My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
A bit odd, but is still shit tons better that what the hell ever that named that CGI hellspawn from Twilight. What was it? "Rancid-acid" or something?

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
Treeinthewoods said:
Prediction: She changes her name once she is legally able to do so.

Do what you want, I guess if people came name their kids "North" or "Apple" Tali 'Zorah isn't that weird. I still think she will change it when she can though.
Don't forget "Grow up hating you for it". No offense but I know a few people named "odd" things and every one of them was tormented for it and grew up pretty bitter.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
I'm named after my dead great grandfather and my brother after our cousin who was killed in a coup in South America. That's just an example but what I'm trying to say is you should really put more thought and care into this besides some silly pop culture reference.

You really wanna explain to your adult child you named them after your waifu or whatever from some mediocre scifi game?
That's about the same amount of effort I put into naming my fire emblem character the other day.

You also do realize the kids name will be what sums up their entire existence more or less, I mean your name is the most basic part of your identity. Tali is a weird name and people will always wanna know why your kid has that name, so every time someone ponders that your kid will have to deal with the fact their parents named them after some lame thing in pop culture.

I know about this first hand, one of my best friends is named after trinity from the matrix and constantly got bullied for it and resents her parents.

You should really think more about this.

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
Wow. Look, bullying sucks all around, but there are FAR more possible things for children to find and make fun of for any child. My first two names are William Robert, and when shortened, becomes Billy Bob. You think I didn't get shit for that my whole life? How often I was called a "hick", or a "redneck, or a "sheep fucker" when in all actuality, I had never ridden a horse, or tractor, or even lived on a farm. Hell, on top of that, I went to 5 different elementary schools, so usually about the time that kids would stop picking on me for my name, I moved somewhere new and had a fresh batch of ravenous children to make fun of it. But I learned that eventually, you'll pee yourself in class, or your pants will fall down, or you'll slip and fall in front of everyone, and the kids will have new ammunition to use against you. Your name becomes an afterthought. You all really think that "Hur hur, you were named after a video game character" is really that bad? You have thinner skin than fucking grapes. I don't remember anyone ever being beaten up because of there name.

OP: It's awesome that you have the guts to do something like this. Some of these people are concerned about the welfare of the child to a ridiculous degree, but have obviously missed the bigger point. While Billy Bob is a shitty nickname, I eventually came to understand that I was named after my two maternal grandfathers, and my father was called Billy so that name came first for me. I was named that because my parents loved those people, and wished to respect them with me. For yourself, since both you and the mother agree, Tali'Zorah must represent the love you have for one another, in that it's obviously a character that touched both of you, which I assume only deepens your connection to one another. It's a name that means something to you. And in the long run, hopefully, it will mean something to your daughter.

For the record, I plan on naming my first son Isaac because of Isaac Asimov, Sir Isaac Newton and the biblical story of the Binding of Isaac (not the game). Is that a gimmick? All three examples are significant things in my life. What makes the name more valid than Tali'Zorah?

Not a fucking thing.

Quraz

Jan 5, 2014
(Made an account so I can post this)

I think, while a little odd, there's nothing wrong with an interesting name, I'm kinda disappointed at having a rather boring name like "Luke".
My brothers name is Boade (It's spelt weird ok) and that makes us the "Dukes Of Hazard".

I've got naturally copper hair and freckles and was kinda overweight as a kid, you'd think I'd have been the prime target for bullying, and while there was some it wasn't really noteworthy. And all of this was from Kindergarden to about 4th grade, but no one with a "weird name" had any problems unless they had other traits like -Overweight, race (Hopefully in 6 years or so that won't be a problem anymore, lots of schools are very multicultural these days), but most of all it's personality.
In highschool though it was even less of a problem, a tonne of people I'm great friends with and are quite popular or interesting are people with "odd" names like; Sheba, Schi, Oska, Deaná-Téa, Brohdi, Jarra (His brothers name's Othinus).
I'm not sure about primary school, but throughout highschool I never saw any of these people get picked on or bullied because of their name.
Name your child what you wish.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think Tali would be fine, but giving her the full name will most likely get her teased. There are lots of stories out there where parents give their children 'unique' names and the child is teased relentlessly for it. Some parents named their little girl "Tulula does the Hula in Hawaii" (I kid you not) and the state stepped in, took the child away from the parents and changed her name because the amount of teasing she was receiving was unbearable.

