My idea for a new Fallout

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
JustRin said:
What about a Fallout game in europe or asia?
So, Fallout, a game where one of the central ideas is a retro-futurism based on 50s Americana, but one that takes place in Europe or Asia.

Europe or Asia.

Places that, notably, had very different cultures than anything resembling 50s Americana.

No.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Tax_Document said:
Appleshampoo said:
You know what'd be an even better idea for a new Fallout?

One where creatures don't spawn in the floor, then spazz out and make me switch the game off.
One where characters don't stretch randomly on death, spazz out and make me switch the game off.
One where people's heads don't spin on their shoulders, and make me switch the game off.
One where the isn't a million different bugs per square mile of the game world.

If you haven't noticed, graphics glitches scare the crap out of me :)
And I want people to stop whining about glitches, they're always bound to happen.

Actually come to think of it, Fallout 3 has never bugged out on me, must be your obsolete hardware.
Bull. Crap. There was a plethora of bugs in FO3 and NV. It's because Oblivion engine is awful on the side of suck. However, all this is irrelevant to the topic.

OT: That would be an awesome intro sequence, but the game would be sort of hard to flesh out, no pun intended. But as suggested above, a stealth spin-off could be fitting with this concept.

Vect

Jul 22, 2009
darth.pixie said:
You know...not sure if it was a bug or not, but I've seen ghouls in the NCR. In one of the outposts.
There are Ghouls that are NCR citizens and they can even be Rangers along with Super Mutants. Lore-wise however, the NCR as of New Vegas has gotten more bigoted towards non-humans.

While it be interesting story-wise, options are pretty limited in both gameplay and choice. In the lore Ghouls are generally physically weaker than humans with the only thing special about them is slightly higher perception and luck (and you can tweak those in SPECIAL).

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
But.....But......But then the protagonist won't be a White guy with stubble and Short Brown hair! And we all know that Publishers automatically assume that not a SINGLE Person on the face of the planet will play a game where the protag isn't a White dude with Stubble and Short Brown Hair!! (yes yes, Hyperbole)

Because, according to game publishers, the entire Human race is a big group of Racist BIGOTS....

OT: I think that's a great idea, actually.

Captcha: 10 cubed. Like literally a little superscript 3 after a 10. How do I write that?

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Appleshampoo said:
You know what'd be an even better idea for a new Fallout?

One where creatures don't spawn in the floor, then spazz out and make me switch the game off.
One where characters don't stretch randomly on death, spazz out and make me switch the game off.
One where people's heads don't spin on their shoulders, and make me switch the game off.
One where the isn't a million different bugs per square mile of the game world.

If you haven't noticed, graphics glitches scare the crap out of me :)
Well I have no graphic issues, I only have occasional crash. Check your graphic drivers/card and your setup, maybe there is issue with them. Because mostlikely the issue is on your side. I got a older model of a graphics card and I have issue with it and fallout but my new one has a lot of issues with fallout.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Okay, that is actually a genuinely good idea. I'm thoroughly intrigued. It never even occurred to me before, but the more I think about it, the more I think it would be an amazing idea. Except, I wouldn't fast forward 200 years in the future immediately. I think it would work better if the character had a few gradual skips forward in time as different stages in the "main quest" or main story are completed. 1 day after the bombs fell. 10 years after the bombs fell. 30 years after the bombs fell. 75 years after the bombs fell. It would be a change for the Fallout series, to be sure, but I don't see how this change would be inherently bad.

I mean, obviously, you'd be slowly decaying in between this time, until the end of the game where you'd basically just be a living corpse who couldn't move, but that in itself would be such an interesting gameplay mechanic. It would be a means of making the game increasingly challenging, and hence giving it a difficulty curve, with a satisfying and emotionally resonant story reason. I just love the idea of a final boss fight where you're essentially immobile and every single action you take is a physical struggle you have to fight your hardest to do.

Good idea.

