Music that its "acceptible" to like

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
Like whatever the fuck you want, and if anyone tells you your music is bad, tell them to go fuck themselves. If you like a certain type of music, it's your business and no-one elses.

You like hip-hop? Pop music? Death metal? Good for you! Like it and be proud!

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I don't think that there is a genre that is universally liked. I mean even rock which has become fairly accepted worldwide still gets criticism for "poisoning our children" (granted rap and emo/goth music has had to shoulder that blame more in recent years, but it still happens). It all depends on where you are and who you're talking to.

Honestly I gave up noticing genre a long time ago except in a very general sense. Rock songs are simply rock, not classic rock, not hard rock, it's just rock. I got tired of paying attention to what music is in and out, got tired of trying to figure out what song fits into what category.

And at this point I listen to it all, rock, pop, electronica, classical. From Beethoven to MCR to Gackt, if I like it, I do and I will continue to listen to it. I can't stand country music though and I don't realize understand why people do, but I don't put them down for it (except in a funning manner). I don't understand music elitism. It's pointless....though if you don't like Stairway to Heaven something is wrong with you.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Nouw said:
If you don't like the Beatles or have never heard of it, you will face a wave of angry people. Trust me, if you even hint that you don't like or have never heard of them you will want to lock yourself in your room for a few weeks.

And that's pretty damn sad. As shown by a few Escapist threads I read during my time here.
Do I like the Beatles music? No I do not
Do I respect them as musicians? More then the bands I actually like.

That I think is a key difference, I can pull my personal taste away and look at the bigger picture in perspective. I don't like the music, but I can not deny the impact that they had on the music world, and as a aspiring musician myself, that I admire

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Gloomsta said:
Therumancer said:
He's not saying your can't like it, simply that it's not music and doesn't belong in that catagory, and he's absolutly right.
Are you saying rythm isnt part of music?

Objectively Rythm is an important aspect of music, Hip Hop and Rap have rythm, therefore it is part of music.
It can be part of music, but does not define something AS music. Nor does rhyming nessicarly define something as poetry, though it can be part of that as well. Rhyming can also just be rhyming and part of nothing greater than that such as if I sit here and say "Sad Bad Mad" or something similar I am not making music or any kind of serious poetic composition.

Rap objectively fails to qualify as music in all but a few rare situations. It fairs better when defended as poetry, but oftentimes fails there as well due to having no real meter to it. You have to understand that as a genere you literally have people who do nothing but put a beat in the backround and rant, who have been accepted as rappers making rap music. What this means is that it can be argued that "Rap" is a form of entertainment that neither fits in with Music OR Poetry at the very best, where some performers can arguably overlap with both.

You might not LIKE this point, but it happens to be true. Rap has managed to hold onto it's definition for political reasons, however with things changing I imagine within a decade or things will be differant.

Mostly when people want to defend Rap they do a better job of it than you, by taking the best performers out there that can blur the distinction and saying "see, you can't deny that's music" which is unfortunatly countered by taking some dude who successfully produced and sold a rap "song" as rap when it's just him ranting about crime and wanting another rap group dead or whatever. The very fact that was included as part of rap contributes to destroying the whole. Combine with the simple fact that most of the rap performances that DO come close to being music and might even succeed can be put into other generes.

Ultimatly I imagine Rap will be considered similar to acting or stand up mor than music or poetry due to the wide variety of things it encompasses.

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011
I don't believe in using genre as a basis to decide whether I like a song or not and to be honest nobody should. It pretty much comes down to either I like a song/band or I don't, simple as that. And I listen to The Beatles and Bowie through to The Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and 'hipster' music that everyone seems to love to hate.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't know about what music is acceptable, but I also don't care and love everything from pop acts to independent artists. If it's good, I like it. I prefer straight up rock to other genres, but it's more a slight pull than a strong one.

Aiedail256 said:
Seriously, the only part of it people care about is the lyrics, which is just poetry.
That's not even remotely true. A lot of people don't give a damn about the lyrics and only care about the "beats," a musical component.

Sep 7, 2010
no music is acceptable because it's a personal form of expression, thus conveying information and personal views that others would deem "offensive" and then begin to cry and shit their pants uncontrollably.

Switchblade 327

Nov 25, 2011
100deadrabbits!

Everyone who likes deathmetal digs the deathcore grooves...

And everyone who doesn't enjoys the novelty of Nintendo-core (and Mario being slaughtered)!

No, but... I think Bach is pretty universal, is he not? I think most people will admit to enjoying his tunes.

JoesshittyOs said:
The only thing I really don't accept as music is rap, and pretty much all Death Metal.
You know what's really interesting, is that I can usually tell when someone plays an instrument judging by their attitude towards death metal.

People who don't play instruments call it noise and screaming. People who play instruments call it incredible from a technical standpoint but that they don't care for the vocals/tempo/etc and wouldn't listen to it every day. Of course there's bad death metal, too (*cough*grindcore*cough*), but there's also bad rap, bad rock, bad pop, etc.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
No. I refuse to accept Metallica as a music source. I'm not even a hater of that genre, there songs just plain don't end when they should.

The only thing I really don't accept as music is rap, and pretty much all Death Metal.

