my gf is a pothead

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I could never date someone who even smokes pot at all, let alone someone who likes pot in a similar level as I do games.
There are far worse things than pot, but potheads just irk me too much. I just worry they want pot to become TOO legal.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Hey, my ex gf is a pothead, as you can imagine, it did not end well. I suggest you dump her, then live the high life of a batchelor

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
to reiterate every sentient person here, dump and run, your vision will return to normal when the secondhand has cleaned out of your system, the simple fact your mentioning it here means its eating you alive on the inside and will only become a serious issue when you finally snap.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Can I ask how old you both are?

I was in a similar situation but I was the one smoking and my girlfriend wasn't. I respected her and never smoked on the day that I'd see her. This was important for me: not only was I not smoking near her, but also on days I would see her because I didn't want to be stargazing and missing out. She never asked this of me nor expected it from me, it was something I did out of respect for her. Eventually I just quit, and now we're going 10 years strong. Yay us!

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I smoke pot, mostly as my "after work escape", in the same way someone might have a few beers after work.

I pack a bowl, hit it until its dead and play video games. Its a blast.

Its not a dangerous or addictive drug in any fashion, it might not be good for your lungs, but its not as bad as cigs (which I also happen to smoke).

If you aren't into it, don't do it, I'm willing to bet your g/f won't attempt to pressure you into it if you don't want to do it.

Just ask her not to smoke it while you're in the same room, to avoid the 2nd hand high (also called a "contact high") and everything should be gravy.

Don't listen to these replies that are all "nothing good comes out of drugs", pot isn't a "drug" as a drug something produced by human engineering, pot is just a plant that happens to contain THC. Its not nearly as serious as some of these folks make it sound.

Breaking up with her over it seems rather extreme if it's the only reason for doing so, if it was cocaine or heroine or something I might agree, but pot? Its really on the same level as breaking up with someone because they drink beer...hell, beer is easily 10x more dangerous.

Let her do her thing, maybe she'll grow out of it, maybe she won't.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
THAC0 said:
so, i met this girl.

we got along great, blah blah blah, now we are dating. It wasn't like either of us were looking for a relationship, but we ended up in one. not only that, but over the last couple of months we have gotten far more serious than we ever intended.

problem is, she's a pothead. I don't mean she smokes a bit of pot from time to time. I mean she is a freaking stoner that gets high several times each day.

now, i don't really have a problem with it, but it isn't my thing either. I confess to getting high a couple of times when i was younger, but i grew out of it and never really got into the scene. But since she and her friends think that pot is a lifestyle, that kinda puts us in separate spheres.

now, ignoring the fact that i don't really get the whole 420 culture and all that stuff. I have a couple of reason that would make it very very detrimental for me to get caught anywhere close to an illegal drug. and if you agree or not, pot is an illegal drug where i live.

so, how would you guys play this?
do i just go with it and hang out with her and her pothead buddies doing what ever it is potheads do when they are not playing hacky sack and talking about evil corporations?

or do i just insist that she respect my reasons to not want to associate with something that could really really screw me up worse than the average person?
Yeah if it is a major part of who she is, you can't ask her to change it. maybe you aren't well suited and you should give her number to a single stoner ; ) jk

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
Saelune said:
I just worry they want pot to become TOO legal.
LOL What?
Obviosuly we are not there yet. But lets say pot does get legalized. Lets say any guy can go into a store and buy some weed. Ok. Fine. Its also used in medication. But what if we get to a point where pot is so freely used that its almost expected to be used sometimes. Even if pot is legal, I dont think kids should be smoking it. It should atleast be treated as smoking cigarettes is now.

themattd1000

Nov 16, 2009
Disclaimer, haven't read the whole thread. Too lazy...

But, I'd say stick with her if you really like her. If she insists that you must smoke to be with her then leave her, unless you wanna smoke. If smoking does not interfere with your relationship then ignore it. Weed isn't that bad compared to other drugs.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
THAC0 said:
You know it's not a crime if you're hanging around with people who are smoking pot right? If you don't have any on you and you haven't done any, when the cops come don't run. If you're hanging to close to the smoke and caught some just explain it. Cops are people, dude, just be straight with 'em.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
Uh, my mums a pothead, and all her relationships fuck up... it starts off well and then she gets really abusive...

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
THAC0 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
You got this far with her without it coming between you, who's to say it'll ever become an issue. You don't have to do it just because she does and who says she'll ever ask you to.

