Muslim Complaints Get Modern Warfare 2 Map Pulled

an874

Jul 17, 2009
nodlimax said:
So they are offended? Who cares? Let them be offended. They don't care if I find some of their behaviour offensive.

I think the Islam itself as a religion is offensive....so please change for me....
It's not just about religion. Frankly, I'm not too crazy about religion in general and I think many religious communities have problems, including the Muslims. However, this isn't just about the religion by itself. If it was, I'd agree with you. However, Muslims in some pockets of pop culture and especially in the game medium are used as cannon fodder with as little second thought as a Goomba in Mario Bros. Also there is the elephant in the room that when people say or think "Muslim," most people think of brown-skinned people from the Middle East or Asia, at which point it's a racial issue. The quote on the wall was put there in that map to tie into that and it represents the outright exploitation which has helped Activision build one the biggest franchises of this generation. That's why it's a big deal, and a good thing that the company is finally addressing this issue, at least in some small way. By the way, just to be clear, when I said racism, I don't think there's necessarily active hatred at work by the game devs, just casual exploitation of stereotypes, which is in some ways worse.

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
Big fucking deal. Muslims can't stand not receiving preferential treatment from government and also private industry. The people that run these separate institutions are a bunch of beta titular councilors terrified of making their bosses unhappy with this stupid shit. And the bosses themselves hate being distracted from their real responsibility, cocaine.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Seriously why are we giving into these people? Why do we have to be so tolerant of the intolerant? All they do is complain, threaten, riot and kill people in order to take away our free speech and it seems to be working.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
tmande2nd said:
Wow so once again a company bows to pressure because it "offended" someone.

DONT PLAY IT IF IT OFFENDS YOU! YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DICTATE WHAT IS AND IS NOT ALLOWED BECAUSE IT OFFENDS YOU.

God I hate how people act like their offense somehow matter.
I also hate companies that pander like that.

No I dont hate Muslims either.
I just hate people who demand something changes because it stepped on their religious or moral toes.
yeah really I'm offended every time I hear Justin Berber, but I don't see anyone caving into my demands and taking him off the radio.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I seriously doubt anyone was offended. In fact, it would surprise me if any of them were even mildly incensed. They just wanted to wave their "special treatment" card in front of everyone's noses. Every religion fosters this kind of entitlement; Islam just didn't get beaten into submission by secular thought (yet), so it tends to get uppity.

GildaTheGriffin

Jul 4, 2012
nodlimax said:
So they are offended? Who cares? Let them be offended. They don't care if I find some of their behaviour offensive.

I think the Islam itself as a religion is offensive....so please change for me....
They do need to change as a society. Their religion keeps them away from joy and suppresses freedom to it's own people. And it's all from one man, a thousand years ago, who dictated them into worshiping him so he can be revered. Now I'm Christian, and I get bashed by Atheist, but I don't cry. I do argue though, but never violently.

GildaTheGriffin

Jul 4, 2012
denseWorm said:
I didn't like how he overstated the 'insults', he basically accused them of the same level of disrespect as the danish guy who drew Mohammad wearing a bomb shaped turban, I mean fair enough they put an Islamic picture in a bathroom but did the guy have to list off all the ways in which his religion was insulted?

I don't belong to any religion - and neither am I anti-religion - frankly I go entire weeks without once thinking about religion, but it's just pretty typical that this kid would say those things. When I was a catholic I don't think i would have accused Sin City's representation of a corrupt priest as being insulting - to the point of nausea - to me, my family, my religion, my beliefs, my people. Seriously, overstating these kinds of things things and daring others to disagree with you is exactly what leads to conflict - physical, mental and martial.
I will agree with you. Though Muslims don't want to cause conflict, they are just uneducated of how to act civilized and have a since of judgement. There principles are very sadistic and remain to have people cower in fear in respect of their prophet. Muslims are a bane to this world, if they don't start acting with a sense of morality or a sense of mind, the world will turn on them and wipe them out.

*Sigh* Why can't there be a person out there that can teach them differently?

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
Offended? So what? Don't buy it. It's a free world (and where it isn't, it should be). Shame on Activision for caving so easily.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
lancar said:
Insomniac55 said:
*snip* Think about it... they haven't just said 'We'll make a patch and remove the texture', they've actually gone to the extent of pulling the map 'till the patch is ready.

It's almost like people are getting scared of offending the Muslims.
Yeah. It's almost like there're previous examples of Muslims taking things the wrong way.

... and I almost percieve the closing of this comment section as well, if given a little time ;)

Ah, religion and politics; how I dislike them both.
I don't think of it as 'muslims' taking things the wrong way.

It's more like a society that doesn't understand how western entertainment and capitalism works that also just happen to be muslim.

Remember they live in a country where everything is controlled by the government...it's difficult for them to perceive a free society. That with false information they may think it was actually 'authorised' by our governments and is simply another attack on them. Remember there is constant coverage of drone attacks killing innocents in that area of the world.

So when anything happens it's like another insult. Then they have their own versions of relatively right wing movements that thrive on this.

ps. Smite is a hypocritical piece of rubbish from unimaginative uneducated uncultured people that can't make their own characters and don't understand the difference between a current religion of a billion people and greek mythology

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Khada said:
Offended? So what? Don't buy it. It's a free world (and where it isn't, it should be). Shame on Activision for caving so easily.
This is capitalism. A group of people said they don't like something in the game. A portion of their perspective audience are muslims living in countries with access to consoles.

COD want their game to be available there and want people to buy it..and they know if this group boycotts a game they will actually boycott it and not pretend like most gamers that cry about online passes, day one dlc but still go out and buy it.

Instead of whining about one group 'getting their way' we should organise ourselves and actually boycott rubbish we are unhappy with..so we can get our way too!