My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Mrsoupcup said:
Also I suppose you feel these parents were wronged:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2152679/New-Jersey-parents-named-children-Adolf-Hitler-Aryan-Nation-back.html
Is this name discussions version of Godwin's Law?

Anyway, there's a huge difference between naming someone Tali compared to naming them Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation, everyone knows Adolf Hitler was a mass murderer, with Tali they'll either think it's inspired by the real life hebrew name Tali, or they have played Mass Effect and will think "cool"

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
Mrsoupcup said:
shatnuh said:
I'm not dismissing bullying, I'm saying that there are way worse forms of bullying than making fun of your name. What would you have her parents do instead? Name her like a dog? Every parent has the right to name their child. It's the right they get for making the child in the first place.
But you are dismissing her being bullied, your saying "hey it could be worse deal with it".

Children die because of that attitude.

Also that attitude of "its my kid I'll do what I want" is possessive and abusive.
You aren't naming your pokemon or some shit you're naming another living thinking feeling person.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2152679/New-Jersey-parents-named-children-Adolf-Hitler-Aryan-Nation-back.html
Alright, no. It's not okay to name your child after Adolf Hitler. That is obvious. Just like you can't name your child Akuma in Japan. I get it. But, regardless, the parents had every right to do that. They're shitbags, to be sure, but rights can be abused. I don't think OP is abusing his right to name his child. Not even in the slightest.

And how is it possessive and abusive? Like, your friends mom purposefully named her child to get picked on? That is stupid. And you understand, right, that your parents possess you and your rights until you are a legal adult? Remember when your mom had to sign your permission slips for school? It's because she OWNED your rights as a human being. Be glad she didn't keep you in a box.

And for the record, having your name made fun of hardly constitutes as bullying.

Norks

Jan 21, 2010
GO GO GO! Tali'Zorah is a lovely name, if people have a problem with it that's up to them, but when you look at your child's name in 10 years time would you rather she have a name you both loved, or a name that wasn't your favourite but you chose because you were afraid what people might think?

My Mum wanted to name me Wolf, but my Dad was afraid it was too unusual and I'd be teased. They named me Harry, I was never teased, but they should have gone with Wolf.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
shatnuh said:
Alright, no. It's not okay to name your child after Adolf Hitler. That is obvious. Just like you can't name your child Akuma in Japan. I get it. But, regardless, the parents had every right to do that. They're shitbags, to be sure, but rights can be abused. I don't think OP is abusing his right to name his child. Not even in the slightest.

And how is it possessive and abusive? Like, your friends mom purposefully named her child to get picked on? That is stupid. And you understand, right, that you parent possess you and your rights until you are a legal adult? Remember when your mom had to sign your permission slips for school? It's because she OWNED your rights as a human being. Be glad she didn't keep you in a box.

And for the record, having your name made fun of hardly constitutes as bullying.
There is a big difference between being a legal guardian and owning them. If you can't see that then that's your ignorance.

Also you don't know my friends situation or life, nor do you know the extent to which she has been harassed. I'd appreciate it if you didn't dismiss her situation.

I'm going to choose to ignore "It's because she OWNED your rights as a human being. Be glad she didn't keep you in a box." because it sound like you put zero actual thought into writing that.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Norks said:
GO GO GO! Tali'Zorah is a lovely name, if people have a problem with it that's up to them, but when you look at your child's name in 10 years time would you rather she have a name you both loved, or a name that wasn't your favourite but you chose because you were afraid what people might think?

My Mum wanted to name me Wolf, but my Dad was afraid it was too unusual and I'd be teased. They named me Harry, I was never teased, but they should have gone with Wolf.
Wolf actually sounds better if you ask me than Harry, in my country Wolf is actually a surname, and one which can be traced far back in history, Harry on the other hand, just read this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_%28derogatory_term%29]

No offense of course

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
SNCommand said:
Mrsoupcup said:

Anyway, there's a huge difference between naming someone Tali compared to naming them Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation, everyone knows Adolf Hitler was a mass murderer, with Tali they'll either think it's inspired by the real life hebrew name Tali, or they have played Mass Effect and will think "cool"
I suppose, but naming your child for your sake rather than theirs is selfish as shit regardless of the name.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
shatnuh said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Giving your child a bizarre sounding name after a character from a currently popular videogame? Congratulations you get the Escapist Bad Idea Award.

Really the thing that bothers me the most is how selfish it seems, you clearly gave her this name for yourself, not because it's a name you think she'll like. For all you might know she might never play or be interested in Mass Effect.

