My Activision Boycott/Starcraft II Dilemma

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
If you're boycotting Activision, then don't buy anything Activision. (Whether it is or not depends on your interpretation apparently.)

All this will prove however is that you weren't strong enough (or didn't believe enough) in your boycott in the first place.

Starting up a boycott and then buckling when a game you want comes out is pointless, either boycott it or don't. Either your principles matter or they don't. If you really believed in it, you'd say no to StarCraft II until Activision amended their ways.

Its frankly disgusting how many people trivialize your boycott, saying 'ahh it doesn't work'...well no it doesn't because people AREN'T boycotting anything.

If you want the game, get it, but that means no more bitching about Activision because you've just invested in them.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
SimuLord said:
Principles do not magically dissolve in "oooh, new shiny thing!"

Either stick to your boycott and don't buy the game or buy the game and get off your high horse because you forfeited the right to complain about Activision/Blizzard's business practices. You can't have it both ways, so make a choice.

Damn kids today, no wonder this country's fucked.
This, there is nothing about this statement that I disagree with.

Seriously, if you actually think your boycott is anything more than another drop in the entitlement fed river of self-righteous, self-important rage that seems to define videogamers as a whole, then now is the time to put up or shut up. The test of your personal strength. If you really let your principles be broken for a "new shiny thing" then you should never take up any cause again because you will be a liability to the people who take it seriously.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Xzi said:
Boycotts don't work. L4D2 and MW2 proved that. There, do what you want.
Don't kid yourself, the last thing any company wants are people who are actively telling others to not buy their products.

If you don't like how a gaming company acts or what they do with their products, then the only logical, ethical, and legal solution is to not do any business with them. No, not even piracy works here, because that implies that you want their products and thus, their business.

baronholbach

Aug 10, 2010
Hey, i've been reading boards on the escapist for a long time, but this one finally convinced me to sign up for an account and comment. Activision is one of the few truly boycottable players in the video game industry right now. They are rapidly shifting the climate to one where consumers are just going to get more and more screwed. Blizzard may have made SC 2, but they are now the same corporation as Activision (Nasdaq: ATVI) and consumers for any of their games will be bullied into any ridiculous scenario that can improve the shareholders' bottom line.

I'm not sure if it's possible to play used copies of SC2 with the DRM system that is set up, but that seems like it would be an OK solution if you really want to play the game. Other than that, if something feels wrong to you, it probably is: stick to your guns with the boycott! It may not affect anything, but it is indeed a matter of principle. There are tons of other great games out there (even though Starcraft is probably one of the best...)

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
All I can say is stop being an idiot and buy games. Boycotting games just because Activision has something to do with it is childish and stupid. Lots of people at companies have had to do a lot of work making a game for people to enjoy and they need the games to sell so that they can keep their jobs. Luckily for them though Gamers suck at boycotting, look at Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
crotalidian said:
Milo Windby said:
Now I agree that perhaps Activision is not one of the best companies ever, however do you really think that by not buying stuff from them you are going to make them change their ways?

Look, if you really want to play SC2 just got for it. Activision really is not the one who you need to even bother if something goes wrong, its Blizzard. So why even worry about it?

Also, I have played games with Activision on the box but still enjoy the game. Why would you deny yourself a game just because Activision is on the box?
Its a principle. I have no right to complain about the way a company operates if I go out and but their stuff anyway. Complaining and not taking action are the worst possible combinations.
Asked and answered ... you didn't need us after all!

Seriously, who gives a rats ass? Do you want to play the game badly enough to jump through the hoops then do it.

If your questioning it and stand by your principles don't do it.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Blizzard has too much power (also known as money) for Activision to have any say in what they do. There's a reason why it was a merger instead of a purchase.

Also, why is it no one has brought up the guest mode? When you fire up the game the first time you much assign the CD-key to your battle.net account. After that, all you have to do is play as a guest. This is the game's offline mode. Sure you'll have no access to multiplayer or the achievements but if you really, really don't want to be online every time you play, the option is there.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Starcraft 2 isn't all that really, Company of Heroes is so much better it isn't even funny. Really the only reason to play Starcraft 2 is the multiplayer won't be completely overrun with frothing obsessives for a few more days so you might be able to squeeze in a few games of multiplayer before it explodes into 300apm craziness at every league. If you don't have Company of Heroes and you're having this dilemma then shame on you, shame!

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Worgen said:
Flames66 said:
Worgen said:
ehh really the only problem with avoiding sc2 is that it launched in the summer instead of near xmas so there arnt many other games around right now, but if you like rts games at all then just go buy dawn of war 1/2 or company of heroes, or world in conflict or something from steam, I dont think any of thoes are over 20 bucks and they will solve the problem of wanting to play sc2
There's plenty of games around, they just aren't brand new. The last new game I bought was GTA 4 when it was released last month.
they arnt new but that doesnt mean they arnt good, it means they will cost less and personally I think dow 2 graphically is better looking then sc2, same with world in conflict
I haven't played either so I can't really comment on that. Personally if I want to play an RTS I go back to the Age of Empires or Command and Conquer series.

sivlin

Feb 8, 2010
I would choose a different game to boycott. Starcraft 2 is AMAZING. Besides, in a mere 24 hours, Stracraft 2 sold more copies than every other game has this year; making it worthless to boycott since they obviously know they released a quality product due to the massive amount of people buying it. And besides.. this, unlike a large majority of the games I've played, is actually worth the money I spent on it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
As far as I can tell, Blizz is still keeping the Kotick tendrils away from their games.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Pay money for what works. If you like Blizzard, buy their products and Activision should change their approach eventually.

