Muslim Complaints Get Modern Warfare 2 Map Pulled

positiveParadox

Sep 1, 2012
It's complicated.
First, I've seen a lot of Muslims get REALLY ANGRY at a lot of things, but what I don't understand is why the inconsistency? Just try to count the offensive things to Christians in video games: parodies, Catholic Church, calling Christians stupid. Wow. I've seen tons of that, but my question is: why accommodate the Muslims? Don't get me wrong I have no hate for Islam, but why the special treatment?

Also, Muslims are VERY sensitive to such issues (South Park episodes, a certain "Innocence" video, etc) as well they probably should be.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Now I have absolutely nothing against Muslims, but this is fucking ridiculous. Every single time they feel their religion is being insulted they have to have a huge protest. The amount they protest- actually no protesting is usually organized, they get fucking intense about this stuff which explodes into a riot. The worst thing about this is they get what they want. They throw a temper tantrum, and then whatever it is gets pulled. Whether it's a comic, show, or even a fucking picture over a toilet. Get. the fuck. over it.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Blunderboy said:
Wait, someone found time during a CoD game to look at the quotation written on a painting in a bathroom?

I think you're doing it wrong.
This. The number of times I've been shot to death in this game while hiding in that room nursing a 10 kill streak waiting for my AC-130 are countless. I'd always debate if it's safe to reload, then upon electing to reload, an enemy would walk in the door. Who the hell decides to look at the picture frames with a scope?

Also, out of curiosity, isn't it bad in most religions to kill other humans? So if you're gonna get offended about virtual content, I'd start there, since it's what the game revolves around. It's hard to be annoyed at this guy, since he put it very nicely, but still... If such a small thing offends you, I think you should re-evaluate your priorities, and probably stop playing CoD online.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
Wait, what do we know about the family that lived in the house.
They weren't necessarily muslim and maybe bought the frame at a store cos they thought it was nice and didn't think twice about the "pretty design around the edges".
Sure if they invited any muslim friends over they might have been offended but that clearly didn't happen before all hell broke loose and people started using the house as shelter from enemy fire.

It's a game...

Right, I'm off to the store and gonna find me a picture frame for my portrait of the Virgin Mary that I want to hang next to the septic tank.

...Ad Absurdum

IxHADOUKENxI

Dec 24, 2010
I love how can just whine about anything under the guise of "It offends my religion" and eventually you'll get your own way.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
God damnit Activision. You can't keep giving special treatment to people because you fear they'll react violently - that just makes them believe their actions are justified.

Fuck all religion.

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
Sure are a lot of generalizations in this thread. People seem to have this idea in their head that all Muslims are as bad as the people who held those riots over nothing a few weeks back and that's ridiculous. It's like saying every Christian is no different then those Westboro Baptist nuts.

The CoD community should be grateful anyway, as Favela is a terrible map.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
I read the whole first page of replies, then scanned the remaining pages (which are many). All I have to say is THANK YOU to 99% of you posters who brought a smile to my face and hope to my otherwise dashed view on humanity. There are literally too many replies that I would love to quote and give massive thumbs up too.

Too bad, the Escapist doesn't have a "Like" or "Thumbs Up" thingy to click if you like a reply.

Hmmm...I wonder if I said I was offended by NOT having that thingy if it would change things...

No?

Oh alright.

=D

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
To the asshat who whined about this and got the map pulled.

you mean you are offended? SO WHAT!?!

Seriously, deal with it and use your own judgement on it all you want but don't be "that guy" about this shit while hiding behind your religious shield. It is pathetic. It is pathetic in the way you think you should dictate the art of others back to them (this being the art of the game itself and the atmosphere they were trying to make. I'm assuming the atmosphere being on of "people of a variety of backgrounds were living in this place until very recently so signs of that still linger"), and it is pathetic in the idea it shows such a lack of conviction or legitimate faith in your own beliefs. That you would feel insulted or worse about a decorative painting in a bathroom is fine, bit oversensitive in my mind, but fine. But that you would want the map pulled shows such insecurity that I don't think "spineless pansy-assed whiner" can quite meet the definition of it.

