My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
I'm sure she'll be happy that she has that name when she finds all the erotic fan art and fan fiction about the character she was named after.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Just Tali would have sufficed.

The whole thing is going to probably be a source of suffering for the kid, not to mention everyone will probably shorten it to just Tali anyway.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
For Christ's sake, name her something normal so she doesn't get the shit bullied out of her. I would try to be civil but at what point did you think this was a good idea? Do you think your daughter is only going to be capable of either being a popstar or a waitress, because Managing Director Tali'Zorah doesn't exactly sound professional, does it?

How is she going to explain it to people? "Well, my parents quite liked Mass Effect and Tali-Zorah is this alien lady whose race is almost extinct because they're very susceptible to disease and have been nearly completely destroyed by their own creations." There's another name for a character that apes this storyline: Frankenstein. Or perhaps "My parents just liked the name" will be better.

Also, aren't themed names meant to be reserved for pets and other animals and I firmly believe that's because they can't talk back and don't understand. Thank Christ Tali and Talia are real names but, even then, she'll change it. I'm 100% certain of that. There's no chance Mass Effect will have the cultural impact it has now, and, when you look at it, how many normal people really know and recognise the secondary characters of even a few major video game franchises today?

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
DrunkOnEstus said:
Sorry if this somehow belongs in gaming discussion.

Anyway, tomorrow my daughter is scheduled to be born. I'm freaking out and all that, but that's not why I'm here. Since day 1, her first name was always going to be Tali'Zorah. It's not necessarily "named after Mass Effect", but rather my wife fell in love with the name during our first playthrough of ME1 many years ago. Confused friends and relatives are told "we wanted a nice Quarian name" just because it's funny to see the confusion become worse.

All that aside, a couple of people have told me that we're nuts for giving a child that name. I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that? For further discussion value, this thread can be about the entire concept of video games being used to inspire names.
Yes. You are totally off base. Which doesn't guarantee that she'll be taunted and teased for it, or that if she is taunted and teased it will be because of it. Kids will tease and taunt each other regardless of what you name her, and with the proliferation of names in entertainment over the past 10,000 years, you might find that she's teased because her name is "Tali" and there's some cartoon out there from Europe with a crazy geeky guy character named "Tali" and that cartoon is played in your area on a cable package you don't get so you have no idea that it exists until your daughter comes home crying because she's being called a boy and that she has a boy's name.

As an example, my uncle is named "Scott", and his parents are farmers. Growing up in the late 70's he was teased mercilessly with "Beam me up, Scotty." even though he wasn't named after the Star Trek character, nor did he have any idea who or what the character was. (being the late 70's and out on a farm, his family didn't watch TV much, and only had the 3 channels they could get on rabbit ears antenna) Scott is a totally normal, boring, vanilla name. He wasn't named after anyone, my grandparents just looked at him and said "He looks like a Scott" when he was born. And still he was mocked mercilessly because there was a TV character named "Scotty" who was popular in the area around the same time he was growing up.

Oh, and yes, yes you are crazy for naming your child after a game character. Still, better Tali than Wrex.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Gary Thompson said:
I'm sure she'll be happy that she has that name when she finds all the erotic fan art and fan fiction about the character she was named after.
To be fair, erotic fan art probably exist for many women, real or fictional, who surpass a certain popularity threshold with younger audiences.
Still, you're totally right, if those sites are still up in 10-15 years, teenage boys will have a jolly good time if they're searching for rule 34 & Tali'Zorah - Tali'Zorah herself, however, perhaps not quite as much.

Gluzzbung said:
There's no chance Mass Effect will have the cultural impact it has now, and, when you look at it, how many normal people really know and recognise the secondary characters of even a few major video game franchises today?
I quite liked Mass Effect, obviously, and played it myself a lot, and I'm not even sure if I will be able to remember all those characters myself in 15 years or so. Thinking of Baldur's Gate II of the same company, chances don't seem to be that good.

Anyway, just ask anyone named after some character of a pop movie or book or a singer that happened to be popular around the time of their own conception but nobody knows anymore today. I'm sure those parents were just as certain that their kids will love their names as much as they did themselves, but if you ask these kids today, well, it didn't exactly turned out this way for everyone. After learning what my own mum enjoyed reading or watching during her late teens & early twenties, I have to say that I'm quite glad that she didn't turn there for inspiration, but to the Bible instead. And I say that as agnostic.

