My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well it sounds pretty stupid. If you liked the name so much you can write fanfics with it. Burdening a real life person with it sounds a little conceited.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Soede Stuff said:
To that I say Kaitlyn, Caitlin, Katelyn, Katelin, Kate-Lyn, Caytelyn

People MAY have trouble pronouncing her name initially, but I can assure you that once they know it, it's far more memorable than the more common names.
When you call out Tali'zorah in the park, ONLY your kid will come running.
She'll never accidentally answer a stranger calling out a name in a mall cause, dude, she doesnt have to Share her name.
Add in catelyn to that list.

I have to go with just about everyone else and say Put zorah as her last name. It really is frustrating to have people mess up you're name with every document ever. My name is rather unconventional in the sense that it is only two letters. CJ is my entire first name, with no middle name. Yet every time I get an award from somewhere, they always write it as C.J. Which may seem like nick-picking, but I've also stories from my dad about trying to get my social security and whatnot setup, which was difficult a process apparently.

So go with Tali for the first name and Zorah for the middle. It sounds awesome and people will be less likely to fuck it up all the time. Also, Tali sounds like an awesome name.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I like it, and I even think she might come to like it, but you're deluding yourself if you think she won't get teased for it. Middle schoolers will tease you for no excuse, given the excuse of a name like that . . .

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Whatislove said:
JoJo said:
Whatislove said:
Coming from my perspective, which is: A guy who changed his name to a video game name FROM a perfectly normal, common name.
Ah, so you did go through with the change in the end, I remember voting in your thread last year. Out of interest, which name did you end up picking, was it the Prince Vegeta one?
I will make a new thread at some point within the week when I get back home so I have access to a computer, I don't fancy typing everything on my phone lol.
Ooh, I remember that.

I'd be interested in an update on this too, to see how you got on.
Looking forward to the thread.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Tali isn't bad. It sounds like the name of a person whose name may have been inspired by Mass Effect.

Tali'Zorah sounds like the name of a kid whose identity is a homage to Mass Effect first, and a person on their own right second. Intentions aside, since I know that yours are good, you probably don't want your child to feel like their existence is primarily an expression of your love for any fictional character, and that the thing that identifies them as a person is not actually theirs. Besides, what if she doesn't relate to Tali when she gets older?

Alternatively, I could make my point in a super nerdy way and point out that the name scheme is Tali (First Name) Zorah (Last) nar Rayya (Home ship). By naming her Tali'Zorah, you are essentially giving her 2 last names. Name her Tali, give her your last name, and you will be both more true to the ME universe, AND avoid all the trouble that comes along with your current plan since Tali can be a shortened version of Talia (Batman bonus!) or Natalia.

Ravage

Aug 24, 2013
If it was me and my wife...

Tali is okay, I like it.

Tali'Zorah, not so much.

If you really, ABSOLUTELY want Tali'Zorah, at least leave Zorah as the middle name, either that if you do make the full name her first name, make her go by Tali.

It's like getting a tattoo of, say, your favorite band. Or a tattoo of your girlfriend's name (please guys don't ever do that.) You may like it now but some years later you look back on whatever it may be and think "I really shouldn't have done that." Because at the time you liked the band, but now your tastes have changed over the years. You don't care for that band so much anymore, right? What if your girlfriend turned out to be a complete psychotic bee-yotch? You're stuck with it!

So.. Just choose wisely. Because once you commit to it, you CAN change it, but it's a lot of legal work, on top of whatever other trouble may come with it.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I agree with most that it could work with Tali as her first name and Zorah as her middle name. That way you still get to pay homage to a favorite chracter. Though it may make people assume that she is Jewish or that you and your wife are very religious. Tali is a Jewish name and Zorah is the name of a city in Judea.It was the city that Samson was born in.

The Thundercats cartoon came out the year that I was born. And I found out when I was in middle school that my mom wanted to name me Cheetara because she watched the show while she was pregnant. My dad talked her out of it. Considering my current interests and friends I am so glad that he did...I'd never live that down.

Shim3d

Nov 20, 2011
One of my best friends is called Erekose (the protagonist from a standard fantasy setting novel called The Eternal Champion) so you can't get much nerdier than that.
I'll add that pretty much everyone thinks his name is unique and cool.

Just food for thought.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
I knew a girl who had her first baby at seventeen (and is now nineteen and pregnant with another), and she named her baby Lyric. Because, you know, music and lyrics are so deep, and meaningful, and totally speak to her, and represent her and her daughter completely, and live, laugh, love, and... Yeeeeeeah, can't get anymore obnoxious/stupid than that, really.

Tali'Zorah just sounds very foreign, and she can easily go by "Tali". Before I was asexual, I was going to name my baby girl Brynhild, but just call her "Bryn" for short. I don't really see a problem with your choice of name, as it's modifiable and unassuming (unless the people she's introducing herself to are gaming geeks).

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Keep the Tali, ditch the Zora.

I know I'm just repeating the common sense everyone else has likely already said, but that kid is gonna live the rest of their life with that name and you don't need to give future kids ammo to which to taunt them with all for a brief flash of geekiness you had, and being named after a game character whose popularity might not have the same connotations then as it does now is a gamble.