Also, buy Starcraft II. You have to play it.

Glic2003

Dec 24, 2008
I thought the campaign got off to a slow start. The first few missions used exactly the same units from Starcraft. A bit underwhelming.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
crotalidian said:
OK I think it has been established that Starcraft II is a good (fantastic?) game. As such I want to play SCII.

My dilemma comes in the fact that I am currently refusing to purchase anything that Activision has a stake in as their practices are so anti-consumer.

I also refuse to pay premium game prices only to be forced to be online (or jump through asinine arbitrary hoops) in order to be able to play the content I have paid for. Obviously that is single player and mutli by definition is an online game.

I'm hoping the Escapist community can help me out with this so I can make a decision based on facts and opinions of educated gamers.

so convince me either way....NOW. I COMMAND IT!
It's like this:

One of the reasons why the gaming industry does not change and engages in the practices it does is because people wind up buying their products anyway. People complain about the hoops they have to jump through, cash gouging DLC, and everything else, but typically after they have already purchused a product. If you go "ooh shiny" every time they wave the next big product in front you, and run out to buy the game, why should they bother to change? Your like a cash bag addicted to heroin (and games are your heroin). This is exactly why they focus on "Triple A" titles (there are no small titles for them to lose thieir money on as you 'teach them a lesson' allegedly through something you really didn't care about), and one of the reasons why Bobby Kotick can act like he does, and why I think he does it to appeal to other companies and investors: he's counting on the fact that he can act like a complete jerk and people are still going to buy his product. Right now all he has to do is point to his current behavior, and then point to "Starcraft II" sales figures. Whether or not "Activision" actually dictates policy to "Blizzard" is more or less irrelevent since they own it and are going to be getting the profits. Giving "Blizzard" the independance they posses is a profit motivated desician more than anything.

If you want other reasons, consider that they also did things like increase the price $10 over what PC software normally retails for. You buy this it proves that people will buy a "AAA" title for the extra $10 and encourage a coordinated price raise.

On top of this, consider that the game also seems to have been deceptively marketed. From what I'm reading a lot of people didn't realize that there was only one "Campaign" included in the game and it doesn't tell the full story. Perhaps this was on the internet and game sites somewhere, but a lot of people were irritated about this when they actually purchused the product. People could have been enforced of this en-masse but probably weren't for a reason. So what this means is that your ultimatly paying $10 more than normal for part of a product. Sort of like taking a three hour movie, and cutting it into 90 minute chunks so you can sell two admission tickets and make twice as much money off of it, though in this case they seem to be slicing it into three parts. Buy into this, it encourages similar behavior.

What's more Starcraft 2 was also being presented as having this epic budget, that's part of a marketing gimmick nowadays because people figure "if they are spending that much money, it must be good", it wasn't until after release that we were hearing that the game didn't actually take all *that* much money to produce, and while what is there is impressive it's also not the full package people were expecting, and had that belief reinforced by the amount of money being spent.

Agree or disagree, these are all arguements that can be made for why you shouldn't buy the product. Note that they have very little to do with the game itself, which is apparently quite good.

The people screaming "you should buy it" and the pressure to play online while everyone is currently doint it, nd it's "hot" are things the companies are relying on. They are akin to the voices of the devil. I think you (and many others) know you shouldn't be supporting it, and figure "well I'll pass on the next one" but at the same time you probably deep down inside figure you won't, and in the end that is what keeps Activision and other companies doing the things they are doing right now.

Things have to start out small, right now "Starcraft 2" has already sold a ton, however if you want to make a differance be one of the first people to say 'no' keep at it with the next few products no matter how awesome, and take the high ground that you also passed on other products. Communicate skepticism at claims made about games before release, especially when the company is playing it's cards close to it's chest, and understand that if you don't rush out to buy the products with the raising prices and get enough people to do the same, companies will slowly come around to lowering prices to a more reasonable level.

-

Oh and for the record, I have defended "Starcraft 2" in other threads, however since I'm not a huge RTS fanatic (despite having enjoyed the original quite a bit) it wasn't that big a deal for me, I figure I'd get it in a year or so for less money in all likelyhood.

That said other games (ironically in a similar genere) like Ubisoft's latest "Settlers" game which I had every intention of buying were games I rallied the will power to not purchuse due to company policies.

At any rate here is the best arguement I can make for why you shouldn't buy it. :)

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
Get it used. Activision won't see a penny of your money. If you're against used games, then decide the lesser of two evils.

jojoemon

May 20, 2008
Yeah, it may sound strange, but pirating the game might actually be a solution for you. Afterall, you wouldn't be able to get on the battle net, but it sounds like that doesn't matter to you anyway. And then no gaming company will get your money. Which means you'll be screwing Blizzard (albeit, only slightly; they're huge). On the other hand, you can feel good about not helping Activision. Or, you could give up your one-man boycott. Or you could reason "It's really Blizz's game, not Activision's. Or you could not get the game. There are so many darn options!

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm ignorant of most of the facts in terms of the merger, but I'd say that as a WOW player, and WOW still being as good as it ever was, Kotick's not managed to screw that up, so maybe he doesn't have much say in Blizzard's way of doing things, or surely Cataclysm would have already been out, half done, and we'd be charged $10 per patch to fix the bugs.