My school has just crossed the line from 'Idiotic Logic' to 'Batshit Insanity'

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
TrilbyWill said:
My school has made a few pretty bad decisions in the recent years. we all do exams a year early and over 1 year (despite them being made for 2 years and most universities only accept 1 years worth), firing all but 1 geography teacher, not letting pupils use a gate to go home/to the shops at lunch (for food) and cracking down on full-contact sports.

but now, they have taken that final step. SMT[footnote]Senior Management Team[/footnote] has snapped.

we arent allowed to hug any more.
or, more specifically, guys arent allowed to hug people. because theyre insane.
and no, i am not making this up. one of my friends got a warning for hugging another guy.

so Escapists, i ask of ye, what are your opinions on this?
and has your schools SMT ever done something this insane?
My high school doesn't have any geography teachers and their has never been a time when we weren't relegated solely to the cafeteria for lunch. If they took away male-on-male hugging I don't think we could cope...

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
baddude1337 said:
My school has the "six inch rule". You basically couldn't touch a member of the opposite sex by being flirty or in a relationship. I got detention twice and threatened with suspension for just hugging my girlfriend. It did depend on the teacher though, a lot didn't care but some of them were right dicks.
Say whaaaaaaat?! I'm speechless on this one. There is no way schools should be able to do that.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
My school calls home if you skip a class.

The government, in an attempt to "save the children", banned all unhealthy foods. They changed everything so you can get baked French Fries, but not fried ones. You can get pizza on whole wheat bread that tastes like cardboard. You can get diet soda but no "original" stuff.

And the VPs at my school hunt you down if you have an unexplained absence.

They also don't like wearing hats inside. I understand that one for manners' sake, but you can get a detention for it.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
At my school we use our laptops (private school) and we had wireless internet...this year we have wired internet so we now have routers on each table (lots of people at a table) using ethernet cables. It's just awful. The reason why they did this was...you ready? You'll laugh "Wireless gives off too much radiation and can cause headaches" While this may be slightly true I don't know of a single person who complained about that and even if they did have a headache they probably had it from looking at a bright screen or something.

Oh and "no signs of affection" is a policy in affect at my school too ¬.¬

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
Get out of that school, now. I don't know what your options are, but as long as there's another school in your area, find a way to go to that one instead. Banning hugs? Fucking seriously? The only two strands of logic I see there are homophobia and fear of sexual harassment law-suits.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
halofreak123 said:
baddude1337 said:
My school has the "six inch rule". You basically couldn't touch a member of the opposite sex by being flirty or in a relationship. I got detention twice and threatened with suspension for just hugging my girlfriend. It did depend on the teacher though, a lot didn't care but some of them were right dicks.
Say whaaaaaaat?! I'm speechless on this one. There is no way schools should be able to do that.

Yeah it was a very shit rule. To me it was a normal dumb rule as that's the school I went too. I guess it depends where you live.

Edit: I meant had as I am waaay past school now lol.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Kuroneko97 said:
My school wouldn't allow hoodies because we could be holding weapons in the hood.

Same reason they wouldn't allow cargo pants.
I'd love to see that headteacher's face when someone tells them that if someone wanted to, they could pretty much hide weapons anywhere.

"Attention students, from now on a routine cavity and strip search will be issue to any student entering the school grounds!"

Hell, some kid in my school hid a knife in his hair. Yes, I'm serious and no I don't know quite how he managed that.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
TrilbyWill said:
My school has made a few pretty bad decisions in the recent years. we all do exams a year early and over 1 year (despite them being made for 2 years and most universities only accept 1 years worth), firing all but 1 geography teacher, not letting pupils use a gate to go home/to the shops at lunch (for food) and cracking down on full-contact sports.

but now, they have taken that final step. SMT[footnote]Senior Management Team[/footnote] has snapped.

and no, i am not making this up. one of my friends got a warning for hugging another guy.

