Musical Ignorance

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
macacos2 said:
It isn't. Real music is made by composers who actually spend years of their lives studying music itself at an Academy and mastering the instruments required to reproduce the sound of perfection along with criativity.

Remember the time people actually spent months perfecting only the lyrics for their songs, and not just a couple hours?

I really doubt you do because you probably weren't even born yet.
I lol'd. Oh wait you're serious? That's both sad and amusing.

OT: There are tons of people on the Escapist that do exactly that, particularly with Hip Hop. It seems people like to express their distaste for rap, however expressing it only reveals their ignorance. People act like the genre of their choice doesn't have a shit mainstream representation as well, I'm not saying rap doesn't, mainstream rap sucks, but so does mainstream Rock or Metal. I chose not to judge genres by their mainstream representation because I'm not a fucking moron.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
NotSoNimble said:
I will stop saying 'I don't like rap' when I hear rap I like.

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.
listen to Biggie.

the only musical artists i will say i hate is Justin Bieber. not because i think he's a talentless piece of hell-crap but because people decided 'this is good, but autotune it a little.' and then like someone on a diet eating chocolate, they can handle a little bit... maybe a little bit more then ten minutes later theyre autotuning the pizza delivery guy over the doorbell-intercom. i think that Bieber could be good if he decided to sing about other stuff, more mature stuff and smash the autotuner.

Obsideo

Jun 10, 2010
macacos2 said:
aww yea said:
macacos2 said:
SystemUpdate said:
electronia..
I'm sorry if you think a bunch of random bass and bleeps made by a computer software operated by some kid is actual music.
Its as much music as anything else.
It isn't. Real music is made by composers who actually spend years of their lives studying music itself at an Academy and mastering the instruments required to reproduce the sound of perfection along with criativity.

Remember the time people actually spent months perfecting only the lyrics for their songs, and not just a couple hours?

<youtube=UOuxTQpxawc>

He spent 300 hours on this track alone.

Also with electronica you have to work with every instrument in the song as well as mix/master it, which is a lot different from learning a song on, say, the guitar and then playing it in a studio.

I'm not saying that guitarists or non-electronic artists have no talent of course, that'd be stupid, but making this music isn't just hitting "record" and punching a keyboard.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Have you ever considered that sometimes people dislike genres at least partially because of the lack of talent involved? I mean I'll admit there are probably exceptions (though I've never experienced any firsthand, so that's more obligatory than genuine) but at the end of the day, regardless of personal opinion, almost anyone can do this.
Really?
OK then, make a song that will make millions of people run to the dancefloor whenever it plays.
I dare you. After all, almost anyone can do that.
Or are you one of the few who can't?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I pretty much listen to what ever tickle my bone.

From Rap to Classical, it dosen't fucking matter and Lady Gaga is pretty damn it.

(I just wanted to say the last part)

Anyway, I favorite songs from every genre, yes even Heavy metal.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
sergnb said:
NotSoNimble said:

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.
Travel in time to the 80's and early 90's.
Listen to the current rap movement.
?????
PROFIT!
I had to live it once, I have no desire to live it again. If anyone wants to send me a link to some 'great rap' I'd listen to it. But if you want to give me shit if I don't like it, don't waste my time please.

SystemUpdate

Oct 10, 2010
You're right, its all about searching for the obscure overlooked music that is good, but Justin Beiber should be killed for the sake of humanity.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Well since my iPod broke and I've been saving up for driving lessons, I have to listen to that crap every single day for two fucking hours on the bus ride to/from college. I feel like I have an obligation to demote pretty much all mainstream pop, R&B and rap because I honestly don't think these 'artists' should earn a single penny.

That said, there is not a single genre of music where I do not have ANY songs I like. I've heard rap that I've found to have intelligent lyrics. I've heard stuff that would go under pop which I still wouldn't listen to but at least has some kind of originality or artistic merit.

Cookie Cutter Pop Punk bands can pretty much go and die though. Tis the one thing I will say. When somebody says they like metal and I try to start a conversation about Slayer or Gojira or whatever and then they say actually, its more like All Time Low, a bit of me dies inside.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Well, as the first poster said i'll like rap if i listen to a rap song that i like.

In all honesty, there probably is a few rap songs out there that i would like, but tbh most rap songs i do not like, so from that basis i make the generalisation that i don't like rap (or pop or hip-hop etc)

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Listen to whatever the hell you want. For me, I just listen to whatever sounds good to me, and genre is secondary. The idiots on YouTube spouting off on 'genre wars' and 'metal vs. the world' are complete fools. Music is just music.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Well you can't deny that the various ammounts of -core genres are actually crappy despite having a few good bands.And funnily those same bands lean more on other genres instead of their -core genre.This includes gammacore and hard techno but it still appeals to candy ravers and it's pretty obscure not a lot in your face.

What annoys me about popular mainstream pop singers is that they also try to enforce a certain lifestyle.Whatever you might say about Gaga she does fight for equality and a person being himself.She's also insane and starred in a Lonely Island song.She wins a lot of points here.
Whereas we have Bieber who has crappy predictable pop songs that seem to enforce being a cool kid,having an iphone and a crappy hairdo.And babies.He's also very much in your face and however you might try to ignore it,it's still blatantly annoying to the point you start hating it(not hating on it,but there's petty people).