It's like if your parent's had named you after Bubsy the bobcat because they were big fans of the early Bubsy games in the early 90s.

It'll probably end up just being shortened to Tali anyway, which is relatively normal. Just please don't name your son Urdnot-Wrex.
How can you call it selfish? What, do you wanna wait for the child to be born to let it give it own input?
Actually that would be ideal, though impractical. I'm calling it selfish because he's choosing a name that's meaningful to HIM but that most people, such as the child herself, will probably find abnormal.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be named after a videogame character, and I'd hate my parents if they named me after one.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Mrsoupcup said:
SNCommand said:
Mrsoupcup said:

I suppose, but naming your child for your sake rather than theirs is selfish as shit regardless of the name.
Naming your child for yours sake rather then theirs is actually the norm, I don't get how you got the idea it's somehow different

Me and the wife have for example decided to either name our child if it is a son Nathaniel because it's a name we both like, or if it's a daughter we have decided to name her Mai because it's the only name which both our respective cultures share, and it's the name of a character from one of our favorite shows when we were young

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
shatnuh said:
And how is it possessive and abusive? Like, your friends mom purposefully named her child to get picked on? That is stupid. And you understand, right, that your parents possess you and your rights until you are a legal adult? Remember when your mom had to sign your permission slips for school? It's because she OWNED your rights as a human being. Be glad she didn't keep you in a box.
My mom possessed me, she owned my rights as human being when I was a kid? And there I thought she was just my guardian, representing my interests until I was old enough to do so myself.

You have a strange understanding of the law. Parents don't own their kids. They don't have the right to do whatever they want with their kids. Parents are granted the right to custody, yes, but if they abuse this right (too much), it is taken away from them again. Kids are not slaves, for God's sake.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
SNCommand said:
Naming your child for yours sake rather then theirs is actually the norm, I don't get how you got the idea it's somehow different

Me and the wife have for example decided to either name our child if it is a son Nathaniel because it's a name we both like, or if it's a daughter we have decided to name her Mai because it's the only name which both our respective cultures share, and it's the name of a character from one of our favorite shows when we were young
Okay well say a more silly name was significant to you, would you still give that name to your child knowing they would forever be harassed and questioned because of it?

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Mrsoupcup said:
SNCommand said:

Okay well say a more silly name was significant to you, would you still give that name to your child knowing they would forever be harassed and questioned because of it?
But no parent would name their child something they find personally silly, OP wants to name the daughter Tali because he and his wife thinks it's a beautiful name

And one can't take into account that someone might dislike it and harass them, one can be harassed for millions of things

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
In western cultues, if a name is at all long or has more than 3 or syllables, then the person is question will probably be subject to ridicule.

Fun fact: My full name? Dyllabelle (Not a real name, the "e" makes it feminine) McPhail (Fail... oh gawd the insults) Muir Simm. Some say my mother was drunk when in labour (which would explain a lot), others say she was just an idiot.

I suppose, what I'm saying poorly, is that a name is a huge part of a person's identity.

So if you're going to call her after a main heroine and probably most popular character (tying with Garrus and Legion because I guess some people are into that) from a series known specifically for its Gainax ending and sinking in quality somewhere along the line, expect a few nights cheering her up.

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
Mrsoupcup said:
shatnuh said:

And how is it possessive and abusive? Like, your friends mom purposefully named her child to get picked on? That is stupid. And you understand, right, that you parent possess you and your rights until you are a legal adult? Remember when your mom had to sign your permission slips for school? It's because she OWNED your rights as a human being. Be glad she didn't keep you in a box.

There is a big difference between being a legal guardian and owning them. If you can't see that then that's your ignorance.

Also you don't know my friends situation or life, nor do you know the extent to which she has been harassed. I'd appreciate it if you didn't dismiss her situation.

I'm going to choose to ignore "It's because she OWNED your rights as a human being. Be glad she didn't keep you in a box." because it sound like you put zero actual thought into writing that.
What, like a philosophical difference? Because no, legally, there isn't much of a difference. You're not property, so you have to be fed and clothed and attend some form of schooling, but outside of that, you belong to your parents. Hell, in some cultures, you're born and by the time you're Five years old, you're working in the fields for your parents. So, while I would agree that there is a large philosophical difference between being a legal guardian and owning the rights to a child, there's not much of a legal one.