Well that is illegal as it infringes on your rights so you can tell your SMT to go f@*# themselves or be sued.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
SadakoMoose said:
local politics are seldom covered, often corrupt, and based mostly on familial relations and business partners than on serving the public.
You forgot to add that in many small areas the drug dealers n such tend to be in power. (the term drug dealer is being stretched due to lack of a better word here)

AtheistAndProud

Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, the summer camp I used to (And "used to" is key) work at banned all two-arm hugs.
We had to side-hug. Which is unendingly awkward.
It's like charging armpit-first onto somebody's shoulder.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
PowerC said:
TrilbyWill said:

My high school doesn't have any geography teachers and their has never been a time when we weren't relegated solely to the cafeteria for lunch. If they took away male-on-male hugging I don't think we could cope...
we have the problem of lots of social subjects students.
and, i forgot about this in the OP because my mind is 90% fucking and 10% food, if we dont clean up well enough we get kicked out in the weather (which is either rain, wind or non-specific coldness)

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
BRex21 said:
HalfLife205 said:
Soon they'll be teaching creationism.
Here in Manitoba there are a few schools that teach "intelligent design" as opposed to evolution and they don't stop there. My school required me to say the lords prayer every day at the beginning of first period or risk expulsion.
In the end i graduated from an adult ed centre.
Hang on, seriously?

I live in Manitoba, which school are you talking about... is it a public school?

ShindoL Shill

Jul 11, 2011
Jimbo1212 said:
TrilbyWill said:

Well that is illegal as it infringes on your rights so you can tell your SMT to go f@*# themselves or be sued.
i dont remember ho yay being in the British Constitution...

mitchell271 said:
My school calls home if you skip a class.

The government, in an attempt to "save the children", banned all unhealthy foods. They changed everything so you can get baked French Fries, but not fried ones. You can get pizza on whole wheat bread that tastes like cardboard. You can get diet soda but no "original" stuff.

And the VPs at my school hunt you down if you have an unexplained absence.

They also don't like wearing hats inside. I understand that one for manners' sake, but you can get a detention for it.
that sounds like my school so fucking much... except mine texts your parents directly.

JaceArveduin said:
SadakoMoose said:
local politics are seldom covered, often corrupt, and based mostly on familial relations and business partners than on serving the public.
You forgot to add that in many small areas the drug dealers n such tend to be in power. (the term drug dealer is being stretched due to lack of a better word here)
ours... live in council flats that have been set on fire twice in one week.
except the one guy who apparently stole smoke grenades and tracer rounds from the army training camp he went to.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
TrilbyWill said:
PowerC said:
TrilbyWill said:

and, i forgot about this in the OP because my mind is 90% fucking and 10% food, if we dont clean up well enough we get kicked out in the weather (which is either rain, wind or non-specific coldness)
Oy vey, is your school public? Also, I once touched another guy's head to get a fly off and my teacher scolded me for PDA, but I've theirs this nasty senior who makes out behind the buses with his freshman girlfriend all the time and nobody cares, schools today are ridiculously hypocritical

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
You know, I thought school was about learning and all that not hugging your girlfriend or other PDA's. Worry more about tests and the like than your social life...

ShindoL Shill

Jul 11, 2011
PowerC said:
TrilbyWill said:
PowerC said:
TrilbyWill said:

Oy vey, is your school public? Also, I once touched another guy's head to get a fly off and my teacher scolded me for PDA, but I've theirs this nasty senior who makes out behind the buses with his freshman girlfriend all the time and nobody cares, schools today are ridiculously hypocritical
yes'm we're a public school.
theres only two private schools in the area, and one's Catholic.

Andy Beaumont

Sep 30, 2011
my school used to lock toilets except for a 25 minute period in the middle of the day... i wrote a letter with my friend listing the hundreds of medical complaints caused by not being able to go to the toilet, listed legal liability cases proving if any student suffered from this they could easily sue the school and i also listed 2 separate european human rights violations it caused (i live in U.K) the next day the toilets were mysteriously open....

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
TrilbyWill said:
PowerC said:
TrilbyWill said:
PowerC said:
TrilbyWill said:

yes'm we're a public school.
theres only two private schools in the area, and one's Catholic.
yeah i've always thought ours is a broken system but sometimes private school take a few more liberties with rules and such

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Atmos Duality said:
Is your school from the 1930's?
Hah, in the 1930's they woulda been giving them rocks for use as gym equipment and the place wouldn't even have a fence.

TerribleAssassin said:
But that does seem pretty harsh, and my school really couldn't give a fuck about student contact, yesterday, I had a friend (lady) grab my leg in the middle of a corridor and wouldn't let me outside until I said the 'password.'
Sounds like how my school was, and we had over 5,000 students.