JackApostrophe

Jan 5, 2014
If you and your wife love the name then go ahead and call her Tali'Zorah.

Kids will always be made fun of whether they have strange names or not, and nobody has a perfect life in the first place. There are far, far worse names in the world and far, far worse reasons to give someone a particular name.

I was bullied because of my unusual name for a long time, and when I was old enough I chose to legally change it. I added to it.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Blow_Pop said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Blow_Pop said:
If you potentially want your child to hate you later in life, then by all means name them that.

My name is fairly common. I STILL get shit for it. I hate my parents for the name. And fucking despise my name. I can't figure out a name I like enough to change it to So for now I am stuck.

Tali is a good name but seriously think about the possible ramifications. Girls are evil, vile, vicious creatures from personal experience. Especially to each other (thanks hollywood and society you fucks) so be prepared for possible coming home from school in tears days/months/years. On the flip side, your child name her what you want. It could work out well. And could prevent her from gaining employment because employers are shallow assholes.
Come now, it can't be THAT bad if it's fairly common... Right? (PM me it, out of curiosity? I won't tell a soul!)

Edit: Just checked your profile again. Blow Pop can't seriously be common in some place in the world... Could it? o_O
You checked my profile but didn't check the link to my facebook which has my actual name on it? Please tell me you are joking that you think my name is actually Blow Pop? (spoiler: It's not. It's a nickname from a job)

But since you asked. My actual name is April. Naming your child after a month that has plenty of songs/rhymes about it is NOT a good idea. And it makes it worse when your parents tell you that you got named that because you looked like April sunshine when you came out of your mum. And it's wonderful being in any month NOT April and getting told to shut up or go away or something because it's not your month and people actually expecting you to do so and getting pissy with you when you don't. Ape-face was a very popular one too during my school years. And April fool's day (April 1st) is the worst fucking day ever with my name. That and the general assumption I was born in April (I wasn't. My birthday is coming up really soon actually). Also having phrases associated with your name and books associated with your name like "Crazy April" (there is seriously a book called That Crazy April, I own it thanks to someone's idea of a joke gift) isn't fun either.
Facebook said the page was unavailable. That, and pretty much anything else said that was legit (I also didn't wanna creep too hard). I dunno, if someone could be named something like Hashtag, I had no doubt Blow Pop could have been legit. My bad XD And you said you can't think of a better name so you're stuck with April (Which is a fine name by the way), but if you hate it THAT much, wouldn't anything else be better? I don't see the whole issue when thinking about it that way. I guess it is your name, so you're gonna want one that you wanna keep. But in light of how much crap you've gotten from it, I think anything could be better. But that's just how I see it (Happy bday when it happens by the way :3)

samgdawg

Apr 1, 2011
Now, I'm not saying your in the wrong here. However I will say that Tali'Zorah as a first name will result in some pretty harsh teasing and even bullying. Never underestimate the little devils called "kids". Just call her Tali and most everything should be fine. Aside from that, your not really bad/crazy people about it at all, so long as you refrain from actually referring to her and believing her to be Tali'Zorah. I must say though, that is a hilarious prank you've been pulling on your friends/family.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
bug_of_war said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Really? There isn't something neat to finding out the origin story to your name and finding out "Oh this is the character my parents thought very highly of to name me after"?
Yeah but see, kids are not replicas of their parents. They may have similar mannerisms but they are in fact individual people with their own like and dislikes. What if this kid plays the game and decides they fucking hate Tali as a character? What if they aren't into video games at all?

OT:
DrunkOnEstus said:
Yes as a parent you have every right to call your kid what you want, but remember that it's their name, and they're going to have to carry it around for the rest of their life (or fork out hundreds of dollars to change it).
I mean if my name came from a book, even if I hated reading, I'd want to at least know the plot of the book if not read it out right... But I'm also a sentimental person and so the idea of picking a name as such would mean something to me.

If I weren't sentimental? Then I wouldn't give a damn really what I was called. So long as my name ain't "Cockface" I'm good.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
BarbaricGoose said:
The Enquirer said:
See I actually think if someone were to give you the nickname "Graham Craker" that might be kind of neat. As you stated you don't seem to think that's the case. For a while I had an afro (or something close to it) and people still call me "Frozo". I didn't mind it when I had the afro and I don't mind it now. So really I think it is going to depend on the child a lot as well as the people they surround themselves with.
Well, this was back when I was five or so. As I grew up, and people (Including me) started realizing "Graham Cracker" wasn't really much of an insult, it kinda fell off.

