Musical Ignorance

SystemUpdate

Oct 10, 2010
Just as a heads up, I'm sure this doesn't apply to a majority of the Escapist users as us lot seem to be an intelligent and open-minded bunch. It's just an observation I've had on the way many people regard music.

I'm sick of people jumping to massive conclusions and disregarding entire genres of music simply because they're heard a few songs they dislike or it is disliked by the media. Music like rap and pop often gets bad-mouthed for no good reasons; yes, there is a tonne of bad rap and pop, just like there is a tonne of bad metal and jazz and electronia. It's not like I have a problem with people not liking a certain type of music - but you should still have respect for the genre and artist (unless they really are a piece of talentless crap - Brokencyde, for instance).

I don't listen or really like Lady Gaga, but she has a good voice and well-written/well-produced pop songs, even if her pompous diva persona grates on me. She's not on my iPod, just like Metallica aren't and neither is Tinie Tempah - but I do respect them because I understand they are musically gifted and please their intended audience. Just because I don't like their music doesn't mean I think they're 'bad'.

Heck, even Justin Bieber takes too much flak. He sings bland and uninteresting pop, yes, but is it harming you? Or even the music industry in general? No.

So, please stop writing off types of music just because of its media image or certain bad artists.
Sorry for the rant.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
I will stop saying 'I don't like rap' when I hear rap I like.

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
What's the point of this thread?
Talk about the phenomenon? I'll assume so.
I usually don't judge genres via one song, I judge artists by one (or two from different albums) song(s).

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
As you said, I think you're preaching to the choir here a little. Doesn't make your point any less valid though. But I'm with ya on it.

You really don't like Rebecca Black's music that much? Well, it's very rare you absolutely, 100% have to listen to it, so quit yo' whinin'.
Is something I'd say to many, many people if I had the choice. And wasn't so lazy. And actually cared about sticking up for Rebecca Black. Or anyone, really.

Lust

Mar 23, 2010
I say, "It's your choice, man. Enjoy what you listen to and don't let anyone tell you different."

Apparently, that's too much for some people. Oh well.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
A couple of points:

1) I'm glad that Lady Gaga's charade doesn't piss only me off. However, I will say that her songs are lazily written (though that's just my opinion).
2) Justin Bieber is not harming the music industry financially, but he's harming its integrity (which in this day and age is pretty hard to do).

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
There's no bad Jazz unless its faked, just cause Jazz isnt supposed to be GOOD its supposed to have feeling /etitism. XD kidding.

Meh. I have my music I like, and i have my music I dont, but I wont say a genre is crap. I may stereotype it, but I wont say its crap,l just i dont like it from what I've heard. And even then, I mostly only say that when its something like new rap vs old rap or something, that i like hte older stuff. Say what you want, but I really dont think Rap stars today have the qaulifications to talk about what a hard life they have/had nowadays.

Xhoyl

Dec 7, 2009
NotSoNimble said:

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.
Exactly. Not only that, but according to the definition of music from my music theory teacher, rap isn't music at all. In the sense that it's more like a poem with some kind of beat in the background. Except without the "poem" part, and just words as far as I've heard. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say I agree with him. Someone wants to change my mind, show me a rap song that actually brings any sort of emotion to the table.

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
What's funny about Beiber is that he's actually a very good drummer and I'm sure is good at other instruments as well. I mean I don't really like his music unless I'm trolling IRL, but hey.

But I know what you're talking about, especially on this site when it comes to rap music, which isn't all bad (looks at my full set of Kanye West albums).

Though when it comes to some people liking meal genres I think that they choose based on how 'hardcore' the music is, and will discount less 'hardcore' music even if the songs are good or not. I tried getting a friend into Megadeth in highschool, but he was going through the "Dream Theatre is better than all because they are the greatest muscians" phase, so he didn't really bite. I mean Dream Theatre is great, but it doesn't mean that less musicianship calls for less good music.