Artinam

Jan 5, 2008
I like the idea, it creates quite a different feeling to the game and you will feel the discrimination of being one, whereas you can't help who you are (how many games explore this?).

This might get scary close the experience how it was to be afro-american 60 years or so ago in the US without actually being afro-american. Something I can only salute.

You have a diversity of ghouls you could play (Old, new, VAT experiment glitch (like Harold), skinny, big ect.).

Furthermore:
I'd love a game to atleast explore parts of Europe or Asia, you can have part of the game of it there. It would seriously deepen the setting.
Its like GTA, all of them are set in American cities. Whereas GTA London was something quite unique when it was released.

Then again, I'm biased as I'm a European.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I like the idea, but why would you start 200 years in the past just to fast-forward a few scenes later? If you want to play in Fallout's "present day," you could become a ghoul then, I think that's entirely possible (though not as cool).

Then there is the question of whether anyone today would publish a game with an ugly and weak protagonist.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sarpedon said:
Earlier today I had an interesting idea for a new Fallout while I was playing New Vegas... But now I can't seem to remember what it was.... Oh, there it is.

I imagined a Fallout where you play as a Ghoul. For the opening of the game (Imagine the beginning of Fallout 3 in Vault 101) You start of as a normal human being 200 years ago, on the day the bombs fell, going about your daily life. You'd get up, have little errands to complete that would serve as a tutorial to acclimate you to the game, and then at mid-day the nuclear holocaust would hit and you would have to flee for shelter as the shit hits the fan around you. The screen fades out as you enter your shelter, the glow of the fires outside leaking in... Fast forward 200 years to the present Fallout universe, with images and soundclips to represent said passing of time... and thats as far as I got. :< I can't think of what would go next.

Anyways, how does it sound? Do you fellow Fallout fans out there think it would be any good? And what do you think would go next?
awsome

it would be cool to be able to experience some pre war but also the actual event itself has alot of potential

also I thourght from a technical standpoint you would customize your adult face as normal...then after the bombs fall and the main story kicks its "goulified" like I dont know the texture is changes and other stuff (if that makes sense from a technical standpoint)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
plugav said:
I like the idea, but why would you start 200 years in the past just to fast-forward a few scenes later? If you want to play in Fallout's "present day," you could become a ghoul then, I think that's entirely possible (though not as cool).

Then there is the question of whether anyone today would publish a game with an ugly and weak protagonist.
it would have the fallout brand and probably a new engine so its not AS big a risk

and even then I guess it could be kind of a case of "hollywood ugly" I mean sure you would still be ugly but mabye not be byond the point of looking human ,like the nameless one from planescape torment, I mean you wouldnt have to look exactally like the current ghouls

they would still probably give you a little more hair and a nose

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
But.....But......But then the protagonist won't be a White guy with stubble and Short Brown hair! And we all know that Publishers automatically assume that not a SINGLE Person on the face of the planet will play a game where the protag isn't a White dude with Stubble and Short Brown Hair!! (yes yes, Hyperbole)

Because, according to game publishers, the entire Human race is a big group of Racist BIGOTS....

OT: I think that's a great idea, actually.

Captcha: 10 cubed. Like literally a little superscript 3 after a 10. How do I write that?
Not just hyperbole, that would apply better if the game were to have a white protagonist "with stubble and short brown hair" rather than a large focus on character customisation. It's really less exagerration and more of a minor off topic rant.

OT: Playing as a ghoul would be cool, but it could also prove problematic. Essentially it would end up as a simple re-skin, either with or without some major disadvantages and few, if any, advantage.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
The only fallout spinoff I want, is Fallout Australia. If america has so many things trying to kill you, imagine what the radiation would do too Australia's wildlife.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Because in five minutes and I threw up my arms, screamed "done" and shut the game off before throwing it in the garbage.
Did not happen. Unless you pirated the game and it cost you no money. Or you're a millionaire.