; Bit of a silly idea there, backed up by only one example, so therefore really isn't worth discussing. I'll let the "stating the obvious crowd like it's some revelation" take this one.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Well it depends on the context. For example, Morrowind's soundtrack tells you when danger is nearby and sets a nice mood, but in Super Meat Boy I turn it off and put on Freddy Todd because it suits better.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Emurlahn said:
Take a few of your favourite games.

Now, play though those games with music turned of at all time, no matter what.

Then come back to me and tell me that that didn't make the experience worse.
Oblivion: No more "sixth sense" that tells me when an enemy has noticed me before I even knew there was enemies near me. Just the ambience. I turned the music off pretty early on and it made the game more immersive and enjoyable.

SWAT 4: The game goes for realism, and the action music that plays whenever there's shooting kind of ruins the atmosphere. Again, I stopped playing with the music on, the ambience fits the game a lot better.

Mount & Blade Warband: I downloaded a mod that changes all music to quiet nature sounds like birds chirping. With another mod that makes the sound effects better, it really makes the combat feel more engaging.

Music tends to have the opposite effect on me, than what was intended. It takes me out of the game. Unless it's something like Fallout 3 with the radio stations, but those are in game things, not background music.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Well I always prefer to do things while listening to music ...

Music is not necessary but it is preferable

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
JambalayaBob said:
EDIT: Yes, I know that it's pretty much necessary at the moment, but I'm talking about the future, when video games are more like virtual reality than anything else.
Yes, even then, as long as there is a story to tell, games will need music. Music is a strong "mood-carrier", one and the same scene(film or game) can deliver different messages/feelings when different music is used.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
The music in Red Dead Redemption was done perfectly.

When you reach mexico and that song starts playing as you ride through the night all alone is possibly one of my favorite scenes in any game

Some games just wouldn't be the same without music and some would be worse with it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
It depends. Sometimes, the music we hear can leave an everlasting impression upon us. For some, it is a means of reflection or enlightenment; others, a source of inspiration or reinforcement of belief. Some simply just enjoy they melodies for the melodies.

And there are fewer still who can take these experiences and make them a reality. Here is one such person...

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
JambalayaBob said:
Video Games are always moving closer to being an experience as compelling as any experience you could have in real life, and perhaps in some instances be more compelling, given the nature of fiction. Because of this, do you think that one day, music in games will be entirely unnecessary? You can already see this happening in some cases.

Look at any Fallout game for instance, whether it be the originals or the two newest games, they all have zero in-game music outside of an ambient soundtrack and a few radio stations. They don't have any proper score, I'd say that 95% of the soundscape is in-universe (including the radio stations of course), and you don't even notice the other 5% unless you pay attention. I think this works to its benefit, but it could be something unique to the universe that makes it work.

My point is that music can add to the mood and greatly improve the experience of watching a movie or play, but I'm not entirely sure that it will always be true for something as already inherently as visceral as video games. What do you think?

EDIT: Yes, I know that it's pretty much necessary at the moment, but I'm talking about the future, when video games are more like virtual reality than anything else.
I was just playing fallout 3 it DOES have ambient music, and not the radios, turn up your volume settings, its just a small atmospheric score, but it is present

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
it,s a MUST! it set,s the mood and makes the world feel alive.
Also if you hate it you can always turn it off.

JambalayaBob

Dec 11, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
What?
I guess it could be argued that cutscenes, dialogue and 3d graphics are also unnecessary?
What?
I don't understand what the inherent difference between movies, plays and video games are (besides the interactivity). They'll all forms of entertainment and music generally helps with that. The only purpose not-music would have was if the game was trying to drown you in some sort of immursion or something.
Well, if it was in a hypothetical virtual reality machine like I've been talking about, then why would you not want it to drown you in immersion? Second of all, kinda funny how all those things aren't necessary. Cutscenes should be basically removed entirely IMO (stuff like scripted sequences in HL2 excluded of course), and dialogue and 3D graphics have their places, but are not wholly necessary. Look up The Endless Forest, it's an MMO that relies entirely on non-dialogue based communication for all player to player interaction.