Shim3d said:
One of my best friends is called Erekose (the protagonist from a standard fantasy setting novel called The Eternal Champion) so you can't get much nerdier than that.
I have no idea what that book is and nor would most potential class bullies. So yeh it's gonna fall under a unique and cool sounding name rather then one to be teased at.
Now imagine if your friend was named Gandalf or Froddo, something popular that would actually be known and identifiable as taunting material...Would have been a different story and at the very least your friend wouldn't have gotten the same positive comments about his name.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Valderis said:
Cool name for a kid.

But yes, you are crazy.

Still, all this will do is add a little extra splash of crazy to an already insane world, difference is that its the good kind of crazy that will make the world a little bit brighter and more fantastical.

Or the child will hate you forever because you gave her a weird fucked up name which will ostracize her for the rest of her life.

But hey, what are you supposed to do? Giver her a boring normal name that is shared by ten's of thousands of other boring people? Just so she can fit in?

Yes. Yes you should.

No person is made boring by a "boring" name, and no person is made interesting by an "interesting" name. And who are you to decide that your daughter doesn't get to fit in? Giving her a normal name in no way guarantees that she'll fit in, but giving her a weird one pretty much guarantees that she won't.

Edit: Rereading your post, I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Little help here?

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
Sorry if this somehow belongs in gaming discussion.

Anyway, tomorrow my daughter is scheduled to be born. I'm freaking out and all that, but that's not why I'm here. Since day 1, her first name was always going to be Tali'Zorah. It's not necessarily "named after Mass Effect", but rather my wife fell in love with the name during our first playthrough of ME1 many years ago. Confused friends and relatives are told "we wanted a nice Quarian name" just because it's funny to see the confusion become worse.

All that aside, a couple of people have told me that we're nuts for giving a child that name. I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that? For further discussion value, this thread can be about the entire concept of video games being used to inspire names.
Name her 'Edward'. Keep 'em guessing.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Gvaz said:
There's a Zelda Williams and she's okay with it.
Well, "Zelda" is an actual name; ever heard of Zelda Fitzgerald? In other words, you can be named Zelda without being named for Princess Zelda, which is probably part of why a Zelda probably won't mind having that name. (In fact, Princess Zelda was actually named after Zelda Fitzgerald, I believe because Miyamoto thought the name was pretty.)

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Tali is a fine name, Tali'Zorah goes on a bit too much.
One thing I think you should consider is maybe not have her play video games too much. You know, just a parent thing.

Potential bullying in school? Make sure she does after-school activities and don't dress her like a hobo; she'll make plenty of friends.
Real issue? She might be passed over for jobs because of strange name.

I have an extremely strange name and I never thought it was the sole reason for any teasing I got. All these nay sayers are kinda being insecure. Its school, not the goddamn hunger games.

(My first name has only two letters in it)

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Really? There isn't something neat to finding out the origin story to your name and finding out "Oh this is the character my parents thought very highly of to name me after"?
Yeah but see, kids are not replicas of their parents. They may have similar mannerisms but they are in fact individual people with their own like and dislikes. What if this kid plays the game and decides they fucking hate Tali as a character? What if they aren't into video games at all?

OT:
DrunkOnEstus said:
Yes as a parent you have every right to call your kid what you want, but remember that it's their name, and they're going to have to carry it around for the rest of their life (or fork out hundreds of dollars to change it).

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
To everyone else I couldn't quote right now - Holy balls this thread got insane quickly. The name is not and cannot change, my wife was deadset on it years ago and it's already on official papers and what not, not that I even want to change it. Now I'm unsure why I even asked, considering that I can't do anything about it and I'm apparently a bad person who's ruining a life. It's alright though, I've got bigger things to worry about right now. Thanks everyone.
Massive points for sticking to your guns about it, I'll give you that. Maybe it should have been considered to be a first and middle name before hand. Thinking of how the kid will have to have that name for the rest of her life should always be considered heavily. With that said, it's by no means a bad name. And of course, it will be shortened by pretty much everyone.

And hah, my name is Cameron. Grade 4 is when people learned Camera could be used as ammo. Didn't last long, but man, I got riled up over it XD Kids, as you said, will always find something to use to tease someone. Just be ready to talk to her when it does eventually happen. It happens to pretty much everyone when they're younger, no doubt.

I'll leave ya with saying that again, good on ya for sticking to what you both wanted. And congrats to you! Hope her life is wonderful, and I hope you all become a lovely, happy family together :3

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Blow_Pop said:
If you potentially want your child to hate you later in life, then by all means name them that.

My name is fairly common. I STILL get shit for it. I hate my parents for the name. And fucking despise my name. I can't figure out a name I like enough to change it to So for now I am stuck.

Tali is a good name but seriously think about the possible ramifications. Girls are evil, vile, vicious creatures from personal experience. Especially to each other (thanks hollywood and society you fucks) so be prepared for possible coming home from school in tears days/months/years. On the flip side, your child name her what you want. It could work out well. And could prevent her from gaining employment because employers are shallow assholes.
Come now, it can't be THAT bad if it's fairly common... Right? (PM me it, out of curiosity? I won't tell a soul!)

Edit: Just checked your profile again. Blow Pop can't seriously be common in some place in the world... Could it? o_O

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
delta4062 said:
I love how the OP thinks that the logical sounding people here are just insane.

Really?
Eeeeeyup... Weird. It's just some help trying to be given from the GAMER side of the world. Nothing to be seen as horribly negative, more as something that a spectrum of the world will see it as. I think that's good stuff to have at your side, as mixed as responses have been