My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Like seems to be the consensus here, I think Tali sounds fine as a first name for a girl, but Tali'Zorah not so much.

Though if you want to follow Quarian naming conventions as closely as possible, maybe she should be called Tali'Zorah nar . Just saying :)

Still, in these modern times, there are worse "unconvential" names you could call your kid, and at least Tali manages to sound fairly unusual without being completely ridiculous at the same time.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
Tali By itself is okay, but Tali'Zorah? If anyone finds out that it's from a video game (which they will) she will be teased to know end. Depending on her personality it might even cause resentment in your daughter. I would recommend, if you must pick that name, to just stick with Tali, and drop the Zorah altogether.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, looking at the previous 6 pages of this thread, laced with negativity towards the idea, whatcha gonna do, now?

Needless to say, I agree with the majority. Tali is a lovely name, an existing name, too, if you're dead set, go for that. But remember, one day you'll still have to say "We named you after an alien in a video game." And you can't guarantee she'll be pleased.

Pets that are too stupid to be embarrassed can be given quirky video game names, not people, unless by their own choice.

It's like getting a tattoo based on a meme. Aged, instantly.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Harleykin said:
tali on the other hand I'd like that. zora as a middlename too (i think it's blue in japanese or something?).
Sora means sky in Japanese, so almost correct. :)

Since nerdy parents mixing Japanese in a name will no doubt evoke anime-ish associations, on top of the game origin, I'm not sure whether that makes it any better. ;)

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Multi-Hobbyist said:
It should be different in the future due to all the coddling and anti-bully campaigning going on in our modern day. But, fuck me for being an optimist, right? And you're damn right you can give a kid a weird name. Just look at all the different societies and cultures that exist on this planet. Seriously, what is it with people like you? A bland, grey society of John Smith's and David Davidson's, I bet that's your perfect world. Christ, expand your mind and learn acceptance. There are FAR more pressing issues we as a species should be focusing on, rather than who's naming their offspring what. Not only that, but who are ANY of us to judge? What worthwhile contribution have you or anyone else made to further humanities expansion and future? You'll have no choice but to excuse me if I shrug off your opinion and laugh, just as anyone else who isn't studying terraforming technology, alternate fuels or space exploration should do for my own words. As for #1, who cares? It's what people will say 20, 30+ years that matter at this point. Do you give a 9 year old shit for not getting laid? Well, maybe YOU do, but I sure don't. They're kids. Once they grow up and learn life, then they can judge for themselves. It's THEIR future. What we have to say about it really doesn't matter, it'll be their world. We can only shape it for them until then, and your narrow-minded resistance wont help. And as for #2, I said to worry years later. Which again, see my response to your #1.
There's nothing wrong with being an optomist. However, betting your childs name and future happiness on the future? That could not be more different.

Yes there are lots of different cultures and societies on the planet but I guarantee you that if I named my child جون , they would get picked on. A lot. I'm sure that's a normal name somewhere but it would cause absolutely NO shortage of needless confusion and abuse here!

We're not the ones abandoning acceptance here. However, people aren't born with it - it's something that must be learned and people/kids need time to learn it. The vast majority won't until mid-late teens so until then Tali'Zorah is going be butting heads with everyone who takes the mick out of her for it, which will be her classmates and she'll see them everyday.

There are more pressing issues around but these things still require thought. And if suddenly this is something that can only be decided by those in space exploration? Yeah great idea. Let's write NASA a letter and ask them what they think would be a good name. While we're at it we can ask how long until we get to meet the Quarians and Tali'Zorah is an accepted name.

Where are you getting 20-30+ years from? This will be an issue in 5 years when her parents aren't there to explain to the other kids in school that her name is ok. And as optomistic as I am, I'm not betting on bullying being eradicated in 5 years.

And again, I agree we are shaping the future for the next genration but it's not always going to be good. Naming your child after a fictional alien seems like a really poor start in life.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
The biggest issue I'd have with the name Tali'Zorah (I'm generally not a fan of naming kids for pop culture references, but at least both of those are real names) is the apostrophe. My in-laws have a last name that includes one, and it's frequently a pain in situations where some computer system can't accept non-letter characters (which is surprisingly frequent - hospitals, auto registries, the list goes on - and these are people in both Canada and the UK). Similarly, I have a first name with a hypen and that throws all kinds of systems as well (and again, it's a standard kind of name).

To knowingly saddle your kid with that extra letter on top of it not having the "It's a family name" excuse seems rather selfish to me, but hey.

Apr 28, 2008
I would've made the middle name "Tali" since that'd probably be the most "acceptable", and the kid could also have a normal name and just hide their middle one. Plus, middle names tend to be snickered at anyway. Wouldn't use Tali'Zorah for the whole name though, I think that's kind of crazy. But you do what you want. Your family and all.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
The answer to your question is, in fact, Mu, or rather the question is wrong.[footnote]The writer of this article is ignorant in this field, so take their post with a grain of salt[/footnote]
It might deviate from the norm, but things deviate from the norm all the time.