I don't know any universally liked music. I think everybody likes the uppity Reggae songs. Don't know anybody who hates "Don't worry be happy"
Or Three Little Birds. (Songs which are by different artists, mind. People who think Bob Marley did "Dont worry, be happy" gets a slap in the face from me)

OT: Yeah, i think there are just some classics within each genre that are universally liked. It makes the whole genre preferance seem kinda redundant since classics can be found within each one.

I usually just listen to whatever i like and don't care about defining genre so people can think about me whatever they want.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Whatever music you want to like. If people want to insult you or stereotype you for it, fuck 'em. Go find better people to talk to.

Gloomsta

Oct 27, 2011
Therumancer said:
Gloomsta said:
Therumancer said:
He's not saying your can't like it, simply that it's not music and doesn't belong in that catagory, and he's absolutly right.
Are you saying rythm isnt part of music?

Objectively Rythm is an important aspect of music, Hip Hop and Rap have rythm, therefore it is part of music.
It can be part of music, but does not define something AS music. Nor does rhyming nessicarly define something as poetry, though it can be part of that as well. Rhyming can also just be rhyming and part of nothing greater than that such as if I sit here and say "Sad Bad Mad" or something similar I am not making music or any kind of serious poetic composition.
Without Rythm there is no Music, all rap has Rythm.

Rap objectively fails to qualify as music in all but a few rare situations. It fairs better when defended as poetry, but oftentimes fails there as well due to having no real meter to it. You have to understand that as a genere you literally have people who do nothing but put a beat in the backround and rant, who have been accepted as rappers making rap music. What this means is that it can be argued that "Rap" is a form of entertainment that neither fits in with Music OR Poetry at the very best, where some performers can arguably overlap with both.
I could say bullshit like rock bands just bang on their instruments whilst ssome drunk shouts into the microfone.

You might not LIKE this point, but it happens to be true. Rap has managed to hold onto it's definition for political reasons, however with things changing I imagine within a decade or things will be differant.
What is the definition of Rap then?

Mostly when people want to defend Rap they do a better job of it than you, by taking the best performers out there that can blur the distinction and saying "see, you can't deny that's music" which is unfortunatly countered by taking some dude who successfully produced and sold a rap "song" as rap when it's just him ranting about crime and wanting another rap group dead or whatever. The very fact that was included as part of rap contributes to destroying the whole. Combine with the simple fact that most of the rap performances that DO come close to being music and might even succeed can be put into other generes.
Again.

Rapping is done in a R-Y-T-H-M.

With no RYTHM, there is no MUSIC.

I could literally hum out his rap without the words and its all done in a rythm.

Ultimatly I imagine Rap will be considered similar to acting or stand up mor than music or poetry due to the wide variety of things it encompasses.
Performance is a big part of all music when live.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Vault101 said:
OhJohnNo said:
People who think Rap cannot be music need to listen to Doctor Steel.

Not your average rapper by a long shot (in fact, I don't like many rappers, though I don't dislike the genre as I once did), and also does songs like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqYEp4OQUBI]. In fact, his genre has been described as "hip-hop industrial opera". But the songs I video'd are definitely rap, and they're also definitely music.
hey...this guy is pretty cool! and really different

anyway for rap I would also recomend Sage Francis....comapred to him most rappers pale in comparison

the thing with rap is I like it...but somtimes It feels like it gets bogged down in subject matter thats...really really boring after a wahile (drugs, hos, crime, "Im so awsome")

Yeah, I discovered him via TvTropes. A lot of rap is basically just a beat with shouted lyrics, which I don't like (though your link wasn't half bad, I must say), but Dr Steel actually incorporates really good and unique instrumentation to back it up. Also, he has has this epic Opera singing voice [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Bk1OjFLJA] which makes even his rap shouting sound really good (and very different compared to your average rapper, if you notice). I think his best song is the following:

<youtube=_7hOlYoebDA>

I'll give you a hint: Listen to it all the way through. The second half will make you like the first half more, when you realise what the song's going on about.

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
I think the only genre of music that I haven't heard insulted is rock (because its the best).

I am also ashamed to admit knowing a person stupid enough to declare me "a Rasta" for listening to Madness. Also The Specials are apparently "a scurvy pirate band"...

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Only current contemporary pop music is universally liked... and that's stretching it really.

Otherwise, why wouldn't it sell so well? Obviously the majority likes it.

Also, people saying that certain genres of music apparently is 'objectively' not music, you have absolutely no clue how vague the definition of music is.

EDIT: This needs adressing.

Therumancer said:
Rhythm IS a defining factor of music. Clear rhythm isn't REQUIRED, but if it has rhythm, it is music.

Saying rap isn't music is like saying this isn't music. And if you don't consider the following music, I pity your "definition" of music.

How is rap not music if THIS is considered music? It's rhythm with a different instrument (your voice).

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Gloomsta said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Is there atleast a good reason for this?
I guess for the most part because of how materialistic Rap is, and as for Death Metal, it's the vocalist parts generally.

I'd say 9 out of 10 times it's that infamous back of the throat screaming they do, and it's impossible to discern the lyrics.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Psycho-Toaster said:
JoesshittyOs said:
I'd recommend backing it up with cold, hard facts if you're going to go around making such bold and frankly stupid statements.
Look above this post for reasons.

Sorry I pointed out that I dislike one of your music genres. I know my opinion must matter to you.