My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
Sorry if this somehow belongs in gaming discussion.

Anyway, tomorrow my daughter is scheduled to be born. I'm freaking out and all that, but that's not why I'm here. Since day 1, her first name was always going to be Tali'Zorah. It's not necessarily "named after Mass Effect", but rather my wife fell in love with the name during our first playthrough of ME1 many years ago. Confused friends and relatives are told "we wanted a nice Quarian name" just because it's funny to see the confusion become worse.

All that aside, a couple of people have told me that we're nuts for giving a child that name. I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that? For further discussion value, this thread can be about the entire concept of video games being used to inspire names.
well kids are going to take the piss regardless and she can always change it and divorce you guys if she really hates it. but being named after tali cant be any worse than being named after some stinky incontinence riddled senile or dead ancestor

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
I'm generally against this kinda thing as it seems to always result in misery for the kid in later life.

However I'm all for compromise and have to agree with what several people have already said:

Tali'Zorah - No! No! No! She's a great character and all that but you just KNOW she will cop flak for this. Also, from your comment about furthering confusion, it sounds like you are at least partly choosing the name just to fuck with people's heads. Not cool.

Tali Zorah - I'd say that's fine. With just a small alteration you've kept the name you want and it's going to be a lot less likely to attract aggro.

Oh and congratulations in advance on the birth of your daughter!

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
Tali-Zorah is like getting a FF7 tattoo. It's ok if you do it to yourself. But don't do it to someone else.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Snowpact said:
For some reason, the topic reminds me of a Johnny Cash song.
You mean this one? [http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/aboynamedsue.html]

OT: For me, there has to be a fine line you have to walk. Tali would be fine, but not the full thing. For instance, I have a cousin named Skyler. She is the only person That I have ever heard of with that name, and yet it doesnt sound too outlandish.

As for naming after fictional charaters, I would say as long as it sounds real, its fine. If they ask, say that you liked the name (which I assume is true anyway). Me and my girlfriend have already talked about names, and while they are named for fictional charaters (for the most part), they sound like real names.

We planned up to 4 possible, 2 daughters and 2 sons. In the order that they would be named by first born:
For Daughers:
1) May Annabelle M***** -May [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/May_(anime)] from Pokemon, Annabelle is nothing in particular. But I have met women in real life named May, so its not TOO outlandish.
2) Rose Cassidy M*****- From Cass In Fallout [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon_Cassidy]. Neither name is too outlandish though, just kind of old. But we both like older time periods, so it can be explained by that.

For Sons:
1) Robert Lee M*****- Robert E Lee [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E_Lee], of course. However, both Robert and Lee are both common first and middle names, so nothing to see out of place here.
2) George David M*****- A combo of George Patton [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton] and Dwight David Eisenhower [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_D._Eisenhower], as both have last names that would be too noticable as "Named after Person X" if left alone, while George and David are more common.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Yea I think the name is a bit weird, but I guess you will probably be using Tali for short? That doesn't sound bad at all. I think that a person's name is what they make of it, sure you don't get to choose it yourself but you can choose what your friends know you by, it's what I did, though I have a much more conventional name to begin with.

tranceformat

Mar 14, 2012
Okay I will admit I have never played Mass Effect but the first thing that popped into my mind was "why not Talia?" Assuming you are from an english speaking country,Tali may be awkward to pronounce,moreso than Talia(IMO).Yeah its batman-inspired but I just cannot shake it

Lucifiel

Sep 8, 2009
First off, congratulations!

Second off, I don't think it would be that weird. I'm pretty sure the bulk of her problems will be related to bureaucracy.

I hardly think she will be teased for her name being unique or weird. This is because she will grow up along with a generation of kids with weird names. Most of us grew up with Marys and Toms and Jacks and Elizabeths, so for us, this was the norm. She will grow up with Marys and Toms and Jacks and Elizabeths, but also with Norths and Wests and LaQuishas, Rains, Willows and Zaniels. That will be the norm for her.
Also, people's views on names, along with a lot of other things in life change over time.

Adults will not really care about the name or indeed, will be too polite to say anything about it if they dislike it. Let's face it. When was the last time someone spent more than, say, 5 minutes, judging people based on how they named their kids? I think we are well past that. Also, this particular aspect, if people are so worried about what others will say, will be mostly reflected on the parents and not on the actual kid.

As for the kids, well, even if she had a normal name, if they will want to pick on her, they will pick on her.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
pirateninj4 said:
Tali-Zorah is like getting a FF7 tattoo. It's ok if you do it to yourself. But don't do it to someone else.
That's pretty much 100% my thoughts on it. I wanted for the longest time to change my name to Rinoa but I would NEVER name a child that just because I love the name (though it is an amazing name....) since it'd be forcing my love of a game onto a blank slate of a human being.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
The name in itself isn't bad at all, to be honest. But, yeah, since it isn't the most common name it will probably be made fun of, especially the 'Zorah part. But... Well, you could always make Tali her first name and Zorah her second, so that way it'd basically be Tali Sarah Insertsurname, but much cooler. Honestly, I think you should go with it.