Firstly: For even a bit of change from the norm, you will be ridiculed like hell.
Secondly: The norm is constantly shifting.
Secondly point Five: You can shift a persons personal norm.
Thirdly: Landing on the norm will be ridiculed.

Assuming you introduce her to other kids at a young age, have a decent school around, and make it so that people know her, they might accept her. In the end, a name is a label, and, like all labels, will be used against people. And, like all labels, are meaningless. They might pester her, she might be bullied, but she may not, it's just flatly uncertain. Children can be cruel, or they can be nice, in the end, it's a coin flip. Just don't move too often(or at least until middle to high-school, where it may/may-not be attractive).
Auron225 said:
If I were to name my child جون
What you did there.
I see it.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Tali is fine. Zorah is fine (tho it will add those LoZ fans to the ones from ME). Tali Z. is badass. Tail'Zorah will make her life miserable.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Also I'm just gonna leave this here. There can be serious consequences for giving your child irrational names for the sheer sake of standing out;

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/24/familyandrelationships.newzealand

EDIT:

wackymon said:
Auron225 said:
If I were to name my child جون
What you did there.
I see it.
;D It was the first one to pop into my head...

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
verdant monkai said:
What if your daughter plays mass effect and hates it and dislikes Tali? She would be pretty annoyed you chose it.
Thats not realistic in the slightest, come on.
Tali is universally loved.

Snowpact

He is the Walrus
Oct 15, 2008
For some reason, the topic reminds me of a Johnny Cash song.

OT: I very much like the name Tali. Zora(h) is actually also a nice name. The combination Tali Zora(h) is, too. But I personally think that making it one name and keeping in the ' makes it a wee bit too complicated. Of course it's only a minor inconvenience to spell, but I actually like 'just' Tali more. But that's just my two cents.

Whatever you and your wife decide to name your daughter, I wish you the best of luck and happiness together. Oh, and the best of luck choosing the final version of the name :).

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Congrats on becoming a parent!!

At first, I thought "Noooo! Not that! Don't name her that!" . . . but after a few minutes of contemplation - fuck it. My daughter's school is filled with kids with ridiculous names. Except, see, they're only ridiculous to me. To the kids, and their parents, they're totally normal. And even "serious" names are ultimately pretty silly / pointless. I tried to give my kid a "normal", yet weighty / meaningful name . . . but that was over ten years ago. I was moved by (less obscure than I thought) symbolism. In hindsight, I could have done better, but it doesn't matter. Her name is her name, and it works. It's entirely possible, even probable, that you'll look back someday and feel . . . not regret or shame or anything all that bad, but you might feel a little silly. But so fucking what? So does everyone - and like I said at the beginning of this *should-have-been-split-into-multiple-paragraphs*, there are gonna be tons of other kids with similar names. Just think of this as the first of a great many wonderful mistakes you get to make! Trust me, there will be many!

Again, congrats! Don't let the bastards get you down. Best wishes for you and your family. :)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Chemical Alia said:
The only exception is "Thwomp." For a cat.
I pity the fool who doesn't name their pet cat "Bowser."

Or "Meowser" if you prefer, but be ready to get hit by one or more of your friends.

I'd name a pet after a game character, but not a person. Unless that name is a real, common name (Jack, James, Dante, etc.) My dog just so happened to be named King in homage to Ness' dog from Earthbound.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
Just yet another person saying that Tali is a fine name, Tali'Zorah is going to make the kid get picked on and she's either going to legally change it or start going by another name as soon as possible. My brother is naming his kid Shepherd but that, like Tali, is a fine name that doesn't instantly shout its origin and it's standard enough to not make him miserable.

But I mean, do whatever you want. It's only the rest of their life. Just remember that whatever you do for a child should be for THEIR sake, not yours, and that includes naming them.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
I'm on board with the people who've suggested Tali as the first name and Zorah as the middle name, so that she has the option of easily going by one, the other, or both if she so desires. I also agree with those who feel that making her first name Tali'Zorah would almost certainly get her teased down the road -- no matter how popular Mass Effect is or isn't in future years.

If nothing else, every teacher on every first day of school will comment on it and ask her about it (and thus all her classmates will learn about it whether she likes it or not), and she'll be sick of it by second grade.

Tali is a beautiful name and a good choice, and I don't think she'd ever be teased for it or regret being given the moniker. I hope the birth goes well, that mom and baby come out of it okay, and God bless all of you!

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WY_mM6jrw
sorry, i had to

OT:
of all the weird names out there, that's mild. it might raise a few eyebrows here and there but i don't see it being the target of ridicule or anything like it.

the only thing that would really rattle my cage is if she decided to become an engineer. especially a military one, then all bets are off >:p