"Mutual Combat Laws" Let Superhero Trounce Racist

Jun 16, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Who's to say that the guy wouldn't have sucker punched Jones as he backed off? That guy knew he was screwed after the second kick to his leg. And to be fair to Jones they guy "gave up" at 7:15 of the video. Jones decked him at 7:17.
So you're saying it's fair to suckerpunch someone who has given up and dropped their guard if there's a possibility they're only pretending to surrender?

To me, an experienced professional fighter dominating a rowdy amateur (both physically and with verbal taunts) until he gives up, and then proceeding to rough him up for good measure, just seems like a dick move. If not criminal assault, as it would be classed in most countries (or states, even).

Vigilantism is a can of worms in its own right, too.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
James Joseph Emerald said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Who's to say that the guy wouldn't have sucker punched Jones as he backed off? That guy knew he was screwed after the second kick to his leg. And to be fair to Jones they guy "gave up" at 7:15 of the video. Jones decked him at 7:17.
So you're saying it's fair to suckerpunch someone who has given up and dropped their guard if there's a possibility they're only pretending to surrender?

To me, an experienced professional fighter dominating a rowdy amateur (both physically and with verbal taunts) until he gives up, and then proceeding to rough him up for good measure, just seems like a dick move. If not criminal assault, as it would be classed in most countries (or states, even).

I'm trying to look up the law now. I don't know what the conditions are to end the fight. In "Fight" by Eugene S. Robinson, there's an account of a Brazilian Jiujitsu student who killed a man but wasn't charged because the fight was "mutual combat."

Either way, I think Phoenix was well within his rights to finish the fight that his opponent was begging for.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:

You can call it a sucker punch all you want, but if you think that getting decked within 2 seconds after dropping your hands in a fight is unfair, that tells me you've probably haven't been in a lot of fights. Growing up in the inner city I can tell you, the "honourable fight" is a feel good idea.

Most fights are not fair. This was not the UFC or boxing, and the cops fully expected a KO from one side. Its not like Jones wound up for a haymaker either. It was a quick shot to the jaw. The punch came so quickly after the guy saying, "I give up", the whole sucker punch argument is negligable.

A better example would have been if Jones had hit the guy while his guard was down a for a few seconds and not just barely a second and a half like in the video. Calling it that a sucker punch is really reaching here.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ProtoChimp said:
Why did he take his mask off? Did the cops make him?
Hiding your identity with a mask is technically illegal, they probably did ask him to take it off.

OT:This reminds me of the rapper know as "The Game" videotaping himself beating another rapper up whilst recording it with his iPhone in one hand while slugging the guy with the other. That video was like watching a 1st person match of Fight Night.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
sweet I'm gonna dress up in my super villain costume and go sell drugs now, and run red lights (sinister laugh)

Jun 16, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
You can call it a sucker punch all you want, but if you think that getting decked within 2 seconds after dropping your hands in a fight is unfair, that tells me you've probably haven't been in a lot of fights. Growing up in the inner city I can tell you, the "honourable fight" is a feel good idea.
Oh yeah?! Well I grew up in a quiet suburb in a country which is 90% agricultural farmland. And, well, I was going to turn that into an ironic joke, but now that I think about it, it's really fucking dangerous where I live. We've had several murders, including a gang-related assassination, several drug busts, one of my friends was nearly killed when randomly attacked with a glass bottle, and two more of my friends were beaten and mugged by four scumbags right outside their house.

Though I'll concede I've never been in a real fight.

Then again, I don't think you can really call the fight in that video "real" either. Not that it was staged, but real fights certainly don't look like that.
This was more of a "duel", which seems a bit more subject to rules of fairness. Especially if done within the law.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
redmoretrout said:
Am I the only one uncomfortable with a costumed mad man wandering the streets look for a fight?
To be honest, those two guys (especially the smaller one) were looking for trouble too. In my country, I've had the same situation happen to me, where a bunch of guys just decided that they need to beat someone up. Without any provocation. So if he stays on the side of "beating people up because they asked for it" I'm allright with this.
Then again, I don't think you can really call the fight in that video "real" either. Not that it was staged, but real fights certainly don't look like that.
This was more of a "duel", which seems a bit more subject to rules of fairness. Especially if done within the law.
Yes, fights tend to get more messier when there are no rules and it's not one-on-one. This said, he throws some mighty fine kicks in there. Still jumps around like those kick-boxers do, but he has some form.

Even though it's kind off cool, it's still sad to see people resort to physical violence.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
The loud-mouthed little prick that took his shirt off: I have never wanted to see someone get knocked out so much...

Jan 27, 2011
Hahaha! Go go Pheonix!

I love how the gang is going all "BAWWW CHEAP SHOT!!". Like they wouldn't have done any if they'd have had the chance.

A stupid thug fought a bigger fish...and got eaten. It's like that Casey story all over again. You pick fights, you risk poking the sleeping dragon in the eye.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Oooh, real life super hero!

**watches video**

Damn! ^^ I think I have a crush on Phoenix Jones now. That wasn't just awesome, it was sexy awesome. Plus that uniform - did it look that awesome before? I remember it being more Kick-Ass and less Avengers.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
Plus that uniform - did it look that awesome before? I remember it being more Kick-Ass and less Avengers.
Haha, that Phoenix...I've been subscribed to his newsfeed on Facebook for some time now. Apparently, he ran a fundraising drive over the summer (think it was something like $5000) to get new body armor. He's awesome.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
crazyrabbits said:
Haha, that Phoenix...I've been subscribed to his newsfeed on Facebook for some time now. Apparently, he ran a fundraising drive over the summer (think it was something like $5000) to get new body armor. He's awesome.
I'd fund that Kickstarter!

That was supposed to be sexual innuendo, but I'm not sure it really worked out as such....

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
This needs to be a universal law. If the guy happens to be an MMA fighter, your fault for screwing with them.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Fasckira said:
I don't understand why they called 911 though? Here in the UK you only call 911 if its an emergency,
.................. wait...... we call 911 in the UK?

News to me.
Of course not but I used 911 as a label rather than stating the exact number as I expected I'd get more posts asking what the hell 999 was ;)

Also, Im under the impression that apparently 911 does work in the UK but unwilling to try it.