PS: Stick with it. Cause from what I know of stoner girls, you have struck gold my friend.
we got this far, but now i feel bad because she has meet a number of my friends and many people from my social circle, she feels like she can't take me to meet her friends, because they are always smoking pot. seriously, they just never aren't smoking. and she is too, save for the time she spends with me.
Just say if it's possible for her to not do it around you, treat it like smoking. I guess, make sure she knows your position, and let it work out from there.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
If you like her then stay with her, hang out with her friends etc. When they want to get high however, leave unless you want to get high as well. Remember, if you hang out with them whilst they're smoking you might either end up smoking a bud too or maybe inhale some of the smoke etc. Either way, if the cops find your girlfriend and you're with her you're going down as well.

I understand that drugs have this "stigma" around them. The only reason this is so, especially for weed, is because it's illegal. It was the same with alcohol during the prohibition. Drugs being illegal is one of the main reasons those who are addicted to hard drugs can't/won't get help and why the drug "industry" is such a violent one. People will use drugs no matter if they're legal or illegal. No use in denying that by making almost all drugs illegal and then ignoring the problem that arise with trying to fight a "war on drugs".

If she smokes then that's fine and dandy, nothing wrong with it. She's an adult(I assume) and as an adult you should be able to decide what you do with your body. Doing drugs is a victimless crime. Hell, if weed was legalized I'd be much happier if my son/daughter smoked that instead of drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes My only problem with weed is that you never really know what the fuck you smoke since the industry isn't regulated at all. There's also the people you have to hang out with in order to get the drug. I smoked weed regularly a while back including that incense stuff and whilst I enjoyed it I stopped for those reasons.

Just remember that when you hang out with her there's always the risk of getting high since, well, peer pressure. You could also inhale the smoke by "accident" and suddenly you find yourself on the failing end of a little game I like to call "drug tests".

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
If it makes you feel better,I dumped a pothead girl once.The drop that made the bucket spill over was getting high with her parents.
I mean,think of the morale ramifications:"sure kiddo,smoke pot.It's illegal,but it's ok,no one will ever catch you".I can understand young people trying it,but once grown adults are saying doing something illegal is fine,and now a family activity,I just say "fuck no".

Feb 9, 2011
THAC0 said:
getting caught with a possession charge would be a great way to end my career before it gets started.
There's your answer. Drop her in all honesty. I had the same mentality when some of my friends started so smoke. I refused to spend time with them because I had planned on going into law enforcement and the quickest way to hurt my chances is to slap a drug charge on there. With how stiff competition is in this poor economy right now, I needed every edge I could get, which includes a clean record. I'd leave her, but that's me.

Big-T

Jan 11, 2010
Wow. I totally thought there would be a different reaction from everyone. but first, If you dont like the fact that she smokes I would say to have a conversation with her about it. because at the end of the day, if you really like her, what she does in her free time shouldnt matter, as long as you like the person she is when shes with you, then there shouldnt be a problem. just make it clear to her that you're not a pot smoker and you're not going to smoke. Im sure if u explain to her the fact that you'll get in trouble if you're around weed, she'll understand and do it when you aren't in the vicinity.

Also, little rant, but i just want to say to everyone that just because you smoke weed doesnt mean that you're a deadbeat, hippie, anti-corpo, loser, stupid or anything for that matter. Lets not forget that Michael Phelps smokes weed, and he got 8 gold medals in one Olympics. Also, I smoke alot of weed and I'm a straight A student in college. I know plenty of kids who have never touched weed and didn't make it to a university. Lets get out of high school with the stereotypes and judge people by their character, not by if they toke.

And all you pot-haters, enjoy the fact that Im now going to go roll up a blunt and smoke till I'm blazed. This next hit is dedicated to you.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Saelune said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Saelune said:
I just worry they want pot to become TOO legal.
LOL What?
Obviosuly we are not there yet. But lets say pot does get legalized. Lets say any guy can go into a store and buy some weed. Ok. Fine. Its also used in medication. But what if we get to a point where pot is so freely used that its almost expected to be used sometimes. Even if pot is legal, I dont think kids should be smoking it. It should atleast be treated as smoking cigarettes is now.
OK noone is advocating children smoking, whether it be tobacco or marijuana. "Expected to be used sometimes" like alcohol is at a wedding for the toasts? SO? it's better for you than alcohol! the only draw back is that you inhale the burning weed to capture the THC, but when legalised you can even take weed in pill form. The only reason weed is unsafe at all is because it is illegal.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Exocet said:
If it makes you feel better,I dumped a pothead girl once.The drop that made the bucket spill over was getting high with her parents.
I mean,think of the morale ramifications:"sure kiddo,smoke pot.It's illegal,but it's ok,no one will ever catch you".I can understand young people trying it,but once grown adults are saying doing something illegal is fine,and now a family activity,I just say "fuck no".
Because you can't decide for yourself, you can't way up the pros and cons yourself? doesn't sound like a grown adult to me