You're right, though--if I was called Graham Cracker nowadays, it'd be kinda neat.
Yea, like I said it really depends on who you surround yourself with. If you're surrounded by immature people (as many people in elementary school, middle school and to some extent high school are) they're going to pick on you. It's sadly all too common.

I do find it weird how people find a name like "Frozo" or "Graham Cracker" to be insulting when they're younger and actually a kind of neat nickname when they're older. I suppose it depends on the delivery as well.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
My first name is perfectly normal but I've always thought my middle name would have been better and somewhat wished my parents had reversed their order, and that's just with a normal set of names. Seriously do your daughter a favour and just pick a nice normal name that ensures she has a good set of initials. Like if your surname is Daniels then don't name your son Mark Anthony as he'll end up with M.A.D etc.

StormDragonZ

Dec 6, 2013
If you're hesitant on anything, you should think more on it.

If it helps make up your mind, my neighbors from across the street named their boy Bich because of a song from South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. It's Latin for generosity, apparently.

I told them that if he spells his name wrong, he could get suspended.

Atomic Spy Crab

Mar 28, 2013
DrunkOnEstus said:

Anyway, tomorrow my daughter is scheduled to be born. I'm freaking out and all that, but that's not why I'm here. Since day 1, her first name was always going to be Tali'Zorah. It's not necessarily "named after Mass Effect", but rather my wife fell in love with the name during our first playthrough of ME1 many years ago. Confused friends and relatives are told "we wanted a nice Quarian name" just because it's funny to see the confusion become worse.

All that aside, a couple of people have told me that we're nuts for giving a child that name. I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that? For further discussion value, this thread can be about the entire concept of video games being used to inspire names.
I'm sorry but she is going to get teased ALOT with that name

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
DrunkOnEstus said:

I think you'll be okay. Tali is a beautiful name, and there's nothing wrong with that (though I would cut out the zorah). A lot of people probably won't even know where it came from, especially children around her age group. It sounds like it could be a real name as well. It's not like you named your kid Fingolfin or something.

You could make it her middle name if you think she'd be embarrassed.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I'll tell you this now; it's a hell of a lot simpler than that guy on the forums some odd months ago who almost literally changed his name to "Prince Vegeta", so it could be MUCH worse.

That being said, I'm pretty much with everyone else (if it matters at this point) but I also agree that it doesn't matter what you name her, there will most likely be SOMEONE in her school that might pick on her whether she has an exotic name or not. Hell, people STILL don't know how to spell MY first name(and it's easy as pie) so I go by my middle name because at least people always know how to spell it.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
I mean if my name came from a book, even if I hated reading, I'd want to at least know the plot of the book if not read it out right... But I'm also a sentimental person and so the idea of picking a name as such would mean something to me.

If I weren't sentimental? Then I wouldn't give a damn really what I was called. So long as my name ain't "Cockface" I'm good.
And that is true...for you. Again I have to come back around to saying that when naming a child it is not about you, it is about giving them a name that THEY HAVE to carry around for the rest of their life, or a good portion. I've gotta echo others when I say that children are not accessories and should be treated with respect as a person. If you like a name like Tali Zorah, make it the kids middle name.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
I'll tell you this now; it's a hell of a lot simpler than that guy on the forums some odd months ago who almost literally changed his name to "Prince Vegeta", so it could be MUCH worse.
I checked back on that thread, and the question of whether he went through with the change is never resolved. Mr. Mithos Yggdrasil (*snort*) could be walking among us right now.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
bug_of_war said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

And that is true...for you. Again I have to come back around to saying that when naming a child it is not about you, it is about giving them a name that THEY HAVE to carry around for the rest of their life, or a good portion. I've gotta echo others when I say that children are not accessories and should be treated with respect as a person. If you like a name like Tali Zorah, make it the kids middle name.
Not sure if I like to enforce the lesson on my first child "It's important to be the same as everyone else so people don't pick on you."

Remember? The Johnny Cash song? A Boy Named Sue?

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Not sure if I like to enforce the lesson on my first child "It's important to be the same as everyone else so people don't pick on you."

Remember? The Johnny Cash song? A Boy Named Sue?
What does having a normal name have to with being the same as everyone else? My name is perfectly standard and I'm weird as fuck. It's just a choice between "Maybe ostracized" and "Definitely ostracized". I know which one I'd choose.