And I hate to do this, but do not assume your child will like her name just because you do. You know nothing about your child yet. She could end up hating video games, and knowing that she's named after a video game character could case her to hate herself. You are raising a human being, and you need to make sure your are not making that child's life needlessly difficult. Seriously ask yourselves, "Do we want to name her Tali because we like the name, the way it sounds, and how it has a special meaning to us, or are we naming her Tali because it's the same as that video game character?"

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
shatnuh said:
For the record, I plan on naming my first son Isaac because of Isaac Asimov, Sir Isaac Newton and the biblical story of the Binding of Isaac (not the game). Is that a gimmick? All three examples are significant things in my life. What makes the name more valid than Tali'Zoirah?
First off Isaac is a normal somewhat common name.

Second your reasons for wanting to use this name have far more meaning then "lel shes mah waifu" or whatever.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Giving your child a bizarre sounding name after a character from a currently popular videogame? Congratulations you get the Escapist Bad Idea Award.

Really the thing that bothers me the most is how selfish it seems, you clearly gave her this name for yourself, not because it's a name you think she'll like. For all you might know she might never play or be interested in Mass Effect.

It's like if your parent's had named you after Bubsy the bobcat because they were big fans of the early Bubsy games in the early 90s.

It'll probably end up just being shortened to Tali anyway, which is relatively normal. Just please don't name your son Urdnot-Wrex.

pirateninj4 said:
Tali-Zorah is like getting a FF7 tattoo. It's ok if you do it to yourself. But don't do it to someone else.
This. This is exactly how I feel. There's a reason most people go with fairly generic names most of the time, it's better than straddling the kid with a name that's possibly weird and somewhat embarrassing.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Your story is now a Kotaku article. [http://kotaku.com/a-father-says-his-baby-daughter-was-named-for-a-mass-ef-1494688590]
That...creeps me out a bit. I dunno.

Anyway - I can just relay a story here. It's the story of my mother - she has a completely unique name - I can guarantee that. She was named after her two grandmothers and while "let's splice their names together!" sounds like a great idea (erm, probably at some specific point in time it did. Maybe.), in practice it's just looks and sounds awkward and causes no end problems. Heck, but that's not the worse part - ironically, she has less problems with her first name, than her middle name - my grandfather had a slightly unusual name[footnote]the naming convention it's coming from is <middle name derived from the father's first name> [/footnote] and even though short, it seems that nobody can get it right. I've even had people trying to convince me I am wrong about the name of my own mother over it. Anyway - when institutions make mistake with one name, it's bad enough, but it's not unusual for them to mistake both of them which is a pain in the ass to handle.

I myself have to spell out my name pretty much any time I tell it to somebody who needs it[footnote]though it's no fault of my parents, really[/footnote], so it's almost become a habit to say it like "My name is ABC, that is A-B-C, XYZ, that is X-Y-Z" anticipating that people would ask me for the spelling. Because they do. It's annoying and seeing your name misspelled even more so (don't get me started on misspoken) and I really wouldn't wish it on anybody. After a while you'd think I'll get used to it but it still grinds my gears. My mother also doesn't like her situation.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
shatnuh said:
The Matrix came out in 1999. That means your friend is no older than 14, 15 if she's had a birthday in the last 4 days. If that's all she gets bullied for, she should consider herself lucky. And Jesus, The Matrix wasn't even the first time someone has named a girl Trinity!

You really should just grow up.
She herself told me that she hates her parents for treating her like a cat or something and picking such a dumb name. Also dismissing bullying by saying it could be worse is how dozen of kids end up dead.

Go ahead though and name your kid after you waifu or whatever, it will immediately show the quality and maturity of your character.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
I like it, i would love to name my daughter Urd, Belldandy, and Skuld. i am also likely to have girls than boys so it may work.

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
OlasDAlmighty said:
Giving your child a bizarre sounding name after a character from a currently popular videogame? Congratulations you get the Escapist Bad Idea Award.

Really the thing that bothers me the most is how selfish it seems, you clearly gave her this name for yourself, not because it's a name you think she'll like. For all you might know she might never play or be interested in Mass Effect.

It's like if your parent's had named you after Bubsy the bobcat because they were big fans of the early Bubsy games in the early 90s.

