MW3 no different than MW2....(some MW3 gameplay)

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Shakaar9267 said:
This is nothing more then MW2 repackaged.
Activision knows that people will buy this no matter what, so why take the risk on something new? Make the more money with less effort.

Yeah, I'm done with CoD for now. I may go back if MW4 has something resembling 'innovation'.
Sorry to single you out (it was the Silent Hill movie avatar, serously, if you liked that film then it kinda makes this a 'pot calling the kettle black' situation here).

You don't think this is anything more than a repackaged MW2 most likely because you aren't a CoD fan, it's understandable if you didn't give the video more than a surface glance and elected that because it looks graphically similar that it must be similar.

It's fine if you aren't interested in MW3 (no-one's saying you have to be) but it would be unfair to say that the Modern Warfare series hasn't had anything in the way of innovation over time. Just look at CoD4 and MW2, both look very similar (both use the same engine I believe) and have very similar gameplay but you'd be outright in denial if you tried to claim that there had been no change or advancements between the two (MW2 added more choices, variety and flexability to the game, it also changed the levelling up system slightly to increase the speed at which you level so that it's less of an uphill battle to unlock the fancier weapons, a problem I frequently had with World at War).

So based on that is it fair to say that MW3 (a game neither of us have played) will be exactly the same as MW2 just because there are some recurring weapons in it?

That'd be like saying games like Silent Hill and Bioshock are instantly boring and not worth paying attention to because they don't involve terrorists or space marines (overall, you're essentially making the same judgement).

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Well everyone seems happy enough to pay £40 for 16 maps, so why not 16 maps and a load of new guns?

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
There are some things I wished while playing MW2, me being a scout ninja and all and about 90% of them not only happened but happened the right way with this reveal. I will be trading GOW III and MW2 for this one. I haven't bought the DLC for MW2 so I got money to spend.

Really fed up with the -looks like MW2- jokes. But it's the trend so, whatever. I didn't hear anyone complain about Valve using the same engine for the better half of a decade. IW found a formula that works and stuck with it. Is there something wrong about that ?

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
AmrasCalmacil said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Radeonx said:
Well...it is using the same engine (I believe), so it being MW2 with different guns and different settings makes sense. Still looks fun to me.
Lol, not even different guns, I still see everyone using the UMP45.
OH NO! MODERN WEAPONRY IN A MODERN SETTING?

STOP THE PRESSES!

Still, is anyone really shocked by this? CoD's gameplay has been the same for ages, and it works, its fun.
Still, I'm not buying it new until the price has dropped. Especially not after Kotick's UK price hike.
What bastard plan has he devised for us Limeies?

But anyway, it's really too similar, when I buy a sequel, I want fixes of things that didn't work, one or two things may have changed, but it feels like an update.

And I noticed that the 'Points Streak' is basically Killstreaks all without the sexy name.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
AmrasCalmacil said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Radeonx said:
Well...it is using the same engine (I believe), so it being MW2 with different guns and different settings makes sense. Still looks fun to me.
Lol, not even different guns, I still see everyone using the UMP45.
OH NO! MODERN WEAPONRY IN A MODERN SETTING?

STOP THE PRESSES!

Still, is anyone really shocked by this? CoD's gameplay has been the same for ages, and it works, its fun.
Still, I'm not buying it new until the price has dropped. Especially not after Kotick's UK price hike.
What bastard plan has he devised for us Limeies?

But anyway, it's really too similar, when I buy a sequel, I want fixes of things that didn't work, one or two things may have changed, but it feels like an update.

And I noticed that the 'Points Streak' is basically Killstreaks all without the sexy name.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Man, hutch looks like he needs a haircut and a few hours in the gym.

Anyway, yeah it does look like MW2 with all the corners cut off. I do like how they don't spray that jelly on your screen when you're getting shot and instead concentrate on showing you where you're being shot from. Also MW2 was a good game, if it's just that without the noob tubes or boosters I might pick it up, if I'm not too busy with battlefield that is.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
Well then play MW2. Why should you have to fork out $60 for what is the essentially a map pack then?
People made that 'why am I paying full price for what is essentially an expansion pack?' arguement for Halo 3: ODST but I played it at a friends and thought it wasn't too bad (it had a full campaign, added new game modes and included all of the map packs for those of us who don't have the spare cash to get them seperately, overall it was a pretty good deal) so that petty arguement rings a bit hollow to me.

I'd argue that this probably will amount to more than 'just a map pack', after all, we have a campaign included (I've also heard there will be a return of Special Ops as well as a survival mode of some kind), will most likely have new additions to the arsenal avaliable to us in multiplayer (as well as new perks, equipment and killstreaks) and will probably feature a few tweaks and changes to fix some of the balance issues found in previous games.

Overall this doesn't really sound like 'essentially a map pack' and does cross into what I would call a full game, otherwise, does this mean I can rip into Left 4 Dead 2 for essentially doing nothing but adding a few levels and melee weapons?

That one was an expansion pack marketed as a full game.