EDIT: Also, what's in a name? I hated my name for the longest time since people used to bully me for it, but eventually I grew to love it since it was different from others.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Starnerf said:
Tali seems fine as a first name. Zora is also a fine name. Perhaps you could split it into first and middle names? That seems like it would be a bit more acceptable. And I suppose the amount of teasing she gets would depend on how popular Mass Effect is in 5-10 years when she gets into school.
I was going to also suggest it might be better to have Tali as her first name and Zora as a middle name. There was someone I went to university with and she was called Storm, and her older brother was called Rainbow, or Rain for short. Storm was happy with her name, but Rainbow would often go by the name "Robert" instead. It all depends on the kid really.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Lucifiel said:
I hardly think she will be teased for her name being unique or weird. This is because she will grow up along with a generation of kids with weird names. Most of us grew up with Marys and Toms and Jacks and Elizabeths, so for us, this was the norm. She will grow up with Marys and Toms and Jacks and Elizabeths, but also with Norths and Wests and LaQuishas, Rains, Willows and Zaniels. That will be the norm for her.
Also, people's views on names, along with a lot of other things in life change over time.

Adults will not really care about the name or indeed, will be too polite to say anything about it if they dislike it. Let's face it. When was the last time someone spent more than, say, 5 minutes, judging people based on how they named their kids? I think we are well past that. Also, this particular aspect, if people are so worried about what others will say, will be mostly reflected on the parents and not on the actual kid.

As for the kids, well, even if she had a normal name, if they will want to pick on her, they will pick on her.
I promise you those names will not be normal - most of that is celebrities naming their children strange names for attention. Not even for their kids! Themselves mostly. There is a reason they are in headlines. For what it's worth, those celebrities are criticized heavily for it too. Peoples views do change, but not as fast as you may think.

I wouldn't be so concerned with adults publicly mocking her name. Moreso kids doing it. Kids have found much more trivial stuff to pinpoint on and mock - a name like that is just asking for it. Having a normal name won't make her bully-proof but it'll certainly help.

nyankaty said:
pirateninj4 said:
That's pretty much 100% my thoughts on it. I wanted for the longest time to change my name to Rinoa but I would NEVER name a child that just because I love the name (though it is an amazing name....) since it'd be forcing my love of a game onto a blank slate of a human being.
I completely agree - although funny enough, I don't think Rinoa is that bad :p It's borderline...

Zookz

Jun 8, 2010
I'd say it's fine. But, if you want to spare her the problem of having to spell her name out all the time or the potential harassment from peers about it, splitting it into first (Tali) and middle (Zorah) name seems great honestly. If you do choose the whole thing for her full first name, friends will most likely just refer to her as Tali anyways.

In the end, I think it's more about how you as a parent handles the issues if they come up. Teaching her to stand up for herself and realize that the people mocking her aren't worth her time. If the name really was over-the-top odd (Like violence? Really?), I'd say no but I don't think the name is ridiculous or offensive.

Then again, I'm wanting to name my first daughter Zikah or Halik, so maybe I'm not the greatest judge. :p (Yeah, they aren't references to anything and they are also only two syllabus making them easy to say, but they are odd names) Still, I say it's more about the parenting than the name; though the mileage may vary depending on the name of choice, of course.

Triforceelf

Feb 11, 2010
As I teacher I have something to beg of you, for the sake of your daughter:

Name her (first) Tali (second) Zorah. Tali'Zorah is a confusing hard to pronounce name. Tali is fine, and I've had a students with similar names. You'll end up calling her Tali'Zorah whenever she gets in trouble anyway, and Tali's first name in the games was Tali, not Tali'Zorah. Zorah was patronym.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Congrats!

Tali is a nice name however, if you make her entire first name Tali'Zora, you are basically guaranteeing that she is mocked in school. Maybe make Tali her first name and have Zora be a middle name.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Whatislove said:
Coming from my perspective, which is: A guy who changed his name to a video game name FROM a perfectly normal, common name.
Ah, so you did go through with the change in the end, I remember voting in your thread last year. Out of interest, which name did you end up picking, was it the Prince Vegeta one?

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
The Enquirer said:
See I actually think if someone were to give you the nickname "Graham Craker" that might be kind of neat. As you stated you don't seem to think that's the case. For a while I had an afro (or something close to it) and people still call me "Frozo". I didn't mind it when I had the afro and I don't mind it now. So really I think it is going to depend on the child a lot as well as the people they surround themselves with.
Well, this was back when I was five or so. As I grew up, and people (Including me) started realizing "Graham Cracker" wasn't really much of an insult, it kinda fell off.

You're right, though--if I was called Graham Cracker nowadays, it'd be kinda neat.