It'll probably end up just being shortened to Tali anyway, which is relatively normal. Just please don't name your son Urdnot-Wrex.
How can you call it selfish? What, do you wanna wait for the child to be born to let it give it own input? Have you ever heard of Picabo Street? Her parents called her "little girl" with the intent that she would choose her own name when she could, until she was three they went to Mexico, and her mom was forced to give her a name for her passport, choosing the nearby city of Picabo, Idaho. She wasn't even from there. Then she went on to be an Olympic level skier.

TL:DR: There are way worse names for way worse reasons and in some cases, prove to be no hindrance in having a successful life. Give the OP a break.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Lucifiel said:
Adults will not really care about the name or indeed, will be too polite to say anything about it if they dislike it.
You see that's where you're wrong. Unless the world is vastly different from today, there will always be human resources guys have to judge the merits of incoming applications within few minutes and thus will pretty much decide from their guts, and if you have weird names, you're application is more likely to land in the trash bin. That's just how the world is, and because there's a certain rationale behind this decision, I doubt it'll rapidly change. And that's just one salient example.

RT said:
thiosk said:
verdant monkai said:
What if your daughter plays mass effect and hates it and dislikes Tali? She would be pretty annoyed you chose it.
Thats not realistic in the slightest, come on.
Tali is universally loved.
Nope, she isn't.
Well, she's kinda cute. Other than that, she's insecure, socially awkward, a damsel in distress who has to be saved by Shepard several times because all of her missions end in failure, yet is miraculously promoted to the highest leadership position within the hierarchy of her people. Add to that that she's very young and a virgin and fawning over BroShep right from the start, and you have the main reasons for her popularity, I'd argue (and much of this is true for Liara, of course).

So is that really a character, a role model you would want your daughter to aspire to?

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
Mrsoupcup said:
shatnuh said:
The Matrix came out in 1999. That means your friend is no older than 14, 15 if she's had a birthday in the last 4 days. If that's all she gets bullied for, she should consider herself lucky. And Jesus, The Matrix wasn't even the first time someone has named a girl Trinity!

She herself told me that she hates her parents for treating her like a cat or something and picking such a dumb name. Also dismissing bullying by saying it could be worse is how dozen of kids end up dead.

Go ahead though and name your kid after you waifu or whatever, it will immediately show the quality and maturity of your character.
I'm not dismissing bullying, I'm saying that there are way worse forms of bullying than making fun of your name. What would you have her parents do instead? Name her like a dog? Every parent has the right to name their child. It's the right they get for making the child in the first place.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah it's always i really like this name or my wife husband really likes this name. It's a important issue think about it in great detail. This is not about you it will greatly affect your childs life. Don't be selfish and give her the name you think would benefit her the most.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Surprised that the world is still filled with people who get their panties in a twist when someone isn't named John Smithson and Smith Johnson

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
shatnuh said:
I'm not dismissing bullying, I'm saying that there are way worse forms of bullying than making fun of your name. What would you have her parents do instead? Name her like a dog? Every parent has the right to name their child. It's the right they get for making the child in the first place.
But you are dismissing her being bullied, your saying "hey it could be worse deal with it".

Children die because of that attitude.

Also that attitude of "its my kid I'll do what I want" is possessive and abusive.
You aren't naming your pokemon or some shit you're naming another living thinking feeling person.

Also I suppose you feel these parents were wronged:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2152679/New-Jersey-parents-named-children-Adolf-Hitler-Aryan-Nation-back.html

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Mirthor said:
Not weird at all. I have twin girls that are almost 4 that my wife and I named Leliana and Morrigan after dragon age
Well that makes you just as weird, but at least those names are easier to pass as normal names... I guess. From what little I remember about those two characters though, I'm not sure if you'd be all that happy if your girls aspired to become like their namesakes.

Mrsoupcup said:
shatnuh said:

And the thing is, Trinity is even a rather badass character in the Matrix (1). Now I don't know your friend at all, but if she was named after one of those characters who are popular for, uhm, I guess you might call it waifu-reasons, like Tali'Zorah, arguably, she might resent her name even more.

Edit:
shatnuh said:
Every parent has the right to name their child. It's the right they get for making the child in the first place.
But there are limits to this right. You cannot name your kid in any way you want, not even in the US, and in many other countries the laws are much stricter. And rightly so, imho, for the benefit of the child. And it goes without saying, I hope, that you also have a moral obligation towards your child to give him/her a name that is in his/her best interest, even if it does not match your personal preferences.