What you are saying is that it's fine to just completely milk a series and never change because it may "scare" the fan base.
That's not what I said at all, there are changes that make sense and actually add to the experience the player is expecting (new weapons, maps, equipment, campaign, killstreaks, perks etc.) and then there are changes which come from completely out of left field, sure, they're 'innovative and unique' but at the same time probably wouldn't add much to the game.

That way we never innovate anything and it's just the same thing over and over again. I would be interested in MW3 if they were taking whole new things to the game, to try and push boundaries of FPS.
And what exactly are your suggestions to 'push the boundries of FPS' (whatever the hell that is actually supposed to mean, these are shooting games, not post-modern abstract art) and what innovations would catch your attention?

Because, frankly, if you're going to complain about a lack of innovation but have no actual suggestions as to what would be innovative then it sounds to me like you're just looking for something to complain about.

The way I see it with that multiplayer video, which it wasn't it was just another cutscene.
To me it just looked like multiplayer (did you not like the bit with the chicken? Is that it?) although maybe we just have different definitons of what a cut-scene is.

Right now I'm only seeing this with BF3.
How exactly? I'm not even paying attention to BF3 to be honest, Bad Company 2 sort of turned me off of the Battlefield series, my first experience with it and it's first chance to try and impress me and...it openly ripped off of Modern Warfare 2 (it was the joke in the jungle level about the special forces guys with fancy heartbeat monitors on their guns that kinda tipped me off to the fact that they were trying to be clever about it...and failed completely).

If CoD could try and mix it up more with their games like with Blops (good ideas, poor execution) I'd certainly buy it.
Again, examples of what you thought were good advancements. It doesn't add any validity to your arguement to just say 'it was unoriginal', why was it unoriginal? What would you add to freshen it up? What potential issues would your additions have? How would you sell your idea to Infinity Ward? (if you must, pretend that I'm Robert Kotick)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
TinyMAG said:
Dice's Battlefield is the Grandfather of all online multilayer everywhere. We would not have multilayer as we understand it today and I will always thank Dice for that. That being said, few games/brands are as great for the local multi-player parties in the man-cave as CoD:MW. But I digress...
Actually... Quake started it all. Without that game, there wouldn't even be an engine for every single COD ever created. And Battlefield wasn't even the first multiplayer military shooter, I think it started with Counter-Strike, a freakin' mod for Half-Life that gained immense popularity. And even before CS, there was Delta Force. Battlefield may have been the first military shooter using vehicles, but hardly the first multiplayer online game.

Do your homework.

OT: Meh, not interested in either BF or COD and the footage looks pretty much the same to me.

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
Honestly if they dident have the 3 next to the name they could leek the entire multyplayer and call it a expansion and noone would even be the wiser that its ment to be a entire new game and that in itself is kinda sad

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Don't fix what isn't broken. For the most part MW2 wasn't broken.
I thought it was universally accepted that MW2 was the most broken CoD, i mean there was no sense of balance at all. People said it was fun, not in working order.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
funguy2121 said:
Let's get a fund going; maybe we can get "kootra" laid. The chicken thing WAS pretty funny, though.
Dunno if there's any irony in this post, but kootra's video is a complete parody.

Also he has a fiancée.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
That's not true. The one handed sprinting looks a lot sillier now.
They'd have to work pretty hard to top the silliness of the old sprinting animation.

OT: The old saying "If it ain't broke, re-package it and sell it again," comes to mind, not to say Modern Warfare 2 wasn't completely broken.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
baddude1337 said:
Okay, I expected it to be not too different, this is Call of Duty after all. But seriously..this looks more like a mod or add-on than a full on sequel. I hope it doesn't sell as great as the last ones so they'll realize they can't just rehash the same game every year.
I agree, but I'm not so sure it even looks like a mod. I admit, I haven't seen much of it, but what I've seen of MW3 looks like nothing but a map pack for MW2, with one, maybe two, new guns.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
AkaDad said:
So, different story and different setting means it's not different. I learn something new everyday.
CoD's story sucks anyways.

OT: I'm tempted to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but I'm sure most people will agree that MW2's multiplayer was broken...

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
So far the only games that are in my sights are Battlefield 3, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, and Ace Combat Assault Horizon. Modern Warfare 3 has yet to prove its worth because as of right now it looks like it should have been DLC for Modern Warfare 2. Even the Campaign demo shown at E3 was disappointing to me.

the spud said:
It will still sell ,like, 20 million copies. On launch.

People just don't like change, simple as that.
Especially if they are Halo or Call of Duty Fans.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
It's about time someone made a realistic military-based online-focused first person shooter! complete with gun upgrades, attachments, and perks! Holy Moonwalkers! it even has capture the flag! AND you can even dual-wield! Next thing you know you'll be able to customize what you look like too. Did they do that too?! ...I need to lay down.

I've been waiting for this kind of game forever now! What took them so long?

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
Wait, they took MW2, which was (and still is) great, and basically gave us more of what we loved about it with fancier graphics?

Great. I'll be preordering.