SystemUpdate

Oct 10, 2010
Xhoyl said:
NotSoNimble said:

Exactly. Not only that, but according to the definition of music from my music theory teacher, rap isn't music at all. In the sense that it's more like a poem with some kind of beat in the background. Except without the "poem" part, and just words as far as I've heard. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say I agree with him. Someone wants to change my mind, show me a rap song that actually brings any sort of emotion to the table.
I could, but to say something ridiculously obvious: Emotions are a personal thing. Something what gets me sad or happy or angry may have no effect on you whatsoever. One thing that marks out rap as different is most of the emotion comes from the lyrics, when in more conventional songs the chords, melody or beat can trigger emotional response without any lyrics.
With rap, the words and flows have to be well put together to generate emotion

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I see what you're saying and I kind of like to uphold the idea that no one genre of music is entirely worthless, I'm determined that I should be able to find at least one thing that I like within each genre, which admittedly is harder for some than others but I'd like to gather an eclectic collection as possible. Also, I really do detest music elitists. I've said it before and I'll say it again; your personal tastes do not entitle you to act like a ****.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
If I hear a song I like I will listen to it regardless of genre. Genre is just the classification, it doesn't determine the quality of the song.

Charisma

Oct 28, 2008
The only thing I have to contribute to this is to point out that there's no more value to your opinion than the opinion type you criticize. And the same can be said for the opinion I'm presenting here.

I guess what I'm doing is preaching the value of a bird's-eye perspective on things. I dunno.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
my general opinion is that is something is enjoyable to people and doesn't hurt anything, then it is a success. Regardless of if I like it or not.

That's why I will say I hate Rap, generally. Certainly there are exceptions, and I have even heard some exceptions that I like, but far too much rap boils down to, "I'm black, and therefore I'm an antagonistic, materialistic, misogynistic and violent individual, and that makes me cool". If Rap pulled off the kind of irony in, say, Postal or GTA, then I would have no problem with it, but everything I see seems to be portraying the cultural trappings of rap music as a legitimate philosophy, representative of Black people at large, and portraying them as selfish thugs. I don't like it when racists do that, and I don't like it when music does it. It is too difficult to evaluate the technical merits of the art when I'm too distracted by the virulent racism.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I'm one of the most eclectic people I know in terms of music. I don't know about you, but listening to my mp3 player for 30 minutes will probably bring up Ray Brown Trio, Gustav Holtz, Weird Al Yankovic, ManOWar, Glen Miller, Blind Guardian, Led Zeppelin, Frank Sinatra, Rage Against the Machine, and probably some people too small to be heard of by anyone. If that's not a healthy span of music, I don't know what is.

It's very rare when disco, electronica, pop, hip hop, or rap really appeal to me. They are just types of music that I don't get into. Country I can listen to occasionally, but I chose not to, as I hear enough from my sister, mother, and grandmothers.

So, if I say I don't like a particular kind of music, I think I'm allowed to, considering I've played music professionally for years, and will listen to anything once. But it's not often that rap or hip hop appeals to me on any level. There is some that I like, but that's mostly out of humor like Sir Mixalot's big butts song that appeal to my twisted sense of humor.

EDIT: Oh, and I have to say that I can't stand vinyl scratchers. That style of "music" is horrible. Only in the most extreme circumstances will I consider people using other music and scratching it to be acceptable.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
SystemUpdate said:
Xhoyl said:
NotSoNimble said:

I could, but to say something ridiculously obvious: Emotions are a personal thing. Something what gets me sad or happy or angry may have no effect on you whatsoever. One thing that marks out rap as different is most of the emotion comes from the lyrics, when in more conventional songs the chords, melody or beat can trigger emotional response without any lyrics.
While i agree with systemupdate - you cant deny when songs are exuding emotion whether you resonate with it or not. You can feel the anger from almost anything Tyler, the creator comes out with and frustration from many songs by devlin. Also i'd say rap is music in the same way drums are a musical instrument. Less about the melody more about the rhythm. The lyrics come with that ofcourse, but flow is very important.

as for an example of emotion in rap listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFTLouiUFjI

Xhoyl

Dec 7, 2009
SystemUpdate said:
Xhoyl said:
NotSoNimble said:

That's understandable. I've never been a big lyrics kinda guy. I'm the kinda nut that likes classic music, or at least orchestrated music that doesn't need words to get it's point across. But I do enjoy the occasional song that has lyrics that compliment the melody, etc. That's when a song is truly great imo, when it can use both to create that greatness. One of my favorite examples of this is the ending credits to The Legend of Dragoon. Absolutely beautiful song.