And no, I'm not not bitter about it personally, I hate the franchise and never play the games. This is just my reaction to a situation that seems to be playing softball with a major global religion because some assholes seem to demand to be catered to and handled with kid gloves to protect their absurd beliefs and are actually given it. Honestly, christians are mocked and belittled all the time, even jews get a bit here and there. Muslims though? Either it is an over-protected subject or it is some jerk being over zealous and outright hostile in throwing digs at it. Grow the hell up, welcome to the 21st century and man up to the fact that means people will mock and belittle your religion the same as everyone else's and that trying to play politically correct butt-hurt bullshit over every minor use of your religion that isn't giving it a long and luxurious blowjob treatment will only get your religion even MORE mocked and hated as people see that as a preferential treatment that is (quite rightly described as) special treatment.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
blackrave said:
Funny people- they don't mind that they are being killed in hundreds every day
But as soon as you somehow touch their book of fairy tales or their pedophile prophet- suddenly they are enraged
And you know what is the most fucked up thing in this? THEY ARE NOT ENRAGED, simply muslim elite uses such things as excuses to show their supposed superiority.
As if they have unique right to ***** and moan about every tiny thing they don't like and everyone else is supposed to simply accept it.

P.S. Friendly advice- don't read Koran, unless you are of strong mind, otherwise you'll get indoctrinated. I'm not kidding, even translated version is set in such way that it will change the way you are thinking, unless you keep your guard up.
P.P.S. Now I know how Illusive Man felt.
I have read the quran, and while you are right, it's less effective than you make it out to be. There are no hypnotoads hiding between the pages waiting to force your mind into submission.

Interesting facts, though:

The head dresses often worn by women are there to "keep their skin fair", and are mentioned as being entirely optional.

Striking a woman is supposed to be punished with removal of one's hands.

Abrahamic faiths are to be treated as equals, since apparently Muhammad was at least smart enough to realize these religions are very similar.

P.S. No, I'm not a muslim, I just wanted to know what this books actual contents are, as opposed to what people say it is.

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
FelixG said:
LifeMakesMeLOL said:
Sure are a lot of generalizations in this thread. People seem to have this idea in their head that all Muslims are as bad as the people who held those riots over nothing a few weeks back and that's ridiculous. It's like saying every Christian is no different then those Westboro Baptist nuts.

The CoD community should be grateful anyway, as Favela is a terrible map.
I must have missed the articles where the westboro folk were bombing buildings, cutting off peoples heads and rioting over a stupid 2 minute video clip, could you link me to those?
Thank you for proving my point.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Luke Brittain said:
It's complicated.
First, I've seen a lot of Muslims get REALLY ANGRY at a lot of things, but what I don't understand is why the inconsistency? Just try to count the offensive things to Christians in video games: parodies, Catholic Church, calling Christians stupid. Wow. I've seen tons of that, but my question is: why accommodate the Muslims? Don't get me wrong I have no hate for Islam, but why the special treatment?
Because they're the ones who blow things up, burn things down, and generally kick off in a huge, huge way at the slightest insult.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Or, to put it another way: Terrorism works.

Now, I'm not calling all Muslims terrorists, indeed for the first 15 years of my life if anybody was going to try and kill me and my family it would have been Irish Catholics, it's only been the last 11 years that Muslim fundamentalists have come to the fore.

However, one cannot deny that violence on a global scale by a few bad Muslims seems to have benefited the more peaceful crowd who still like to get offended by stuff.

To give a personal anecdote (never really of any value in an internet debate, but I enjoy bringing them up so, meh...): I know a school teacher who is apparently not allowed to call one of her Students 'Mohammed', despite that being his name.

The reason? The parents don't want non-muslims calling their son Mohammed. The school has obliged and told all the staff there not to call this child Mohammed.

Personally, I'd have told the Parents that if they didn't want infidels calling their son Mohammed, they shouldn't have moved to a secular country like the United Kingdom and named their bloody Son Mohammed...

Anyway, all rambling aside, I do feel more and more that Muslims are getting special treatment that they don't deserve, and I feel it comes down to a geniune fear of looking like racists in light of terrorist activities across the globe over the last 11 years (and beyond...).

As for the OP: Meh, end of the day it's not really a big deal taking out a single image if it's really upsetting people, although I would argue that those people should just man the fuck up and stop getting offended by every percieved slight against their precious 6th century crazy-man and his imaginary friend in the sky.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH, I'M A BABY!

That's how I view religious people being offended by stupid shit like this. That is democracy, you have every right to be offended, and frankly i'm offended by religion, I'm not throwing a hissyfit because of that.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
For anybody wondering, the map is still in the PC version of MW2 unchanged, not sure about MW3.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Norix596 said:
Really? The part of Modern Warfare that Muslims find offensive is the writing on a wall surface? How about the slaughter of mass quantities of generically "arabic" enemies?
A lot of the time, especially in something like islam, the people are viewed as far less important than the actual religion. Islam is insanely precious about its prophet.