MW3 Minor Spoiler, (A Death scene)

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
No where near as contraversal as many, many, other games, movies etc and where is the name change? Seriously, you know whats worse then there being a lazy cliche in a massively hyped up game? Having it spoilt early so I now know what to expect. COD doesn't have much going for it in the story, so every little bit lost is pretty annoying to me...

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Infernai said:
How has nobody mentioned the Leonards Regret mission from Drakengard yet? It involves child soldiers and you play as a mass murdering sociopath. You get one guess as to what you have to do as the mission objective

Compared to what you had to do there, this is pretty fucking tame...plus, last i checked, Drakengard didn't get any flak for that mission so i guess i don't see why Cod gets called out on it.
Man I loved that game!

Isn't there an ending where you have to kill giant flying babies that are devouring everybody???

...and don't you get brutally killed in all the endings? I don't think I found one where I lived happily ever after...

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Wow! You are really over stating it. She exploded in a dramatic way, while I expected some strange men with accent to jump out of that truck, yell,"INFIDELS!" and shoot the girl the face.
Way over stated!

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
I for one am glad that some games are willing to push the boundary on "what is right and what is wrong".

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
MW2 had "No Russian", where you helped wipe out an entire airport full of civilians and start WW3.

Black Ops had you shove a piece of glass into someone's mouth and then punch him in the face.

And MW3 has three random civilians(one of whom is a kid) getting blown up by a random truck bomb.

If this is an attempt to create controversy, I'm really not impressed.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
whenever "controversy" and call of duty come up in the same sentence it reminds me of the time i failed the nuke scene in modern warfare because i was too stupid to climb out of the helicopter so all i saw of the devastation was the black inside and the vaguely red/orange sky through the door. Than i died.

on topic. so a kid vanishes in green smoke. there were people hunting me down for actively killing children in fallout 2.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
It's pointless and stupid. Modern Warfare 3 is just trying to make itself appear more gritty and visceral than it actually is by adding in meaningless moments where people die. If this is ACTUALLY part of the game, then I'm definitely not going to buy it since they'll probably be using this same tactic multiple times throughout the singleplayer.

crazeekamikazee

Jan 6, 2011
when I first watched it, my mate was round my house and he asked "is she gonna die" I said "no kids aren't allowed to die in ga--*BANG*" I was so shocked and then we cracked up, timing was perfect. ^_^

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
... Thank god, only american women and children were killed. I'd have had real trouble feeling any sympathy for them had they been any other nationality. I mean they definitely couldn't just be english, because then who would give a shit?

In case it isn't clear, I dislike that video intensely on many levels.

SirLOLWTFBBQ

Dec 31, 2010
The teaser in Dead Island was 10x harder to swallow than this.

You don't even see the body after. I don't see what the big controversy is.

e; Been here for a year. Finally started posting. Can anyone tell me why the hell my avatar is broken? It's 65x65.

Lucifus

Dec 3, 2008
I don't understand why the media are pissy about this. Children die all around the world every day (and normally shown on the news), its already in films and other media but just because its a game it gets a bad rep?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Dead Island trailer anyone?

I'm sure getting chased down the corridor by zombies and then jumping out a 2 or 3 story building is a lot more unsettling than being instantly vaporised.

If I had to pick one, I would choose the nuke please.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
It's an unfortunate truth of war. Innocent people including children are often involved when they shouldn't be. Video games should be able to talk about any subject like any other mass medium.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Honestly, all I see here is someone trying to show the horrors of war, and like Metal Gear Solid, it does a crappy job of doing so, because you just gunned down about 20 terrorists.
What relevance does this scene pose? Is it just there, trying to mean something? Why should I care about these people? Is it my wife and child, or is it just some random guy? Now, if beforehand we had a sequence where we got to know the woman and the child, and at least know who they are, it would achieve a lot more that it supposedly does.
Well, at least Call of Duty tried to flesh something out for once.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I swear they must say to the development team for each installment: 'Right guys, I want you to add more explosions that hit you and more bits where you get knocked to the floor. There needs to be a minimum of one per level because people love to see the same recycled shit over and over and besides it's so dramatic!'

Anyhow the clip is a failure, just like No Russian. Didn't provoke any emotional response just seemed like a try too hard attempt to be shocking.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Is it a bad thing that my first thought was when the mom and kid exploded right after she said she gets that from you my first thought was. What exploding?

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
OH GODS! NOT THE BIRDS!

In all honesty, this will SOMEHOW spark controversy, because the media love that. The video itself is just...meh, not even that emotional, unless there's backstory on these characters, it's not even worth having in there, just filler, an attempt to tug at heartstrings with nothing.

biggles1

Sep 1, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Meh, it was only a tourist.

In all seriousness, that didn't seem too bad. Like someone else said earlier, MW1 nuked a city where tons of unseen children died. Homefront killed a kid's parents right in front of...it which I found to be in poorer tastes. This wasn't as funny as I would have thought though so I guess this was just a fail all around. I don't see why the father died though, maybe he dropped the camera in shock but he seemed far enough away from the blast radius to have lived.
I have to agree with you on the homefront one, That scene actually made me have to pause the game and take a moment away from it. I hate seeing physical and mental suffering, especially in kids.

At least in this, as people say, you don't actually see anything. It's a quick, painless affair.