Musical Ignorance

Prophetic Heresy

Dec 26, 2009
NotSoNimble said:
I will stop saying 'I don't like rap' when I hear rap I like.

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.
But if you don't like rap, it's not like you're looking for things to prove yourself wrong.

Xhoyl said:
Exactly. Not only that, but according to the definition of music from my music theory teacher, rap isn't music at all. In the sense that it's more like a poem with some kind of beat in the background. Except without the "poem" part, and just words as far as I've heard. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say I agree with him. Someone wants to change my mind, show me a rap song that actually brings any sort of emotion to the table.
Here is an example for both of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125j6-Gt67k

AbyssalSanhedrin

May 8, 2010
Magicmad5511 said:
If I hear a song I like I will listen to it regardless of genre. Genre is just the classification, it doesn't determine the quality of the song.
Couldn't agree more. In my experience every "genre" has the exact same ratio of shit:awesome, find the stuff you like and ignore the rest regardless of classification.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
NotSoNimble said:
Agreed. Though I do make exceptions for "White & Nerdy" and maybe "It's All About the Pentiums". Otherwise, rap just doesn't appeal to me.

But mix it up, and it is

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Xhoyl said:
NotSoNimble said:

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.
Exactly. Not only that, but according to the definition of music from my music theory teacher, rap isn't music at all. In the sense that it's more like a poem with some kind of beat in the background. Except without the "poem" part, and just words as far as I've heard. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say I agree with him. Someone wants to change my mind, show me a rap song that actually brings any sort of emotion to the table.

And those are only the songs that have a niceish, quiet angry emotion to them. There's fuck ton's more using loud obvious anger as an emotion.

The Radio (most stations anyway) are only playing Pop music, which can be cool sometimes[footnote]Like if you're at a club or something[/footnote] but for the most part they don't play anything good

ninjastovall0 said:
No
the majority of country and rap are all horrible so i can right them off.
Its my right to say if i think music/song sucks, if we dont all artists would assume all their music is good.
It is your right....however it's also incredibly closed-minded of you

Edit:
HardkorSB said:
It's a funny situation really:
The gamers on this site will immediately tell you that the media's portrait (or the general popular opinion) of a gamer is wrong every time you say anything bad about them (especially when it comes to the whole violence thing), telling the people to do some actual research instead just blindly believing what they've been told, yet they take a genre like rap and dismiss it because of what they see in the media.
How does that work?
Quote of the day right here. People are going off the media images of rap from almost 15 years ago.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I've seen this a lot in the metal fans I knew in life, they'd write of anything that isn't metal (or worse; some stupid 'sub-genre' of metal) because it isn't metal. Never really got that.
emeraldrafael said:
There's no bad Jazz unless its faked, just cause Jazz isnt supposed to be GOOD its supposed to have feeling /etitism. XD kidding.
Except for that new-fangled fusion crap. Damn kids meddlin' with my jazz. Now this is jazz:
/super-elitist.
TestECull said:
Every time I give pop and rap a chance I just get a stronger urge to shun and hate it.
Well, thing is, pop isn't really a clearly defined genre, and rap is just an 'instrument' you can use in various kinds of music.

Especially the pop thing, it means "popular music", well hell a lot of stuff is popular. Pretty vague y'know.

macacos2

Apr 2, 2010
SystemUpdate said:
electronia..
I'm sorry if you think a bunch of random bass and bleeps made by a computer software operated by some kid is actual music.

Thanks for your heads up, I'll ask my bf to bash his dick against a table so I can record the sound it makes, remix it a bit and call it a track

Oh, and if you don't like it you're closed minded.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Stilkon said:
2) Justin Bieber is not harming the music industry financially, but he's harming its integrity (which in this day and age is pretty hard to do).
I don't know about that, pop music has turned into throw away razers. You go on X factor or some place has talent (which is usually a joke) and watch as 3 people get record contracts (even though it should only be one) after releasing 5 or so songs maybe the odd album they get forgotton about just in time for the next X factor or some place has talent.

Then bands like take that claim to be breaking up for good, only to join up again once there vast riches dry up.

I think Mitch Benn says it best ....

On topic. I think some "music" isn't music 'cos it's not made by musical instruments but it is something like music. I am not saying it's bad or anthing, I like lady Gaga and Eminem but I wouldn't say it's music.

I find things like dubstep and trance really, really annoying. It's 5 seconds of sound looped for 30 seconds, some small change happens, then it either keeps with that change for 30 seconds before another small change or the change happens and it goes back to how it was before for about 10 seconds when a different change will happen.

It's so mind dumbing to listen to, it's like reading each line in a book 6 times before reading the next one.

Edit. For example I wouldn't call this music but I really like it.

ou could also play a little game of name that game during the video.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
macacos2 said:
SystemUpdate said:
electronia..
I'm sorry if you think a bunch of random bass and bleeps made by a computer software operated by some kid is actual music.

Thanks for your heads up, I'll ask my bf to bash his dick against a table so I can record the sound it makes, remix it a bit and call it a track

Oh, and if you don't like it you're closed minded.
Its as much music as anything else. If i took all the effects off and reduced it to the melodies played on piano would you accept it as music then? Are you objected to the sounds themselves or just the title of the genre?

