MW3 Dev Manipulates MetaCritic, Gets Flamed to Death

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Seems like MetaCritic really needs to start enforcing some standards on its user reviews. First we have some newbie TellTale employees getting busted because most people who use the site seem to write without any care for proper spelling or grammar, and MW3 has a bunch of 1 and 0 reviews from people who want to flame a popular game? Guess what, it's 2011, hell almost 2012. Time to start making reviews be approved before being posted. Have people that check for proper grammar and that the person writing the review has played the game in question if it's on 360, PS3, or a PC service like Steam that gives you a profile. If you can't be assed to write properly, or more importantly, if you clearly have not played the game, your review is not made public.

Soviet Heavy said:
So in order to combat review bombing by people who don't say anything about the game and mark it as zero, he's asking people to lie and give it the opposite score?
What part of him asking fans to "be honest" did you not comprehend?

BoredRolePlayer said:
So if EA had asked people to give Spore a high rating on Amazon because people gave the game a 1 just because of the DRM (as stupid as the DRM was it is doesn't reflect the game itself) would you guys will be saying it's fine for them to ask people to give honest reviews? If you can say yes I can take what you say seriously about what this guy did (I think both should keep their noses out to be honest).
DRM absolutely does reflect the game itself. The DRM is part of the package and it's absolutely fair to give the product a low rating on a site like Amazon. Amazon isn't a game review site, it's just a giant online store, and the reviews there are for the entire product. People there have every right to give a low score based on the DRM to warn off other customers about it.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Seems like MetaCritic really needs to start enforcing some standards on its user reviews. First we have some newbie TellTale employees getting busted because most people who use the site seem to write without any care for proper spelling or grammar, and MW3 has a bunch of 1 and 0 reviews from people who want to flame a popular game? Guess what, it's 2011, hell almost 2012. Time to start making reviews be approved before being posted. Have people that check for proper grammar and that the person writing the review has played the game in question if it's on 360, PS3, or a PC service like Steam that gives you a profile. If you can't be assed to write properly, or more importantly, if you clearly have not played the game, your review is not made public.

Soviet Heavy said:
So in order to combat review bombing by people who don't say anything about the game and mark it as zero, he's asking people to lie and give it the opposite score?
What part of him asking fans to "be honest" did you not comprehend?

BoredRolePlayer said:
So if EA had asked people to give Spore a high rating on Amazon because people gave the game a 1 just because of the DRM (as stupid as the DRM was it is doesn't reflect the game itself) would you guys will be saying it's fine for them to ask people to give honest reviews? If you can say yes I can take what you say seriously about what this guy did (I think both should keep their noses out to be honest).
DRM absolutely does reflect the game itself. The DRM is part of the package and it's absolutely fair to give the product a low rating on a site like Amazon. Amazon isn't a game review site, it's just a giant online store, and the reviews there are for the entire product. People there have every right to give a low score based on the DRM to warn off other customers about it.
1)DRM doesn't reflect on gameplay period, if that was the case then I think every game reviewer should have mentioned the 2 limit install, hell every DRM used should be listed by all game reviewers them. I hate DRM, but it does not reflect the game itself. Doesn't effect graphics, music, or gameplay (my hinder it if the DRM is messing with your computer).

2)I smell I bias here because if you feel people have the right to warn users about it on amazon then I hope you agree the same can apply for a site like metacritic becuase it's just trying to "warn off other customers about it".

3)People who don't even play the game goes "It has DRM so give it one star" even if they never touched the game.

By your logic all game reviewers should mention ALL DRM OF ALL KIND, because it's part of the package. But wait they don't do that, so I guess it's not really that big of a deal then isn't it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
People seem to have a real hatred for COD...for those of you puzzled by this phenomenon, I suggest you google "It's Popular Now It Sucks"

cassiebearRAWR

Mar 12, 2010
I'm sure that a lot of bad reviews are from trolls who hate the CoD franchise. But then there are also people like me who loved the hell out of MW2 and absolutely hate MW3.

Compared to 2, 3 has TERRIBLE map design... so bland, repetitive, claustrophobic, and boring. Enemies spawn behind you and you get shot in the back as often as not. The weapons are very unbalanced (most do way too much damage, except for the shotguns which are awful now), and hip firing is so stupidly accurate at all but long range that you might as well not even waste the fraction of a second ADS-ing most of the time. What used to be a franchise about fast-paced tactical turf wars has devolved into a frantic run-and-gun, running around aimlessly and spraying bullets like a jackass.

Also, who actually cares about Metacritic? If you want an honest opinion (i.e., a review from someone who doesn't have to worry about losing their job because they vilified this year's blockbuster juggernaut game), go to sites like Amazon where you can actually verify if someone bought the game.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
A lot of people saying all he's doing is countering what the idiots clearly review-bombing it for the sake of fanboyism and backlash, and that's true to an extent, but he's the fucking developer, and more to the point a grown man. He's on a completely different level to internet guttersnipes and as a professional you seriously need to be above metacritic trolling bullshit.

Then again, this is just another reason numerical review scores need to eat shit and die completely, sooner rather than later.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Frost27 said:
HURR DURR IT'S COD IT SUCKS DURR

OT: Metacritic's user ratings are a troll pit with explosions waiting to happen. Most of the 0 reviews were probably all EA employees but still. I can't blame him for asking for honest scores to bring up the average from the trolling.
Exactly, it's not like he's getting everyone at Activision to go rate it 10/10, but he's claiming that the score is suspiciously low (which it is), and asking people who follow him on twitter (I do not and I LOVE mw3, so these people have to be pretty big fans) to go to metacritic and review it honestly, he's not even telling them to drop him a 10, but he's asking for fans of his game to help out the abysmal user review that the game has. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's a very fair request.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
He's asking for honesty?

What an absolute monster of a person he is.

He and the various teams the have worked on it put effort into a good (not Game Of The Year material but still a reasonably fun game) game, that I'd give a 7 or 8. So he's perfectly entitled to ask people to rate it honestly.

If he'd asked people "OMG! PPL R HATIN DA GAME. GO 2 METACRITIC N GIVE US 10s!!!!1!" than people may have been justified in complaining but he isn't so, unless they have valid reasons for giving the game 0s (highly unlikely), then they aren't.

PS Some of my brain cells died writing that "OMG" sentence.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
blehh I'm not sure what to say about MW3. I made a lotta jabs at CoD (such as saying how Halo Anniversary and CoD MW3 are both remakes) and such, but then I actually really enjoyed the campaign a whole lot :0 I was really surprised

well okay I didn't BUY the game. just played it at an arcade (can't believe I found a modern gaming arcade near me lol)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so it was 1.7 and it was about right, now he managed to get the users to over-rate it. what has the world came to!