And I'm not really speaking to your friend's situation, I'm leveraging your example to bring you a counterpoint. Do YOU, yourself, find her parents to have named her with malicious intent? I have a real hard time believing so. And if she did? I don't get it. Now, if your friend was named "Shithead", I would say "Yeah, that's malicious." Plenty of parents name their kids after names they like. So what?

And that line you choose to ignore? That really happens to people. And it's way worse than your parents naming you after a movie character.

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
OlasDAlmighty said:
shatnuh said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Giving your child a bizarre sounding name after a character from a currently popular videogame? Congratulations you get the Escapist Bad Idea Award.

Really the thing that bothers me the most is how selfish it seems, you clearly gave her this name for yourself, not because it's a name you think she'll like. For all you might know she might never play or be interested in Mass Effect.

It's like if your parent's had named you after Bubsy the bobcat because they were big fans of the early Bubsy games in the early 90s.

It'll probably end up just being shortened to Tali anyway, which is relatively normal. Just please don't name your son Urdnot-Wrex.
How can you call it selfish? What, do you wanna wait for the child to be born to let it give it own input?
Actually that would be ideal, though impractical. I'm calling it selfish because he's choosing a name that's meaningful to HIM but that most people, such as the child herself, will probably find abnormal.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be named after a videogame character, and I'd hate my parents if they named me after one.
Well, to be fair, it was his wife's idea. Soooo...

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
SNCommand said:
Mrsoupcup said:
SNCommand said:
Mrsoupcup said:

See? Exactly! This guy gets it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
SNCommand said:
But no parent would name their child something they find personally silly, OP wants to name the daughter Tali because he and his wife thinks it's a beautiful name

And one can't take into account that someone might dislike it and harass them, one can be harassed for millions of things
Not to jump on you, but most people have said that Tali is probably okay. Tali'Zorah, on the other hand, is selfish and misguided.

Notwithstanding the possibility that the child might be bullied, there are also numerous studies like:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/right-resume-wrong-name/article4274218/

http://ftp.iza.org/dp3873.pdf

http://www.theage.com.au/national/australian-bosses-are-racist-when-its-time-to-hire-20090617-chvu.html

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

Now, most of those studies are focused on racial prejudice, rather than just prejudice against weird sounding names (although most would assume that Tali'Zorah is a foreign name at best), but I'd imagine that there would be some overlap, no?

And of course one can, and probably should, consider other people's reactions to their child's name. Their child is certainly going to consider it. Why wouldn't you? That they might be made fun of for other reasons doesn't seem satisfactory, I'm afraid.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Well I'd probably go crazy when someone asked me for the bajillionth time how the hell you spell that.
Also you don't assume she'll like it, you just hope she will and tell yourself that to feel better about your choice.

But go ahead if you want. I was teased a lot and my name had nothing to do with it, I still don't like my name though.
Kids can find any reason to tease her no matter what name you give her.

So I guess my opinion on this is rather neutral with a bit of cynicism sprinkled on.

oversoon

Oct 12, 2013
I think as long as you like the sound of it independently from the character association then it's a good name. Cali is a normal name... Why not Tali?

My mother is a teacher, and I kid you not, she has a student named "Abcd" (pronounced Absidee)... You did just fine.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Caiphus said:
SNCommand said:

Not to jump on you, but most people have said that Tali is probably okay. Tali'Zorah, on the other hand, is selfish and misguided.

Notwithstanding the possibility that the child might be bullied, there are also numerous studies like:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/right-resume-wrong-name/article4274218/

http://ftp.iza.org/dp3873.pdf

http://www.theage.com.au/national/australian-bosses-are-racist-when-its-time-to-hire-20090617-chvu.html

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

Now, most of those studies are focused on racial prejudice, rather than just prejudice against weird sounding names (although most would assume that Tali'Zorah is a foreign name at best), but I'd imagine that there would be some overlap, no?

And of course one can, and probably should, consider other people's reactions to their child's name. Their child is certainly going to consider it. Why wouldn't you? That they might be made fun of for other reasons doesn't seem satisfactory, I'm afraid.
Tali'Zorah is fairly easy for anyone with the name to just use as Tali though when it's preferred, my uncle likes to change between Jimmy and James whenever he feels like it

And Tali is a hebrew name though and does not carry the same baggage as African and Arabic names in the west

Norks

Jan 21, 2010
SNCommand said:
Norks said:

Wolf actually sounds better if you ask me than Harry, in my country Wolf is actually a surname, and one which can be traced far back in history, Harry on the other hand, just read this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_%28derogatory_term%29]

No offense of course
Oh man, that genuinely makes me like it even less.