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
ninjastovall0 said:
SystemUpdate said:
Just as a heads up, I'm sure this doesn't apply to a majority of the Escapist users as us lot seem to be an intelligent and open-minded bunch.
i dont like that you assume that
SystemUpdate said:
He sings bland and uninteresting pop, yes, but is it harming you? Or even the music industry in general?
yes, i find whenever i hear a song of his come on the radio i get throbbing anger pains in my skull especially if its after hearing a one republic or the script song(who are good)

SystemUpdate said:
So, please stop writing off types of music just because of its media image or certain bad artists.
Sorry for the rant.
No
the majority of country and rap are all horrible so i can right them off.
Its my right to say if i think music/song sucks, if we dont all artists would assume all their music is good.

ps-ceelo green is also horrid.
pps-gagas been goin downhill as well
ppps-how dare you try to convince me not to rank on bieber
I freaking love you

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Prophetic Heresy said:
NotSoNimble said:

But if you don't like rap, it's not like you're looking for things to prove yourself wrong.

Here is an example for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125j6-Gt67k
Yeah, I don't find anything to like with what you linked. The monotone ramblings of a mush mouth do nothing for me.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
The gamers on this site will immediately tell you that the media's portrait (or the general popular opinion) of a gamer is wrong every time you say anything bad about them (especially when it comes to the whole violence thing), telling the people to do some actual research instead just blindly believing what they've been told, yet they take a genre like rap and dismiss it because of what they see in the media.
How does that work?

Also, listen to this (with the emphasis on LISTEN):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWa4UpajKTc

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I've seen this a lot in the metal fans I knew in life, they'd write of anything that isn't metal (or worse; some stupid 'sub-genre' of metal) because it isn't metal. Never really got that.
emeraldrafael said:
There's no bad Jazz unless its faked, just cause Jazz isnt supposed to be GOOD its supposed to have feeling /etitism. XD kidding.
Except for that new-fangled fusion crap. Damn kids meddlin' with my jazz. Now this is jazz:
/super-elitist.
TestECull said:
Every time I give pop and rap a chance I just get a stronger urge to shun and hate it.
Well, thing is, pop isn't really a clearly defined genre, and rap is just an 'instrument' you can use in various kinds of music.

Especially the pop thing, it means "popular music", well hell a lot of stuff is popular. Pretty vague y'know.
Pop used to mean 'popular music' but I don't think it does anymore. If we all woke up tomorrow and everyone on Earth suddenly hated Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber, people would still refer to that genre as Pop.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
TestECull said:
Vocals are instruments yes, and rap is a way of doing vocals. That's all there is to it. Technically you can use rap in every genre you want, it's just that you almost exclusively hear it in hiphop, the whole 'gangsta' scene is what you're describing. But the Red Hot Chili Peppers for example had plenty of rapping in their early work.

As for pop, tell me then; what is pop? Which musical characteristics, of course without judging it, defines it? That's where the problem lies, there basically isn't. It's one of the most useless labels there is.
Scrubiii said:
Pop used to mean 'popular music' but I don't think it does anymore. If we all woke up tomorrow and everyone on Earth suddenly hated Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber, people would still refer to that genre as Pop.
But a whole lot of different kinds of music are popular, that's what it makes it so useless. Hell, even Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber sound barely alike. Bieber's some soft R&B type, and Lady Gaga an electro...thing.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
While I agree sort of, I still just don't like certain types of music and the things associated with them. Much of rap and its meaningless lyrics and relative lack of coherency? Yeah, write it off. I still like some rap, but I can say rap as a genre is not enjoyable. Country, I just really don't like the voices of the big names.

It's a matter of personal preference as much as anything, but I don't see what the point of this thread is. >.>

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Raps great you just need to find what you like. Yet here at the escapist (I know I will get a warning or temp band or some hardcore metal freak responding to this bu what ever) we are hard asses about other genres. At least when I was a active member thats what the general sense is. Raps a genre that's good. Bone thugs and Akon doing "I tried" fucking pulled my heart a lot more than any rock piece of shit. <-- okay see that? that's a opinion. rock sounds like shit to me. Yet I show respect for the genre. The escapist? the majority don't show respect for rap. Its annoying but what ever. I could easily go on about saying how rock sounds like a bunch of emo kids crying about the same thing that rappers cry about but whats the use? no one is going to be changed by this statement or any other.

Yes this was meant to provoke the rock lovers who came the conclusion that rap is shit just as they always provoke me. Welcome to the club friend!

OP gets 10 points.

Xhoyl

Dec 7, 2009
HardkorSB said:
How does that work?
I don't dismiss it because of what the media says, I dismiss it because I've actually listened to it. Mostly involuntarily, but I have, and I have yet to find one I can connect to emotionally. Now, I am nothing if not open minded, so I will listen to the songs the posters said are the exception, and judge for myself. But even if any of those particular songs are good, it still says something of rap goers with how often a car drives by me with crap pounding my ears into submission. Basically, just because a genre has exceptions (as tends to be the case) doesn't mean I'm gonna get into that particular genre and wade through the crap to find the good stuff. In all honestly, I stick with what I listen to because percentage wise, I know I'm going to find a song I like more often than not.

macacos2

Apr 2, 2010
aww yea said:
macacos2 said:
SystemUpdate said:
electronia..
Its as much music as anything else.
It isn't. Real music is made by composers who actually spend years of their lives studying music itself at an Academy and mastering the instruments required to reproduce the sound of perfection along with criativity.

Remember the time people actually spent months perfecting only the lyrics for their songs, and not just a couple hours?

I really doubt you do because you probably weren't even born yet.

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
I struggle with this problem myself a lot. I know that I need to be open minded and all, but after hearing Justine Bieber's "Baby" for the 50th time on the radio, you get kinda sick of pop music all together. Actually, you get kinda sick of life altogether by that time.