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
NotSoNimble said:
sergnb said:
NotSoNimble said:

Travel in time to the 80's and early 90's.
Listen to the current rap movement.
?????
PROFIT!
I had to live it once, I have no desire to live it again. If anyone wants to send me a link to some 'great rap' I'd listen to it. But if you want to give me shit if I don't like it, don't waste my time please.
Well how am I supposed to know what you don't like?

Some examples of rap I consider good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-afioLMcEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37wSwAJ98Zk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXDolxczmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWUMSPekHBE

I could just drop the whole San Andreas soundtrack here as a good example. I personally enjoy rap that is mixed with other styles like funky, because it has more "soul" if you know what I mean.

Also don't forget America isn't the only place in the world where rap is being produced. France has a shiiitload of good rappers aswell as some other european countries like Spain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9iBucSXKg&feature=related

arrjay93

Mar 9, 2010
teebeeohh said:
my Problem with justin bieber is that i don't think he makes music because he likes making music, he does it to make money. Yes every musician has bills to pay but when somebody is obviously more interested in making money then making art or entertaining me it pisses me off.
I reckon he's probably having a great time. He's not paid in hugs or cuddly feelings, which I assume would be all an artist who didn't care about money would charge for their work, but I've never had the impression that he doesn't care about what he's doing.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
Stilkon said:
A couple of points:

1) I'm glad that Lady Gaga's charade doesn't piss only me off. However, I will say that her songs are lazily written (though that's just my opinion).
2) Justin Bieber is not harming the music industry financially, but he's harming its integrity (which in this day and age is pretty hard to do).
I don't know man...Alejandro is pretty complicated for a pop song.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Xhoyl said:
NotSoNimble said:

Exactly. Not only that, but according to the definition of music from my music theory teacher, rap isn't music at all. In the sense that it's more like a poem with some kind of beat in the background. Except without the "poem" part, and just words as far as I've heard. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say I agree with him. Someone wants to change my mind, show me a rap song that actually brings any sort of emotion to the table.
Hark! A rap song with some emotion to it, you say? Try these:

Want something a bit more geek-friendly?

There you go. Have fun... or don't. I'm certainly not gonna force anything.

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
macacos2 said:

Lolwut

So people who are self-taught, or who play by ear, or who have their own musical language, or who couldn't get Mommy or Daddy to spring for Berkley or Julliard can't make 'real' music with 'criativity'?

I'll tell them the next time I see them!

arrjay93 said:
teebeeohh said:
my Problem with justin bieber is that i don't think he makes music because he likes making music, he does it to make money. Yes every musician has bills to pay but when somebody is obviously more interested in making money then making art or entertaining me it pisses me off.
I reckon he's probably having a great time. He's not paid in hugs or cuddly feelings, which I assume would be all an artist who didn't care about money would charge for their work, but I've never had the impression that he doesn't care about what he's doing.
Two things:
1. How many of us wouldn't love to perform in front of people doing something we enjoy? I don't like Justin Bieber's music very much, but I hardly begrudge him his success. He's not a cancer on the music industry: he's the latest version of the 'young pop star' role that has been around forever. Someone's got to fill the role. I know the music industry is in shambles now, so maybe just call him what he is: an entertainer, one who seems to (for better or worse) make a lot of people happy.

2. It's irrelevant whether you do your art for the money or the love of it, provided that it's good. I love the idea of people doing art or music for it's own sake, but that's a fairly new idea. Most of the great still-existing works of art and pieces of music were done for money, and almost all of it was commissioned by the Church and the nobility. Artisans and composers were supporting themselves and their families and they made great works in spite of the fact that what they were doing was their livelihood, not for their own pleasure.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I hate country music. I dislike twang guitar and country accents in general -- they just don't sound good. TF, I hate damn near every country song, because without at least one of those things, the song could hardly be called a country tune, wouldn't you say? In other words, I hate the elements inherent in the genre, so I hate the genre. Furthermore, I find very little to relate to thematically in country music. I hold no pretensions of stereotypical masculinity, I'm not much of a patriot, I've never been to jail, or drunk, and I've only fired a gun a handful of times. Lastly, I have a prejudice against the genre, since I associate it with people, places, and times that I find uncomfortable and depressing, if not just offensive.

That being said, I get where the OP's coming from. An intellectually responsible, culturally well-rounded individual should be able to appreciate art for what it is, even if it's not their cup of tea. It was just fun to pick apart why exactly I hated country so much.

Prophetic Heresy

Dec 26, 2009
SageRuffin said:
Those were all excellent choices, although I'll admit I really hate nerd rap with MF DOOM being my only exception. If only The Escapist allowed dump threads we could just freely share all our favorites.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
HardkorSB said:
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Have you ever considered that sometimes people dislike genres at least partially because of the lack of talent involved? I mean I'll admit there are probably exceptions (though I've never experienced any firsthand, so that's more obligatory than genuine) but at the end of the day, regardless of personal opinion, almost anyone can do this.
Really?
OK then, make a song that will make millions of people run to the dancefloor whenever it plays.
I dare you. After all, almost anyone can do that.
Or are you one of the few who can't?
That's all marketing. I'm saying that anyone can preform this song, or create something of similar complexity and composure.